Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Two horse race and you're there on merit, so every chance of winning it.

However the odds are stacked against you. One thing I'd note is that both Galway and Kerry are able to handle the favourites tag quiet well.

You protected the goalie well against Derry and that reaped rewards. I think that's kerry key to winning this game... Get around Galway defence either by running or long ball and put Gleeson under pressure. It should reward with goals.

Coincidentally, the kerry defence won't be as strong as Derry I think. Meaning more of your forwards, like finnerty, should find space with kerry focusing on Walsh and comer and if they can contribute more you're in with a shout.

Could be the game of the year if both sides start with the swagger & self confidence both sides normally have.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

I think ye have a very settled team, Kerry don't. Question marks over who they start at 8,9, 10 and 12. They didn't seem to have much impact off the bench against Dublin either.

That Kerry Dublin game was entertaining but if it was two other counties other than those two the pundits would be picking it apart for mistakes by both sides. I thought Dublin were a pale shadow of their former selves, the wides and balls they coughed up in the first half were awful, the defending for the Kerry goal was school boy stuff. Dublin came with a final fling of old champions in the second half and it almost got them over the line and all this without Con.

I fancy ye to turn them over in the final if ye have tunnel vision about the game and don't get distracted by outside noises. All the Kerry former greats are going to be rolled out in the media now to plamas Galway, pressure the ref, try and build a mystique around their own team, any stroke the can pull to help get their own county over the line.

Best of luck to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

This is what we need the next day, the grain of rice that'll tip the scales 😉wisdom from the grave https://youtu.be/aByPOgJgjv8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I mean the outside noises are telling them they haven't got a prayer, so if I were on the panel I'd pay attention to that and let it feed the motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

They've been underdogs last two games too. It'll suit them down to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Does anybody else see anything in the referee for all Ireland being from same club as Kerry coach paddy tally or am I just overthinking things !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Just popping in from the Cavan Forum. Best of luck in the final lads. Was delighted to see ye in person on Saturday and the atmosphere your supporters brought to Croker was something we can only dream off. Delighted for Joyce too what a player he was

This from gaelic. com ^^

anyways I think PJ seems to be happy enough according to the papers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

He'll be under the microscope. Could potentially ruin his career if he seems to have come down in favour of Kerry on the day. He'll need to be seen to be impartial in a way that someone with no ties would probably get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Galway were underdogs in 1998 and 2001, and they still came up trumps on the day. Galway may not get to all Ireland finals as often as Mayo, but unlike their hapless/misfortunate neighbours, they do seem to make it count once they get there. I see no reason why Galway can't win this final. All the pre final talk will be about Kerry, and that should suit Galway fine really. It's always best to go into an all Ireland final as underdogs imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I remember well that Kildare were big favourites in 1998. They were 4/9. I had a seat surrounded by Kildare fans and they were sure they would win whereas I was the usual Galway-nervous 🙂. I couldn't understand at the time why they were so uber confident but they had beaten Kerry in the semi I suppose. I always felt it was 50/50. They were in floods of tears at the end, it was actually tough to watch.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

They beat the previous three all Ireland champions that year, in Dublin who won it in 1995, Meath who won it in 1996, and Kerry who won it in 1997 so that's where the hype about them came from. As a Cork man i'd have a soft spot for Kildare due to Larry Tompkins and Shea Fahy. The Leinster championship used to be so competitive back then. There would never be much between Dublin, Meath, Offaly and Kildare, and later on then Laois and Westmeath made the breakthrough. It's so sad seeing the state of the Leinster championship now though.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

Shea Fahy's father was from same parish as Padraig Joyce. Became an army man in the Curragh I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Back then if you were facing a connacht county you were 2/3 over the line before a ball was kicked in...

Probably not much has changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

Yet another whopper from this complete and utter buffoon. The examiner sports section is generally decent, so quite how they allow this spacer to churn out the same nonsense over and over again is baffling.

For 45 out 52 weeks he writes about Mayo, every article following the exact same format in a way that'd make even Brolly wince. Some completely transparent self deprecating crap about not getting the job done on the big day or not having scoring forwards, but the general theme is how great the mayo fans are and how overachieving the county is (beats me also).

On the other 7 weeks he chats about his adopted homeland (still with repeated mayo references obviously). The articles take the exact opposite format, loads of little compliments about being the handsome neighbor and naturally talented, but the overall message is a huge dig about being a crowd of hippies with no interest in GAA or underachieving.

The article above references the city solely as being nonplussed about being in a final. A place thats over 1/4 foreign born, has 20k students for much of the year, has Rugby, Soccer and Hurling to contend with, and is (ironically) choc full of blow ins such as himself who pathetically try to bully their kids into supporting where they're from. Much of north and west Galway is in absolute bedlam at the moment yet none of those places seem to exist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jaysus that was some pity party of an article. No one fu<king cares Mayo, the sad serial loser sob story is boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Green Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It's alarming that not only was Colin likely paid for that piece, but somebody actually read it and signed off on it. Thank Christ most Mayo people I know aren't as cringey as Colin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A quiet build up is the way to go... The less pressure on the players the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Its the Mayo version of Healy Rae-ism. Selling people a caricature that they are already happy to buy into. We've had some jokes with the few Mayo people who work here about the All--Ireland but the whole sense that they are barely able to sleep at night worrying about Galway possibly winning another All-Ireland after the years of suffering they have gone through doesn't seem to exist. Maybe things would be different if the likes of Conroy and Mullen weren't coming through for them and they knew they'd be facing into a few barren years but they still see themselves as one of the top five or six teams in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hows it looking ticket wise? Sorted thank god

Maybe hes angling for a new "best supporters" award similar to the the one the green army were awarded in the euros I think from memory 😉that was funny as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't view this as Kerry being inevitable winners like when Galway played Dublin in 2018. There's every chance Galway win.

Kerry are favourites and with Clifford and O'Shea on form you'd think they would win. But this Galway team is very balanced with good players all over the pitch.

From Kelly, Molloy, Conroy, McDaid, Walsh, Comer, Finnerty that's a good level of player.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

How's things. Im looking for 3 seated tickets for the match. We have been to every game this year so would greatly appreciate if anyone here's of anything or knows anyone that could help. Need seated as don't want to bring child to hill. Will travel whereever to collect. Thank you. I know this is a long shot but ya never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭flasher0030

God, that is an embarrassing piece of writing from a grown man. What was he thinking?

I'm a Mayo man, but will be shouting on the Maroon boys on Sunday. Hoping to get a ticket for the match yet. It would be great for the Western counties (Mayo included) if Galway can pull it off, and get Sam away from Dublin, Kerry and any of the nordies.

The fact that the Galway playing style is easy on the eye makes the final a mouth-watering prospect. I really hope Shane Walsh has a stormer. He is a a decent bet at 17/2 for player of the year. If Galway win and if Comer is kept quiet by Jason Foley, then Walsh would be next in line if he has a decent game.

Anyway, best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭cosatron

to be honest it is slightly unsettling and in no ways reflects mayo supporters that i know. If this is now classified as journalism, the future looks very bleak for that paper.

In 2017 we played a heavily favoured kerry u 21 team managed by Jack O'Connor with a good bunch of this kerry team and we were lambs to the slaughter all week in the paper and we turned them over with a good number of our lads playing. Our lads won't fear kerry. We will play the exact same way as against mayo. 2 sweepers in the d and everyone pulled back and fast counter attack when we have the ball and run at Moran. I think we have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Even though ye scored it against us I have always thought this was probably the best goal I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. We'll be doing well if we see a goal of that quality come Sunday from either team. Best of luck anyhow and kerry ABÚ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭cosatron

Best of luck. The best game of pure football I ever seen was our game in the pissing rain on a Saturday evening. Ye won it for a finish but it was some game. Mike meehan gave an exhibition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Yep I was at that game myself and remember all road closures around the city after. Twas some game of football alright. Declan o'sullivan was immense that day but Meehan stole the show in fairness. I remember everyone was in great form afterwards no matter which side they were on.

Advertisement