Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Congrats to joycey and the lads today.fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Listening on the radio don't think Galway were done a lot of favours refereeing wise. Sean Walsh and Cyril seemed flabbergasted about the winning free when they reckon Killeen seemed to do everything right but ending up giving away a free and got a yellow card. When you here players subbed off coming back on you realise how thread bare the panel is at the moment.

Flannery
    Morrissey
    D. Burke
    Hanbury
    Fintan Burke
    Shane Cooney
    Aidan Harte
    David Burke
    Johnny Coen
    Cathal Mannion
    Joe Canning
    Conor Whelan
    Niall Burke
    Eanna Burke
    Kevin Cooney
    Joseph Cooney*
    Johnny Glynn*

None started today. Some came on. A lot to return.

Best of luck to corofin

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

There's more of a buzz about the footballers this year compared to last year. I'm not sure exactly how much is down to the change of management and how much is down to the squad being in a much better place now compared to last year but there's definitely more interest in them.
    I think people forget just how bad the injury situation was heading in to the league in 2019. A lot of people expected a relegation battle at this point last year but thankfully that didn't happen.

Always good to beat Roscommon and Shane Walsh seems to be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

grbear wrote: »
    There's more of a buzz about the footballers this year compared to last year. I'm not sure exactly how much is down to the change of management and how much is down to the squad being in a much better place now compared to last year but there's definitely more interest in them.
    I think people forget just how bad the injury situation was heading in to the league in 2019. A lot of people expected a relegation battle at this point last year but thankfully that didn't happen.

That team was going nowhere under Walsh and everyone knew it. There was never going to be a buzz around a set up like that.
    The new management let's people imagine there might be possibilities given the quality of the squad and the change of style. Remains to be seen in the league if that style means we're back to being leaky at the back or if they have developed a system that can balance defence and attack. The losses through injury and drop outs will hurt this squad badly unfortunately. They needed those options and depth to be able to compete with Dublin and Kerry.

• Advertisement

grbear wrote: »

A change is as good as a rest.thanks to Kevin Walsh for all he did for football but it had run its course and was gone flat.
    Now with joycey in its a great and exciting time for Galway football.onwards and upwards.
    Interesting times ahead hopefully.corofin and oughterard players will be available early in the year too so joycey should have the pick of a serious squad with strength and depth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

threeball wrote: »
    That team was going nowhere under Walsh and everyone knew it. There was never going to be a buzz around a set up like that.
    The new management let's people imagine there might be possibilities given the quality of the squad and the change of style. Remains to be seen in the league if that style means we're back to being leaky at the back or if they have developed a system that can balance defence and attack. The losses through injury and drop outs will hurt this squad badly unfortunately. They needed those options and depth to be able to compete with Dublin and Kerry.

To be fair reaching the division 1 final and All Ireland semi final as Galway did in 2018 was hardly going no where, and if Galway repeat that this year I'm sure the majority of Galway supporters will regard it as a very good year.

To be fair reaching the division 1 final and All Ireland semi final as Galway did in 2018 was hardly going no where, and if Galway repeat that this year I'm sure the majority of Galway supporters will regard it as a very good year.

It was going nowhere. They obviously had the second or third best squad in the country so a semi final was no great shakes in a competition with 4 good teams. They hadn't a notion of beating any of the other 3 playing the football they were.

Tg4 are 30 seconds behind Galway bay fm on commentary.
    Up the curry’s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Corofin v poor so far

• Advertisement

They deserved that.

Just being cynical and the second player who slowed the play down after the black card was beyond stupid. Having said that he brought it forward way too far.

Its about time the time keeping was taken out of the hands of the ref as the difference between the ref deciding can mean Team A wins, Team B wins or they draw over the course of a single minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Why did Leonard attempt to score that free from out on the sideline? Just gave the ball back to Kilcoo. Surely just had to just keep hold of possession for the last minute.

Burke missed as awful sitter just before that as well.

Totally lost their heads at the end. Fair play to Devlin that was some pressure kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭testtech05

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Totally lost their heads at the end. Fair play to Devlin that was some pressure kick.

Was the free brought forward for dissent? Or for the off the ball stuff going on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

testtech05 wrote: »
    Was the free brought forward for dissent? Or for the off the ball stuff going on

Dissent according to the analysis.

Great first half from corofin. Can't be the hell that they can't see this out now.

Corofin are finally waking up kick on now ffs

Congrats to corofin.well done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Well done corofin

Fair play to them. 3 in a row is an extraordinary achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Well done corofin some achievement 3 in a row

Definitely not at their best this whole campaign. They won't care a jot but it's definitely a talking point. Just a blip or are they on the way down for the forseeable? I've never seen them as rattled as today in normal time and they were there for the taking a few times in the Galway champ

That said they're still AI champs and it's obviously a wonderful sign they can do that not at their best. They still show glimpses but their performance levels have gone inconsistent. Still good enough to be best in the country however

They're having a bit of a drought at underage now too also so will be very interesting to see how long the Galway dominance does continue at senior. Is 2020 the year they'll be caught?

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Well done corofin some achievement 3 in a row

Definitely not at their best this whole campaign. They won't care a jot but it's definitely a talking point. Just a blip or are they on the way down for the forseeable? I've never seen them as rattled as today in normal time and they were there for the taking a few times in the Galway champ

That said they're still AI champs and it's obviously a wonderful sign they can do that not at their best. They still show glimpses but their performance levels have gone inconsistent. Still good enough to be best in the country however

They're having a bit of a drought at underage now too also so will be very interesting to see how long the Galway dominance does continue at senior. Is 2020 the year they'll be caught?

I think that's the end of them now for a while. You'll see some retirements from the players and management I'd assume.
    They scraped through the entire campaign but could lift it at vital stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I think that's the end of them now for a while. You'll see some retirements from the players and management I'd assume.
    They scraped through the entire campaign but could lift it at vital stages.

Yeah- was more muscle memory than anything that got them through this campaign!

I think St James's in the group stages in Galway are the only team they really hammered all year

It changes the 'county call ups' conversation too. Last year I could easily see 5 or 6 pushing very hard for a start with Galway. Funnily enough at present I could only see Ian Burke, Power and Liam Silke featuring in championship but the others do have a full league to stake their claim this time however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It was going nowhere. They obviously had the second or third best squad in the country so a semi final was no great shakes in a competition with 4 good teams. They hadn't a notion of beating any of the other 3 playing the football they were.

A big improvement on where Galway was before Walsh arrived and Galway rarely if ever don't have a good squad to pick from.

Remains to be seen will Joyce take them further with this new style of play. At the end of the day the most successful team's are firstly solid defensively even Corofin are a prime example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭mjp

jr86 wrote:
    It changes the 'county call ups' conversation too. Last year I could easily see 5 or 6 pushing very hard for a start with Galway. Funnily enough at present I could only see Ian Burke, Power and Liam Silke featuring in championship but the others do have a full league to stake their claim this time however.

Ian Burke scoring return is not good enough for an inside forward in my opinion. Hes a great linkman and lays on lots of scores but his scoring return in this season's campaign has been shocking poor. Would like to see Steeds get a run of games midfield with county as he once again was their go to man when they struggling today. Has good engine to cover ground and doesn't give away possession too cheaply.

mjp wrote: »
    Ian Burke scoring return is not good enough for an inside forward in my opinion. Hes a great linkman and lays on lots of scores but his scoring return in this season's campaign has been shocking poor. Would like to see Steeds get a run of games midfield with county as he once again was their go to man when they struggling today. Has good engine to cover ground and doesn't give away possession too cheaply.

Steedes main issue to transition to IC is his pace. You can get away with it somewhat in hurling but in football pace generally decides who will make IC and who won't. I've seen some brilliant footballers left behind because they were short a yard or two. Barry McHugh has the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Why did Leonard attempt to score that free from out on the sideline? Just gave the ball back to Kilcoo. Surely just had to just keep hold of possession for the last minute.

Burke missed as awful sitter just before that as well.

Agree, crazy to give the ball back to them at that stage when they were good in possession.

Worked out in the end but could have been costly.

Steedes main issue to transition to IC is his pace. You can get away with it somewhat in hurling but in football pace generally decides who will make IC and who won't. I've seen some brilliant footballers left behind because they were short a yard or two. Barry McHugh has the same problem.

His pace is the least of his problems.

His decision making is awful. He scored two points yesterday that were low percentage shots. As a manager I'd rather see a player take a high percentage shot and miss than someone take a low and score as over time the fella taking the high percentage will contribute more.

He needs to stop thinking hes Kevin De Bruyne as well and keep it simple as he doesn't seem to know his limitations.
    Two crucial moments yesterday. At two points up near the end, he tried to kick a cross field pass and put it out of play, they scored from the next attack.
    Had the spare man emerging from the FB line as well.

Then they had the free tight on the sideline, Kilcoo pushed up on Power so nothing obvious popped up straight away, he kicked it down the line and it was turned over, albeit it was a ball the forward should have won. As he kicked it though someone emerged in around CB who was free.

Hes fine as a club player and the team hes in are good enough to win with errors but pretty much game after game he's kicking balls over sideslines/endlines and kicking bad sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

GS11 wrote: »
    Agree, crazy to give the ball back to them at that stage when they were good in possession.

Worked out in the end but could have been costly.

I could be wrong, but at that stage wasn't time well past the 5 minutes allotted for injury time? And the ball had been in play for almost all of it with Kilcoo passing over and back in front of the Corofin goal.

In hindsight it seems a poor decision, but at the time I was certain it was the last kick of the game and it would be full time on a kick out being taken. I imagine the players thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robert2014

Congrats to Corofin, amazing achievement. Gave as good as they got in the cynical/dark arts but since they won playing proper football on the last 2 occasions, I can't imagine it was in their plans to use that yesterday. But you need to fight fire with fire and did that.

Really should have won the game in normal time, made some silly decisions and the ref was always going to give Kilcoo one final chance, particularly since they went down a man.

Best team won, thankfully in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mjp wrote: »

Yeah I'm not sure Ian Burke is an automatic selection for Galway. At the moment Adrian Varley is playing the Ian Burke role pretty well and is probably a bigger scoring threat himself. Early days though.

Advertisement