Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

awful low key on here ! Not sure whether it’s a good or bad sign

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Michael Lydon

Any hill16 tickets available for loyal Galway supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭testtech05

Missed it unfortunately, might be worth keeping an eye on I guess in case anymore are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Have 2 premium tickets for the corner of Hogan/Davin and looking to swap for 2 decent lowers (Cusack/Hogan only) plus cash my way if that would suit anyone.

They are not for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Would favour two centrally located cusack or hogan tickets, Upper or lower, over corner tickets at premium level any day of the week, but perhaps someone will favour the "premium" experience.

Best of luck to Galway team and safe travels to all your supporters. You've a great chance I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Someone actually paid him to compose that drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The team to go to war with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Live in Galway myself ( twenty minutes outside city ) but originally from further afield, personally I think Galway have a very good chance ,from speaking to the natives ,I'd say they are quietly confident at best but perhaps they wouldn't share their views with a Blow in on important matters like an All Ireland final?

One noticeable thing is that Galway is quite a divided county and those of a hurling persuasion here are slow to show great enthusiasm about the football team, I'm not from a dual code county so perhaps that happens in Cork too ?

Upon enquiring several times throughout the season with people who were doing jobs for me etc about different football matches ( Armagh game sticks out ), many were quick to show how little interest they had in the bigger ball game

Not a massive amount of good will exists between the two codes from my observation or else they are just cagey about expressing good will ,guy said to me yesterday that " not a huge amount of flags in Athenry " ? , it being a hurling stronghold primarily

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Avon8

Hurling people from all over Ireland, not just Galway tend to have a very limited interest in football. It's somewhat understandable I suppose, they're two completely different games that happen to be played under the same umbrella. It's probably at its most evident in Cork, where many of the huge hurling fraternity have open apathy at football. In Galway it's just a general disinterest once you go south of the train line (with exceptions of course)

Theres would've been good support for the hurlers from football areas alright in the last decade, albiet nowhere near the bedlam now being seen in Tuam, Mountbellew, Moycullen etc. Ballinasloe in fairness tends to go mad no matter which code is playing.

The hurlers were helepd by being very competitive consistently and having a star like Joe Canning to engage the non hurling folk. By the Armagh game as you referenced, most of the hurling folk still wouldn't have thought the football had much chance if overall success. That'll change with time and has already a bit now they've made a final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wouldn't say lack of enthusiasm, driving through parts of south Galway this week I spied plenty of flags flying, more like lack of knowledge. Certainly no animosity between the two codes, just that they are well polarised geographically. Though more football fans would go to hurling than vice versa.

As for tomorrow, I fear it could be one of those occasions where 'you have to lose one first to win one next year'. Galway have a stronger panel again in 2023. Or else it will be a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

I think we have a serious chance tomorrow. I don't think Kerry have faced any team that asked really big questions of them. Dublin pushed them to the line despite giving them the freedom of the park in the first 35mins and less than half the team performing on the day. When they went at the Kerry defence they had plenty of chances but were reliant on Kilkenny, McCarthy and Small to deliver as no one else was stepping up.

Mayo would have beaten them if they had any forwards at all. And they didn't shake off Cork or Limerick for ages.

I've been critical of the management the previous two years and wasn't sure on the addition of O'Neill but I have to say he has been a great addition. I've always said we had the players and what I particularly like about this team is they'll change their style on the hoof depending on what's facing him. If the opportunity presents they'll blitz you but if a batten down the hatches approach is required they'll do that too.

My main concern is the restarts and not turning over ball on the restarts. Kerry will press and if they go really high I think we need to go over the top a few times to shake them a bit. Hopefully we have a plan for that. Going 50/50 to midfield isn't ideal unless we have a preset plan.

Kerry have a better bench but we have better balance. Galway by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Premium is not worth paying for imo.

The only benefit is an escalator to get in and less busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Good luck tomorrow from ye're neighbours, would love to see Comer in particular win it.

My personal feeling is that Clifford will probably steal the show and kerry will win by 2 but there's no doubt that ye have a chance to upset the apple cart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Best of luck to Galway today 🇶🇦 written off by the "expert" pundits...same as in 98 & 01 😁

Enjoy 🇶🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I've really enjoyed the excitement building up to today. When the hurlers made the final recently there was excitement but in 2017 especially there was a nervousness in people because Galway were expected to win that day and the fear that if it didn't happen that year then it might never happen.

The excitement about today has been a bit simpler, without that pressure of expectation.

10 of independent. Ie gaa journalists tipping kerry. Amazing not even one tipping Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

good chance to win it but you have to say the team choked, gleeson is a clown, mcdaid was mighty,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hard Luck Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Small bit of difference between choking and running out of steam ,the better team won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You gave it a decent go thought you ran out of steam a bit but a keeper is badly needed you were near enough towards the end proberly needed a goal to steal it only way you could have won really .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Better team won on the day. Galway were well in it but the lack of depth and a woeful keeper were the difference. Gleeson is just very poor, both in footwork, high ball and distribution terms.

Hopefully the experience and build up stand to them and they can come on for it. A young squad with some excellent players mixed in. McDaid and Walsh were superb on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great performance, couldn't really have asked for any more, ran out of steam a bit towards the end, Kerry just a bit better. Walsh & Clifford were both outstanding today, a joy to watch. Could have won it, but, no real complaints, the better team won. Need a bit more depth in the panel and the goalkeeper needs to be replaced or a big improvement required from him next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Disapointing in the end, thought we might do it when we drew level with those 2 quick points about three quarters way in, sideline hadn't a great day imv, Comer wasted out the field but kerry very tight at the back,goals win games but we didn't get a sniff apart from heaneys chance.. conroy seemed off the pace he's 33, how long more can he go on? will we persist with Gleeson, hes not solid enough, too flaky? Need a few more lads, maybe Tomo and a few more will make the step up... All in all can't complain best team on the day won in the end... Its no shame to lose but lets not make a habit of it, learn and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

What a bitter little man Joyce has shown himself up to be after the game

Depressed and proud. A lot of very good footballers in the county who aren't in the panel. Please god let them find yeb motivation to come in next year. Had we a strong 26 it might have swung it. Too many passengers.

Huge kudos to jack Glynn, Cillian mcdaid and Shane Walsh however. Shane has a few years left and Galway are in a good place with the former two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Hard luck today guys.

Shane Walsh was immense, 9 points, 5 off one foot and 4 off the other, amazing stuff.

Hadn’t seen much of Daly before today, played a few fantastic passes from CHB.

McDaid was outstanding also, some drive and determination.

Seanie Shea was completely marked out of it by Liam Silke.

Ye’ve a great team there and will be there or thereabouts again next year.

Looking forward to a few battles in the near future!

Echo that. Hard luck, but ye did yer selves proud. Just ran out of puff in the last 10-13 mins, bench didn't improve ye, but Shane Walsh was magnificent.

Hard to enjoy tonight, but I hope ye turn out in good numbers for the team tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

good lad yourself ! Great contribution .Tell us why he is a bitter little man ? For questioning a very debatable free in an all Ireland final with 3 mins left and the scores level is it ?

Advertisement