Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

His pace is the least of his problems.

His decision making is awful. He scored two points yesterday that were low percentage shots. As a manager I'd rather see a player take a high percentage shot and miss than someone take a low and score as over time the fella taking the high percentage will contribute more.

He needs to stop thinking hes Kevin De Bruyne as well and keep it simple as he doesn't seem to know his limitations.
    Two crucial moments yesterday. At two points up near the end, he tried to kick a cross field pass and put it out of play, they scored from the next attack.
    Had the spare man emerging from the FB line as well.

Then they had the free tight on the sideline, Kilcoo pushed up on Power so nothing obvious popped up straight away, he kicked it down the line and it was turned over, albeit it was a ball the forward should have won. As he kicked it though someone emerged in around CB who was free.

Hes fine as a club player and the team hes in are good enough to win with errors but pretty much game after game he's kicking balls over sideslines/endlines and kicking bad sides.

That's an extremely harsh view of Steede, I don't agree to be honest. From what we've seen from the current options Galway have at midfield he's as good as
    , if not better than most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

His pace is the least of his problems.

His decision making is awful. He scored two points yesterday that were low percentage shots. As a manager I'd rather see a player take a high percentage shot and miss than someone take a low and score as over time the fella taking the high percentage will contribute more.

He needs to stop thinking hes Kevin De Bruyne as well and keep it simple as he doesn't seem to know his limitations.
    Two crucial moments yesterday. At two points up near the end, he tried to kick a cross field pass and put it out of play, they scored from the next attack.
    Had the spare man emerging from the FB line as well.

Then they had the free tight on the sideline, Kilcoo pushed up on Power so nothing obvious popped up straight away, he kicked it down the line and it was turned over, albeit it was a ball the forward should have won. As he kicked it though someone emerged in around CB who was free.

Hes fine as a club player and the team hes in are good enough to win with errors but pretty much game after game he's kicking balls over sideslines/endlines and kicking bad sides.

That's some hatchet job on a guy who was MOTM on a few occasions on their run to the all Ireland and has 4 medals in the press.

As far as taking low percentage kicks, there were no high percentage options in the first half of that game for Corofin. They were faltering badly and they needed scores to get them going. He delivered, 3 times. It'd be a pretty boring and predictable game if everyone just worked it to the edge of the D before having a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Team named.

Gleeson
    Heaney
    Mulkerrins
    Duane
    McDaid
    J Daly
    O Donnell
    Flynn
    D'Arcy
    M. Daly
    Conroy
    Boyle
    Finnerty
    Walsh
    Varley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This naming the team on the Tuesday every week with no changes until kick off is refreshing on the one hand. It's worryingly naive on the other. As far as I know, ya don't have to submit a team to a programme until Thursday. Why give Monaghan an extra session knowing they won't have to start against Comer for instance. I know he can change it pre throw in but he's never done it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

not a bad team and good to have Monaghan in the opening game as they'll be tough but I think they're gone back a bit from where they were and it's a relatively winnable opener. Will be serious competition for places which is good to see. Comer will be back in when fit but Ian Burke on current form might struggle to get back in the team. Hasn't been good for a while now. Needs to back himself a bit more as he has the ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This naming the team on the Tuesday every week with no changes until kick off is refreshing on the one hand. It's worryingly naive on the other. As far as I know, ya don't have to submit a team to a programme until Thursday. Why give Monaghan an extra session knowing they won't have to start against Comer for instance. I know he can change it pre throw in but he's never done it yet

Don't think that will matter too much as Monaghan at this point don't know what involvement Comer will have. He might start, he might not. If anything he'll be more of a threat coming in with 15 mins to go and I imagine that's what they'll be expecting/preparing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »

There were two changes to the selected team before the Roscommon game.

It is a bit of a departure to name the team so early in the week though. Under Walsh I think it came out around 9pm every Friday evening. Joyce seems to have settled on Tuesday. For the moment anyway.

Anyway vital to win this one as it's followed by two very tough away games down in Kerry and up in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

There were two changes to the selected team before the Roscommon game.

Both injury related no? Second hand info so I stand corrected if wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robert2014

How soon can the Corofin players be integrated into the Galway senior setup?

Robert2014 wrote: »

You'd imagine you'll see some of them come the 3rd or 4th game of the league. It's asking alot for any of them to set into IC training and game schedule now given they've had 3 years without break. There might be more benefit in bringing them back for game 6 or 7 and hopefully we might be in a position to progress in the league.

• Advertisement

Robert2014 wrote: »

They were back the week after the All Ireland last year. Expect Molloy and Silke asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As a neutral, Molloy didn't really set the pulses racing in either the semi-formal or final.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robert2014

Be good to get them in asap. Take the benefit of the Club Championships finishing early. A good start in the league is vital. What should be the expectation for the league? I wouldn't expect a lot from Dublin and Kerry but hopeful for all other games so maintaining Division 1 status would be the minimum expectation I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Hard to say really. Based on the other forums we seem to be in the best shape.

-Tyrones forwards are all either injured or in Australia
    -No one in Donegal is able to walk
    -13 or 14 of the Mayo squad have gone off to join ISIS because they've all been sexting Lisa Smith. Or some other deep dark secret everyone knows about but is afraid to say out loud
    -Cluxtons in danger of losing the arm, Farrell is only getting used to to the job and everyone that went to Bali came back 3 stone heavier
    -Kerry are just trying to get a bit of fitness
    -Meath are missing more players than I ever knew they had
    -No ones saying anything about Monaghan

I think that sums things up.

Gonna win the league lads. Vincent Hogan says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

grbear wrote: »
    Hard to say really. Based on the other forums we seem to be in the best shape.

-Tyrones forwards are all either injured or in Australia
    -No one in Donegal is able to walk
    -13 or 14 of the Mayo squad have gone off to join ISIS because they've all been sexting Lisa Smith. Or some other deep dark secret everyone knows about but is afraid to say out loud
    -Cluxtons in danger of losing the arm, Farrell is only getting used to to the job and everyone that went to Bali came back 3 stone heavier
    -Kerry are just trying to get a bit of fitness
    -Meath are missing more players than I ever knew they had
    -No ones saying anything about Monaghan

I think that sums things up.

Gonna win the league lads. Vincent Hogan says so.
    Tis ours to lose

How many of the Thomas' lads will we see in that team come championship. Only themselves and Daithi really to come back in there. Very inexperienced midfield, you'd think they'd put Cathal Mannion out there to give that bit of stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Best of luck to oughterard

Best of luck to oughterard

Going great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Oughterard going very well. Looks over already. They’ll have no complaints about the ref!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Great first half. Two Tierneys and that Patrick Walsh are having serious matches. Probably fortunate not to have conceded two goals in that last 10 minutes.

Really enjoyable match. The FF for the Monaghan crowd is class too.

That's a lethal few minutes. Get the goal then hit two quick points to really drive it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭testtech05

grbear wrote: »
    That's a lethal few minutes. Get the goal then hit two quick points to really drive it home.

What's the score now?

testtech05 wrote: »
    What's the score now?

2-14 to 0-12 in Oughterards favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Well done oughterard. Great win.

Some session in Oughterard tonight. If they all get back in time lol. A long way from Dublin.

Enda Tierney man of the match and will surely get called up to the Galway panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Congrats to oughterard.great win for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Well done Oughterard. First Galway intermediate AI winner since Moycullen in 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Oughterard are a serious team

Wouldn't surprise me to see them go very deep in senior this year!

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Oughterard are a serious team

Wouldn't surprise me to see them go very deep in senior this year!

A young side as well. So should be around for a long time if they keep everyone together.

Advertisement