Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

Very proud of the performance. Ran out of steam and bench isn't hectic. It would've being a great boost at 50min to bring on Peter Cooke, Michael daly and Ian burke. I think we are close and division 1 football will bring them on. The 2 spillanes changed the game completely for kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Avon8

Galway are the only top level team in the country to not have the vast majority of their top players on the panel. I know these lads have lives to live but if the fields of athenry ringing round croke park with 65% of the crowd can't inspire you, I don't know what will. Add in the injured lads, Flaherty, mulkerrin and McLaughlin and this panel could become properly serious. Nobody over 30 either bar Conroy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Never easy losing an All Ireland. It hurts and so it should. But we'll all get up tomorrow, hopefully it's a nice blue sky and we have to get on with life.

I think it's been a great year for Galway football. They've been down for far too long and as a neutral (supporting Galway) itwas great to see the maroon and white back on centre stage on All Ire final day.

And playing good football for large parts. McDaid and Walsh were heroic. Kerry were made sweat for that win.

When the dust has settled and the gloom has lifted i hope the feeling in Galway will be one of hope that this team is going to give ye many more big days in the sun and ultimately land the big prize we all covet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Xander10

Hilarious how that muppet calls Joyce a "little man". Below 6 ft but an utter giant who's scored more from play in an all Ireland final than any player in the last 40 years. Never mind what be did in the other finals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

That’s me and gaa finished after that free today. Fair play in the gaa, you must be joking. I’m out. Say what you want I’m not engaging on this or any other forum anymore. I’m 48 now I’m sick of this bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm out of the loop. Who's missing that would play and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Is this the keeper not getting a black card? Not that big of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

Joyce felt the free the ref gave against John daly was unjust and losing of the game is the only negative thing I see joyce saying and was only backing his players and doing was every manager does in the heat of the moment. It wasn't a big deal really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Imagine having nothing better to do on the evening your county wins the all Ireland than moan about an opposition manager on boards.ie

Embarrassing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Ah so it was the fair shoulder ye got the free for you were on about.

Not a big deal.

Goalkeeper gleeson was very nervous. I think that's what is his downfall because he must deliver what's required in training.

He was down holding his back before the game started which to me is the hallmark signs of anxiety... Looking for an out. Took painkillers from what I could see.

Michael Daly, Peter Cooke, Ian Burke, Adrian Varley, Tom Flynn, Ronan Steede, Dylan Wall to begin with anyway. Now they might not be certain starters (Cooke would be a top 5 player and Burke's a former all star), but they would all give serious competition in the 26. Add the 3 injured lads to that and you've exactly what Galway were missing today a bench to match Kerry's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Burke is not even playing with corofin this year … the rest bar Cooke have had plenty of chances …micheal Daly supposedly withdrew himself from panel as he would defo add something at least to the bench .

Munster you were gracious on here with your first post this evening …. Now leave it at that and be a good winner … nothing worse then lads trying to needle lads when there on the floor after there county lost all Ireland final .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Maybe add Flaherty the goalie to that list 🤔

Do you not get the point though? There's a lot of reasonably established inter county players there. Regardless of them having plenty of chances, they'd make for a very solid squad with competition for places. Management clearly haven't fancied our subs all year.

On the burke point, perfect example of someone talented that we can't get playing. Have mayo had anyone in the last 10 years that should be playing that wasnt? Or Kerry? Dublin lost McCaffrey and Mannion after they won 4 each. We don't get the buy-in other counties get

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Disappointed we didn't get over the line but fair play to the lads they all put their hand up today and put in a performance. Didn't get the rub of the green when they needed it.

Delighted for Shane Walsh who has had so many detractors on this forum from other counties saying he was a show pony, couldn't do it on the day. Today he surpassed any performance I ever witnessed in an all ireland from any player including his managers 10pt haul in 2001. It had everything and no one else in the game can do what he can do. Clifford will get all the awards and plaudits but Walsh is the greatest talent I've ever seen play gaelic football. Today he showed the world his worth.

i do get the point … Burke is working in And living in dublin . I know one player reasnobly well and im not sure people honestly realise the time and effort that goes into it . In my view it’s probaly too much but if ya don’t do it ya won’t be playing on dayS like today . I’m not sure it’s for everybody . I imagine a few more will be brought in next year to freshen it up..whilst we are all hugely disappointed tonight this has to be the start of something not the end … Conroy the only player wrong side of 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Burke isn't up to it at IC standard anymore. Cooke and Mulkerrin would be big additions especially as we had no options in the engine room today when Conroy went off and ended up sacrificing Comer by bringing him out. Mulkerrin would free up Kelly who would bring another attacking dynamic and Cooke can play midfield or forwards.

Flaherty or perhaps someone else steps up and takes the goal keeper role. We spend time perfecting our restarts and with just those additions you could see a 5 or 6pts swing in out favour.

I'm surprised Niall Daly wasn't seen as a better option to bring into midfield rather than pulling Comer out from the edge of the square. He did quite well earlier in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ah he didn't beat Galway today, poor against armagh alright. One bad foul in 2nd half and the game was done in injury time by the time he commited that one. Hell learn from this, needs to get more mobile. But he didn't cost galway today.

A hugely positive year for GAA in Galway. Lost one final, and the hurling will go down as one of those ones we will look back on.

Well done to Limerick and Kerry, but we should be so proud of what we do in both codes.

Not blaming him at all but the kick outs were disastrous, especially in the first half..

That time he kicked the ball to the defender who had just handed him the ball was bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Ian Burke is a busted flush at county level. He has had a couple chances. Peter Cooke maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cork lost all Ireland finals in 2007 and 2009, before finally getting over the line in 2010. Of course Galway won an all Ireland at the first time of asking in 1998, but sometimes you have to lose an all Ireland final before you win one. Galway played well but they unfortunately ran out of steam towards the end.

Improving the depth of the panel is something that needs to be looked at. The goalkeeper situation is an issue that needs to be sorted out as well, but Galway have had a good year and there definitely is an all Ireland in that team. I see no reason why Galway can't go one step better in 2023.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Some of them may never play for Galway again. vast majority of Galway top players are on the starting team right now, Sean Kelly,Cillan McDaid,Paul Conroy,Damien Comer,Shane Walsh etc.

Advertisement