Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As a neutral I have to ask what does Davy Glennon bring to the team that he always gets game time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

As a neutral I have to ask what does Davy Glennon bring to the team that he always gets game time?

He wins us handy frees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Very happy with that, plenty to work on but we’re on the right path. Some exhibition from Mannion. Flynn was poor on the frees but had a good game otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭threeball

Limped home.

When did we last hold a big lead and not get reeled in?.

Cant see us winning the AI after that, we're consistently inconsistent again.

Jaysus they just went up 80% in two weeks and scored 3 20 with no Joe, Flynn missing 8 frees and Daithi and a few others still not on form and you're writing us off. Did you smile when we won the all Ireland?

threeball wrote: »
    Limped home.

When did we last hold a big lead and not get reeled in?.

Cant see us winning the AI after that, we're consistently inconsistent again.

Jaysus they just went up 80% in two weeks and scored 3 20 with no Joe, Flynn missing 8 frees and Daithi and a few others still not on form and you're writing us off. Did you smile when we won the all Ireland?

We didn't score from the 60th minute and played good portions up a man.
    We haven't played a good 70mins since Wexford in the round robin last year.

The issue isnt the one off performance but the continued issues game after game.
    We continuously get reeled in when having a lead.
    Theres trends.

Anyway it's nice that you're thinking about what I was doing in September 2017... thanks hun.

• Advertisement

The issue isnt the one off performance but the continued issues game after game.
    Theres trends.

Anyway it's nice that you're thinking about what I was doing in September 2017... thanks hun.

No bother pet. I do get a bit worried about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

David Burke, Cathal Mannion, Glynn, Whelo, Flynn, Mac, Joe Jr, Concannon in the second, Coen and Tuohey in his first game back. All lads that deserve a huge pat on the back.

Great performance bar the goals. TJ probably the best player in Ireland tbf too.

Brilliant Galway crowd too. Behind the team all match and the majority too.

Huge match next week but great to see a gutsy performance. Makes the 3 hour drivw home tonight much shorter.

Huge match next week but great to see a gutsy performance. Makes the 3 hour drivw home tonight much shorter.

Don't try and pull out in front of a Kilkenny lad. I've nearly lost me bumper twice.

Don't try and pull out in front of a Kilkenny lad. I've nearly lost me bumper twice.

Saw a lad nearly ran over at the O'Loughlin Gaels clubhouse there. You're spot on.

There first Championship loss in 70 years in Nowlan Park. I don't think they're taking it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What a goal by Coen...........goal of the season so far!!
    And they said we couldn’t score goals......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Good performance overall, was confident eariler and in truth should have won by more. Two worring things for me, the management leaving Flynn on the frees for so long when mannion was putting the ball over the bar from every angle in nowlan park.

Gearoid getting a roasting at centre back, not the first time either. Normally good in air and in tight spaces been strong with the ball.and bursting out but not at it today plus doesnt have the speed to cover the geound

Nice to see touhey play well, got two points and probably just ran out of steam with it been his first match in a while. Cooney should come on for the game also. Glynn while not highly dominat in the air broke a load of ball and was a nuisance for defenders.

Worry about the lack of options off the bench when Burke and Davy contributed very little.

Good performance overall, was confident eariler and in truth should have won by more. Two worring things for me, the management leaving Flynn on the frees for so long when mannion was putting the ball over the bar from every angle in nowlan park.

Gearoid getting a roasting at centre back, not the first time either. Normally good in air and in tight spaces been strong with the ball.and bursting out but not at it today plus doesnt have the speed to cover the geound

Nice to see touhey play well, got two points and probably just ran out of steam with it been his first match in a while. Cooney should come on for the game also. Glynn while not highly dominat in the air broke a load of ball and was a nuisance for defenders.

Worry about the lack of options off the bench when Burke and Davy contributed very little.

We had very few options off the bench last year and less this but it's hard to imagine that Conor Cooney won't find some form soon. He's such a talented hurler.
    Our main worry is how loose we have become in defence. Bunching under dropping balls and leaving space all around. Its easily fixable if it's addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Hopefully a turning point. Not impressed with how we closed it out but all that mattered today was that we did. I do have sympathy with Kilkenny regarding added time. I have a huge issue with time keeping in general in hurling. It was among the things that cost us last year against Clare but today we undoubtedly benefitted. At least a draw seemed inevitable if the game went on as long as it should.

This year has sort of stumbled along to this point but today was the first signs of progress. Attitude was good from the off. Delighted with Johnny Glynn. David Burke put in a great shift and Cathal Mannion threw over some great scores. Conor Whelan looked back to close to his best.

Sub of Sean Loftus at half time was vital he was struggling and Johnny Coen made a big impact off the bench.

I thought Gearoid McInerney struggled and Padraic Mannion was slow to get going but came into it late on. Joseph Cooney is improving with the games.

Was pleased for lads like Concannon and Tuohy who needed that. Flynn was his usual frustrating self but he played a huge part in both goals.

Callanan showed what we missed last year with his save. Could be facing down the barrel next Saturday if it wasn't for him. Bar one in the first half we are looking more solid on puck outs too.

Defensively both goals were a disaster though. Loads to work on but huge relief that finally 2019 is up and running.

Dublin will be a tough game next Saturday. If there's a decisive result in Wexford we will at least get Top 3. We probably want to go as direct as possible. After all our tinkering in the league to find new talent we are basically back to the same team personnel wise as the last few years.

The lack of options off the bench worries me but we are getting closer to having a full deck to choose from. We arent contenders on current form but lots of hurling to play yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hopefully a turning point. Not impressed with how we closed it out but all that mattered today was that we did. I do have sympathy with Kilkenny regarding added time. I have a huge issue with time keeping in general in hurling. It was among the things that cost us last year against Clare but today we undoubtedly benefitted. At least a draw seemed inevitable if the game went on as long as it should.

This year has sort of stumbled along to this point but today was the first signs of progress. Attitude was good from the off. Delighted with Johnny Glynn. David Burke put in a great shift and Cathal Mannion threw over some great scores. Conor Whelan looked back to close to his best.

Sub of Sean Loftus at half time was vital he was struggling and Johnny Coen made a big impact off the bench.

I thought Gearoid McInerney struggled and Padraic Mannion was slow to get going but came into it late on. Joseph Cooney is improving with the games.

Was pleased for lads like Concannon and Tuohy who needed that. Flynn was his usual frustrating self but he played a huge part in both goals.

Callanan showed what we missed last year with his save. Could be facing down the barrel next Saturday if it wasn't for him. Bar one in the first half we are looking more solid on puck outs too.

Defensively both goals were a disaster though. Loads to work on but huge relief that finally 2019 is up and running.

Dublin will be a tough game next Saturday. If there's a decisive result in Wexford we will at least get Top 3. We probably want to go as direct as possible. After all our tinkering in the league to find new talent we are basically back to the same team personnel wise as the last few years.

The lack of options off the bench worries me but we are getting closer to having a full deck to choose from. We arent contenders on current form but lots of hurling to play yet.
    Very well summed up.
    Callanan with save of the year and not shown on RTE.
    We went for goals today which was very encouraging
    We were very cynical in the astonishing 10 mins which was encouraging. If we done that in the all Ireland last year we would have won it.
    Joe Cooney super in the half back line until he ran out of steam in the last 10 mins.
    Shot accuracy was very good as well today
    C Mannion brilliant
    Negatives well one score in the last 16 or 17 mins was one. Our inability to use the spare man in the last 15mins was crucial as highlighted by Cummins. Our attacking options on the bench look poor
    Plenty to work on but first signs of life in us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Robson99 wrote: »
    Very well summed up.
    Callanan with save of the year and not shown on RTE.
    We went for goals today which was very encouraging
    We were very cynical in the astonishing 10 mins which was encouraging. If we done that in the all Ireland last year we would have won it.
    Joe Cooney super in the half back line until he ran out of steam in the last 10 mins.
    Shot accuracy was very good as well today
    C Mannion brilliant
    Negatives well one score in the last 16 or 17 mins was one. Our inability to use the spare man in the last 15mins was crucial as highlighted by Cummins. Our attacking options on the bench look poor
    Plenty to work on but first signs of life in us

Callanan save = agreed.
    Going for goals = agreed, but we have to finish them. Concannon in first half gave a very bad pass to a man in a worse position than himself when bearing down on goal. This has to change.
    Cynical = yes, but with a spare man we should be able to defend without fouling. Have to make better and sharper decisions with ball in hand/possession, cost us hugely today.
    Shot accuracy = well above average today, at his best, Cathal is an absolute joy. Whelo, Jonny Glynn also on a par with him.
    Need better options off the bench; Haran is good enough to merit a look, while Niland, (may or not be good enough at this level), but has the touch to make an immediate impact, which is vital.

More anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

We beat KK by a comfortable 7 points in the Leinster final replay last year. You're an odd fellow. That was nothing short of epic, I struggle to see how anyone could witness that and come out immediately with only negatives. It was far from perfect but it was a fantastic performance and we look like proper contenders once again

Hulk Hands wrote: »

We beat KK by a comfortable 7 points in the Leinster final replay last year. You're an odd fellow. That was nothing short of epic, I struggle to see how anyone could witness that and come out immediately with only negatives. It was far from perfect but it was a fantastic performance and we look like proper contenders once again

I said a 70minute performance, if you cant grasp that while mentioning a game where we threw away a huge lead then I'll say no more on it.

Laughable end comment there too; "It was far from perfect but it was a fantastic performance"... make up your mind it cant be both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I said a 70minute performance, if you cant grasp that while mentioning a game where we threw away a huge lead then I'll say no more on it.

Laughable end comment there too; "It was far from perfect but it was a fantastic performance"... make up your mind it cant be both.

Ah just keep up your bitter little ego so. First team to beat KK at home in 70 years in a back to the walls performance can be described as fantastic while there obviously being areas to improve (frees, using extra man).

The one plus point of you posting negative crap on here during each and every match is you clearly don't go to any of the games so we don't have to listen to it in person

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Ah just keep up your bitter little ego so. First team to beat KK at home in 70 years in a back to the walls performance can be described as fantastic while there obviously being areas to improve (frees, using extra man).

The one plus point of you posting negative crap on here during each and every match is you clearly don't go to any of the games so we don't have to listen to it in person

And how many games have KK played at home in that timeframe?.
    From what I read it's very little.

Secondly this KK team have been breaking all the wrong types of records in recent years

http://www.clare.fm/sport/oconnor-clare-not-getting-carried-away-kilkenny-win/

"The 2-19 to 0-12 scoreline was the biggest loss ever suffered by Brian Cody in his time in charge of the Cats, and their heaviest loss in league or championship since 1992."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/hurling-match-reports/wexford-1-20-kilkenny-3-10601460.amp

"Hosts make Championship history defeating Brian Cody's men to make Leinster final"

Keep attacking me with your petty points, maybe take that chip of your shoulder and get on with your life.. ironic to make a comment on my ego given your replies to me on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

Great win by the lads yesterday, fantastic atmosphere and for most part had good banter with the kk people sitting close by. However, those who booed Galway off really let themselves down imo.

The reaction to our victory has been disappointing. A lot of been made of the 4 mins of injury time. My interpretation is the linesman signalled the 4 mins after the 70th minute passed, and the 4 minutes included the time wasted booking 2 galway players. Also tj wasted his own time trying to steal extra yards. Don't forget the same thing happened us in the All Ireland final last year - there was big confusion over how much injury time to be played as board raised after the 70th minute, and also lots of time wasted booking lads before Joe's goal from the free. Swings and roundabouts.

The opinions on the red cards are laughable. John H can have no complaints, although probably accidental, he connected with his neck and had to go. I was surprised Paul Murphy lasted as long as he did - he must have gave at least 5 fouls after he received his first yellow card, and the second yellow was a hurl to the face trying to block him. Consistent fouler.Ger alyward was stupid in the extreme. He's a fiery guy who often looses the head over reacting. Was very cynical by Harte and was rightly yellow carded but no need for ger to come back for retaliation grabbing Harte by the head. As cynical as Harte was, it was no worse than Murphy pulling down Jason stopping a one on one and probable goal.

Best team overall won. Kk way too reliant on one player. Great to see how much the victory meant to the players after. Onwards to Parnell park Saturday evening

35 euro for a stand ticket on Sunday is a ****ing disgrace. I don't even like the stand in Pearse Stadium but yet I'll get charged for it on the season ticket.

Also looks like Parnell is already sold out.

What do you expect a 70 minute performance is? It's a very lazy sports cliche. Galway dominate a game for 70 minutes they're going to beat a team out the gate. I don't think that will happen very often against a top team. Best you can hope for is to do as much damage as you can during your teams good spell and weather the damage against your opponents good spell. I felt plenty went against Galway towards the end of that game to give Kilkenny a lifeline.

One other comment. Galway are "consistently inconsistent" again I've brought this up before 2017,18,19 championships Galway have lost one game. By a point. Only thing consistent about Galway is that teams consistently can't beat us.

No team performs for 70mins in a tight match. It always ebbs and flows. We had 20mins where we blitzed them. They had 20 where they blitzed us. We got two goals in our period of dominance, they got one. There's the difference and it's how any competitive game goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

What's the best way to parnell Park on Saturday. Id imagine the traffic will be chronic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

35 euro for a stand ticket on Sunday is a ****ing disgrace. I don't even like the stand in Pearse Stadium but yet I'll get charged for it on the season ticket.

Also looks like Parnell is already sold out.

Gaa are fast losing the run of themselves .if ya but a stand ticket out there on the day 40 euro . Imagine 2 adults and 2 kids coming from Roscommon add in petrol and maybe a bit to eat be hard do for much less then 200. Too much for a few hours entertainment at amateur gaa. Factor in traffic etc for Sunday and I think a lot will choose the Telly .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

spurshero wrote: »
    Gaa are fast losing the run of themselves .if ya but a stand ticket out there on the day 40 euro . Imagine 2 adults and 2 kids coming from Roscommon add in petrol and maybe a bit to eat be hard do for much less then 200. Too much for a few hours entertainment at amateur gaa. Factor in traffic etc for Sunday and I think a lot will choose the Telly .

Buy in advance and its €80 for family of 4. Worried about petrol from Roscommon - are you coming via Wexford FFS! - If your worried about eating - then make sandwiches - your getting a good family day out for a competitive cup final in seats for €100 - that will get you 1 and a Half tickets to Ireland v Samoa in a rugby friendly in Dublin and nothing towards petrol or food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

westcork67 wrote: »
    Buy in advance and its €80 for family of 4. Worried about petrol from Roscommon - are you coming via Wexford FFS! - If your worried about eating - then make sandwiches - your getting a good family day out for a competitive cup final in seats for €100 - that will get you 1 and a Half tickets to Ireland v Samoa in a rugby friendly in Dublin and nothing towards petrol or food

Its cheaper than the rugby is your argument? Whoop de doo. Rugby is different. They have chosen professionalism. They are a business with all the trimmings that brings including two or three smart lads n lasses setting prices as high as the market will bear.

The GAA are not a business and should consider their members when pricing tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Theres trends.

that is a definite trend and a big worry, Wexford the week b4, accept we were battling a strong wind on both occasions but we were at the same last year and no wind involved.

Not sure what the soloution is, I would have thought joe Cooney was out on his feet, surely could have brought someone on, like hussy who has done well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

PCeeeee wrote: »

The GAA are not a business.

That's an extremely naive view, of course they are a business, that is why they publish their accounts. Being a business has nothing to do with professionalism v amateurism.

Advertisement