Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I feel for the lad. He knows he's been criticised since the quarter final, I can't imagine the genuine fear today. He might have genuinely wanted to not play today with the nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

I bet its not as funny though 😜😜 we know how much it hurts. But as Galway are a team that wins all Ireland finals this will be tough on ye 😂😂 iv been told that all week at work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

This Galway team is only just beginning. I don't see Galway ending up with a record of of thirteen all Ireland final appearances, with just the two draws and and eleven defeats to show for it!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'm not a Galway fan. It would be nice to see Mayo win the big one like, but christ you've had more than enough chances at this stage!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Robson99

Never feels good the morning after losing an AI and we have lost a serious amount in both codes since the early 70s

As regards the game we were well in it but a couple of soft turn overs in the first half and a few poor decisions while on the ball in the last 10 mins were our downfall

Free against Daly was a big call... while one of the Kerry defenders got away with over carrying near the end....but it didn't feel like the Ref rode us.....

Biggest problem was we had no game changer on the bench. Its now an 18 -20 man game [ fball & hurling ]. Dublin and Limerick have shown that and Kerry had it yesterday.

Need to get Cooke, Daly and Varley to name a few back on board otherwise we will not get over the line

Potential all-stars....Daly, McDaid, Walsh, Comer.

Glynn and Silke all super throughout but prob miss out

Finally for some of the bucks up the road who cannot find it in themselves to acknowledge Walshs talent maybe his performance yesterday opens there eyes a little bit. Ciaran McDonald is the only forward they have produced to come close to him talent wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Plenty of Mayo people acknowledge Walsh's talent. Conversely, from living in Co. Galway I've heard a lot of Galway supporters give him stick over the years. Comer seems to get an easier ride from his own fans because of his combative style even though Walsh is by far the superior footballer.

Genuinely delighted to see him play so well yesterday to silence both those inside and outside his own county who classed him as a fancy dan.

Believe me we had the same fools in Mayo who were very quick to criticise McDonald when he was playing for us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

As one of the bucks up the road who had questioned Walsh, he answered any questions yesterday in a resounding fashion. Spectacular display overall.

I'm not going to backtrack on the questions though, he had only scored 0-1 from play over the two games against Armagh and Derry, and he had a moment of madness late on against Armagh. Valid question mark imo.

His dead ball kicking or talent was never in doubt but he turned up yesterday in a big way.

Some of the bucks up your side of the road might give Cillian O'Connor a little bit of credit now. Both are now two of four players to have scored 9 points or more in a final only to be on the losing team. Cillian having done it on 3 occasions... Unfortunately.

And much like O'Connor in the past, and contrary to the "scoring forwards" narrative, Walsh was left with too much to do on his own yesterday with only one point coming from the other 5 starting forwards. In a game that ye probably needed a goal or two, I would have to look at Joyce's use of Comer as a big mistake. Can't believe he was left out the field for the majority of the game. If he had been in the danger zone and added something to Walsh's super display, it might have been a different outcome. Finnerty another one with the talent but didn't chip in when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

Don't think Comer was left out the field for that long during the game. When Conroy ran out of puff and was eventually subbed, Comer had to go out and provide a bit of steel further out the pitch alright, and maybe try to get him into the match in that manner. Unfortunately, I think the single biggest factor in our downfall yesterday was how our HF line underperformed. Just very little danger accrued from them; a better display there and our weaknesses off the bench wouldn't be as obvious. It's a clear area to be improved on next season.

As for missing and unavailable players, as has been said, hopefully Mulkerrins can fill a spot at FB, freeing Sean Kelly to midfield perhaps. (Great warrior that he is, I'm not sure Paul Conroy can start for too much longer or have the legs for 70 minutes). Flaherty will probably edge out Gleeson in goal, though also needs to work on his kickouts. Peter Cooke, if he comes back, would improve the middle-8 area, as will McLaughlin hopefully. Ml. Daly I'm not sure of, not so easy to get the best out of him. Others such as for e.g. Varley, Steede, Flynn have had their chances and wouldn't really move things on I think. We should be raiding the underage ranks to strengthen the squad, e.g. the U-20 team from 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

There was a question mark over walsh, could he do it when required, was marked out of the Armagh and Derry game in particular, but, his free taking against Derry was absolutely crucial to that victory. His display yesterday was one of the best displays ever in an all Ireland final, he was the best player on the pitch yesterday, Clifford might have got MOTM, but, I think once Kerry won, he was always going to get it, they were falling over themselves to give it to Clifford. The rest of the Galway forwards needed to contribute more on the scoreboard, too reliant on Walsh and McDaid for scores.

Cillian O Connor is a good player, but, not a great player, he's not the main reason Mayo haven't won an All Ireland, but, he has also missed crucial chances when Mayo were on the verge of getting over the line, I think if Mayo had a forward like Walsh, ye probably would have won one, Keegan is that player for Mayo, but, he's a defender.

We got closer than I thought we would, but, Kerry were under immense pressure to win yesterday, which contributed to their poor start, it's along way back to the final next year, we need to improve our squad depth, goalkeeper needs to be replaced and our fitness levels also need to improve, we ran out of steam in nearly every match this year, a deeper squad next year would also help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

As someone who is a big fan of Walsh, I don't think yesterdays performance proves that the criticisms he received previously were wrong.

He's 29 so he's been around a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

People should have another look at the Armagh game when saying Walsh was marked out of it or whatever.

He was constantly drawing multiple players and setting up scores, off the top of my head Paul Conroy point came when two men went onto Walsh he popped it to Conroy, for McDaids goal he draws three men onto him plays it to Billy Mannion who as a result of Walsh has acres of space and sets up McDaid.

That’s 1-1 he was key to. I would guess there were more scores which had the same pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Would agree that he should have pipped Clifford for MOTM, but that's little conciliation I'm sure and somewhat understandable (if not entirely fair) that it's given to a player on the winning team more often than not.

Our views on Cillian are different. He's mostly seen as a great player in Mayo and beyond (All Stars, player of the year awards, record scorer etc) but himself and Walsh are different types/styles of player. Walsh may have more skills but Cillian has done what he's done consistently for a long long time. Cillian may not endear himself to some opposition supporters with his carry on at times but it's different when he's helping to win games for his own supporters. Without dragging it out too much, for me, Walsh needs to turn in similar performances on the big occasions a bit more often and talk of being closely marked isn't really an excuse, it's a given.

Anyway, we're probably not going to agree or change our views on that.

Would agree that a deeper squad is needed and the keeper situation sorted. Next year is a big year to see how much you can improve on this year.

My view on Cillian won't change, O Connor played on much better Mayo teams compared to the Galway teams Walsh has played on, only this year really you could say Galway were clearly better than Mayo and not by a huge margin either. O Connor might be considered a great in Mayo, but, he isn't outside of Mayo, certainly not when compared to truly great players on a national level, that might sound harsh from a Mayo perspective, but, it is the reality, Keegan would be considered a great in any county, by far Mayo's best player of recent times, probably the best player not to win an All Ireland. Walsh wouldn't be considered a great in Galway either, a great talent, but, would need to have a few more performances like yesterday to be considered a great.

Galway went close yesterday, but, as Mayo well know, it's a long way back to the final and getting over the line is the hardest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Fair play parlance your a good honest poster . There’s no doubt cillian o Connor has been a great player . Whose better him or Walsh does it really matter …. No..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Thought if Galway had 4 subs to bring on after 55mins they could have kicked on. The goal chance with the huge overlap on the left side in the 2nd half was a 'chance'. Obviously midfield were well beaten in the air and the fullback line is terrible under the high ball. Walsh was great except for attempting that wide on the right free. Galway are as good as anyone but it's a long road back to the final and you guys need a new goalie and probably one more forward. Comer is like a little bull weanling, if you stand off him he struggles. He actually loves contact and getting by people but Philly McMahon said ye doesn't have the ability score from outside

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Yeah the two marks for Clifford was really bad defending. Kelly was looking at the man rather than the ball and no Galway player actually got near the ball. Anytime a player wins a clean ball from a high lob in like that is a mistake from the defenders for me. All you need is a fist on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

The momentum and confidence gained from this year should stand them in good stead next season, and there's a decent chance they can be at the business end of things in 2023. However, as stated repeatedly, the squad depth needs to improve and there's rumours at least one prominent player has handed in notice and intends on some travel next year. (Unsure of veracity of this). What is the format like next year? Is it a quasi-Super 8s round-robin thing again? If so, it may mean avoiding having to play both Kerry and Dublin en route to Sam.

Looking ahead, Kerry are the team of the year but it is not a vintage Kerry team by any means, and no guarantees they will improve. Moran and Geaney will struggle to hold their places, if even retained. O'Shea and Paudie Clifford can be held, as witnessed by yesterday. Rumours about that Dublin will be looking for a new manager shortly. Mayo *are* looking for a new one, so how quickly will they hit the ground running next year? In Ulster, Donegal (new manager too) and Monaghan are on the wane, Derry a bit to go yet, Armagh improving, Tyrone unknown but bound to be better than this year. All points to a fairly even and more open championship in 2023, there for a team bold enough to seize the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

the biggest positive for me was that every game they played, they improved on there last performance which is a good sign of team, considering some players didn't have there best day out yesterday the collective still put in a very good performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭threeball

Shane's problem was that he was always so good that he tried to make every score spectacular. He put the ball 20yrds outside the post then spin it in rather than just doing what was required.

Hes got that out of his game as he matured particularly last year and this. Plus he's finally in a decent set up. I'd expect at least 3 more years of him in this form but he'll probably lose a yard of pace after that. He'll still be able to turn lads inside out til he's 36. He's just that good.

He's good but even Ronaldo can't turn people inside out at 36. Pace is a big part of Walsh's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Walsh is only 29, plenty of time left right at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Not just aimed at you but people continously saying "Galway need a new goalie" when our first choice goalie is injured........

Don't have a long post in me but it's one of the very few times a team I support lost and I wasn't raging (I'll openly admit I'm a terrible loser). I was proud of what these lads put in yesterday. To win an All Ireland you need that bit of luck. A few things didn't break our way. That's life.

I enjoyed bringing my two small babies for a walk this morning up O Connell Street. Kerry and Galway (zombies) still feeling the affects from the night before. Gentle nods from supporters in both colours. Good to remember how much we lost over the last few years during the pandemic when stuck at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Next year is a huge year for Galway, hopefully Padraic can build on a great year and give us more depth. The danger is that we expect it to happen for us and get frustrated if it isn't next year. Give him 3 more years if he'll do it and let some of the minors start to come through. 3 or 4 more good additions to the panel could make a huge difference and be enough with the experience gained from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone that is as comfortable soloing left and right at a decent clip will turn defenders inside out. Lose a yard and he's still as fast as pretty much anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Im reluctant to criticise Gleeson to much, its not nice to single individuals out to much particularly in defeat. That said he might not be the normal no.1 but still! Rocking up to croke park for an all ireland final with the position in that state isn't acceptable from a Galway management point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Gleeson was the least of our issues yesterday. He had a bad brainfart for the free out granted, but you couldn't expect Cluxton to work magic with our lack of options. It's probably the most lacking area we have against the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone etc. It was the same under Walsh too so it's not exclusive to Joyce and under Mulholland it was nearly a different sport.

I didn't think Joyce was the right man for the job this year but he's proven me wrong and if that means he gets two more years, he's earned it. We now have a team not afraid of Croke Park, a team that won't back down in comparison to the likes of Galway 2013 and most importantly young lads like Jack Glynn that immediately stood up to the plate of high pressure senior intercounty. I think Cian O'Neill's reputation will have skyrocketed after this year so hopefully we can do everything we can to keep him for 2023.

First time in 20 years that you'd feel we finally could have that next level in us. You'd hope lads like Paul Kelly, Cathal Sweeney, Tomo Culhane etc can cause selection headaches in 2023.

I disagree. The first half kickouts were bad. But I do think he has it in him to do what's required, just nerves got to him maybe on the day. There was definitely a 2 or 3 point swing due to the kickouts/brainfarts in the first half.

In the first half there was many times there was a free man in the centre, I think it was Daly a lot of the time. Instead he punted it long which led to a clean catch by Kerry.

In the second half he was much more brave. In fairness, the defenders didn't help him much in the first half either, there were times multiple galway players ran into the same space where there was one Kerry man which meant one Kerry man took out two Galway options.

• Advertisement

Who is the best goalies for Galway? They've had some awful ones in the last few years. The likes of Bernard Power or Lavelle...I wouldn't have them in Leitrim!

Advertisement