Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options
  • 17-09-2018 8:50am

Was sent to the offie yesterday for a bottle of birthday Moet. 56 fcuking quid for a bottle of cheap wine with some bubbles in it.

I defy anyone to tell me they could tell the difference between that bottle and one that costs 15 quid.

What else is over-rated relative to what is costs to produce? Those ridiculously expensive liqui-tabs? Persil must make a fortune on those. Shop-bought paracetamol?

I'm bitter AF about that Moet, tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

every single luxury product that's considered exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You wouldn’t want to be buying a bottle of whiskey for 12k because you’d sh1t your pants.what difference does it make you didn’t pay for it out of your own pocket.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    what difference does it make you didn’t pay for it out of your own pocket.
    Eh? who do you think paid for it, the money tree?
    You wouldn’t want to be buying a bottle of whiskey for 12k because you’d sh1t your pants.
    I wouldn't want to buy a bottle of whiskey for 12k because nobody would be able to tell the fcuking difference between that, and a bottle that costs 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

I defy anyone to tell me they could tell the difference between that bottle and one that costs 15 quid.

You can tell the difference, especially the next morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sky

can't understand why anyone would bother with it in this day of FTA tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Bottle water is the biggest sham of all

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

House or apartment.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Gillette blades. Safety razor ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Gillette blades. Safety razor ftw.

Soft, I use a rusty Stanley blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Apple products

How to milk sheep effortlessly .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Bottle water is the biggest sham of all

still wouldn't drink from the tap though

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Soft, I use a rusty Stanley blade.

Rusty spoon here with sandpaper my go to when can't find a spoon rusty enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Takeout coffee. One a day and you are looking at over 1k per year

• Registered Users Posts: 26,159 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What else is over-rated relative to what is costs to produce?
    Anything with a heavily-marketed brand. The price paid has to cover the cost of the marketing, which does not enhance the product and confers no benefit on the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Smartphones in general, especially the 'high-end' ones.

For example, the Samsung Galaxy S3 was like €600 on launch, but the Galaxy S9 is about €750 now.

The iPhone 4 was $699 and now the iPhone XS will set you back €999.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Nike trainers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fryup wrote: »
    Sky

can't understand why anyone would bother with it in this day of FTA tv

I have it as I like the menu system on Sky Q, the box is slick and works well.

Also, I like to have Sky Sports properly not streamed and this is the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Farmers markets. While walking past, I overheard someone gasping when the olive seller asked for €7 for the tiniest portion of olives. Does the wasp poo add to the cost?

Sesame wrote: »
    Farmers markets. While walking past, I overheard someone gasping when the olive seller asked for €7 for the tiniest portion of olives. Does the wasp poo add to the cost?
    Reminds me of a neighbour of mine who used to sell veg that the supermarkets won't take, at one of these farmer's markets.

The poor dears paying 3 quid for a few deformed onions thought they were getting something better than they'd get in Aldi, when really it was just Aldi cast-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Most make up and beauty products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Smartphones in general, especially the 'high-end' ones.

For example, the Samsung Galaxy S3 was like €600 on launch, but the Galaxy S9 is about €750 now.

The iPhone 4 was $699 and now the iPhone XS will set you back €999.

I was going to say the exact same.Smartphones are now treated as status symbols and as such the prices are inflated

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Pet care.

I have two guinea pigs. Have had them for four years now.

A bag of hay is anything up to 4.99 depending on where you buy it. Same with a bag of wood shavings. Bag of dry food for a guinea pig is another fiver.

Lets say I buy the above in Tesco which is the cheapest that I can see, once a week for the four years. 4.50 for nuts, 3.99 for hay, 3.99 for shavings = 648.96.

So in four years I've paid minimally 2,595.84 to care for TWO FCUKING GUINEA PIGS.

That's not including fruit and veg which they also need every single day. And if they need to go to the vet that's more money.

Expensive little critters :o

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ArrBee

....Shop-bought paracetamol?

How do you make your own paracetamol?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Anything with a heavily-marketed brand. The price paid has to cover the cost of the marketing, which does not enhance the product and confers no benefit on the consumer.

Some of this is actually frightening. Pharma companies for instance spend double on marketing than on R&D. As you say, the consumer must bear this cost. Well, "must" I think definitely applies in this instance.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

ArrBee wrote: »
    How do you make your own paracetamol?
    Ha! Buy it in a pharmacy instead, you'll save a fortune on the generic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

branded perfume or cologne

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Shop-bought paracetamol?

You really shouldn't make your own paracetamol

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Cigarettes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Boards should really add a homebrew pharmaceutical forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

xzanti wrote:
    A bag of hay is anything up to 4.99 depending on where you buy it. Same with a bag of wood shavings. Bag of dry food for a guinea pig is another fiver.

xzanti wrote:
    I have two guinea pigs. Have had them for four years now.

xzanti wrote:
    Lets say a I buy the above in Tesco which is the cheapest that I can see, once a week for the four years. 4.50 for nuts, 3.99 for hay, 3.99 for shavings = 648.96.

xzanti wrote:
    So in four years I've paid minimally 2,595.84 to care for TWO FCUKING GUINEA PIGS.

Buy a bale of a hay of a farmer for 3 euros, that will see them out..

Advertisement