Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Crash on motorway. Get off at Enfield or Kilcock exit and take old road.

What was the story with that Shane Walsh point it was a mile in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Gleeson dreadful. As bad as the last day re kickouts. All Derry's have gone to hand .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Get in there! What a shock, have your full forward inside and play the ball in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Super win. Really got to grips with them after 15mins and the game was played on our terms from then. Really managed the game well at key times and finally caught out one of those damn fly keepers.

Really need to work on our restarts or just commit to going long with a plan to forage the break ala Tyrone 2003 as we won't get out as easy in the final but we're there and that's all the matters.

Alot of parallels to 98. Scrape over Mayo in the first round, scrape over Roscommon in the CF, beat a fancied Derry team easily in the SF and are now showing up to kick it out to the teams on the other side of the draw.

Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robert2014

Great second half and win to get to a final. Have to say I was surprised how poor we started, very nervous in the first half and were lucky to be level at half time. Once we upped it in the second half, Derry didn't have much. Shocked they didn't let any high balls in, given what happened last time but not our problem. Fair play to Comer, big second half display and thought Sean Kelly was immense too. Let's see what tomorrow brings

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

They are unusually quite over on the Mayo forum. I hope they are all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Leave them off …. It’s good to have them that way ! We can relax and enjoy tomos game and take it from there .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I mean I don't think we'll win but **** it, some achievement by the lads regardless.

I can only imagine how sick you'd be as a Mayo supporter if we did it.

Jesus lads, we just won a semi final for the first time in 21 years and all ye can think about is what mayo fans think, that’s a sad reflection of what some fans regard as an achievement. We have only just managed to do what mayo have done consistently for 10 years (get to a final which itself is not the target) so let’s be a bit classier, enjoy the moment and build up to the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

With Hawkeye not working yesterday you'd wonder about the 2 points from Galway's Hurling Semi Final that were struck out.....both in Hill 16 end goal where the problem was yesterday.

Ronan Gleenon had scored in 1st half it seemed, play went on and Limerick scored in next play .....then Hawkeye intervened to rule out Glennon's point. Never saw such a delay ruling out a point...why that was too.

Little later in the half Conor Whelan scored what looked a point with umpires not hesitating and the crowd reaction....very similar situation. Exactly the same, Hawkeye deemed the ball was outside the right-hand post (from players perspective). Yesterday clearly the accuracy on the same right-hand post was clearly off.

It's gone now and Galway did lose by 3 but I'd have serious doubts over its accuracy last weekend too and you'd wonder what might of happened had the 2 points stood....

I made this point on the other thread. It seemed to be reversing the distance in the opposite direction so walshs point which was 1m inside the post was shown 1m outside it. What if points that were 6" inside the post were shown 6" outside. I think there needs to be a serious review before it's used again.

Also, if two umpires can't have the courage of their convictions to clearly see a ball sail over the bar and can't call the ref over to say they are certain it was a point then they we're going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

I was at the match yesterday.

The workrate of our team was incredible. The covering of gaps. The following back. The helping each other out. The constant checking to see what needs doing. The hunger, awareness and maturity were great to see.

Well done to the lads and management/backroom team. Nothing won* I know, but they look well-drilled. Great to see.

(*Wouldn't we have all taken a Connacht title and place in the AI final at the start of the year?)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

Who'd have said two games ago that our defence is miserly. To a man they were superb yesterday. If I had to pick one it'd be Daly from an attacking perspective but Kelly was brilliant and Molloy has really showed in the last 3 games that he's actually a great defender and not just an engine. Glynn is starting to find his feet at this level too, huge future ahead of him

What a weekend (ladies aside. Disappointed for them with such a disruptive year. Same energy needs to put into that set up to match what Cathal Murray has with the Camogie ladies)

Even after the early shaky start I wasn't overly worried. I think it was Threeball that said once Galway forgot about the ball carrier and nailed the runner once they got possession it was curtains for Derry. All Derry had to do to change the dynamics of the game was let the ball carrier take on a couple of shots. This would of given Galway a different dimension to worry about but Derry never did and Galway had plan A well worked out.

Hard to pick out the standouts as it was such a team performance (Comer aside). John Daly was the General I knew he would be. Marshalled everything with grit and determination along with an excellent point. Jack Glynn was also fantastic. Some great turnovers and drove forward when he could.

After that it was workrate. Hammer the hammer. From Rob Finnerty, Shane Walsh and especially Matthew Tierney the never went hiding from tracking and putting in the hard yards.

Each game brings its own dynamic. We'll see what Kerry vs Dublin brings.

Lastly on Damo. Even here on this forum people questioned his importance to this team. This is his first injury free year since 2018 (Even this year I think due to the way he plays he's a bit banged up). He's shown after maybe Con no defender can handle his power and pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Comer's finish for the second goal is something else, to win the ball, turn and have the accuracy from that far out is some skill (empty net accepted).

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭vid36

Will Kerry make the hunt for tickets a little easier?

Seen as its hardly worth our while showing up it mightn't be that hard to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Exactly. Didn't ger canning tell us today was the final in all but name..... 😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭vid36

Well I will be taking the Monday off just in case.

• Advertisement

We'll have to drown our sorrows in any case so we may as well take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

Sure we might aswell not turn up according to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kiloughter

Tbh the narrative was always going to be that yesterday was the 'real' final. We have a great chance. Yes their forwards more potent than Derry but their defence will not put the squeeze on us like Saturday meaning our own forwards will get far more opportunities. Also our defence is improving with every game. Kerry have as much to worry about us as we do on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

It never surfaced against Derry, but yer fitness levels to go the 80 odd minutes v a jack o Connor trained kerry might be the difference this time. You haven't met anything at this level before now. I feel ye'll need to be well ahead with 62/63 mins on the clock to win it.

We were told there was no team in the country as fit as Derry last week. Now we have to contend with a fitter team and better forwards. I'll get the rosary beads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Imagine what Galway city would be like on the Monday evening of the races if we win Sam. Bedlam!

If anything I would be worried about kerry level of fitness, Clifford was gassed in the second half, moran has the fitness levels of a 60 year old man and aging dublin team came back from 5 points down to level and if it went extra time dublin would've won

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

What? Dublin were never going to have a purple patch no? Did you expect no fight back? What's this about an ageing Dublin team, average age of the starting 15 was 27, only about 1 year older than Kerry. Give it a rest.

mccarthy 32, brian fenton 29, kilkenny 29, rock 32, fitzsimon 33, johnny cooper 32, john small 29. These lads are on the wrong side of there football career for the modern game with all the football they have done, so you can't expect them to carry the torch every game with all they have won and played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think we stand a better chance against Kerry than if Dublin had won. Kerry will be under massive pressure to win, hot favourites and it will be considered a disaster if they lose as it's a long time in Kerry peoples minds since they won an All Ireland. I think Dublin's experience of finals would have been a massive factor if they got through, plus we have a terrible record against Dublin, while we have a recent win over Kerry in Croke Park. We'll go in as massive underdogs, no pressure, all the talk is about Kerry and a new era of dominance for them, but, I think we have a great chance of winning it. We'll have to up our performance of course, but, it's definitely not beyond us winning it.

Advertisement