Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

We're without 3 of our 4 best players, theyve a pick of 1.5mil at home and unable to throw out a respectable team at the other GAA sport. Pack up, don't dwell and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I can't believe the game plan is the same as last year, that being that there's no plan. Big numbers defending but not man marking so nobody getting a hand in, kick outs are a lottery, backs named as forwards. Maybe like the rugby today a ****ing hiding might keep Kevin Walsh awake tonight thinking about things.
    But I hoped they'd have gone a bit more man to man this year, but there's been no obvious coaching of the tackle done over the winter. No support play in the forwards either. Anyone using the injuries as an explanation is just burying their head in the sand. There's no plan, it's all individuals.
    And as for breathnach, I'd excuse the countless jollies up the field if he'd do the basics right like dealing with a high ball into the square with nobody around. I can't remember many forward passes from him when he did go upfield, mostly just a sideways hand pass. He's an accident waiting to happen.
    All in all Galway are going nowhere at the moment but the manpower is there to be better. Pity the brains arent on the sideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't think we could've given these a good rattle tonight without the quality we have this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Huge gap, hard to see it closing for 3 to 4 years at best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

crusier wrote: »
    Huge gap, hard to see it closing for 3 to 4 years at best

It shouldn't be so huge, our overall cohort of players isn't that bad. I thought KW had a really great opportunity at half-time to have a right go at the game in the second half. He had nothing to lose. Instead his team played like they had everything to lose, and were abject. Just very poorly coached and tactically clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Got what we deserved. A lot of issues. Missing players doesn't mask them. Positives: Sean Kelly throughout. Peter Cooke first half. Duggan while not great a massive improvement on the previous two games. The idea of letting Tom Flynn drift into the full forward line to win offensive marks at least showed a bit of fresh thinking. Negatives too many to mention. Pints in Dublin are bitter. Hopefully the drive to Carlow will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Very poor last night. Dublin are a fantastic team of athletes. BUT they can all play ball. There was too many Galway players in the middle third who not alone didnt look comfortable on the ball but because of the task in hand against the best in the business didnt want the ball. Duggan cannot kickpass. Darcy looked lost at times but worked hard. Duane doesn't look up to give a quick ball. Bradshaw puts the head down and runs into trouble. Playing Tom inside was a shocking call when we were getting screwed in the middle. I dont know. Trying daft things in the "home" of the champions didnt make sense to me. McDaid going off didn't help as he was making things happen. Only bright spark in a poor evenings work.

Jaysus that was some shock. Young lads like Kilduff, Blehane and Fitzpatrick were very good and young Morrissey looks to be a good prospect.

Jayo Flynn is like a completely different man since 2015. Doesn't look like he has confidence in himself at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    We're without 3 of our 4 best players, theyve a pick of 1.5mil at home and unable to throw out a respectable team at the other GAA sport. Pack up, don't dwell and move on

Not everyone can get a draw in Carlow.

Kerry, Meath, Kildare maybe.... so well done :)

Bonniedog wrote:
    Not everyone can get a draw in Carlow.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Kerry, Meath, Kildare maybe.... so well done

We'll see how the Dublin millionaires do against our B team in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

We'll see how the Dublin millionaires do against our B team in a few weeks.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Jaysus that was some shock. Young lads like Kilduff, Blehane and Fitzpatrick were very good and young Morrissey looks to be a good prospect.

Some shock alright, but in the longer run it mightn't be the worst thing in the world - it'll be a steep learning curve for the young lads and might be a kick up the backside to some of the seasoned campaigners that were out there. The year this year is nearly a write off on accounts of the restructuring of the league for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Got what we deserved. A lot of issues. Missing players doesn't mask them. Positives: Sean Kelly throughout. Peter Cooke first half. Duggan while not great a massive improvement on the previous two games. The idea of letting Tom Flynn drift into the full forward line to win offensive marks at least showed a bit of fresh thinking. Negatives too many to mention. Pints in Dublin are bitter. Hopefully the drive to Carlow will be worth it.

Cooke just ran out of gas. 3rd game in 6 days and he's out for NUIG again on Wednesday. He's on a crazy schedule. Him and McDaid were probably our best players until HT.

We did OK in the first half especially the first 20 minutes. Cunningham should probably have buried his goal chance. We had another goal chance where the last pass just didn't go to hand. Very disappointing fade out again after half time similar to last year's AI semi-final. Must be the quietest Shane Walsh has even been for Galway. I actually forgot he was on the pitch for a while. Terrible goal to concede. A big goalkeeper and a defender back there and the Dublin forward wins the high ball.

On the plus side we do have a lot of good players to come back but we seem to be a very reactive side rather then being proactive and that is down to management.

The Tom Flynn at 14 thing didn't work at all. You actually have to kick decent ball in to a big man to make any use of him inside. We didn't so it would have been better to just leave him in midfield.

The Tom Flynn at 14 thing didn't work at all. You actually have to kick decent ball in to a big man to make any use of him inside. We didn't so it would have been better to just leave him in midfield.

Was wondering why they didn't try this with Cooke instead of Flynn. He's a more natural scorer. Especially when as you say with his current game schedule.

Relegation is going to be a dogfight after today's results. Monaghan will be hurting after todays loss. Next weekend won't be easy. Roscommon have points on the board now too.

Was wondering why they didn't try this with Cooke instead of Flynn. He's a more natural scorer. Especially when as you say with his current game schedule.

Relegation is going to be a dogfight after today's results. Monaghan will be hurting after todays loss. Next weekend won't be easy. Roscommon have points on the board now too.

Yeah I would prefer Cavan and Roscommon to keep losing so Roscommon winning today was not good. Looks like Tyrone will get dragged into the relegation battle as well.

Bit unlucky to face Dublin away after they lost and now we'll have Monaghan away after they lost. Not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Lads yer game against ourselves (Ros) on 16th March is down for Pearse Stadium.

What's the likelihood of it being moved to Tuam I wonder.

I don't want the move as I'm in the city on the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

BullBauld wrote: »
    Lads yer game against ourselves (Ros) on 16th March is down for Pearse Stadium.

What's the likelihood of it being moved to Tuam I wonder.

I don't want the move as I'm in the city on the 16th.

Next to Zero chance of this being moved

Tuam is getting the Kerry match so very little chance of the Roscommon match being moved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Taken from Tribesman GAA.

Galway senior footballers injury list/club commitment list keeps growing.

The following players are not available for selection due to injury, All Ireland Club Championship commitments or have left the panel:

Eamon Brannigan
    Damien Comer
    John Daly
    Paul Conroy
    Adrian Varley
    Bernard Power
    Ian Burke
    Liam Silke
    Dylan Wall
    Michael Farragher
    Kieran Malloy
    Jason Leonard
    Cathal Sweeney
    Patrick Sweeney

And the word from the camp is likely its to be more after today’s game with Michael Daly, McDaid, Declan Kyne and Johnny Heaney coming off injured.
    18 players in total.

Any idea which of the above have left the panel and why?

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Taken from Tribesman GAA.

Galway senior footballers injury list/club commitment list keeps growing.

The following players are not available for selection due to injury, All Ireland Club Championship commitments or have left the panel:

Eamon Brannigan
    Damien Comer
    John Daly
    Paul Conroy
    Adrian Varley
    Bernard Power
    Ian Burke
    Liam Silke
    Dylan Wall
    Michael Farragher
    Kieran Malloy
    Jason Leonard
    Cathal Sweeney
    Patrick Sweeney

And the word from the camp is likely its to be more after today’s game with Michael Daly, McDaid, Declan Kyne and Johnny Heaney coming off injured.
    18 players in total.

Any idea which of the above have left the panel and why?

Brannigan (scarcely good enough IMHO), Conroy (best days behind him IMHO), Comer, Dalys x 2, McDaid (out for a couple of months, foot injury), Varley, Kyne, all injured. I presume Eoin Finnerty and Heaney are also currently injured? Corofin contingent obviously club-tied for moment. 2 Sweeneys withdrew from panel (though I heard a rumour they were back?)

Unavailability, lack of numbers isn't KW's greatest problem; it's that most of the players he has are all much of an ordinary muchness. Monaghan are rightfully strong favourites for Sunday's match.

• Advertisement

McDaid and Kyne ruled out of the remainder of the league with injury. Really limited choices available to Walsh now. I criticise him as much as anyone but he’s been dealt a tough hand so far this year.

Taken again from Tribesman GAA.

Galway senior football team Injury list update!
    Yet another name to the list!

Sean Andy O Ceallaigh will be out for a few weeks due to an injury he picked up v Dublin.

Declan Kyne and Cillian McDaid will both be out for the remainder of the national football league.
    We’d like to wish them and the rest of the lads; Brannigan, Comer, the Daly’s, Conroy & Varley a speedy recovery.

Sorry if I'm reading that wrong MfMan, but can I ask are all or the above injured?

With the way TGAA worded it 'have left the panel' I thought it looked like either some names have walked from the panel by choice or have been dropped and not deemes good enough

Can you clarify that for me please?

Apppreicate it, thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Sorry if I'm reading that wrong MfMan, but can I ask are all or the above injured?

With the way TGAA worded it 'have left the panel' I thought it looked like either some names have walked from the panel by choice or have been dropped and not deemes good enough

The two Sweeneys withdrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

McDaid and Kyne ruled out of the remainder of the league with injury. Really limited choices available to Walsh now. I criticise him as much as anyone but he’s been dealt a tough hand so far this year.

Well and truly a battle for survival now. Getting 4 more points won't be an easy task. the positive is that the one 'write off' game v Dublin is out of the way

Incredibly bad luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's gone beyond a joke at this stage. We're already at a massive disadvantage most years by Corofin making the latter stages of the club. That's 12 borderline intercounty players alone ruled out who could be valuable for a league. Just horrible luck having that many injuries besides. Contrary to what the endless negative souls in the county say, it's a testament to the strength in depth of football in the county that we've already beaten a D1 team and are long odds on to stay up.

Feel sorry for NUIG also. Injury to Michael Daly and Molloy situation probably cost them a Sigerson last year. Once again have a very talented squad decimated this year through circumstances beyond their control.

DVD, yes to the best of my knowledge, all injured or unavailable instead of leaving the panel, bar the 2 Sweeneys who withdrew.

Is the talented Dessie Conneely on the panel I wonder? Ditto Sean Mulkerrin? Very good minors, unsure if they're U-20 eligible this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Is Fiontán Ó Curraoin involved this year?

That is some injury list. We really will be doing well to stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

macslash wrote: »
    Is Fiontán Ó Curraoin involved this year?

That is some injury list. We really will be doing well to stay up.

nearly positive i saw him togged in croke park last weekend.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    DVD, yes to the best of my knowledge, all injured or unavailable instead of leaving the panel, bar the 2 Sweeneys who withdrew.

Is the talented Dessie Conneely on the panel I wonder? Ditto Sean Mulkerrin? Very good minors, unsure if they're U-20 eligible this year...

Mulkerrin has one more year of U-20 this year. I imagine they will probably leave him with the U-20's as you can't do both. Not sure about Conneely.

Advertisement