Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French bus driver slaps teenager for disrespect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    269 people think it's ok to assualt a child, but wouldn't be stupid enough themselves to do it?

Maybe not ,but still the majority of people reading this thread think he done right because people see we have a blameless society with the attitude i can act and do what i want when i want and nothing no one can/will do anything about, until you meet someone like this bus driver that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    What does this tell you.

That we live in a vicious and violent world, where many tend towards uncontrolled agression, even when their victim is a much weaker child.
    It is a chilling realisation for many, hence the kerfuffle this incident is causing.
    We are only a fine line away from unleashing the beast within many, and law and society is struggling to keep it restrained in those prone to such behaviour.
    The Lord of the Flies, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I am intruiged by some of the absolutes here, such as “corporal punishment is the answer” or “corporal punishment is never the answer”.

It is my humble opinion as a parent that there is a wide variety of disciplinary tools available to me to suit the wide variety of situations which may occur. I know I was on the receiving end of the wooden spoon and belt far more frequently than my 9-year old has received my hand (which is twice, thus far), so maybe I am a bit more judicious about it than my parents were, but I reserve the right to pull it out of the toolbox if I think it the most appropriate action to take, which both those times involved physical danger to her resulting from repeated actions and required immediate compliance without further escalation or argument.

She was sure as hell shocked, but the message was instantly received both times. There is no indication that she has been permanently scarred by the incidents and she remains one of the sweetest and kind-hearted little girls you’ll ever meet. (Then again, most dads would say that, right?)

Yup.

The wooden spoon never made me feel anything but angry and aggrieved. Contrition was never the upshot. What a great thing to instil in your child.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Damaged ! Hardly up to you to judge others .people have different opinions and you come along and call them damaged !

I’m saying their posts reveal a lot more about them then they think. ;) I’m judging the posts. People volunteered the information.
    To sum up; was the bus driver wrong to hit the kid? Yes. Was he justified in doing so based on the video in question? In my view, absolutely. Will he lose his job and face disciplinary action? Almost definitely. Just because you're right doesn't mean the outcome will be fair.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I’m saying their posts reveal a lot more about them then they think. ;) I’m judging the posts. People volunteered the information.

You can read posts and have a discussion without calling those opposed to yours damaged . It hardly adds to your point ?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You can read posts and have a discussion without calling those opposed to yours damaged . It hardly adds to your point ?

I could but I’m happy with my position. It’s been an eye-opening thread. You put a post out there - you can’t control how it will be interpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Je suis chauffeur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What'll happen when we're all in driverless autonomous buses? eh eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Damaged ! Hardly up to you to judge others .people have different opinions and you come along and call them damaged !

In the posters opinion, those advocating assualt on a child are damaged. It's their opinion, you can of course disagree with it.

SCOOP 64 wrote:
    Maybe not ,but still the majority of people reading this thread think he done right because people see we have a blameless society with the attitude i can act and do what i want when i want and nothing no one can/will do anything about, until you meet someone like this bus driver that is.

I may be wrong but I would say that bus driver if he could things he would. The potential consequences for him may have concentrated his mind. He has expressed remorse, too little too late in my opinion.
    No you can't act any way you want in any functioning society, but it was not up to the driver to dish out his version of discipline on a minor. Put it this way two wrongs don't make a right.

• Advertisement

In the posters opinion, those advocating assualt on a child are damaged. It's their opinion, you can of course disagree with it.

I have nursed children who were assaulted . I mean assaulted physically and assaulted mentally and assaulted sexually . I think referring to a slap is making less of genuine horrific assaults on children .continuous assaults on kids is deeply damaging , a short slap for being a little brat is hardly comparable

iamwhoiam wrote:
    I have nursed children who were assaulted . I mean assaulted physically and assaulted mentally and assaulted sexually . I think referring to a slap is making less of genuine horrific assaults on children .continuous assaults on kids is deeply damaging , a short slap for being a little brat is hardly comparable

You have no idea what impact the assualt had or may not have had on that 12 year old boy leave out the rest of your definitions of assualt as they are irrelevant to the discussion here. So in your opinion this child getting struck across the face was not assualt? Can you tell me what was it then? I'm genuinely interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

How is that relevant to what happened two days ago in France?
    I never said it was revelant to what happened in France. The op was shocked with the bus drivers behavior I said they would t want to be around in the 70’s, do you get it now?

You have no idea what impact the assualt had or may not have had on that 12 year old boy leave out the rest of your definitions of assualt as they are irrelevant to the discussion here. So in your opinion this child getting struck across the face was not assualt? Can you tell me what was it then? I'm genuinely interested to know.

A slap across the face . I am not saying the driver was right but can't get outraged about a slap to be honest . I am
    guessing the child will survive it . Who knows he might be spared another bus hitting him
    And its not up to you to decide what posts are relevant or not

Dakota Dan wrote:
    I never said it was revelant to what happened in France. The op was shocked with the bus drivers behavior I said they would t want to be around in the 70’s, do you get it now?

Sure why not the 30's or the 19th century where child labour was rife in Europe every bit as relevant as your 70's nonsense.

iamwhoiam wrote:
    A slap across the face . I am not saying the driver was right but can't get outraged about a slap to be honest . I am guessing the child will survive it . Who knows he might be spared another bus hitting him

So what constitutes assualt if not striking another person? You believe a slap is not assualt is that correct? If it were a closed fist would that be assualt in your learned opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

So what constitutes assualt if not striking another person? You believe a slap is not assualt is that correct? If it were a closed fist would that be assualt in your learned opinion?

Have you ever seen an assault take place? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This is a fairly large thread at this stage. Am I right in presuming that the liberals are getting all hot and bothered by a little prick getting his due?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Muppet Man wrote: »
    A good kick in the hole never hurt anyone

I think it did hurt. Wasn't that precisely the point of it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Sure why not the 30's or the 19th century where child labour was rife in Europe every bit as relevant as your 70's nonsense.

You are really clutching at straws for an argument anyway you get the jist of what I meant so let’s leave it at that.

• Advertisement

WAW wrote: »
    I think it did hurt. Wasn't that precisely the point of it!:)

Actually no. There's a difference between discipline and abuse and there is a frankly disturbing number of people nowadays who simply cannot differentiate between the two.

Dakota Dan wrote:
    You are really clutching at straws for an argument anyway you get the jist of what I meant so let’s leave it at that.

You brought up the 70's and I'm clutching?

You brought up the 70's and I'm clutching?

He went back a few decades and you went back two centuries! :D

Sorry but I don't argue with veiled sarcasm

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Sorry but I don't argue with veiled sarcasm

Hey if you can't answer it without showing yourself up to be a hypocrite that's fine. No bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Actually no. There's a difference between discipline and abuse and there is a frankly disturbing number of people nowadays who simply cannot differentiate between the two.

Slap vs punch?
    Blood drawn vs bruised?
    Knocked over vs still standing?
    Stranger administering it vs parent administering it?

Where is the line drawn between the two in your own opinion, as well as in the eyes of the law if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

While i dont agree with anyone hitting anyone else id say life as a bus driver is tough. The responsibility coupled with putting up with ignorant entitled brats whose parents have reneged on their responsibility Nd instead raise bloody little princes/princesses who think the sun shines out of them.

I hope the man isnt punished too harshly. He was reacting to a snotty nosed brat who is obviously badly reared.

Slap vs punch?
    A closed-fist punch is abuse.
    Blood drawn vs bruised?
    Hitting a child hard enough to bruise them (I mean a bruise now, not the little mark that brat will sport for a while..) is abuse.
    Knocked over vs still standing?
    Hitting a child hard enough to knock them over is abuse.
    I don't get how people don't see that any more.
    Stranger administering it vs parent administering it?
    That's the only grey area you've presented tbh.
    Me personally? Had I a kid, I'd have belted him for it. Had the bus driver done so, I'd have happily accepted it while ensuring the remainder of the exchange was verbal.
    Then again, had I a kid, rest assured he wouldn't be the kind of kid who thinks the world owes him so much he can simply go around "bravado-ing" multi-tonne vehicles into yielding for him.
    Where is the line drawn between the two in your own opinion, as well as in the eyes of the law if you like?
    I disagree with the law. It doesn't mean the law doesn't apply, it's the law, after all. So it automatically wins any argument.
    It just means as children get away with more and more without fear of repercussion, people like me get proportionally more likely to find themselves in breach of the law should they react and in receipt of the legal consequences therein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭ForestFire

One person siad this in the context it this were his kid who was assualted.

The ( hypothetical) reaction of a parent after someone assualted their child prehaps?
    Why shouldn't he loose his job if he cannot be trusted to control his temper it calls into question his ability to control a large heavy vehicle in moments of tension, personally if you assualt a child in my opinion you should be prosecuted.

Wow.... if it does not suit your naritive it was hypothetical and that is your only rebuttal, yet you don't like perspective.

This whole thread is hypothetical then you know.

The poster said if it was his child he would beat the bus driver to death.

That is condoning this action, in this case, about this man, as if it is a perfectly okay response to what happened.

• Advertisement

ForestFire wrote:
    Wow.... if it does not suit your naritive it was hypothetical and that is your only rebuttal, yet you don't like perspective.

Of course its hypothetical as the poster you referred to has not kicked anyone to death that we are aware of. He said what he would do if it were his child that was assualted. Take your outrage up with him.

Advertisement