Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

Slightly related note I see Claregalway won the Feile.

Current minor team has 5 from Claregalway, and any time I've been looking up the sports section of the Tribune the past few years I'm consistently seeing Claregalways name in underage finals.

Seems to be great work going on out there and it could prove to be a strong asset to the senior county team in the next few years.

You could even say that aspect still hasn't come to fruition so it would be in addition to already showing a lot of promise the past 4/5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think the new secondary school is making a big difference.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Growing population, club made and executed plans for new pitches over a decade ago and seriously dedicated coaches and volunteers all helping out there.

No doubt the majority of players going to the same secondary school is helping but not the main reason.

Long way to go to bring that to senior level but great work over the past 15 odd years is paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

At underage they have all the turloughmore hurlers and some lads from castlegar backboning the teams but once they come to minor they seem to draft back towards the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

I wouldn't put it down to the secondary school. Thats half full of lads from Annaghdown, Corofin, Carnmore and even Oranmore. The club have big numbers and are attracting lots of city players out there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

HI,

Is there any known date when the new Galway gaa jersey will be available please?

Thanks,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Barnsleyfc

Hi Folks. I have an upper hogan for sale for the Derry game on Saturday if anyone wants it for below market price. I can meet whoever around Dublin on Saturday with it. Thanks.

There would be very few "Annaghdown, Oranmore, Castlegar or Corofin" kids at underage level (there might be a few on the LGFA side depending on whether they have options in their own catchment area)- Carnmore and Turloughmore, as well as Claregalway village and environs are all part of the catchment area for the club. It's relatively big catchment area for the club and with between 250 and 500 houses planned for Claregalway Village in the next 5 years tis only bigger in the numbers the club will get.

There are a large proportion of kids in the teenage years playing multiple sports alright - which is only a good thing.

Just came across an story I thought I'd share.

I have a young relation who's involved in some form of underage squad for the Galway footballers(maybe a development squad).

They have these lads training in Loughgeorge on Saturday.

What kind of clowns organise training for teenagers the same day as the AI semi final the seniors are playing in?.

Apparently we won't make the first game in full so this isn't early morning training.

The mind really boggles at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

MFman

You say Limerick performance over the seventy years before '18 was about the same as Galways- It was actually worse but they had won five All Irelands in 23 Seasons from 1918 to '40, Five National Leagues in a row- a record unequalled, won 10 Munster titles from 1910 to 1940 and played in 8 Munster Finals in a row ('17 to'24 inclusive), so they have a solid tradition, something often ignored by people of a later generation.

Much praise has been lavished above on your goalkeeper Eanna Murphy, and most of it is well justified. However, with Limerick Midfield playing below par last Sunday he still insisted on lumping long and high balls that were taking all day to fall, into the LK goal area, when it was obvious that Finn, Casey, Hannon and Nash were all well in control stage. Variation in the puck outs might just have yielded better results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

He did vary it to an extent in that he went short a number of times also. The success of his long puckouts was rather dependent on who was the receiver. Conor Cooney has struggled for a lot of the season to catch a puckout cleanly so targeting him was largely futile. Murphy did ping Cathal Mannion very well with a long one in the second half, if memory serves, resulting in a point for the latter, so there was success in it. In the final minutes I was actually shouting for Murphy to send them long as I thought we were having some joy off the breakdown and the Limerick backs were looking jittery enough. Must watch the tape back again to see if that was the case.

I was talking about the secondary school, not the club.

Ok, fair enough. Not sure I get the relevance though.

Another poster had said the new school had a bearing on the fortunes of the club. I was simply pointing out that the new school was half full of players who would be ineligible to play for Claregalway. Read the thread and it would make sense.

To be fair, the majority of Claregalway players are now going to the one secondary school, as opposed too potentially 3 or 4 different ones back in the day. That's generally a positive for the club, although not as big a positive as had been mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Hard to believe how quiet it is on here with our biggest game in 20 years on sat . I know we were in semi final in 2018 but we were massive underdogs whereas sat is a 50 50 .. quietly confident we will get the job done if we don’t concede soft goals . I think we have forwards that can do damage if they get a supply . Anyway best of luck to both senior and minor team tomo as well.Gaillimh Abu !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Is the team being announced tonight I wonder??

not sure but it’s pretty much picking itself at this stage

Apart from the man between the posts but I reckon Gleeson plays

has the sub keeper from barna ever played for galway … I can’t remember it

• Advertisement

I don't think so unless fbd, if Conor Flaherty was recovered enough I suppose there would be decisions to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Snip

Post edited by Same As on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Great to see such a big crowd for minors. Not sure how they turn this around but let's hope they can.

Stiff breeze for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Fuppin tg4 player is acting up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Number 10 for mayo is the cockiest player I've ever seen on a gaa pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Doesn't matter if he is or not. He's not scored anything extraordinary yet he's giving it the full array or fist pumps, tongue sticking out and hand gestures to the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

What. A. Performance. Gaillimh Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Definitely trending in the right direction with the underage teams anyway. They'd have been some price for the AI after the Leitrim game! Fair play to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Avon8

Fabulous performance. Aside from the gaeilgeoirs obvious heroics, McGlinchey, Lonergan and Trayers (once the hurlers keep the mitts off) could definitely make seniors. Wonderful stuff. Legacy of actually winning all Ireland's definitely helps! Galway GAA's in a bright place

Advertisement