Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

What is the story with Cooney and Glynn? Will they be available at any stage this year? I know Glynn is involved with the NY footballers, Cooney is in Australia I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

macslash wrote: »
    What is the story with Cooney and Glynn? Will they be available at any stage this year? I know Glynn is involved with the NY footballers, Cooney is in Australia I think

If you know where both of them are.... then that is the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

To me the new goalie looks good, very assured in what he does

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

big_drive wrote: »
    To me the new goalie looks good, very assured in what he does

Frankly, I thought he should have been brought in last year. He's not afraid to come off his line when he needs to. Will have to work a bit more on the puck outs, but that'll come with time.

I'm not writing off this year based on one league match in February, but the league itself could be a slog for this Galway team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

RMAOK wrote: »
    Frankly, I thought he should have been brought in last year. He's not afraid to come off his line when he needs to. Will have to work a bit more on the puck outs, but that'll come with time.

I'm not writing off this year based on one league match in February, but the league itself could be a slog for this Galway team.

He looks very assured for his age and experience. Hopefully he is persevered with.

Tough day today but worth a lot more than the type of game Cork and Tipp played last night with no contact or tight marking to be seen.

Think this league campaign will be very mixed bag with the changes there have been. Similar to the last management changeover that happened later than it should and we got relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I thought Brennan carried himself really well today. Was hugely impressed tbh. Only other lad that stuck out was Whelan. He worked his bollocks off to little support.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

RMAOK wrote: »
    Probably not, but a lot of his problems came from the half forwards and midfield not marking tightly enough when limerick had the ball. The amount of time that some limerick players had on the ball to pick out a man was ridiculous tbh.

Agreed, I thought he did okay in a position that didn't really suit him, was being dragged all over the place and stuck with it, it wasn't pretty but he was effective,

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Barely hit a football score.

The worst performance I had to sit through in a long time.
    Even as bad as the Waterford ones were last year we played for portions of the games.

God knows what they're doing in training but they might as well not bother.

Time to move on from some of these players too, Flynn was being marked by a lad 4 or 5 inches smaller and he was dominated.
    Concannon is there a few years now and still cant establish himself.

We look further away from an AI now than we did at any point over the last 15 years.
    Cant win puckouts, cant hit a man in space, cant close out space in our backs.

This is the first year in a while we look to have more chance in the football.

I see more hope for Flynn than Concannon tbh, in fairness we didn't get one proper high ball into him that he could contest with his man.

I'd like to see Niland given a shot, at least he can get the ball into his hand and look around and find someone with a pass or take a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    If you know where both of them are.... then that is the story.

I clearly meant will they be available later in the year or come championship. Wasn't sure if it was known or not. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭threeball

macslash wrote: »
    I clearly meant will they be available later in the year or come championship. Wasn't sure if it was known or not. Thanks anyway

I've heard Glynn won't be back this year but I haven't heard anything about Cooney. Both made themselves available last year and Glynn the year before so its hard to expect them to keep coming back. if they watched yesterdays game they certainly wouldn't be getting too excited about backing their bags.

On the other hand if I was a footballer and away ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

threeball wrote: »
    I've heard Glynn won't be back this year but I haven't heard anything about Cooney. Both made themselves available last year and Glynn the year before so its hard to expect them to keep coming back. if they watched yesterdays game they certainly wouldn't be getting too excited about backing their bags.

On the other hand if I was a footballer and away ......

I never really expected Cooney back this year. Seemed like they were hopeful Glynn would back before Christmas but it's gone very quiet since. He was in very good shape when he came back last year to be fair to him. Cooney came back from Australia fairly late on and looked like he had been enjoying himself over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Anyone that watched the latter stages of last year's club hurling championship would be able to see that a few of these players aren't good enough to be on the panel.

Some players were absolutely anonymous in club fixtures yet are getting game time now.

Shane O Neill at a disadvantage perhaps being appointment late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I never really expected Cooney back this year. Seemed like they were hopeful Glynn would back before Christmas but it's gone very quiet since. He was in very good shape when he came back last year to be fair to him. Cooney came back from Australia fairly late on and looked like he had been enjoying himself over there.

Glynn being involved with the New York footballers would make me think no decision until after Galway go over. Cooney is a non runner atm unless they're was a big change of heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How were they working the Glynn thing with him in America???

sasta le wrote:
    How were they working the Glynn thing with him in America???

Comes home. Hurls. Galway progress he stays. Galway knocked out back to New York.

Comes home. Hurls. Galway progress he stays. Galway knocked out back to New York.

How does he work with training?
    Must have a handy job

sasta le wrote:
    How does he work with training? Must have a handy job

He works for two great Leitrim men who have been very accommodating to his Hurling career to date.

He works for two great Leitrim men who have been very accommodating to his Hurling career to date.

Must be
    So he just comes home for championship and misses training and the league

threeball wrote:
    Does that mean he can't play u20 this year?

Going back to Matt Tierney it seems he still can play U20 your only now excluded once you play a senior championship match rather than a league match. Rules seemed to of been changed when they decided to move the tie U20 back to spring.

• Advertisement

Lads come in here defending Kearney vigorously but it's no coincidence that sh1t follows this lad around like daggings on a sheep's hole. He seems like he wants to dismantle any decent management teams/structure within the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭testtech05

The comments about the 7k are worrying. Has nothing been learned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

Davy Glennon dropped off the hurling panel as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

kala85 wrote: »
    Davy Glennon dropped off the hurling panel as well

not the only one it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Was thinking of heading up to this one as some friends are based in letterkenny. Have to think it's more likely to be called off though at this stage? Even if it goes ahead, will likely be a miserable experience. Kinda annoying that our first game shown on TV to the masses will be a windy wet sloppy affair if it goes ahead. Can't see it suiting us whatsoever

Heading to Castlebar for the U20's Saturday then continuing on to Donegal. The way its reported I can't see it going ahead. Or else played in crazy conditions. Felt this was the toughest game we had in the league before it started and it still well could be. Letterkenny has never suited Donegal. And it remains to be seen will McBrearty feature. So there is hope. But the Monaghan game showed we may be vulnerable to a strong running team and I think Donegal are a bit more tough teak at the back compared to Kerry. All in all with the weather forecast included it could be a difficult afternoon.

Heading to Castlebar for the U20's Saturday then continuing on to Donegal. The way its reported I can't see it going ahead. Or else played in crazy conditions. Felt this was the toughest game we had in the league before it started and it still well could be. Letterkenny has never suited Donegal. And it remains to be seen will McBrearty feature. So there is hope. But the Monaghan game showed we may be vulnerable to a strong running team and I think Donegal are a bit more tough teak at the back compared to Kerry. All in all with the weather forecast included it could be a difficult afternoon.

Sounds like it could be like the Mayo game last year. Brutal conditions that make it a lottery. Would certainly suit the bigger more physical Donegal side. A full Donegal side are certainly a handful. I think its between them and us vying for position as number 3 and 4 in the country right now so a win for either one would be a decent marker for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway U-20 team (if it goes ahead).

EQLVIN_WkAEKnVv?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Was thinking of heading up to this one as some friends are based in letterkenny. Have to think it's more likely to be called off though at this stage? Even if it goes ahead, will likely be a miserable experience. Kinda annoying that our first game shown on TV to the masses will be a windy wet sloppy affair if it goes ahead. Can't see it suiting us whatsoever

Very confident this'll get called off in my very uneducated opinion. Weather warning just upgraded to orange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway U-20 team (if it goes ahead).

EQLVIN_WkAEKnVv?format=jpg&name=900x900

Promising midfield and HF line anyway; not sold on the FF line.

Advertisement