Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Fcuking sticky fingered fcukers I hope a criminal investigation finds and charges the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'll just share a more positive summary of last nights events from someone who is a bit more optimistic than me.

"Look I know the headlines are awful but last night will end up having been a very positive night for Galway in the long run.

1. If the plates had kept spinning a little longer then this whole affair could have been swept under the rug and the same [ban worthy phrase] gits could stay milking Galway for years.

2. Theres lot of money in Galway GAA now. The basic figures are really solid. Debt is at a manageable level and once the proper procedures for managing gate receipts are put in place then I'd expect that number to rise next year.

3. Airing this publicly is great. It'll force the adoption of higher standards which will make it easier to get the likes of Medtronic, Boston, etc. to come on board as a partner/sponsor. Theres been whispers around the carry on of [name redacted] for years so they were naturally wary of getting caught up when things went sideways.

4. They could have probably kept Mountain South based on these accounts but I guess if they want to get to the Airport Goldmine* then they need to get any debt cleared as quickly as possible.

5. They seem to have good people in the right positions now. Would have been way easier for the likes of Burke to leave this unchecked. "

I hope they are right.
    *Airport Goldmine is this persons idea that the GAA are looking to ditch Pearse Stadium and move to a stadium built on the airport site. Calls it a goldmine as the airport site would supposedly make it a lot easier to host concerts and the like. Presumably while making a respectable return. Its a well thought out argument but I cant see it ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

I think we can be just glad that Burke won the vote to become treasurer or I’m not sure we would have been any of the wiser by now
    . I gaurantee not one person will face charges even though it’s fairly common knowledge who was up to no good . Noel Tracey had some neck to blame the last 6 months for all the negativity . Anyway onwards and upwards hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Does anyone know how relegation will work in Senior Football Championship next year? Will they get away with sending 3 teams down again? If they do it could get very interesting indeed. Wouldn't surprise me at all if a shock relegation happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Two down and two up next season.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it's not 3 down? 2 down 1 up would leave the championship with an odd number of teams.

Back to the scandal, Eoghan Cormican of the Examiner is continuing to do the best job of reporting on the story in a national paper.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/galway-gaa-credit-card-was-used-to-pay-for-personal-expenses-892962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Sorry - i meant two down and two up! Half asleep posting earlier! How the two up happens is still to be sorted, there was some talk of a play off between the Intermediate final losers and a "3rd from Bottom senior team"

https://connachttribune.ie/number-senior-clubs-cut-new-galway-group-format/

"From 2019 on, the number of senior clubs will remain at 18, with a ‘two-up, two-down’ promotion/relegation arrangement in place."

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

conamara wrote: »
    Sorry - i meant two down and two up! Half asleep posting earlier! How the two up happens is still to be sorted, there was some talk of a play off between the Intermediate final losers and a "3rd from Bottom senior team"

https://connachttribune.ie/number-senior-clubs-cut-new-galway-group-format/

"From 2019 on, the number of senior clubs will remain at 18, with a ‘two-up, two-down’ promotion/relegation arrangement in place."

I was under the impression that they wanted 16 teams. 4 groups of 4 by the 2020 championship???? maybe i was wrong.
    So with the two up arrangement you are promoted by just getting to an intermediate county final?? Would that not take away from the county final??

Yeah that doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

18 teams in the championship for the future would mean lopsided groups every year

I was sure it was aimed at getting it down to 16 aswell

And yes it'll definitely take from the intermediate final. 2 up and 2 down, why not 1 up and 1 down :confused: ? I definitely think something is being lost in translation here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Can anyone from any Galway posters on this forum tell me who is Galway Bay FM's sport Darren Kelly? He is to take over as Clare FM's head of sport from January 2019, taking over from Derrick Lynch who has moved to the Clare Champion. Looking forward to see what he will bring to Clare FM as a Clare Gaa fan myself. Any info on him and his style of commentary will be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Darren Kelly is a brilliant Sport Commentator. Id rate him second to Sean Walsh in Galway Bay FM. Your gain is our loss. Wish he would bring Ollie Turner with him.

sgthighway wrote: »
    Darren Kelly is a brilliant Sport Commentator. Id rate him second to Sean Walsh in Galway Bay FM. Your gain is our loss. Wish he would bring Ollie Turner with him.
    If Kelly was going to someplace in Roscommon I'd agree with you but the people of Clare have done nothing to deserve that flute Turner being inflicted upon them.

The discussion on Galway Bay about Joe O'Toole giving money to Tuam Stadium summed how much of a teapot he can be. Carney was (rightly) trying to keep the focus on the generosity of the contribution and the great work the DAFTS committee have done so far while Turner was like a seven year old who had just downed a 4-pack of Red Bull rabbiting on about floodlights and naming rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Surely any stand in Tuam would be named after Sean Purcell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

crusier wrote: »

Doesn't matter what its called they'll still make a boll0x of it. They just can't get their head around the fact that they're better off getting as many league and club games as possible rather than a championship match once in a blue moon. So rather than developing a nice 7-10,000 arena with good facilities they'll piss the funds away trying to get a barely passable stadium that will hold 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

crusier wrote: »

Purcell already has a road beside the pitch named after him. I'd aim for a more recent legend if they were going to name it after somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

If they do make a mess of it so what it's not your money. The progress made with this was got through hard work and should be applauded. If you're complaining about making a mess of things let's focus on the mess of the training grounds in Athenry sold for a fraction of the original cost or all the underhand dealings / bad practice at County board level that has come to light recently. All the money we as supporters have spent on tickets to club and county games and we have been let down by the men at the top table.

We have seen no progress with the ground in Athenry in an awful long time. A bad day in Athenry and there is no shelter for anyone bat a couple of hundred in a shed that's there since forever. Ballinasloe is in a state of total disrepair in terms of holding any kind of crowd.

A dual county the size of Galway with the volume of club and county games we play should have a respectable 2nd venue.

No one in their right mind thinks Tuam is ever going to host a Connacht senior final again especially in this age of health and safety limiting capacities. However there's no reason Tuam can't host most league games, an odd qualifier and also county finals barring the unlikely event of two West Board teams being in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Any updates on the hurling squad i.e whose in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Both of the Sweeney's unavailable to the footballers in 2019 due to work commitments.

Patrick was only coming off the bench occasionally but Cathal was pretty much a fixture in the team although a great opportunity now for the likes of Molloy/McDaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Should be a bit of craic in Tuam next Sunday with mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Should be a bit of craic in Tuam next Sunday with mayo

They are makin excuses already over in the Mayo thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I'm looking forward to it.playing the neighbors in the heart and home of Galway football.
    Salthill to kick the wall but Tuam for Galway football.and fcuk all traffic

Some of the players who impressed me for their clubs in the last few months that I would like to see given a chance are:

Dylan Wall, Jason Leonard, Martin Farragher (Corofin)

Paul Donnellan, John Daly (Mountbellew)

Jack Kirrane (Milltown)

William Finnerty, Gearoid Armstrong, John Maher (Salthill)

Thomas Gleeson (Dunmore)

Stephen Lawless (Caherlistrane)

I have no idea what these guys are like commitment wise etc. But they played very well for their clubs in the matches I saw last year.

I'd like to see if Michael Boyle from Killererin can make the step up to county level. He didn't get much notice last year as their championship run didn't attract a lot of headlines but he looked good from what little I saw of him.

Are the new dressing rooms in Tuam going to be in use this weekend? Just wondering how work is progressing.

grbear wrote: »
    I'd like to see if Michael Boyle from Killererin can make the step up to county level. He didn't get much notice last year as their championship run didn't attract a lot of headlines but he looked good from what little I saw of him.

Are the new dressing rooms in Tuam going to be in use this weekend? Just wondering how work is progressing.

Is that the guy who played for NY last year? He was a serious under age player but never got going with seniors

I don't think he did but I'm not 100% certain.

Missing the Corofin contingent for (hopefully for them) practically all the league is a bit of a bugger.

Is that the guy who played for NY last year? He was a serious under age player but never got going with seniors

No, there's actually two Micheal Boyles from Killererin funnily enough

One played under 21 with county in 2011 and that's the one in New York. The other was on Galway under 21 panel in 2017 and is the one currently in with county

Some of the players who impressed me for their clubs in the last few months that I would like to see given a chance are:

Dylan Wall, Jason Leonard, Martin Farragher (Corofin)

Paul Donnellan, John Daly (Mountbellew)

Jack Kirrane (Milltown)

William Finnerty, Gearoid Armstrong, John Maher (Salthill)

Thomas Gleeson (Dunmore)

Stephen Lawless (Caherlistrane)

I have no idea what these guys are like commitment wise etc. But they played very well for their clubs in the matches I saw last year.

The bolded all got a run in a recent challenge game

jr86 wrote: »
    The bolded all got a run in a recent challenge game

Interesting to see the Corofin guys involved.

Interesting to see the Corofin guys involved.

Yeah, I know Mayo have done it in previous years when Castlebar were involved in the AI series, they played a few C'bar lads in the FBD

Personally I don't fully agree with it, I think lads have enough training to be doing with their clubs, but I suppose Corofin have been here a few times before, and can probably get away with releasing the lads an evening or 2 a week if needs be on a short term basis

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know Mayo have done it in previous years when Castlebar were involved in the AI series, they played a few C'bar lads in the FBD

Personally I don't fully agree with it, I think lads have enough training to be doing with their clubs, but I suppose Corofin have been here a few times before, and can probably get away with releasing the lads an evening or 2 a week if needs be on a short term basis

It's a tough one. I assume they want to be involved as the club scene has hindered their county chances recently. Its easy to forget that Ian Burke didn't start v Mayo last year because he wasn't around for any of the league. Gary Sice said in a recent interview that he would prefer te club final played in build up to xmas - make it a tradition that it is the final match of the year and create a buzz around a "Christmas" final by having it at start of December. There is a lot of logic to that.

Advertisement