Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

jr86 wrote: »
    Was on bench. AhRef has programme up on Twitter

He needs to slim down and get back to concentrating on football rather than dragging and belting. Be good if Mulkerrin puts him under pressure for the jersey. He was pretty safe the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hard to know where we are after today. It's early and hard to know how much emphasis is put on these games. I guess the aim is to find "new" players and it's hard to know did we find anything today.

Gleeson. Possible. Two point blank saves where he made himself big. Went short on kickouts when he could. Otherwise went long like most Galway goalies in recent times. Did well in the penalty shoot out. Was caught out A bit for the goal and came steaming out for a couple of high balls when he could of left it to the defence.

Full back line was poor. None tight enough or turned over much ball. O Donnell near the end got a block and a turnover that was important but all in all was a bit all over the place. (Mayo goal came with a lad standing just outside the small square with no one within an asses roar of him)

Half back line I thought was our second strongest line ended up being our poorest today. None got in the game. Brannigan the best of the three. Daly never got going. McDaid kicked away a few stupid ones and ran down a blind alley a few more times. Black card summed up his day and let Mayo back in the game when we had just got on top.

Midfield started well and worked hard throughout. Mayo probably shaded it overall.

Half forward line poor enough. Boyle had a few flashes. Daly the same. Otherwise didn't really click for them.

Full forward line were brilliant. Out in front all game. Made decent decisions. Scored well. Nice to have PC back. Having seen Costello last year for the U20 he will offer plenty for the seniors. Tough and willing.

Plenty to work on. Definitely more emphasis on moving the ball quicker with the foot. Which suits. Defensively a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

An interesting documentary with Joe Canning on Friday night at 20.30 as part of Mary Mc Aleese's All Walks Of Life series.

She talks to Canning in Connemara's Mam Ean pass.

Canning discusses lessons he learnt when winning or losing matches and his visit to Aleppo in Syria.

Religion is important to him he reveals
    "A lot of people in today's society are too busy."
    "[They] have their heads stuck in their phones."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

threeball wrote: »
    He needs to slim down and get back to concentrating on football rather than dragging and belting. Be good if Mulkerrin puts him under pressure for the jersey. He was pretty safe the last 2 years.

The problem with finding a county full back a lot of the time is that most county standard players will generally play out the field for their clubs, even if they would make a very suitable number 3

So it can often be difficult to "discover" someone for the position, except via county underage.

Whatever happened to James Shaughnessy from Ballinasloe that time, he captained Galway at underage level and looked a surefire future candidate for the position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

FBD final to be played Saturday at 2pm Dr Hyde Park to avoid a clash with club All Ireland finals on Sunday.

Last 5 FBD finals all Galway v Roscommon games.

2015 in Kiltoom - Roscommon 4-8 Galway 1-12
    2016 in Tuam - Galway 2-8 Roscommon 0-13
    2017 in Kiltoom - Roscommon 0-15 Galway 2-14
    2018 in Hyde Park - Roscommon 2-16 Galway 3-12
    2019 in Tuam - Galway 1-5 Roscommon 0-13

The two sides have also contested the last 4 in a row Connacht championship finals with 2 wins each. A real healthy rivalry between the two since 2015.

• Advertisement

FBD final to be played Saturday at 2pm Dr Hyde Park to avoid a clash with club All Ireland finals on Sunday.

Good to see a bit of common sense anyway

I assume crowds will be affected quite a bit for the All Ireland club finals this year? The number of neutrals will drop for sure, but you'd imagine some of the more indifferent Corofin and Ballyhale people might not be as inclined to make the trek if they've other things on.

definitely feels a bit odd not being on Paddys!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The Galway Hurling Committee have agreed to allow Kiltormer remain in the Intermediate Hurling Championship for 2020. The East Galway Club were relegated to Junior A last season (2019) when they lost out to Kilbeacanty in the Intermediate Championship Relegation Final. The decision to keep the former All Ireland Club Champions in Intermediate was made at a Hurling committee meeting last week and means that there will be 15 teams in the IHC in 2020. Athenry were promoted to the Intermediate Championship by virtue of winning the Junior A championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

i think that is the third year that there has been no team dropping down from that grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭mjp

Pearlstone wrote: »
    i think that is the third year that there has been no team dropping down from that grade.

What's their reason for not being relegated? They getting away on a technicality.

I don’t know what the reasons rolled out in 2017 and 2018 were. I assume that this year they restructured into three groups of five in order to get through the championship in time for winners to be able to play in AI series. Doesn’t that have to be finished within the calendar year I 2020?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

mjp wrote: »
    What's their reason for not being relegated? They getting away on a technicality.

And rightly so .....Their man lifted McCarty twice...
    It’s the least they deserve..

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

I don’t know what the reasons rolled out in 2017 and 2018 were. I assume that this year they restructured into three groups of five in order to get through the championship in time for winners to be able to play in AI series. Doesn’t that have to be finished within the calendar year I 2020?

A group of 8 and 7 proposed by hurling committee.

You would have to worry about the integrity of the competitions in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Was any reason given for no relegation? Who lost the Junior final? They must feel a bit aggrieved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Did they charge at the gate for the relegation games? These were just challenge games now?

Salthill-Knocknacarra lost Junior A final I think.

Absolute joke. There are 3 to 4 clubs in intermediate who if they ended up in kiltormers position they would have been relegated no questions asked. Why have a competition at all if you won't relegate the lowest ranked team. May as well just vote on the team they want to see relegated and not play the competition at all.

From a club competition point of view this shouldn't happen.

But I suppose if this decision is made on the basis of providing a strong county team I see the benefit.

Need to keep hurling strong areas playing at a decent level, better for the game in the long run.

Not sure that would be the case. This is the third year in a row that this has happened. Seems a bit unfair to focus solely on this year. I recall it was Kilbecanty that dodged the bullet last year. Who were the beneficiaries of the Board’s kindness the previous year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team for FBD final v Roscommon

Ronan O'Beolain (Micheal Breathnach)
    Conor Campbell (Claregalway)
    Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann)
    Johnny Duane (St James)
    Eamon Brannigan (St Michael's)
    John Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
    Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
    Tom Flynn (Athenry)
    Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
    Sean Kelly (Moycullen)
    Michael Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
    Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
    Robert Finnerty (Salthill Knocknacarra)
    Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)
    Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)

From a club competition point of view this shouldn't happen.

But I suppose if this decision is made on the basis of providing a strong county team I see the benefit.

Need to keep hurling strong areas playing at a decent level, better for the game in the long run.

Keeping poor teams in a higher division does not help improve the game. These sides are living off previous glories and need the shock of being relegated to get them to knuckle down and start putting the work in again. If any of the non traditional hurling area teams were in their position there'd be no sympathy whatsoever and rightly so.

• Advertisement

Galway team for FBD final v Roscommon

Ronan O'Beolain (Micheal Breathnach)
    Conor Campbell (Claregalway)
    Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann)
    Johnny Duane (St James)
    Eamon Brannigan (St Michael's)
    John Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
    Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
    Tom Flynn (Athenry)
    Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
    Sean Kelly (Moycullen)
    Michael Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
    Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
    Robert Finnerty (Salthill Knocknacarra)
    Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)
    Adrian Varley (Cortoon Shamrocks)

Is Comer injured again or just not coming back til the league? Where's O'Laoi this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Question for followers of club hurling. Do any clubs from outside Galway compete in your leagues. I was discussing how to improve hurling in the weaker counties and brought up the idea of a provincial league for the weaker counties which only have a handful of clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Tooreen would be competitive in Senior B Hurling in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

sgthighway wrote: »
    Tooreen would be competitive in Senior B Hurling in Galway

It would be interesting to see how far they can go. I know clubs from the other Connacht counties have been competitive with Intermediate and Junior clubs from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Xoshinho

Is Comer injured again or just not coming back til the league? Where's O'Laoi this year.

Not sure about O'Laoi but Comer came on against Mayo at half forward, set-up the equaliser and scored a penalty in the shootout. He's available.

It would be interesting to see how far they can go.

They'd win a game or two max I'd say

Abbeyknockmoy and Ahascragh played the relegation final last year and both beat the Mayo champions recently in Connacht.

There's 20 proper senior standard teams in Galway - since they've increased it to 24 that is when Tooreen have started winning Connacht. I'd say Tooreen would fall into the 20-24 ranking bracket if they were in Galway senior

Absolute joke. There are 3 to 4 clubs in intermediate who if they ended up in kiltormers position they would have been relegated no questions asked. Why have a competition at all if you won't relegate the lowest ranked team. May as well just vote on the team they want to see relegated and not play the competition at all.

Its actually hilarious but sure would anything surprise you with the county board. What a farce!

I imagine the Abbeyknockmoy secretary will be busy this week!

Not sure that would be the case. This is the third year in a row that this has happened. Seems a bit unfair to focus solely on this year. I recall it was Kilbecanty that dodged the bullet last year. Who were the beneficiaries of the Board’s kindness the previous year?

Actually Kilbeacanty were due to play Spiddal in the final last year but it never happened due to Spiddal's involvement in the intermediate football All Ireland series

Actually Kilbeacanty were due to play Spiddal in the final last year but it never happened due to Spiddal's involvement in the intermediate football All Ireland series

Didn't they get a pass on that as the chairman is from the club. Spiddal were definitely better than Kilbeacanty last year.

• Advertisement

They'd win a game or two max I'd say

Abbeyknockmoy and Ahascragh played the relegation final last year and both beat the Mayo champions recently in Connacht.

There's 20 proper senior standard teams in Galway - since they've increased it to 24 that is when Tooreen have started winning Connacht. I'd say Tooreen would fall into the 20-24 ranking bracket if they were in Galway senior

You'd imagine that if the Mayo CB couldn't be bothered getting there arse in to gear hurling wise that the likes of Tooreen, Ballyhaunis and Four roads from Roscommon should at least take part in some tournament against North galway clubs.

Advertisement