Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The HSE is the worst value for the money spent on it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Property.

The fact that people are queuing up all over again, to buy over-priced property in this country, will mean that a huge amount of cash will (once again) be sucked out of the economy over a 25 year period.

As someone mentioned on boards before one time, if a buyer borrows €250,000 over 25 years @ 4% rate of interest, they will eventually be paying back €395,000 over the term of the loan.

This of course, is not reflected on the price tag on the house when it is advertised in the estate agents.
    So while people will complain about having over-paid for concert tickets, cars, hair-dos etc, no one will mention the elephant in the room.

The price is the price. How you going about getting the money to buy it is your own business. If you have cash in the bank then you're only paying the 250000.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Burns a perpetual hole in my pocket.

Skincare takes the biscuit.
    For a full skincare routine, you've got cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturiser, acid peels and sheet masks, deep clay cleansers all of which can cost multiple hundreds of quid depending on the brand. .

Not true, that’s what the marketing dept has told you that you need and you believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Women's hairdressing - or at least, cutting.

Recently I was saying to my wife that I can get my hair cut at home on a Saturday for €10 in town during the week for €18, which is handier, but €18 seems a bit too much. She burst out laughing... "Haircut...€18 too much...funniest thing ever..." etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Paid €60 for a small tub of moisturiser last night. For a full skincare routine, you've got cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturiser, acid peels and sheet masks, deep clay cleansers all of which can cost multiple hundreds of quid depending on the brand.

And that's before you get to the anti-aging stuff, because there's of course a premium on women for daring to get older, the cheeky bastids. Prescription retinoids, otc retinol, vit C serums....

It's all a complete waste of time and money do you not think. Your average 50 year old woman after maybe 35 years of these "treatments", looks much the same age as a 50 year old bloke who's done without them!

Almond milk alias cosmic joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The HSE is the worst value for the money spent on it

I don't agree
    But there are problems with it

An awful lot of it caused by patients not turning up for appointmenta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Graces7 wrote: »
    You beat me to it. ;) I used to ask when my dogs needed a hay bed. As it was just for bedding I got last years and free.

Any saw mill will be glad to get rid of shavings, sawdust etc.

Not free, pay by the trailer for it. It's trucked off to factories to be packed up as horse bedding/mdf/fake meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

It's all a complete waste of time and money do you not think. Your average 50 year old woman after maybe 35 years of these "treatments", looks much the same age as a 50 year old bloke who's done without them!

Nah good skincare can definitely make a real difference, especially if it includes a high SPF and something like a prescription retinoid, which is proven to have an effect on wrinkles etc.

A 50 year old guy who has never so much as moisturised in his life is going to look a lot more haggard and old than a woman who has spent her life doing so.

But yeah, total money-making racket when it comes to just how much some brands want to charge you for basic products, that are then promoted to you by reputable dermatologists and salons as if we all have thousands to burn on our faces every year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A friend was complaining about the cost of her foundation all right but when we thought about how long she'd be using it for, it worked out very cheap per month. An eyeshadow palette I got for maybe 40 quid would probably do me years.

Moisturiser can be pricey all right though and doesn't last as long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Having kids. People working their whole lives just to support the kids and cost you most of your life and most of your wages.

Call me selfish but I want to live a good life and don't need kids to do that. Just a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

moonage wrote: »

It's when some piece of tat is selling for £12 and they give the option to pay in 3 easy installments of £4 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

storker wrote: »
    Women's hairdressing - or at least, cutting.

Recently I was saying to my wife that I can get my hair cut at home on a Saturday for €10 in town during the week for €18, which is handier, but €18 seems a bit too much. She burst out laughing... "Haircut...€18 too much...funniest thing ever..." etc.

What was she laughing at?

B!tches be crazy... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Paid €60 for a small tub of moisturiser last night. For a full skincare routine, you've got cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturiser, acid peels and sheet masks, deep clay cleansers all of which can cost multiple hundreds of quid depending on the brand.

And that's before you get to the anti-aging stuff, because there's of course a premium on women for daring to get older, the cheeky bastids. Prescription retinoids, otc retinol, vit C serums....

with all the branded creams and potions you're paying for the name and the whole "antiaging" value.

Generic retin-A gel is literally the exact same thing, even stronger, and is used to treat bad acne. Tubes of it can be had from online pharmacies for less than €10 , a mere fraction of the price of the branded antiaging varieties.
    Similarly, a vit C serum can be made by putting Vitamin C powder which can be had for buttons online to a cheap basic moisuriser.

Creme de la mer for example is one that boils my blood. Cost a fortune and the marketing talks about extracts, essenses and so forth but none of what is in it has been proven to have any effect. It's all a scam to con money from frustrated middle aged bags with more money than sense.

The price is the price.  How you going about getting the money to buy it is your own business.  If you have cash in the bank then you're only paying the 250000.

In fairness very few of us would be able to stump up €250k in cash for a house.

Most of us will be left with no choice but to borrow the money from the bank.

Unfortunately, up to recently, Irish bank's mortgage interest rates were almost double the European average, plus banks have stopped giving tracker loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't agree
    But there are problems with it

An awful lot of it caused by patients not turning up for appointmenta

It's a bit of chicken-and-egg, but As somebody who doesn't currently have an appointment...

If I wasn't well, looked for an appointment, and received one for a year or two down the road... there's every chance I'll recover (or die) in the mean time. Either way, I'll probably miss that appointment. You'd be crazy to cancel the appointment once you feel better, because of the condition recurs, you'll be back to square one waiting for a new appointment.

For the sums we put into the health service, we get appallingly bad value. Some people feel very smug talking about people looking for Scnadanavian services while paying Greek levels of tax.

We pay fairly average taxes in a European context, and put more money into our health system per person than most of Europe. The service we get in return is terrible. The staff are very skilled, but everything else is sub-par.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Avocados

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

with all the branded creams and potions you're paying for the name and the whole "antiaging" value.

Generic retin-A gel is literally the exact same thing, even stronger, and is used to treat bad acne. Tubes of it can be had from online pharmacies for less than €10 , a mere fraction of the price of the branded antiaging varieties.
    Similarly, a vit C serum can be made by putting Vitamin C powder which can be had for buttons online to a cheap basic moisuriser.

Creme de la mer for example is one that boils my blood. Cost a fortune and the marketing talks about extracts, essenses and so forth but none of what is in it has been proven to have any effect. It's all a scam to con money from frustrated middle aged bags with more money than sense.

To be fair, I'd rather pay the quid than go messing around with vit C powder or retin-A and end up giving myself third degree burns in the process.

Tretinoin, or Retin-A, can't be legally bought otc or imported into Ireland without a prescription (I know this because I tried and had it sent back on my behalf :pac:). I get mine for €20 from the pharmacy when I'm in Spain though, which saves me the €200 price tag for a dermatologist who can give me the prescription.

As someone who spends a lot on skincare, there's a definite difference if you use the right products for your skin type, in the right order and in the right quantities. But your average Joe isn't going to set up a home laboratory for this stuff so will need A. professional advice and 2. serious mullah and 3. even more serious commitment over decades to get it right.

And Creme de la Mer is an absolute scam. I bought a jar of their moisturiser and ended up throwing it out a few year ago, greasy, tacky, and didn't make a flying fcuk of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I get the impression here that many people think that money should never be spent on anything at all and also that people should not have any nice things in life at all.

What a miserable existence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

murpho999 wrote: »
    I get the impression here that many people think that money should never be spent on anything at all and also that people should not have any nice things in life at all.

If you can easily afford it then yea, but people getting themselves into debt to have these nice things is ridiculous.

Also people just buy the new IPhone or Samsung even though they have no idea if an improvement or last year's model just to have the lastest model. Same with cars, make up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,967 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stuff sold by chemists, esp. sun cream, that you can get in Aldi or Lidl for a fraction of the price.

Extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

A lot of people aren't saying that they cant have nice things, but why people pay more than they should for an item. as mentioned, a mobile phones. Most people get the latest iPhone cause it will make them cool or some nonsense. You can easily get a phone for way under half the price that will do exactly, if not more than the iPhone can do, but its all about image

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Manuka honey.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Stuff sold by chemists, esp. sun cream, that you can get in Aldi or Lidl for a fraction of the price.

Extortionate.

I used to think this, but this summer has changed my mind.

I found it's worth investing in the good shtuff (well the one I got) as there were no sunburns at all from any of us and there was not constant applications and we were in more intense sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Tap water is generally fine in Ireland, 'the best', terms used to just flog you something

It really isn't.

Tap water in Ireland is just about fine if you boil it (in some areas), but drink straight from the tap? no thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bottled water,
    People bitch about the price of petrol and diesel but then they will go and spent more then the price of litre of petrol on a bottle of water,
    makes zero sense

Having kids. People working their whole lives just to support the kids and cost you most of your life and most of your wages.

Call me selfish but I want to live a good life and don't need kids to do that. Just a waste of time.
    Sounds logical, but may not seem quite to sensible when you're old and sitting on a lot of cash, with nobody to spend it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm all for people buying nice things but I think it's madness how loyal people can be to am expensive brand/product.
    The local delicatessen I mentioned could server burnt and stale cakes which are expensive and people are all about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Cocaine
    It's cut/mixed to **** and over priced compared to other recreational drugs, going out it's €100 gone before you even have a pint, don't know why everyone's on it

Advertisement