Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Huge crowd in tuam today but must say the mayo fans booing and shouting abuse was a bit much for a fbd game.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

A sideline from Joe canning wins it for Galway against dublin: Galway 0-21 Dublin 1-17.

Good to see a number of new faces out today - they should be used again next weekend, and probably for parts of the league on account of the Thomas's and oranmore lads being club tied

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Huge crowd in tuam today but must say the mayo fans booing and shouting abuse was a bit much for a fbd game.:confused:

Unfortunately that has become the norm for Mayo fans in the last 10 years of so.

I've even seen some of their own supporters mention it on here over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

megadodge wrote: »
    Unfortunately that has become the norm for Mayo fans in the last 10 years of so.

I've even seen some of their own supporters mention it on here over the years.

A mayo man told me leaving the stadium Mayo threw it so they haven't too many games played by September. The abuse the Mayo crowd beside me gave the linesman was unbelievable aswell

A mayo man told me leaving the stadium Mayo threw it so they haven't too many games played by September. The abuse the Mayo crowd beside me gave the linesman was unbelievable aswell

Would not be surprised if they become physical with opposing fans in the near future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Only a fool would read too much into this competition but a game like that (with Rossies to come next week too) will hopefully benefit the panel for the League and beyond.

That said Breathnach, McHugh and John Daly really impressed me. The goal was a shocker to concede but they all copped on big time after that. Breathnach in particular is really benefiting from his excellent club form. He kicked one pass in that first half that was as good as any I've seen in a long time. Excellent for the shootout too.

Liam Silke was back in the wars too which was great to see.

Cooke had an absolute ****er. As bad a showing as I've seen but he's a class player and hopefully it's out of his system.

Was out near the end of the terrace surrounded by Mayos but the ones around me seemed sound enough. Only a little bit of whinging about the umpire for that absolutely brilliant McHugh penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Mayo fans jeering free takers in a pre season glorified challenge game. The 3 years of continious defeats to Galway at every single grade imaginable has had it's effect clearly

In fairness, I think some of the booing came because McHugh was so long lining up the free; which he normally does, and I hope doesn't get pinged from referees sometimes for doing so.

A stolen win; Mayo better team by and large, though didn't score much into the town goal against the wind in the second half. Strangely enough, the starting backs could be near enough the first 6 come league/c'ship. Midfield very iffy throughout; Flynn mixes the good with the poor constantly. Cooke always has a bad pass or two in him. Forwards very middling, but improved with the introduction of Ml Daly and Sean Kelly. McHugh good, though I still don't know if he's quite at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

MfMan wrote: »
    In fairness, I think some of the booing came because McHugh was so long lining up the free; which he normally does, and I hope doesn't get pinged from referees sometimes for doing so.

A stolen win; Mayo better team by and large, though didn't score much into the town goal against the wind in the second half. Strangely enough, the starting backs could be near enough the first 6 come league/c'ship. Midfield very iffy throughout; Flynn mixes the good with the poor constantly. Cooke always has a bad pass or two in him. Forwards very middling, but improved with the introduction of Ml Daly and Sean Kelly. McHugh good, though I still don't know if he's quite at the top level.

One hundred percent correct.

There was seven thousand odd folk at the match and there was a great atmosphere and much cross border banter.

Most people went home very happy after brushing off the cobwebs of a winter free of football.

But the alternative reality is a much tastier variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Was attendance announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Was attendance announced?

Radio reckoned 6 to 7000. Galway gaa have confirmed 234!

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    Radio reckoned 6 to 7000. Galway gaa have confirmed 234!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Final on Sunday in Tuam, 1.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Busy weekend for Hurlers and Footballers along with Oranmore/Maree and An Spideal playing Club Semi Finals. Save travels to all supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Final on Sunday in Tuam, 1.30.

Funny how Tuam wasn't good enough for last year's county final yet there have been numerous finals played there since including Connacht Finals and even a County Hurling Final. To quote the chairman himself:

'The facilities in Pearse Stadium are superior to those in Tuam at the present time and for the county final we need to have the best facilities available for the players and spectators alike. The dressing rooms in Tuam are not up to standard.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

sgthighway wrote: »
    Busy weekend for Hurlers and Footballers along with Oranmore/Maree and An Spideal playing Club Semi Finals. Save travels to all supporters.

Think I'll head up to the Oranmore game - make a weekend of it in Dublin. Be nice if a lot of Dublin based Galway hurling fans turned out to support them. What else would ya do on a January sunday afternoon :)

Looks like St. Galls struggled through a few Antrim and Ulster games but maybe that'll stand to them more than dishing out a few hammerings.

I think Tooreen kept Oranmore very honest so they should be well battle hardened too. Only problem is that daft 2 month layoff for both sides.

If Burke and McInerney get going up front its very hard to see Galls staying with them.

I see Spiddal are underdogs but they were in their last few matches too. Again I'd hope the break hasn't killed the great momentum they had built up

I read it on another forum, but it seems like Joseph Cooney, colm callanan, Johnathan Glynn and John hanbury will all be back in the Galway panel over the next few weeks. There was question marks over some of them, but that's a big boost to Galway imo for the coming year.

RMAOK wrote: »
    I read it on another forum, but it seems like Joseph Cooney, colm callanan, Johnathan Glynn and John hanbury will all be back in the Galway panel over the next few weeks. There was question marks over some of them, but that's a big boost to Galway imo for the coming year.

Whatever about the rest it wouldn't have made any sense if Colm Callahan hadn't been back based only on the fact that he missed the entire but travelled to Australia.
    That signalled intent for 2019 whereas for the rest you could say it was part of the same season it was different for him.

Whatever about the rest it wouldn't have made any sense if Colm Callahan hadn't been back based only on the fact that he missed the entire but travelled to Australia.
    That signalled intent for 2019 whereas for the rest you could say it was part of the same season it was different for him.

Beg to differ; Oz trip was reward for winning the AI in 2017, nothing more. Had to honour the players who were in that squad. Would be great to see him back at any rate.

Interesting team picked for Walsh Cup final; be really eager to see how Jarlath Mannion goes, can he carry through his cracking club form?

I'm surprised that Harte and the mannion brothers are out tbh - thought none of the starting 15 would be used for the Walsh cup. Same goes for canning tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Very close to the Galway team that will start the first rounds NFL games v Cavan and Dublin.

DxOd9GhWsAEbC8C.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Is there anything out of the FBD now? There was a holiday a free years back of I'm not mistaken?

Very close to the Galway team that will start the first rounds NFL games v Cavan and Dublin.

Bradshaw, GOD? Hmmm.. Ml Farragher won't be there. Much more needed from Kyne, Heaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Definitely a strange team for FBD. Very few new faces in there and that half back line does not inspire much confidence.

How is Farragher starting after his display last week? :confused::confused::(

Halftime score in the Walsh cup final: Galway 1-08 Wexford 0-09

Three players sent off for straight red cards (2 Galway players) - padraig mannion and jarlath mannion for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

How is Farragher starting after his display last week? :confused::confused::(

Bit harsh! Didn't have his best game but gave some great passes and showed well in the second half including one great shoulder on Andy Moran. Deserves another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

1-22 to 19
    4 players now have seen red.
    2 for each side

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

1-23 to 20 FT
    Win for Galway...

megapixel wrote: »
    1-23 to 20 FT
    Win for Galway...

Played all of the second half of the game with only 13 against 14 (until the last few minutes) with a fairly experimental team. Good work ethic shown throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Bit harsh! Didn't have his best game but gave some great passes and showed well in the second half including one great shoulder on Andy Moran. Deserves another shot.

Complete agree. A lad shouldn't get the trapdoor because of a bad performance, if nothing else it heaps needless pressure on players.

Advertisement