Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Interestingly the problem is the same in both codes in Galway.

I was there in 2017 vs Waterford when Galway won in spite of the keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Colm Callanan was a more than decent keeper, certainly the best of a bad lot. Won an All Star in 2015 if I recall. Current incumbent Eanna Murphy has really improved in the past couple of seasons, while no. 2, Darach Fahy, also looks promising.

Conor Flaherty would probably have been in goal last Sunday had he not done himself a fair injury in the league final. Would be calmer than Gleeson, though his restarts also need some work.

Plenty of counties have these problems, e.g. Cork, Clare hurlers, Derry footballers. Even Kerry's Shane Ryan had a few ropey spells in his days. Not many AI winners have been successful without a good netminder in that season I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Flaherty is a dual star who was injured earlier in the year and played the majority of games this year in the League. Same issue with kickouts however no matter who's the keeper, but very doubtful he'd have had the Armagh mare anyways.

I think the last proper keeper we had was Adrian Faherty in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Stewball

If the issues with the goalie is going back through the years, maybe some of the problem is the players out the field and the tactics the management team is employing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

What happened to Michael Daly/ Cian Hernon this year? Were they injured ? Mulkerrin would be another good addition next year. Could allow Daly to be released a bit more.

Post edited by Sweet.Science on

• Advertisement

Hernon had a bad leg injury, ACL perhaps. Daly didn't make himself available as far as I know. If fit, Mulkerrin would probably go no. 3, allowing Sean Kelly to push out, maybe to midfield with McDaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

To be fair, Mayo were unlucky to have their best team at the same time bertie ahern decided that dublin need millions of taxpayer funds to train their players to a higher standard than anyone else. Do you honestly think galway or the current kerry team for that matter would have toppled that dublin lineup? They wouldnt have.

There was far more interest in the all ireland football championship this year as their were more teams involved. Hopefully this trend continues.

Looking forward to toppling galway in connacht next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

If Shane Walsh plays I'm sure ye will have a good chance.

Id rather he wasnt to be honest!

Surely that is a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The show pony comment you made will have to follow you around for a while yet.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I think Michael Daly had a lot of chances but was inconsistent. He was on the team and panel for a good few years. Not the fastest either so I'm not sure last Sunday if he'd have offered much to break the first line in that Kerry defence.

I think Peter Cooke proved himself in that last year pre COVID. Big strong ball player with a good burst of pace and can score long rangers. If an onform Cooke came on the last day he could've added a couple of points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why was Cooke not available this year, did he have an injury or not make himself available. I'd imagine anyone who pulled out of the squad in the last year or so are unlikely to be called up again. The amount of commitment and demands on county players is insane, wouldn't really blame anyone for not being able to commit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Wasn't Micheal Daly banned for a good while following the schemozzle in Connacht final?

I think Cooke went to America/travelling, might be back. Sean Mulkerrins tipping around after injury should be competing. Is Ciaran Duggan still around?

There's four there that would push the team on a nice bit if they were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If so, it may mean avoiding having to play both Kerry and Dublin en route to Sam.

Everyone knew from the get go this year that winning Connacht was a good ticket to the final as it avoided Kerry and Dublin.

The same ability to avoid teams will not be available next year.

Winning the province will likely help you avoid Dublin or Kerry in the group stages but doesn't guarantee avoiding them in the QF or SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

What's the story with Ian Burke? I had forgotten about him until I heard him mentioned on a podcast today. Surely he would add to the forwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

After last sunday, i don't fear any football team out there, 2023 championship can't come fast enough.

I fear complacency, over-confidence, current players becoming unavailable, potential players not making themselves available, 'second-season' syndrome, injuries, a resurgent Dublin, a Mayo with injured forwards returning, a Tyrone who bounce back, a team who emerges next season like we and Tyrone have done the past two, plus loads of other things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

sure you could say that about every team. I think there will be a savage hunger there to get there again and they will be going into there second year with Cian O'Neill and the new S and C guy and the younger lads like jack glynn, Patrick Kelly, Matthew Tierney, Paul Kelly and Tomo Culhane will start to mature into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I heard that 3 of the starting players from the final are going travelling next year. I wont name them but all 3 had fine seasons.

I hope it's not true or they reconsider but I think players from all counties will be 'mad for road' now that Covid restrictions are gone/eased.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Agreed. Regardless of how positive a year it was it can't be overstated that we had a favourable semi final pairing. You'd imagine Mayo and very likely Dublin are going to have the new manager bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ye weren't able to beat a poor Tyrone team last year after getting over the Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

Well it seems to be fairly common knowledge that Liam silke is going .. was mentioned on a off the ball podcast .

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robert2014

I guess it's taken a few days to process after the final.

Firstly I have to say the decision for the free in at 16-all was crazy, it is a free that is never given against the defender and I doubt would have been given at the other end. I missed the steps for the Spillane point in real time, however the way the game was going, it was getting harder and harder for us to get scores. I think after that free, we should have drove towards the Kerry goal and the ref would have given us a free to even it out.

That said, even if we took it to extra time I think we would have lost out. A couple of issues that we knew about was always going to catch us out. The lack of impact from the bench meant that the starting players had to stay on longer than intended and they tired towards the end with the heat, etc. It felt Kerry were getting the scores easier.

Not having the kick-off strategy functioning fully also told. It has improved over the championship but it should be better, it should have been implemented before now. Having to go long in the first half and coughing up most of the kick-outs, giving up the throw ball at the end, etc. Again hopefully this can be applied better through the league and be better again for the championship.

I hope that most of the guys stick with it, we get a few players back from injury or that opted out for whatever reason this year and have a good go at it next year. Hopefully we can find a few players in the county scene or from under age. As can be seen, we are not that far away, we are a top 3 team now. If we can half the progress next year that we did this year, we would be in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Avon8

This is fairly hilarious how you mention Walsh having had questions having only scored 1 from play in the previous two games. Then going on to mention Cillian scoring 0-9 in 3 finals. Cillian has averaged one single point from play across 6 All Ireland finals. He's been held scoreless from play on 3 of those finals. He has racked up a large amount of mainly easy frees. Indeed every Mayo fan knows of the invisible 35 yard arc that's Cillian range, put so eloquently by Jimmy S a few times.

These are not all time great performances. Cillian has been a great servant and exactly what Mayo needed after years of struggling to find a player to score frees and get on the end of handy scores. But his reputation like AOS, has been diminished by his performances in finals, not enhanced

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭MattressRick

After the boost of seeing Galway put it up to Kerry, the disappointment is sinking in big time over what a missed opportunity it was.

It would've been unreal to win as the underdog, the run to the final felt like 2012 with the hurlers.

There'll be more pressure on the lads if they get to another final. And it's a big if unless they put in even more effort each year. No guarantees how any year will go with injuries, black cards etc.

Why didn't we play a few high balls into Comer in full forward? Not one went in that I can recall. Feels like a missed opportunity.

I'd imagine he's feeling sick after not having a single shot at goal, along with Finnerty, Tierney and Patrick Kelly too.

This really feels like one that we let slip away. It was there for us.

The same poor tyrone team that bet kerry, who bet galway....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The same kerry team who gave mayo two awful hidings this year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Different year, different Kerry manager mayo still as far away as ever, it's not going to happen for mayo. Galway getting stronger.

Advertisement