Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Can't watch it anymore.. Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

This will be the end of Sean Andy again for a while. Just gave away 2 needless points in 2 minutes.

He's in good physical condition but still does daft things.

His size stood to him at underage but hid the fact he's just not a good footballer. When he can't out muscle he fouls. Quite what he's doing up in the half forward line when his main position is in crisis mode is anyones guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

It's only League but this is gutless stuff. They're afraid to touch Moran.

In fairness Mayo are playing lovely stuff but they're not getting a single challenge in on them and the kickouts/Sean Andy are an absolute ****show.

Can't watch it anymore.. Depressing

I knew we were in trouble the minute I saw the team. PJ said it was picked on form. If thats really the case God help us.

To allow mayo into tuam an do that to us, brutal, brutal, brutal.. Nightmare stuff... Someone wud want ta tell the backs at half time that social distancin doesn't apply once you cross the white line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gleeson should never have come out for that goal. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭testtech05

Gleeson should never have come out for that goal. Shocking.

Very poor decision alright. There has been a lot of them all around today unfortunately

Gleeson gives away another point.

More messin hands mayo a point

More messin hands mayo a point

Can't remember too many they had to work too hard for

• Advertisement

Galway giving an exhibition on social distancin.. That mayo lad looks like a young mick o dwyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

This is probably some of the worst muck I've seen from Galway in a while.

Gleeson & Sean Andy are seriously bad at reading the ball. Responsible for a lot of Mayo's scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Obviously poor. From the team named to play Mayo on the 10th of March vs. The team that started today was 9 changes. I think some perspective. Rather the performance today than in a month's time. Still. Some of the lads given their chance to put their hand up for a spot didn't do much. Thought D' Arcy Conroy and Finnerty played ok. Flynn and Varley ok off the bench. No idea how Leonard lasted the game. Barely knew he was playing for most of it. Most of the rest ranged from poor to very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Reminded me a lot of that Tipp match in 2016. A complete and utter system failure from the line and the players. Mayo coulda ran up 50 points easily.

Obviously poor. From the team named to play Mayo on the 10th of March vs. The team that started today was 9 changes. I think some perspective. Rather the performance today than in a month's time. Still. Some of the lads given their chance to put their hand up for a spot didn't do much. Thought D' Arcy Conroy and Finnerty played ok. Flynn and Varley ok off the bench. No idea how Leonard lasted the game. Barely knew he was playing for most of it. Most of the rest ranged from poor to very poor.

First time I saw Leonard was when the Mayo lad almost nutmegged him down in the corner and that was mid way through the 2nd half. He's a good club player but that's it.

Yes it's only the league with a lot of players unavailable but you don't want to be producing a horror show like that with championship around the corner (if it goes ahead).

I know they were under serious pressure but 1 and 3 between them probably gave away an easy 1-10 to Mayo.

Mayo shy of some first team choices too. You get a real insight into a panel in games like these. Most of these lads are next in line to come on when the lads missing today aren't playing well or available. They were really poor but that's only one aspect, they also didn't play the game the same way the first team were back in March. That shows that unless the first 15 are constantly available the ability to execute a style of play isn't present throughout the panel. I wouldnt hold out much hope for them against Dublin and without Shane Walsh the entire team have no drive or purpose to the way they play.

I know they were under serious pressure but 1 and 3 between them probably gave away an easy 1-10 to Mayo.

I'm not a big fan of Gleeson. But up until today pre covid he hadn't put a foot wrong bar a black card against Donegal. His mid range kick outs and ability to find a runner are sub standard. It's either short or boot it down the middle. What are the options though? Go back to Power who was sub keeper today. Or O Bealaoin. Kickouts are better from both but they are prone to mistakes. I felt PJ could of went to the nuclear option and brought in Flaherty from the U20s. Excellent under a high ball. Can place a kickout on a sixpence. And is comfortable on the ball. Might be too late for that now. I don't think Tyrone lost the run of themselves when Galway hammered them out the gate earlier in the league and I would hope PJ and the team will be able to regroup from this.

Finally hopefully Duane and more importantly Comer aren't too badly hurt.

threeball wrote:
    Mayo shy of some first team choices too. You get a real insight into a panel in games like these. Most of these lads are next in line to come on when the lads missing today aren't playing well or available. They were really poor but that's only one aspect, they also didn't play the game the same way the first team were back in March. That shows that unless the first 15 are constantly available the ability to execute a style of play isn't present throughout the panel. I wouldnt hold out much hope for them against Dublin and without Shane Walsh the entire team have no drive or purpose to the way they play.

Included in the players we had missing was our 3, 6, 8, 9, 11 and 14

Terrible disappointing from Galway though as others have said, I wouldn't go paintin the sheep yet if I was from mayo

Included in the players we had missing was our 3, 6, 8, 9, 11 and 14

Kelly and Mulkerrin would have helped the full-back line. Mulkerrin would have had his hands full with O'Se but at least he doesn't tend to do daft things and foul as much as SA.

Not sure what you do with the keeper. Gleeson was OK during the league. Good shot stopper but his kickouts are awful ropey at times.

John Daly unfortunately is a serious loss at 6. Thought he was Galway's best player during the league after Walsh.

Maher looked out of his depth in midfield. D'Arcy did OK today but you'd probably have some combination of Flynn, Steede and maybe Conroy in there.

Walsh and Comer are just essential for this team to function. The other forwards can play off them but they can't lead the line like they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Dismal stuff. I know there was a few lads missing but that was pathetic.

John Daly unfortunately is a serious loss at 6. Thought he was Galway's best player during the league after Walsh.

John Daly was listed as a sub for the county final. Anyone know was this just symbolic? He wasn't togged as far as I'm aware but was moving freely around the pitch before the game started.

John Daly was listed as a sub for the county final. Anyone know was this just symbolic? He wasn't togged as far as I'm aware but was moving freely around the pitch before the game started.

Pretty sure he's gone for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Any team without their 2 best players (comer and walsh) along with a mix of other starting players (maybe 8 more) will struggle in their first competitive game since lockdown.

We struggled more than we should against a team who probably had more to play for.

Some silly mistakes too added to the loss

Probably the biggest loss from this game is not the result but could be Comer (similar to VVD for Liverpool yesterday). Comer in the team mandates 2 opposing players to mark him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I missed both injuries. Were they bad?

macslash wrote: »
    I missed both injuries. Were they bad?

Comer pulled up running back seemed like a hamstring hopefully not too serious but hard to know. Duane seemed like a twisted ankle as he fell...

Hopefully neither too serious!

Comer will be doing very well to play any championship football I fear. Limped out of Tuam Stadium. Joyce said it didn't look good. They should be able to beat Sligo without him but the Connacht final is on November 15 which is 4 weeks away. Depends on the severity of the hamstring injury. My fear is from his reaction that it was a tear more than a strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

I'm not a big fan of Gleeson. But up until today pre covid he hadn't put a foot wrong bar a black card against Donegal. His mid range kick outs and ability to find a runner are sub standard. It's either short or boot it down the middle. What are the options though? Go back to Power who was sub keeper today. Or O Bealaoin. Kickouts are better from both but they are prone to mistakes. I felt PJ could of went to the nuclear option and brought in Flaherty from the U20s. Excellent under a high ball. Can place a kickout on a sixpence. And is comfortable on the ball. Might be too late for that now. I don't think Tyrone lost the run of themselves when Galway hammered them out the gate earlier in the league and I would hope PJ and the team will be able to regroup from this.

Finally hopefully Duane and more importantly Comer aren't too badly hurt.

Flaherty has an excellent short mid kick out. Very intelligent player. Great prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Flaherty has an excellent short mid kick out. Very intelligent player. Great prospect.

His kickouts were a mess for large portion of yesterday's game. Messed up a few short ones and ended up booting it down the middle for large portion of match after that

• Advertisement

The goalkeeping position has plagued Galway for the past 15 years. Can never seem to get it sorted. For all the grief Clarke and Hennelly get up in Mayo I would take either of them tomorrow.

Advertisement