Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

All the best to Spiddal and Oranmore today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any chance of that An Spidéal keeper getting a call from Kevin Walsh....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Any chance of that An Spidéal keeper getting a call from Kevin Walsh....

I didn't see his mistake today. However, he played in FBD match last week and was KW's first choice a few years ago. He made a big mistake in a Galway - Mayo match and I think he lost his place after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I didn't see his mistake today. However, he played in FBD match last week and was KW's first choice a few years ago. He made a big mistake in a Galway - Mayo match and I think he lost his place after that.

He came out with the ball, lost it around the middle of the field to the opposition's midfielder who kicked it straight into the net from approximately 50 metres out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

And in the second half, took a 45 short, got the return and took a shot that dropped short...

A complete liability based on this display and shocked to hear he is on the Senior panel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    And in the second half, took a 45 short, got the return and took a shot that dropped short...

A complete liability based on this display and shocked to hear he is on the Senior panel!

He wasn't on it last year. I guess he got called back in this year based on a good club campaign with Spiddal. He wont be first choice if he does stay on the panel anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He's a confidence player and that goal he was at fault for was a disaster. He missed a few handy frees in the second half too. Full credit to that lad that did score the goal because he was a fair aul distance out and it's a difficult shot.

Lavelle is not perfect by any means but he's first choice ahead of Power and Breathnach.

Oranmore/maree are through to the all-ireland intermediate hurling final.

Listened to it on Galway Bay FM - sounded like gearoid McInerney and Niall Burke played well.

RMAOK wrote: »
    Oranmore/maree are through to the all-ireland intermediate hurling final.

Listened to it on Galway Bay FM - sounded like gearoid McInerney and Niall Burke played well.

Ended up going to it. Tough conditions for hurling really

Galls hadn't much hurling in them and the score board flattered them greatly.

There was a bit of niggle in it too but I'd expect the final to be great free flowing hurling from start to finish.

Charleville and particularly fitzgibbon looked good from watching buff Egan's Snapchats yesterday but it'd be great if Oran Maree could get over the line.

I dunno what's the best way to handle fitzgibbon at 10 maybe one of the midfielders will go back on him as they'll need to reshuffle with Bannon suspended for final. Hanniffy did very well when he went corner back.

Taking G Mac out of centre back to mark fitzgibbon is probably robbing Peter to pay Paul. He's at his best operating down the middle

jr86 wrote: »
    Taking G Mac out of centre back to mark fitzgibbon is probably robbing Peter to pay Paul. He's at his best operating down the middle

I'm not sure would McInerney have the pace to stay with him tbh. Also if McInerney did go to midfield, you'd be loosing his covering abilities in front of the full back line. Better to put a livewire on him and tell him to man mark fitzgibbon. Forget about the ball, just remember wherever he goes, you go.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure would McInerney have the pace to stay with him tbh. Also if McInerney did go to midfield, you'd be loosing his covering abilities in front of the full back line. Better to put a livewire on him and tell him to man mark fitzgibbon. Forget about the ball, just remember wherever he goes, you go.

Yeah fully agree.

If they can limit his influence they'll go a long way to winning it

It's funny Niall burke barely won any clean puckouts and didn't seem to have the massive influence he usually does, yet still picked off 5 from play. He really is an outstanding club player

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

He came out with the ball, lost it around the middle of the field to the opposition's midfielder who kicked it straight into the net from approximately 50 metres out.

In the last few seconds of the county final, he went up the field won a free, and kicked the point himself.

An Spiddal wouldn't have won the county title only for him

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    In the last few seconds of the county final, he went up the field won a free, and kicked the point himself.

An Spiddal wouldn't have won the county title only for him

I'm not disputing that at all - I was just describing one of the goals that was scored on him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Lose to Cavan next Sunday and I would worry for Galway's future in Division 1. Really is a must win for Kevin Walsh's charges. Tough away fixtures. Tyrone, Monaghan, Dublin and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'm not disputing that at all - I was just describing one of the goals that was scored on him today.

If I was the manager I'd be apportioning a fair bit of blame to the full-back line - when you have a keeper who regularly ventures out of goal, it should be automatic that the last defender drops back and covers the goal to prevent this.

The defender doesn't have to drop all the way back, but one defender has to move centrally and be the player nearest the goal to cover the threat of a through ball.

If you watch the clip you can see that the player nearest the ball when it actually goes into the net is an Naomh Eanna player, which shows how poorly the full-back line dealt with the whole situation.

The goal-keeper bears a lot of responsibility for this goal but his defenders deserve a decent chunk of the blame as well.

Just saw there's no National League hurling weekend of 9th/10th february

Think I might hit Dublin for the Thomas's game the Saturday and the Oranmore game the Sunday.

Mad to think no Galway team has ever won the intermediate. Oranmore have some classy forwards, it could be a serious shootout between themselves and Charleville.

jr86 wrote: »
    Just saw there's no National League hurling weekend of 9th/10th february

Think I might hit Dublin for the Thomas's game the Saturday and the Oranmore game the Sunday.

Mad to think no Galway team has ever won the intermediate. Oranmore have some classy forwards, it could be a serious shootout between themselves and Charleville.

It's a bit strange alright that no Galway team has won that championship. Is that because, quiet frankly, there are too many teams in senior so the result of that is a weakened intermediate championship.

Imagine if senior A was senior and senior B was intermediate - there'd be plenty to f teams in that senior B who would be capable of winning the intermediate club title.

It's a bit strange alright that no Galway team has won that championship. Is that because, quiet frankly, there are too many teams in senior so the result of that is a weakened intermediate championship.

Imagine if senior A was senior and senior B was intermediate - there'd be plenty to f teams in that senior B who would be capable of winning the intermediate club title.

Definitely too many teams in senior!

Oranmore are definitely a deserving senior team and probably should have gone up long before now (with 2 county players and Sean McInerney also getting game time for the county in the past few seasons), but I fear the Intermediate Championship will be very sub standard this year.

Bearing in mind Oranmore hammered everyone in sight in the latter stages, with them now gone we're probably looking at a very mediocre winner, unless someone drastically improves.

If Oranmore don't win the AI this year, I can't see it being won for years again by a Galway side, given the 24 teams in senior, as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

Truth be know, senior a and b is a farce. So far no senior b team has gone past the q-f stage. Take turloughmore for instance, walked senior b and got beat by cappy in preliminary q-f as they hadn’t enough high intensity games behind them. senior b is a bit of a joke and serves no real purpose only that teams can say they are senior.

Totally agree with some of the last posts. 24 senior club teams in Galway is crazy. I know kilkenny is a smaller county but they have half that number with 12 senior teams. And thats in a county that only really plays hurling. No offence to the big ball fraternity in kk.
    Senior B in my opinion is glorified intermediate. To be fair to the football board they are trying to get their ducks in a row by reducing the number of senior football teams in the county. It's a pity the hurling board don't do the same because galway hurling i think would be all the better for it.

• Advertisement

fearruanua wrote: »
    Senior B in my opinion is glorified intermediate. To be fair to the football board they are trying to get their ducks in a row by reducing the number of senior football teams in the county. It's a pity the hurling board don't do the same because galway hurling i think would be all the better for it.

I doubt too many clubs who are senior at the moment would vote in favor of reducing the amount of teams in senior hurling - the name of being a senior club (regardless of actually being fit for senior hurling) can be more important than the overall benefit of Galway club hurling imo.

Maybe the hurling board has the power to do that without the consent of the clubs? I genuinely don't know tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robert2014

Any idea on a possible team for Sunday?

I doubt too many clubs who are senior at the moment would vote in favor of reducing the amount of teams in senior hurling - the name of being a senior club (regardless of actually being fit for senior hurling) can be more important than the overall benefit of Galway club hurling imo.

Maybe the hurling board has the power to do that without the consent of the clubs? I genuinely don't know tbh.

A lot of players are in favour of reducing the number of senior teams - mainly to reduce the championship schedule throughout the year

Like yourself, I don't see the clubs overall going for it though

It's 100% a status thing with a lot of clubs. As long as they stay senior they are happy. Agreed that clubs would be slow to change things but how did the football board get it through?? They would have been faced with the same problem but overcame it somehow by getting enough delegates on board. Or as you mentioned maybe they don't need the support of the clubs to change?? Not sure about that either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Any idea on a possible team for Sunday?

Could be anything really. Think a few lads have fitness tests. Kyne out anyway and Michael Daly didn't play for NUIG midweek so must be a major doubt as well. Should be announced after training tonight.

fearruanua wrote: »
    Totally agree with some of the last posts. 24 senior club teams in Galway is crazy. I know kilkenny is a smaller county but they have half that number with 12 senior teams. And thats in a county that only really plays hurling. No offence to the big ball fraternity in kk.

Way too many senior clubs. It's crazy really. The intermediate championship was poor enough last year. Oranmore were good but they won it at a canter. There wasn't one other decent side in the championship. That's not a healthy situation. The lower levels could do with a boost with some clubs going down.

Football had the exact same problem but have at least reduced to 18 with plans I think to go down to 16.

Way too many senior clubs. It's crazy really. The intermediate championship was poor enough last year. Oranmore were good but they won it at a canter. There wasn't one other decent side in the championship. That's not a healthy situation. The lower levels could do with a boost with some clubs going down.

Football had the exact same problem but have at least reduced to 18 with plans I think to go down to 16.

Yeah I think that's the plan but I think it'll take a year longer than planned to get to 16. I think croke park put a stop to the numbers being relegated in such a short space of time by rule apparently. Plan was to relegate another three teams in 2019 and have 16 teams for the 2020 championship. Not sure whats happening this year tbh.

The Galway team to play Cavan.

1. Ruairi Lavelle (Salthill Knocknacarra)
    2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdowngaa)
    3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Cumann Peile Naomh Anna)
    4. David Wynne (Cumann Peile Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    5. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    6. Gareth Bradshaw (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    7. Seán Kelly (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    8. Thomas Flynn (Stmarysgaa Athenry)
    9. Ciaran Duggan (Annaghdown)
    10. Fintan Cooney (St. James')
    11. Johnny Duane (St. James')
    12. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
    13. Danny Cummins (Claregalway)
    14. Eoin Finnerty (Mountbellew Moylough)
    15. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Gael85

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    None of them has even remotely affected a final in the way Joyce did in 01. Joyce treated Connacht as a playground for nearly a decade. Bernard Brogan would compare up to him, none of the others

Current Dublin to Galway 98-01 is difficult to compare as fitness levels have differed. Football styles have also changed. Meath didn't play with sweeper in 01. Joyce got 5 from play that day. Kilkenny got 3 points from play in last year final. Mannion got 3 from play in 2017 final. Joyce one of the all time greats scoring 12-228 in 66 championship games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

The Galway team to play Cavan.

1. Ruairi Lavelle (Salthill Knocknacarra)
    2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdowngaa)
    3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Cumann Peile Naomh Anna)
    4. David Wynne (Cumann Peile Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    5. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    6. Gareth Bradshaw (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    7. Seán Kelly (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
    8. Thomas Flynn (Stmarysgaa Athenry)
    9. Ciaran Duggan (Annaghdown)
    10. Fintan Cooney (St. James')
    11. Johnny Duane (St. James')
    12. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
    13. Danny Cummins (Claregalway)
    14. Eoin Finnerty (Mountbellew Moylough)
    15. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

One of the weakest Galway sides in a long time, serious amount of backs playing! 😕

Advertisement