Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

It's a tough one. I assume they want to be involved as the club scene has hindered their county chances recently. Its easy to forget that Ian Burke didn't start v Mayo last year because he wasn't around for any of the league. Gary Sice said in a recent interview that he would prefer te club final played in build up to xmas - make it a tradition that it is the final match of the year and create a buzz around a "Christmas" final by having it at start of December. There is a lot of logic to that.

Would be great to have it done on calendar year . But at the absolute most it should be wrapped up by end of January . Corofin played early December and no championship game then till second week of feb is farcical for them and all clubs. And then another month till club final . Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

spurshero wrote: »
    Would be great to have it done on calendar year . But at the absolute most it should be wrapped up by end of January . Corofin played early December and no championship game then till second week of feb is farcical for them and all clubs. And then another month till club final . Crazy

Agreed that they should try and get it played in the one calendar year but what will we do when we can't head to the pub after the parade on paddys day for a feed of pints and a feast of GAA?? ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cathalachs

Anyone hear how the footballers got on against tipp last Sunday,what kinda team???

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robert2014

It could be run off before the end of the year since there are only 2 semi-finals and a final left, it would only take another couple of weeks to do it. Maybe weather would be a factor too but some of the finals on St. Patrick's Day have been played in the worst weather.

Seems unfair to deny some of the best club players to play for their county when they miss so much training with the team and league action.

There was a statement made I think by one of the presenters on off The ball there that the 2001 galway team would be hammered out the gate by the current Dublin team . Very broad harsh statement I think . That Galway team were after winning there second all Ireland in 4 years And a savage pass to Joyce from winning a third . What do others think ? Would this Dublin team hammer them out the gate !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Who came out with that? With the same preparation not a hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There was a statement made I think by one of the presenters on off The ball there that the 2001 galway team would be hammered out the gate by the current Dublin team . Very broad harsh statement I think . That Galway team were after winning there second all Ireland in 4 years And a savage pass to Joyce from winning a third . What do others think ? Would this Dublin team hammer them out the gate !

I mean they might beat them but zero chance they would hammer them out the gate. Assuming that Galway side received modern training preparation which has moved on a fair bit from even 2001.

Who said it anyway? It’s like something Ger Gilroy or the other ginger yoke from Kerry would say but I’m pretty sure they only do the morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Dublin favorites no question but that was a great side, far better than the 98 side with no weak spots and a bench also. Dublins biggest strength is the half back line. Galways hb line that year was absolutely awesome. And in Joyce and Donnelan had two forwards (or midfielder) possibly better than any Dubs sub Connolly. Overall Dublins team is obviously better though with zero weaklinks, excellent strategy and a phenomenal bench.

Who made the comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Dublin favorites no question but that was a great side, far better than the 98 side with no weak spots and a bench also. Dublins biggest strength is the half back line. Galways hb line that year was absolutely awesome. And in Joyce and Donnelan had two forwards (or midfielder) possibly better than any Dubs sub Connolly. Overall Dublins team is obviously better though with zero weaklinks, excellent strategy and a phenomenal bench.

Who made the comment?

I don't think that's true to be honest, I think the likes of o'callaghan, mannion or kilkenny would be as skillful as those mentioned above, but with the added advantage of being fitter, faster and stronger with advances in strength and conditioning.

Not sure who made the comment just turned on car and there was some lad talking about how he watched a dvd back of 2001 chsmpionship and how the standard was bad and Dublin now would hammer that Galway team there seemed to be one or 2 others lads in studio who were like saying what and seemed to be suprised About this lads view so they Defo were not in total agreement anyway . The show then went to a break and that’s all I heard so not sure if there was anymore about it .

• Advertisement

I don't think that's true to be honest, I think the likes of o'callaghan, mannion or kilkenny would be as skillful as those mentioned above, but with the added advantage of being fitter, faster and stronger with advances in strength and conditioning.

We’re talkimg about if this Galway team was around nowadays . Personally I think they would give Dublin there fill of it . Like mayo have given Dublin plenty of it last five years and I don’t think you would get many Galway men to agree that there a better team then the Galway 2001 team. But maybe others would . It’s all opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Are you daft? Current Dublin team has no-one that would touch Joyce, Donnellan or even Ja Fallon; Donnellan in particular was one of the most talented, physically-complete players that ever played the game. Tomas Mannion and Sean De Paor as good as anything Dubs have currently. Kevin Walsh would get on that Dublin side. Gary Fahy and Declan Meehan too probably.

Dubs are a really good team but haven't met any side on their current run with forwards like Galway had then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

MfMan wrote: »
    Are you daft? Current Dublin team has no-one that would touch Joyce, Donnellan or even Ja Fallon; Donnellan in particular was one of the most talented, physically-complete players that ever played the game. Tomas Mannion and Sean De Paor as good as anything Dubs have currently. Kevin Walsh would get on that Dublin side. Gary Fahy and Declan Meehan too probably.

Dubs are a really good team but haven't met any side on their current run with forwards like Galway had then.

This Dublin team look good because other strong counties are currently weak. In 2001 Meath and kerry were going strong.

Both of the Sweeney's unavailable to the footballers in 2019 due to work commitments.

Patrick was only coming off the bench occasionally but Cathal was pretty much a fixture in the team although a great opportunity now for the likes of Molloy/McDaid.

Cathal will be missed a good honest hard worker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

This Dublin team look good because other strong counties are currently weak. In 2001 Meath and kerry were going strong.

As a whole football was a lot more competitive around 2001 with any of maybe 6-8 teams capable of reaching and winning an all Ireland final.its gone back a lot since with many teams having peaked at that time and since in the process of rebuilding or fading away.
    It was a different game then too with teams playing open fast football and the majority of play was kick passing compared to the way it's played now

None of them has even remotely affected a final in the way Joyce did in 01. Joyce treated Connacht as a playground for nearly a decade. Bernard Brogan would compare up to him, none of the others

A very good point in my opinion . This Dublin team are very good but they are playing in an era when a lot of other counties are weak enough .

So do you guys think John Daly will start cb sunday?

Are under 5,s free in on Sunday or do they need a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

So do you guys think John Daly will start cb sunday?

He starts at 6 according to GBFM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team v Mayo

Maghnus Breathnach
    Declan Kyne
    Sean Andy O’Ceallaigh
    Liam Silke
    Kieran Molloy
    John Daly
    Dylan Wall
    Ciaran Duggan
    Tom Flynn
    Cillian McDaid
    Michael Farragher
    Johnny Heaney
    Frankie Burke
    Michael Boyle
    Barry McHugh

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cathalachs

I hear that they are trying out Sean Kelly in the half back line in training, has been marking cillian mc daid, I thought the reverse would be the case.Two good lads with great engines hope there is room for both in the current team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Are under 5,s free in on Sunday or do they need a ticket

U16's are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Cathalachs wrote: »
    I hear that they are trying out Sean Kelly in the half back line in training, has been marking cillian mc daid, I thought the reverse would be the case.Two good lads with great engines hope there is room for both in the current team.

Did Sean Kelly not play half back all last year? Agree about McDaid though, think he is a natural wing back more so than a forward.

cocoman wrote: »
    U16's are free.

Thanks for that.found it hard to get ticket prices online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Heard the off the ball comments, think it was Johnny Ward that made them. A Galway man.

I think the comments have been picked up wrong here. He wasn't saying that if you took that Galway team and prepared them exactly like Dublin now that dublin would hammer them. He was making the point on a more general level that football has moved on so much in the 17 years since and reached a higher overall standard (though possibly not a better spectacle) that the best team right now taken exactly as they are would hammer the best team back then taken exactly as they were because football as a whole has moved on. At least that's how I took it up.

If you went 18 years back from 01 you'd land on the great Kerry teams of the early 80s. I'm sure the Galway 01 team would easily beat them if the same comparison was made but overall the Kerry team were stronger relative to their actual era.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Has Michael Donohue brought in the u-21 goalkeeper from last year into the panel? - believe his name was Murphy from Tommy Larkin's. I think he has the makings of a very good keeper.

Mayo fans jeering free takers in a pre season glorified challenge game. The 3 years of continious defeats to Galway at every single grade imaginable has had it's effect clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

RMAOK wrote: »
    Has Michael Donohue brought in the u-21 goalkeeper from last year into the panel? - believe his name was Murphy from Tommy Larkin's. I think he has the makings of a very good keeper.

Did he play junior for Tommy Larkins last year? If its the same guy he was amazing in last years junior final against Sylane. Pulled off 4 incredible saves. Couldn't understand how he was playing junior and that they had better than him in the club.

• Advertisement

Barry McHugh had a great game

Advertisement