Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

threeball wrote: »
    Did Haran get injured the last day or why is he out?

I'm not sure tbh, but I can see that Johnny Coen is 'away'.

also;

Former Galway hurling captain David Burke is set to return for the Tribesmen in the coming weeks.

Burke will re-join the squad soon after having taken time out to travel.

It was thought that Burke would miss the entire Allianz League campaign due to his travel commitments, but has instead handed manager Shane O’Neill a major boost as it is thought he’ll be available for the closing rounds.

Burke came home in the run-up to St Thomas' All-Ireland Club SHC semi-final defeat to Tipperary side Borris-Ileigh & then returned to his travels afterwards.

Daithí Burke will not feature this weekend against Limerick, after his heroics with Corofin when landing an All-Ireland club SFC three-in-a-row earlier this month and he will rejoin the squad in a few weeks.

*all taken from GHH on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭threeball

Power, Silke, Molloy, Kerin, FOC, Tom Flynn, Antaine O Laoi and as you said Ian Burke will be pushing hard.

You have the rest of the Corofin lads and I've a feeling due to midfield issues Enda Tierney will get a look and depending on PJs choice maybe Matt Tierney (still U20 this year)

I can't see Kerin getting back in, he's a liabilty. Overly aggressive and giving away needless fouls in scorable positions. Molloy, Power, Tierney and Burke the most likely to challenge for places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

He injured his shoulder. According to fergal Healy, he'll be out for a few weeks.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I'm not sure tbh, but I can see that Johnny Coen is 'away'.

also;

Former Galway hurling captain David Burke is set to return for the Tribesmen in the coming weeks.

Burke will re-join the squad soon after having taken time out to travel.

It was thought that Burke would miss the entire Allianz League campaign due to his travel commitments, but has instead handed manager Shane O’Neill a major boost as it is thought he’ll be available for the closing rounds.

Burke came home in the run-up to St Thomas' All-Ireland Club SHC semi-final defeat to Tipperary side Borris-Ileigh & then returned to his travels afterwards.

Daithí Burke will not feature this weekend against Limerick, after his heroics with Corofin when landing an All-Ireland club SFC three-in-a-row earlier this month and he will rejoin the squad in a few weeks.

*all taken from GHH on FB.

If he's not injured it seems like a mad decision. Comes in the last day, scores 3 or 4 points then isn't played in a game where we get to have a right look at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Galway starting XV & subs v Limerick
    (2020 NHL Div.1, Rd.2)

1. Eanna Murphy,
    2. Sean Loftus,
    3. Gearoid McInerney,
    4. TJ Brennan,
    5. Padraig Mannion (Capt.),
    6. Shane Cooney,
    7. Aidan Harte,
    8. Adrian Tuohy,
    9. Sean Linnane,
    10. Diarmuid Kilcommins,
    11. Cathal Mannion,
    12. Joe Canning,
    13. Jason Flynn,
    14. Conor Whelan,
    15. Sean Bleahene

Subs: James Skehill, Paul Killeen, Jack Fitzpatrick, Ronan Burke, Jack Grealish, Davy Glennon, Eanna Burke, Darragh Burke, Conor Cooney, Brian Concannon, Evan Niland.
    Hurlers will get a proper test this weekend after last wkds handy outing. Be interesting to see how Shane Cooney goes in the vital no. 6 spot where he's was very good in recent AI club semi. Pity to see Haran injured, would of been good to see him get a few games in and see if he could break into the starting 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

Haran injured for a few weeks and Coen on honeymoon apparently. Interesting to see a fair clutch of Toms' lads in there, most especially Shane Cooney at no. 6. Loftus is scarcely a corner-back, Bleaheane I still think not even near it. Ja Mannion not even a sub., though a wet day Sunday probably wouldn't suit him best. Semi-experimental mode for the Gaelic grounds I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I can't see Kerin getting back in, he's a liabilty. Overly aggressive and giving away needless fouls in scorable positions. Molloy, Power, Tierney and Burke the most likely to challenge for places.

Could be right. I still think Kerin and SAOC are/were decent defenders. Both are still pretty young. With a different mind-set and different expectations I feel they could still have something to offer. Last couple of years seemed to be if you didn't win the ball outright you were to foul immediately. A long with a few more confidence seemed to be lacking. I think its a while before Kerin will be available but be interesting to see with SAOC get any chance in the league to get back in the team.

Could be right. I still think Kerin and SAOC are/were decent defenders. Both are still pretty young. With a different mind-set and different expectations I feel they could still have something to offer. Last couple of years seemed to be if you didn't win the ball outright you were to foul immediately. A long with a few more confidence seemed to be lacking. I think its a while before Kerin will be available but be interesting to see with SAOC get any chance in the league to get back in the team.

Is SAOC injured or just out of favour. The last management allowed him to balloon up to this lumbering overmuscled monster who spend more time looking to prove how hard he could hit rather than playing football. He needs to slim down and work on speed and power rather than strength and get back to playing ball. He was better when he was younger as he wasn't relying on physique as much.

Kerin just fouls regardless of what team he plays on. Touch of the small man syndrome which sees him trying to prove how physical he can be. Hes also goosed if the opposition put anyone with a bit of size in the corners. On saturday if he was palying he'd be coming up against Tommy Walsh and Clifford so you end up having to rejig your structure to find a man to put him on.

Is SAOC injured or just out of favour. The last management allowed him to balloon up to this lumbering overmuscled monster who spend more time looking to prove how hard he could hit rather than playing football. He needs to slim down and work on speed and power rather than strength and get back to playing ball. He was better when he was younger as he wasn't relying on physique as much.

Kerin just fouls regardless of what team he plays on. Touch of the small man syndrome which sees him trying to prove how physical he can be. Hes also goosed if the opposition put anyone with a bit of size in the corners. On saturday if he was palying he'd be coming up against Tommy Walsh and Clifford so you end up having to rejig your structure to find a man to put him on.

SAOC is just out of favour at the moment. Being amongst the subs in the two FBD games and the league game the last day. Hopefully he can rediscover some form. Kerry will tell a lot as to where the current full back line/defensive plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Kerin had a phenomenal 2018. He marked McManus (twice), McBrearty, JOD, Cillian O Conner (twice), Diarmuid Murtagh. While he didn't win all those battles, he won the majority. If he was playing Saturday, contrary to your other point, he'd be on JOD who he's comfortably got the better of whenever they've met.

Equally, he was quite poor last year, and that level certainty won't be good enough.

Still, don't think we've had a cb play to his 2018 level or anywhere near so I'd be hopeful he gets back in. The team is very short on cynical minded players, so he fills a role in that regard!

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Kerin had a phenomenal 2018. He marked McManus (twice), McBrearty, JOD, Cillian O Conner (twice), Diarmuid Murtagh. While he didn't win all those battles, he won the majority. If he was playing Saturday, contrary to your other point, he'd be on JOD who he's comfortably got the better of whenever they've met.

Equally, he was quite poor last year, and that level certainty won't be good enough.

Still, don't think we've had a cb play to his 2018 level or anywhere near so I'd be hopeful he gets back in. The team is very short on cynical minded players, so he fills a role in that regard!

In 2018 he was good in fairness but last year he just went mental as regards the aggression. He was nearly in a scrap every game. Maybe he was struggling and was using this to cover up the fact he was getting caught out but its certainly not something you can carry in a team. There was a question mark in every match whether he'd reach the 70 or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

A shoulder injury has ruled Liam Mellows clubman Tadhg Haran out of Sunday's NHL clash with Limerick.

Haran was in fine scoring form in the opening round last weekend against Westmeath, finishing with 0-06 from play.

During the Walsh Cup, in the absence of Joe Canning, Haran took on the responsibility of free-taker, finishing with 0-20 (0-18f)

- 0-08 (0-07f) vs Dublin (Walsh Cup semi-final)
    - 0-12 (0-11f) vs Wexford (Walsh Cup final)

A shoulder injury has ruled Liam Mellows clubman Tadhg Haran out of Sunday's NHL clash with Limerick.

Haran was in fine scoring form in the opening round last weekend against Westmeath, finishing with 0-06 from play.

During the Walsh Cup, in the absence of Joe Canning, Haran took on the responsibility of free-taker, finishing with 0-20 (0-18f)

- 0-08 (0-07f) vs Dublin (Walsh Cup semi-final)
    - 0-12 (0-11f) vs Wexford (Walsh Cup final)

Pity. Be great to see how he'd fair against a top end team like Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I might be jumping the gun a bit cos we don't know the full info, but Duggan underwent surgery today for a knee problem that was flagged in the media at least a month ago. Last year, Comer was misdiagnosed, then after the proper diagnosis, took over 3 weeks to undergo surgery. Those 3 weeks cost us him in the Connacht final and definitely the Mayo game fully. What on earth is going on? Is it a cost saving exercise? Canning had his injury on a Sunday last year and had surgery on the Thursday. Most top counties have this sorted asap

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I might be jumping the gun a bit cos we don't know the full info, but Duggan underwent surgery today for a knee problem that was flagged in the media at least a month ago. Last year, Comer was misdiagnosed, then after the proper diagnosis, took over 3 weeks to undergo surgery. Those 3 weeks cost us him in the Connacht final and definitely the Mayo game fully. What on earth is going on? Is it a cost saving exercise? Canning had his injury on a Sunday last year and had surgery on the Thursday. Most top counties have this sorted asap

Duggan has been out injured with that injury since end of league last year. Didn't play any club championship for annaghdown last year so it's odd that he only had operation today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mjp wrote: »
    Duggan has been out injured with that injury since end of league last year. Didn't play any club championship for annaghdown last year so it's odd that he only had operation today.

He had a recurrence of the injury I heard.

Matt Tierney amongst the subs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

GBM coverage is maddening could they not go to the match a few minutes before throw in?

GBM coverage is maddening could they not go to the match a few minutes before throw in?

At least they have coverage. A match like this should be on Eir for Rte. This year we get zero Galway games and 5 Dublin games. Load of crap as usual

threeball wrote:
    At least they have coverage. A match like this should be on Eir for Rte. This year we get zero Galway games and 5 Dublin games. Load of crap as usual

Struggling to lay a hand on them defensively. Missed a hat load up front. Last Comer chance looked as stone wall penalty as he was being dragged to the ground as he struck it.

• Advertisement

Struggling to lay a hand on them defensively. Missed a hat load up front. Last Comer chance looked as stone wall penalty as he was being dragged to the ground as he struck it.

Same as the last day so. Loads of goal chances but wide open at the back. I don't know if they're going to bother their hole with a defensive system this year. We'll just go gunslinger. At this rate we'd be better to put Silke corner forward rather than CB as he's a great finisher one on one.

Matt Tierney on for second half in full forward line.

Matt Tierney on for second half in full forward line.

Does that mean he can't play u20 this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Kerry FM far better.

threeball wrote:
    Does that mean he can't play u20 this year?

Ya. Struggling with the ref in this half.

Disgraceful stuff from the officials from everything on the radio. Did their best to hand it to Kerry. Blatant pushes in the back. Not allowing Mcdaid back on. Amateur stuff. Surely there has to be consequences for such poor officiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sickening loss for the footballers down in Tralee. 3 points up in added time and they let Kerry in for a very late 1-1 to sneak a win. Apart from the disastrous ending sounds like they performed pretty well. Matthew Tierney came off the bench in the 2nd half.

Sickening loss for the footballers down in Tralee. 3 points up in added time and they let Kerry in for a very late 1-1 to sneak a win. Apart from the disastrous ending sounds like they performed pretty well. Matthew Tierney came off the bench in the 2nd half.

The winner came while we were incorrectly being restricted to 14 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

The winner came while we were incorrectly being restricted to 14 men.

Yeah it sounded like he was in the sin bin for nearly 12 mins

• Advertisement

jam83 wrote: »
    Yeah it sounded like he was in the sin bin for nearly 12 mins

Fourth official refused to let him back on. Scan Concannon was in his ear for 2 mins and he still wouldn't budge. He has one job, watch a countdown clock and he can't even do that.

Advertisement