Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options

Comments

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Totally agree with the brand new cars. I had a colleague trying to convince me that PCP was a great deal at work the other day. His payments are €300+ a month, interest is something like 6%, deposit cost more than my car. But he was saying it’s great value because he doesn’t have to do an nct and his tax is about 200 Euro lower than mine. The mind boggles.

My car cost me €2500 over 3 years ago and the only money I’ve put into it is new tyres and a service every year.

The only reason you can buy a cheap second hand car is because someone else bought it new. I finding it extremely silly when I hear people saying it’s foolish to buy a new car and other such comments as without it there would be no second hand cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A - sent from the office. To the off-license
    B - It was Moet
    C - I'm quite sure they would have gotten reimbursed.

Moët you fcuking Philistine!
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

A - sent from the office. To the off-license
    B - It was Moet
    C - I'm quite sure they would have gotten reimbursed.

And it's licence ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

The Paul Costello collection at Dunnes Stores.

Not a patch on the Paul Galvin collection though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The only reason you can buy a cheap second hand car is because someone else bought it new. I finding it extremely silly when I hear people saying it’s foolish to buy a new car and other such comments as without it there would be no second hand cars.

Your post makes no sense, yes we need silly people to buy new cars but that doesn't change the fact the the people who buy new cars are silly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Macs aren’t expensive. I buy mine to last 5-6 years or so. And then they still have a reasonable resale value. Same with an iPhone after 3 years.

On year 12 with my pc, I think. Definitely double digits anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I'd that not contradictory or something?
    Someone took a depreciation hit on the second hand car you're buying.
    So they were a "bit silly"..?

Fine and fair play if you can easily afford a new car, but when you trade it in/sell it, you're effectively throwing away €1000s....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Home security muah hahahaha haaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't agree
    But there are problems with it

An awful lot of it caused by patients not turning up for appointmenta

So you think the HSE's problems lie with people not turning up for appointments! How come successive Ministers for Health haven't figured out that this is what has caused billions of overspending in recent decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yep, I'm on year 26 with my old Amiga, Macs pffftttt

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    Your post makes no sense, yes we need silly people to buy new cars but that doesn't change the fact the the people who buy new cars are silly

People who buy new cars aren’t “silly”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

But people sign themselves up for crazy payments for 3-5 years. Couple I know just got a 142 car on finance, they pay 220 quid a month now for the next five years for a car that'll be 9 years old when they're done with the contract. They'd be low earners and are aware that they now won't have a wedding or a nice holiday anytime soon because their money goes into the car.
    Buying a new car isn't silly, getting a car on finance and have quite some financial burden on an asset that loses its value really fast might be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

These two points are related.

So are you saying that we should pay over the odds because the cheaper ones are not as good? Because I don’t agree with that. These products should be a reasonable price and should be up to standard. They are not luxuries, they are essentials. Because a massive proportion of the population need them companies maximize on that, they way overcharge and if you don’t want to walk around leaking then you have to pay over the odds for the product.

LirW wrote: »
    But people sign themselves up for crazy payments for 3-5 years. Couple I know just got a 142 car on finance, they pay 220 quid a month now for the next five years for a car that'll be 9 years old when they're done with the contract. They'd be low earners and are aware that they now won't have a wedding or a nice holiday anytime soon because their money goes into the car.
    Buying a new car isn't silly, getting a car on finance and have quite some financial burden on an asset that loses its value really fast might be though.

I wouldn’t consider 220 euro a month crazy by any means it’s a very low repayment really. Doing it over 5 years is a bit long though that I would agree with but once they are making the repayments and enjoying the car then who is to say they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I wouldn’t consider 220 euro a month crazy by any means it’s a very low repayment really. Doing it over 5 years is a bit long though that I would agree with but once they are making the repayments and enjoying the car then who is to say they are wrong.

It might not be for you, but there are many people out there on low income and for them 200 a month does make a huge difference. Unfortunately there are also many out there with a bad sense for money and accessing money is easy enough even with a not great credit history.
    The majority of new vehicles on the road are on finance, there will be plenty who wouldn't feel a difference because they earn good money, but there's also the temptation to overstretch themselves for the luxury of driving a new Dacia Duster.
    A car has one job, to take you from A to B. If your pockets aren't lined a car for 5k will work out just as well for doing what its supposed to do and you still have some change left in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

Ah that reminds me of a good one!

Flahavans porridge 1.5kg, is €2.75 (€0.18/100g). Thats about 6c per bowl and they even give you the little measuring cup to measure out the milk and porridge.

If you buy the pre-packed sachets (10 x 35g) it costs €2.99 (€0.85/100g) which sounds like small money but is almost FIVE times more expensive.

Worse again are the Flahavans that are pre-packaged in the microwaveable cups - these cost €0.99 for 44g - a whopping €2.25/100g. Thats 12.5 times the cost of buying it loose and the only advantage is not having to use your own bowl.

So people eat porridge normally as it the healthy option. The pots and the sachets both have a nice load of sugar added to them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Petrol from Topaz/circle k.

The majority of new vehicles on the road are on finance, there will be plenty who wouldn't feel a difference because they earn good money, but there's also the temptation to overstretch themselves for the luxury of driving a new Dacia Duster.
    A car has one job, to take you from A to B. If your pockets aren't lined a car for 5k will work out just as well for doing what its supposed to do and you still have some change left in your pocket.

Finance is how a car should be bought (well a car worth more than a few thousand), even the very rich buy their cars on finance or even lease them as is not wise to spend your savings on a car much better to finance it especially with low or 0% finance available nowadays. If you can afford the repayment then you can afford the car.

Also a car is a lot more than something for getting you from a to b for many people and for others they just don’t want the hassle of ncts, visits to a mechanic and the risk of breakdown particularly for those who heavily reply in their car.
    rom wrote: »
    So people eat porridge normally as it the healthy option. The pots and the sachets both have a nice load of sugar added to them also.

The sachets have nothing added the pots have a little bit then again a lot of people who eat porridge add sugar or honey etc anyway so probably doesn’t change much for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Lotto.

They made it harder to win and more expensive to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Was sent to the offie yesterday for a bottle of birthday Moet. 56 fcuking quid for a bottle of cheap wine with some bubbles in it.

I defy anyone to tell me they could tell the difference between that bottle and one that costs 15 quid.

What else is over-rated relative to what is costs to produce? Those ridiculously expensive liqui-tabs? Persil must make a fortune on those. Shop-bought paracetamol?

I'm bitter AF about that Moet, tbh.

There's an element of truth to that.

If you put an expensive bott;e of wine beside a cheap bottle and ask people to taste both without telling them the price they'll not notice that much difference.

However, if you do tell them the price beforehand it seems to affect how they experience it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was sent to the offie yesterday for a bottle of birthday Moet. 56 fcuking quid for a bottle of cheap wine with some bubbles in it.

I'm bitter AF about that Moet, tbh.

Up to newry with you, bottles of moet for £27.

Bicycles have also gotten really expensive, especially since the bike to work scheme came in. €300 seems to be the base price for utter ****e now, with the price rising exponentially for better models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Craft Beer

99% of it tastes like week old socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

McGaggs wrote: »

This is the customer who calls their Broadband provider complaining about how slow it is. Never anything wrong with the precious technology of course - the one they bought years ago for a huge wedge. Sure this will last forever, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Civet coffee is literally very expensive shít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Buying a new car on finance is ridiculous.

You're immediately in negative equity when the car loses 10% of its value when you drive it out the door.

That said, I need these idiots to keep buying, so I can pick up a 10 year old luxury car that's 95% depreciated.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

War paint some old hens do buy. You can’t polish a turd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sunbeam wrote: »
    Jaysus even Kate Middleton re-wears her dresses. Princess Anne has been been known to keep things for decades and re-wear them. She wore the outfit she had for Charles and Di's wedding to another one a few years ago. Princess Madeleine of Sweden borrowed a dress that her mother had worn both to the Nobel Prize Ceremony and for her 25th wedding anniversary and wore it for her own wedding afters party. If it is good enough for the royals...

Princess Madeleine and Kate Middleton know that everyone knows they are minted so they’re happy to rewear items of clothing in public. It really does seem to be an aspirational, striving, middle class thing like “look, I can afford an expensive new dress for each occasion!”. Well sorry folks, I choose my dresses carefully and if I find one that flatters my figure, I’m wearing it as much as possible.

I love the idea of sharing dresses. My mother and her sister shared a wedding dress. My communion dress was previously worn by two older cousins and then my sister. I didn’t feel like any less of a princess for the day because it was a hand-me-down. And my sister and I often borrow dresses off each other for weddings. As long as I’m happy with how I look, I couldn’t give a crap that the dress isn’t new or is one that I’ve worn before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Jimmy. wrote: »
    War paint some old hens do buy. You can’t polish a turd.

Ahem, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The VW Golf.......such an ordinary car that certain Irish guys are obsessed with, ridiculous second hand values for this dull plain ordinary styleless German made vehicle 🚗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,967 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

retalivity wrote: »

Bicycles have also gotten really expensive, especially since the bike to work scheme came in. €300 seems to be the base price for utter ****e now, with the price rising exponentially for better models.

Can't believe a lad at work paying the money of a second hand car on a push bike.

Advertisement