Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

i spent 700 on a set of wheels (only - no tyres etc), never felt so guilty but hell did they transform the ride, zooming along. Not saying it is worth it but effortless cycling was achieved, the bike itself cost 6x that though, more or less all components changed to Carbon now. I can't lock it anywhere though - that sucks!

Indeed, the addition of wheels to a bicycle would be a significant improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    €10 just for home made lunch? I could survive on €20/week for all meals.

Can you send me on the details as I would love to be able to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's all relevant. I can see why people buy new cars, expensive wine, good food etc...

But one thing gets me (and I've been 100% guilty of it)...

Pure-bred or thorough-bred pet dogs. An overpriced, inbred, problematic, unhealthy, albeit fantastic looking dog... with paper work to prove that it's from a shallow genetic gene pool that costs (sometimes) thousands of Euro!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Indeed, the addition of wheels to a bicycle would be a significant improvement.
    Do have my eye on this

£510 off - very tempting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Irish people spend;

The cost of a Focus to buy a Fiesta
    The cost of a BMW 3 to buy a Mondeo
    The cost of a BMW 5 to buy a BMW 3

All they care about is avoiding maintenance and cheap motor tax where the costs are specifically set to deliberately make the life cycle of cars as short as possible which makes cars depreciate like fresh vegetables.

The roads in Ireland make me wonder if Irish people are soft in the head...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tap water is generally fine in Ireland, 'the best', terms used to just flog you something

It really isn't.

Tap water in Ireland is just about fine if you boil it (in some areas), but drink straight from the tap? no thanks.

Where are you all living that tap water isn't ok to drink???
    I have been drinking it for 30 years and I turned out ok. My extra toes just help with my balance...

Seriously couldn't imagine paying for bottled water. Madness!

On an individual basis people can make stupid spending choices, or just be extravagant. It would not harm their lives to be more sensible. But the overall economy would suffer.

If every driver bought the most basic car for their needs, and kept it for 15 years, that area of the economy would suffer. If they only used it for necessary journeys, fuel sales would fall. Food producers and retailers would have to downsize, if the average household did not throw away €700 worth of food every year. There are many more examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

On an individual basis people can make stupid spending choices, or just be extravagant. It would not harm their lives to be more sensible. But the overall economy would suffer.

If every driver bought the most basic car for their needs, and kept it for 15 years, that area of the economy would suffer. If they only used it for necessary journeys, fuel sales would fall. Food producers and retailers would have to downsize, if the average household did not throw away €700 worth of food every year. There are many more examples.
    We'd all be happier and healthier if we didn't buy sh*te we don't need.

Nobody needs to leave Ireland for their holidays. Nobody needs to come to Ireland on their holidays. The environment would be better off. But a lot of people would be out of a job.

Where are you all living that tap water isn't ok to drink???
    I have been drinking it for 30 years and I turned out ok. My extra toes just help with my balance...

Seriously couldn't imagine paying for bottled water. Madness!

It’s ok as in safe but I just don’t like the taste. Bottled water is so much nicer to drink especially sparking. It’s not even expensive about 2.50 or so buys me 6x1.5L bottles in Aldi which lasts me about a week. There is a massive difference in the taste of water even between different types of bottled water.

No we wouldn’t and millions would be out of a job worldwide.

• Advertisement

Put a glass of tap water in the fridge overnight. Compare the taste with that straight from the tap. My palate notices a difference, the cold water is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's all relevant. I can see why people buy new cars, expensive wine, good food etc...

But one thing gets me (and I've been 100% guilty of it)...

Pure-bred or thorough-bred pet dogs. An overpriced, inbred, problematic, unhealthy, albeit fantastic looking dog... with paper work to prove that it's from a shallow genetic gene pool that costs (sometimes) thousands of Euro!!

Kinda agree with it, yes. I mean some dogs are bred for certain jobs but the overwhelming majority is just a pleasure pet.
    My sister was in an abusive relationship and when she got out of it she bought herself a pure bred dog, but it was already two years old. She'd be still in the breeding kennel and had a litter two years later. I had money saved and wanted to travel, I ended up buying one of the dogs in my weak moment. Paid crazy money for it and I'd never do it again.
    Now the thing is she's not the smartest (smart breed), she's lazy (high-energy breed) but she's an absolute delight to have around, she guards, has a mean bark, is patient, steals food sometimes.
    But I would have gotten all of that with a rescue too. Once you're willing to work with a dog and don't let it spend its whole life in a small kennel they're quite capable to learn. Given it doesn't have a severe trauma.

Pure bred dogs as pets are totally overrated. I went above and beyond for mine and paid steep money for taking her with me when I moved her, it was all worth it but then again pet love is super irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

I paid €800 for a dog. He is a trained border collie that saves me at least 4 hours a week on labour every week. He will work for 8-10 years though sk less than 50 cents for every hours work. He is also great company, asleep here on the hearth stone at the moment.

Grueller wrote: »
    I paid €800 for a dog. He is a trained border collie that saves me at least 4 hours a week on labour every week. He will work for 8-10 years though sk less than 50 cents for every hours work. He is also great company, asleep here on the hearth stone at the moment.

The vast majority just keeps pleasure pets. The most useful work she does is licking the crumbs up my toddler drops on the floor. But she's good craic.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Vibrators and rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What is he trained to do?

I assume it's a farm dog, collies are perfect because they're smart and incredible herding dogs. I've seen a few of them in action, it's like an additional employee on the farm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Collies would run the farm and do your taxes as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Beasty wrote: »
    Do have my eye on this

£510 off - very tempting;)

Just imagine....first time out and knackering it on a pothole :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Accidentally pressed the amazon prime button on my telly last night (on the way to streaming Ray Donovan for free through some shady app)

€13.99 to watch a film on your own fúcking telly!

No wonder they're worth a trillion dollars if people are throwing money at them like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Accidentally pressed the amazon prime button on my telly last night (on the way to streaming Ray Donovan for free through some shady app)

No wonder they're worth a trillion dollars if people are throwing money at them like that!

That is a lot to pay for thin air. Do you know what film was under that price tag on AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Beasty wrote: »
    Did once pay £125 for a Burberry scarf. Bargain really as they now sell them for €390

The biggest waste of money on this thread. That's like paying €10 for a bottle of water because the water normally costs €20.. a scarf should never cost more than €20.. its a feckn scarf for feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's good value. Certainly not over the odds. Did you post on the wrong thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I would presume at that price it was to download and legally own a copy of the film. I presume it could have been rented for less than half that.

If you are old enough to remember how much it cost to buy films on VHS then this is pittance and one area where the price has fallen.

Yes you don’t own a physical copy per say but it’s a lot cheaper and much much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Airport food and music festival, event food and drink. Electric Picnic pints were about Templebar prices.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Lick jam off my balls :)

Advertisement