Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

threeball wrote: »
    Fourth official refused to let him back on. Scan Concannon was in his ear for 2 mins and he still wouldn't budge. He has one job, watch a countdown clock and he can't even do that.

What are the technicalities though with the sin bin? Does the clock start the second he gets the black card or is it when the game restarts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Comer penalty first half not given.
    Clear black card foul on Tom Flynn.
    McDaid let sitting too long.
    Number of other small decisions didn't go our way which can happen. Sloppy ball for the goal was disappointing as things tightened up a bit in the second half. Will need to convert more as we created a lot of chances that were straight forward chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭threeball

jam83 wrote: »
    What are the technicalities though with the sin bin? Does the clock start the second he gets the black card or is it when the game restarts?

Clock starts when game restarts after card. Doesn't stop again regardless of game stoppages

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Comer penalty first half not given.
    Clear black card foul on Tom Flynn.
    McDaid let sitting too long.
    Number of other small decisions didn't go our way which can happen. Sloppy ball for the goal was disappointing as things tightened up a bit in the second half. Will need to convert more as we created a lot of chances that were straight forward chances.

Just saw some highlights there. Missed a lot of goal chances. 3 or 4 good ones went a begging.

Just saw some highlights there. Missed a lot of goal chances. 3 or 4 good ones went a begging.

Certainly need to be upping the conversion rate. Even the last attempt to draw level was a bit of snatch by Comer.

Didn't mention it but Shane Walsh was mesmerising in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

threeball wrote: »
    The winner came while we were incorrectly being restricted to 14 men.

Correctly I’m afraid. The rule states there has to be a break in play for the player to return from the sin bin. There was no break in play after his 10mins elapsed.
    Stupid rule, but the official was only doing what he has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Forge83 wrote: »
    Correctly I’m afraid. The rule states there has to be a break in play for the player to return from the sin bin. There was no break in play after his 10mins elapsed.

Stupid alright. A 10 minute sin bin turned into a 13 minute sin bin where the opposition scored 1-1 in those extra 3 minutes.

Forge83 wrote:
    Correctly I’m afraid. The rule states there has to be a break in play for the player to return from the sin bin. There was no break in play after his 10mins elapsed. Stupid rule, but the official was only doing what he has to.

Fairly certain Matt Tierney in the middle of the park and Liam Costello under the stand fouled after the ten mins. Kerry moved the frees so quick the ref just kept playing.

Forge83 wrote: »

There was 3 breaks in play including 2 kick outs. It was a clusterfcuk by the 4th official

Certainly need to be upping the conversion rate. Even the last attempt to draw level was a bit of snatch by Comer.

Didn't mention it but Shane Walsh was mesmerising in the second half.

Walsh is as good as anyone in the country when he's on song. His pace is unmatched ball in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ref made a fcukin heams of things tonight several times.
    Could be a good year yet for joycey and the lads please god

Ref made a fcukin heams of things tonight several times.
    Could be a good year yet for joycey and the lads please god

It's an awful pity that we won't have Cooke and Duggan. They are huge links missing from a very good panel. I think Kerry might have a stronger first 15 but we're way stronger off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm.onlu basing off radio aswel but fair fuccks to them. Sounded like they shoulve shaded it, away to possibly the best team in Ireland. Can't judge but sounded like a couple of novicey mistakes cost them. Can't complain about much tbh, fairly happy and proud with that

Galway team staying down two nights. Last night and tonight. Money must not be that tight after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'm.onlu basing off radio aswel but fair fuccks to them. Sounded like they shoulve shaded it, away to possibly the best team in Ireland. Can't judge but sounded like a couple of novicey mistakes cost them. Can't complain about much tbh, fairly happy and proud with that

The best team in Ireland won in Castlebar tonight.

Not enough coin for a run of performance enhancers like certain neighbors sadly

Fann Linn wrote:

Looked a great game

Fann Linn wrote: »

Kerry went offf favourites to beat Dublin in Dublin's home pitch last Saturday, so whatever you think yourself bud. They may be better in future, they're not right now in league with ppl missing

Looked a great game

Over after 10 minutes.

Fann Linn wrote:
    Over after 10 minutes.

Watching it now. Would rather watch a drunk piss himself. Be slightly more entertaining.

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Kerry went offf favourites to beat Dublin in Dublin's home pitch last Saturday, so whatever you think yourself bud. They may be better in future, they're not right now in league with ppl missing
    As of this moment in time Dublin are best team in National league.
    We'll exclude the 5 in a row for now.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    As of this moment in time Dublin are best team in National league.
    We'll exclude the 5 in a row for now.

Grand, enjoy the pedantics. Galway were a stupid mistake away from beating the "second best' team in the country away in a league game. I personally see optimism from that. Missing a few faces too

Hulk Hands wrote:

To get back to today plenty to like and plenty to ponder.

Gleeson. Much better with kick outs. Short and medium range very good for most of the game. Only forced aimless long on a few occasions. Galway won most of their own kick outs I think.

Full back line were always going to have it tough. Joyce was decisive with taking of Duane midway through the first half. Heaney and Mulkerrins battled hard throughout.

Kerry runners caused our half back lines problems but to a man they played well. Daly turned over a few. McDaid got a point and up until the black card was having a decent game. GOD was his usual steady self.

D'Arcy is getting into it. Played well today. Blazed wide in front of goal when I thought he was fouled. Steed was quiet but deserves chances to prove himself. I don't think he's up to it but we'll see. Flynn back on the pitch is good for Donegal.

Barnnigan best game in I don't know how long. Ran all day. Scored three I think and a pity he didn't finish the goal chance in the first half. Comer getting better. Brings a physicality to the half forward line. Wild effort in the second half when we needed a clam head. Unlucky not to get a penalty for a goal chance late in the first half. Took the responsibility to shoot the equalizer but unfortunately shot wide. O Laoi I'm struggling to understand how he's getting so much game time. Missed a mark and kicked a couple of stupid balls away. Not involved.

Finnerty struggled to get into it fully. Replaced at half time. Matt Tierney did little when he came on. Still nice to see him involved. Shane Walsh scored an unreal goal and tormented them all day. Still missed two easy ones in the first half he needs to convert. A mark and an interception in front of the goals. Michael Daly is struggling to hold his spot I would think. Turned over three times in the first half. Scored a nice point but also blazed a goal chance wide from a tight angle.

Kelly did ok of being introduced. Costello didn't do much got pulled for over carrying at an important stage. Flynn didn't have much influence. Varley was his usual when he came on out in front all day. Will start the next day I think.

Didn't think we got much breaks from the ref I felt but it can be hard to get decisions on away days.

Plenty to like plenty to work on. Still players to be given their chance so the rest of the league should be interesting. Win in Donegal I feel we could push for top two. Otherwise the focus will be on consolidation.

To get back to today plenty to like and plenty to ponder.

Gleeson. Much better with kick outs. Short and medium range very good for most of the game. Only forced aimless long on a few occasions. Galway won most of their own kick outs I think.

Full back line were always going to have it tough. Joyce was decisive with taking of Duane midway through the first half. Heaney and Mulkerrins battled hard throughout.

Kerry runners caused our half back lines problems but to a man they played well. Daly turned over a few. McDaid got a point and up until the black card was having a decent game. GOD was his usual steady self.

D'Arcy is getting into it. Played well today. Blazed wide in front of goal when I thought he was fouled. Steed was quiet but deserves chances to prove himself. I don't think he's up to it but we'll see. Flynn back on the pitch is good for Donegal.

Barnnigan best game in I don't know how long. Ran all day. Scored three I think and a pity he didn't finish the goal chance in the first half. Comer getting better. Brings a physicality to the half forward line. Wild effort in the second half when we needed a clam head. Unlucky not to get a penalty for a goal chance late in the first half. Took the responsibility to shoot the equalizer but unfortunately shot wide. O Laoi I'm struggling to understand how he's getting so much game time. Missed a mark and kicked a couple of stupid balls away. Not involved.

Finnerty struggled to get into it fully. Replaced at half time. Matt Tierney did little when he came on. Still nice to see him involved. Shane Walsh scored an unreal goal and tormented them all day. Still missed two easy ones in the first half he needs to convert. A mark and an interception in front of the goals. Michael Daly is struggling to hold his spot I would think. Turned over three times in the first half. Scored a nice point but also blazed a goal chance wide from a tight angle.

Kelly did ok of being introduced. Costello didn't do much got pulled for over carrying at an important stage. Flynn didn't have much influence. Varley was his usual when he came on out in front all day. Will start the next day I think.

Didn't think we got much breaks from the ref I felt but it can be hard to get decisions on away days.

Plenty to like plenty to work on. Still players to be given their chance so the rest of the league should be interesting. Win in Donegal I feel we could push for top two. Otherwise the focus will be on consolidation.

It sounded like Gleeson saved our bacon on a few goal chances from what i heard. Do you think he keeps the jersey or will Power be first choice when he returns.

threeball wrote:
    It sounded like Gleeson saved our bacon on a few goal chances from what i heard. Do you think he keeps the jersey or will Power be first choice when he returns.

PJ might want to give Power some game time but for me Gleeson is now number one. Kickouts were better. Movement for kickouts much better. Safe under the high ball. Excellent shot stopper and is confident on the ball. (I thought he was going to kick the equalizer!) For me Gleeson and Varley have played themselves into the team. D'Arcy now looks an option for midfield after last night.

Buff Egan has all the scores on his snapchat story, and a few missed chances, which is more than league Sunday will show later. Looked like Comer should certainly have had a penalty

Hulk Hands wrote:
    Buff Egan has all the scores on his snapchat story, and a few missed chances, which is more than league Sunday will show later. Looked like Comer should certainly have had a penalty

Galway stats man said we took 6/16 chances in the first half! Chances missed first half were relatively straight forward. O Laoi and Walsh with missed marks. Walsh and D'Arcy blazing wide in front of goal. Positive is the are working the ball till the get decent scoring chances rather than wild pot shots (we had three in the second half) but obviously we need to be taking these chances.

Galway stats man said we took 6/16 chances in the first half! Chances missed first half were relatively straight forward. O Laoi and Walsh with missed marks. Walsh and D'Arcy blazing wide in front of goal. Positive is the are working the ball till the get decent scoring chances rather than wild pot shots (we had three in the second half) but obviously we need to be taking these chances.

Well we have 4 months to put it right so times on our side. Great to be creating so many goal chances. That must be 10 in two games. If we can covert 50% they'll be a very hard team to beat even if it's a shootout.

If we are going to give goal chances like we're doing currently having a shot stopper like Gleeson is basically a requirement.

Good to hear they are working on the kick outs.

Thanks for the Buff Egan mention. He gives great coverage to be fair to him.

And watching back the Comer goal chance it has to be a penalty. If he doesn't strike at all what would the ref of done?

And it shows what I thought was a clear black card for a foul on Tom Flynn.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

IS the Limerick v Galway game live on TG4 ?

Advertisement