Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I know people like this. I like to keep my distance. Just high horse idiots.

I have jocks going strong for the last 10 years.

Bloody hell they must be shredded by now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I know, right? I remember being gawped at with incomprehension by a bunch of girlie girls I used to work with who couldn’t believe that I don’t buy a new dress for each wedding. And I gawped back in a similar manner at one of them commenting “but what about photos from the weddings? What if someone spots that you wore the same dress at two different ones?”. Firstly, the ego. I doubt anyone is looking that closely. Secondly, if I like a dress, I want to wear it as much as possible. What actually will happen if someone notices?

Plus you pay good money for occasion dresses and nobody really wants them afterwards so you end up with hundreds spent on occasion wear in your wardrobe, all in good condition and they'll just gather dust. I don't see the point of it.
    At least you can pick them up at a local online market place for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Bloody hell they must be shredded by now :eek:

Haven't been washed in 10 years so still going okay. Bit of febreeze be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I know, right? I remember being gawped at with incomprehension by a bunch of girlie girls I used to work with who couldn’t believe that I don’t buy a new dress for each wedding. And I gawped back in a similar manner at one of them commenting “but what about photos from the weddings? What if someone spots that you wore the same dress at two different ones?”. Firstly, the ego. I doubt anyone is looking that closely. Secondly, if I like a dress, I want to wear it as much as possible. What actually will happen if someone notices?

Jaysus even Kate Middleton re-wears her dresses. Princess Anne has been been known to keep things for decades and re-wear them. She wore the outfit she had for Charles and Di's wedding to another one a few years ago. Princess Madeleine of Sweden borrowed a dress that her mother had worn both to the Nobel Prize Ceremony and for her 25th wedding anniversary and wore it for her own wedding afters party. If it is good enough for the royals...

sunbeam wrote: »
    If it is good enough for the royals...
    ... we may as well all marry our cousins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Haven't been washed in 10 years so still going okay. Bit of febreeze be grand

Do you spray it on whilst wearing them? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

The wedding police might be called! :D

Completely agree with you. I had that very conversation with a friend recently. She was surprised that a neighbour was planning to wear an outfit she had bought for her son's wedding, to a niece's wedding. 'But it will be the same people attending'... The weddings are a year apart, and even if they weren't, so what! If you buy something, more than likely expensive for a wedding, damn sure you should enjoy getting more than one wear out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

New diesel car to save money on the motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Even so, you should really wear trousers in a wedding photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Too lazy to check the previous 14 pages but tampons and sanitary towels have to be up there. They are so expensive for what they are. There are cheaper versions but they just are not as good. So we pay way over the odds for an essential product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Too lazy to check the previous 14 pages but tampons and sanitary towels have to be up there. They are so expensive for what they are. There are cheaper versions but they just are not as good. So we pay way over the odds for an essential product.

These two points are related.

Cars.

People squander stupefying amounts of money on cars and changing cars every few years. It is a level of profligacy that would be viewed as pure stupid if it was spent on any other thing.

I good, reliable car can be had for € 1,500 if you do your homework. I would never spend any more than that on a car.

My sister & brother in law have a 141 Audi A6 and she was recently complaining about money being tight with them. Then I hear her talking about them trading in the Audi for a newish Mercedes. So my sympathy for their money worries is very limited.

Edit: And the who whinge about how hard it is to make ends meet are very often the yummy mummies with big new cars and fancy holidays and a million and one paid activities for the kids. Of course it's hard to make ends meet when you're pishing it all away on non-essential crap.

Agree. The effect marketing has had in convincing people to spend such a disproportionate amount of their income (relative to use) on cars is staggering.

SirChenjin wrote: »
    The wedding police might be called! :D

Completely agree with you. I had that very conversation with a friend recently. She was surprised that a neighbour was planning to wear an outfit she had bought for her son's wedding, to a niece's wedding. 'But it will be the same people attending'... The weddings are a year apart, and even if they weren't, so what! If you buy something, more than likely expensive for a wedding, damn sure you should enjoy getting more than one wear out of it.

I actually think the above scenario is one where the same dress should not be worn to be honest. As a run off the mill guest at different random weddings it’s not a big deal but at her sons wedding she’s would have been very much in the lime light and also be to a degree at her nieces and I think it would look strange and stand out that she wore the same dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Too lazy to check the previous 14 pages but tampons and sanitary towels have to be up there.

Whatever about tampons being up there, but a whole sanitary towel sounds uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I actually think the above scenario is one where the same dress should not be worn to be honest. As a run off the mill guest at different random weddings it’s not a big deal but at her sons wedding she’s would have been very much in the lime light and also be to a degree at her nieces and I think it would look strange and stand out that she wore the same dress.

If she turned up in a wedding dress she'd stand out or if she tried to outshine the mother of the bride by wearing an outlandish dress she'd stand out. Other than that I don't think people would take much notice. Somebody might notice that's the dress she wore to her sons wedding but it wouldn't be a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I always wonder how people in general remember what others wore to an occasion a year ago. I don't even remember what my partner wore yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Eh? who do you think paid for it, the money tree?

I wouldn't want to buy a bottle of whiskey for 12k because nobody would be able to tell the fcuking difference between that, and a bottle that costs 50 quid.

So you were sent to the office for a bottle of moat and you paid for it? Well, you’re a bigger eejit then.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So you were sent to the office for a bottle of moat and you paid for it? Well, you’re a bigger eejit then.

A - sent from the office. To the off-license
    B - It was Moet
    C - I'm quite sure they would have gotten reimbursed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The rich buy dearest 'cause they want to be sure,
    The poor can't afford to be that insecure,

fryup wrote: »
    still wouldn't drink from the tap though

And that’s how they can rip people off.

• Advertisement

The rich buy dearest 'cause they want to be sure,
    The poor can't afford to be that insecure,

The rich though set targets which the poor try to attain. See communion celebration shenanigans for example. A wealthy family, the 'Jones's' had a party with catered food, bouncing castle, magician and free drink etc. Others in the street try to replicate thus spending unnecessarily outside their means.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pizza
    Brand new cars
    Laundry detergent
    Candles - esp scented ones
    Sex...

...a fool and their money (and all that).

A - sent from the office. To the off-license
    B - It was Moet
    C - I'm quite sure they would have gotten reimbursed.

If he got reimbursed what is he crying about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Paul Costello collection at Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I'm passing down my draws to my son haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Totally agree with the brand new cars. I had a colleague trying to convince me that PCP was a great deal at work the other day. His payments are €300+ a month, interest is something like 6%, deposit cost more than my car. But he was saying it’s great value because he doesn’t have to do an nct and his tax is about 200 Euro lower than mine. The mind boggles.

My car cost me €2500 over 3 years ago and the only money I’ve put into it is new tyres and a service every year.

Another one is women’s hair appointments. At least €120 for highlights and a cut in most “fancy” hairdressers. The place I go to charges €50 for half a head of highlights with a cut and blow dry. It’s not fancy and is in what would be considered a “rough” part of the city but I get the exact same result as more high end places and the staff are sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Zebra3 wrote:
    Politicans’ pensions.

Politicians wages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The Paul Costello collection at Dunnes Stores.

oh ye
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/plank-of-wood-in-dunnes-2787553-May2016/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Funerals, the greatest con of all. After being conned all your life, the greedy undertaker takes the biggest slice.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It was a Sunday evening, wasn't in the office. Not quite sure why I'm explaining this, tbh! Just saying, some things are a bit overpriced. It isn't supposed to be controversial.

Advertisement