Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

E mac wrote: »
    Cigarettes.....

I disagree , not half dear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Was sent to the offie yesterday for a bottle of birthday Moet. 56 fcuking quid for a bottle of cheap wine with some bubbles in it.

I defy anyone to tell me they could tell the difference between that bottle and one that costs 15 quid.

What else is over-rated relative to what is costs to produce? Those ridiculously expensive liqui-tabs? Persil must make a fortune on those. Shop-bought paracetamol?

I'm bitter AF about that Moet, tbh.

A night with your Ma

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Beers in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

furniture is another one, some pieces of furniture are crazy prices, can spend thousands on a 3 piece suit which i think is crazy money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I don't agree
    But there are problems with it

An awful lot of it caused by patients not turning up for appointmenta

Appointments that they were probably waiting years for, and, maybe, passed away before being seen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Costa Coffee.
    Should be renamed Costly Coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Toilet paper, you can just use your hand and water. Does the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Kitchens ! What is it with kitchens in Ireland ? People really go silly on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Apple products

How to milk sheep effortlessly .

I'd pay for a quality made product over a piece of cheap **** anyway.

that said, I get all my macs dirt cheap on Adverts, since the people selling them usually are Microsoft types and sell them far too cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

maccored wrote: »
    I'd pay for a quality made product over a piece of cheap **** anyway.

that said, I get all my macs dirt cheap on Adverts, since the people selling them usually are Microsoft types and sell them far too cheap

they don't sell them cheap, they sell them for what they are actually worth and not overpriced :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Macs aren’t expensive. I buy mine to last 5-6 years or so. And then they still have a reasonable resale value. Same with an iPhone after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Gucci, Louis vutton, burbandy etc as well as everything in b Thomas.. lots of silly eejits paying stupid money for a overratted name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

furniture is another one, some pieces of furniture are crazy prices, can spend thousands on a 3 piece suit which i think is crazy money

All about quality and how long it lasts to be fair. That's until your 3 year old spills yougart all over it. Then you say why did I bother. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Costa Coffee.
    Should be renamed Costly Coffee.

Speaking of Costa, I walked past one this morning to see a poster for bloody porridge.

I just...can't even. There's people who can't be arsed making their own porridge and will pay a couple of quid for someone else to do it.

References to coffee on this thread are definitely valid

I was in tesco earlier, and balked slightly at having to pay 6 quid for a jar of instant coffee (what's an average jar, 50 cups?), yet most of us wouldn't even think twice about handing over three quid for a cup of Starbucks shite.

You can easily get a phone for way under half the price that will do exactly, if not more than the iPhone can do, but its all about image

No you can't, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Speaking of Costa, I walked past one this morning to see a poster for bloody porridge.

I just...can't even. There's people who can't be arsed making their own porridge and will pay a couple of quid for someone else to do it.

Isn't porridge/etc normal for café/etc. It's handy for people whobjave to met somebody for breakfast.

No you can't, not even close.

Apple fan boys. Yes you can, and the real benefits of Android are they are not locked down like Apple phones. Give me a 350 euro android phone over a 1200 euro apple phone any day.

People need to wake up that Apple phones are just utter ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Kitchens ! What is it with kitchens in Ireland ? People really go silly on them.

I always get a good laugh when people say you can't get a good kitchen under 15k.
    Guess what, I paid a third for mine and it works just as well.

Clothes. People spend horrendous money on clothes, have two wardrobes of nothing-to-wear. Clothes lose all its value once you paid for them, if you ever wanna sell them on you get peanuts for it unless it's a really sought after designer piece.
    Don't get me wrong, it's amazing getting some lovely pieces for the wardrobe but people buy way too much and end up simply not wearing it.

Same with shoes, easy to overbuy. Realistically there are 2 pairs I wear regularly, I'd rather spend more on a good pair than buy 10 poorly fitting ones that I wear 0-2 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

References to coffee on this thread are definitely valid

I was in tesco earlier, and balked slightly at having to pay 6 quid for a jar of instant coffee (what's an average jar, 50 cups?), yet most of us wouldn't even think twice about handing over three quid for a cup of Starbucks shite.

I'm guilty of this. I look at the price of tea-bags in Tesco and think €6.50 for 120 bags is a rip-off yet I'll happily spend €2.50 for a cup in Costa. It really defies logic :confused:

Fools and their money are easily parted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Isn't porridge/etc normal for café/etc. It's handy for people whobjave to met somebody for breakfast.

That porridge is created by a Porista who's done lots of courses and studied their art under another master.
    Yours is just a sorry, amateur amalgamation of oats and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would that not apply to all meals so?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Guests at weddings.
    I see it on forums here and in reality.
    You've women who spend a fortune on a dress, shoes, handbag and getting hair,etc done. They're not even that close to the couple. She generally says it's a must.
    You'd then attend the wedding and you see people there in dress that they've worn before and from cheaper places. Nobody bats an eye lid and everybody tells everybody they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

€70 for a football jersey (which you don't play in but wear when matches are on).
    Just buy a polo shirt with the team colors and wear a pin or something to show who you follow.

Way classier and cheaper than buying a jersey every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ah that reminds me of a good one!

Flahavans porridge 1.5kg, is €2.75 (€0.18/100g). Thats about 6c per bowl and they even give you the little measuring cup to measure out the milk and porridge.

If you buy the pre-packed sachets (10 x 35g) it costs €2.99 (€0.85/100g) which sounds like small money but is almost FIVE times more expensive.

Worse again are the Flahavans that are pre-packaged in the microwaveable cups - these cost €0.99 for 44g - a whopping €2.25/100g. Thats 12.5 times the cost of buying it loose and the only advantage is not having to use your own bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You could be meeting a friend but might be trying to keep it healthy. It’s not about laziness, as far as I can see. Most breakfast places have small items like that. It’s nothing new. I’m sure many people are interested in the social aspect of the meeting but don’t want to eat half their daily calories in one meal. Same goes for work breakfast meetings. Things like porridge help one avoid a food coma heading into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^ Bloody hell that's some mark-up. So the lesson is lazy b*stards pay for convenience :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

valoren wrote: »
    €70 for a football jersey (which you don't play in but wear when matches are on).
    Just buy a polo shirt with the team colors and wear a pin or something to show who you follow.

Way classier and cheaper than buying a jersey every year.

I love when my son is visiting his grandparents in Spain in the summer, he usually comes back with a few knock-off jerseys and he's just as happy and all the kids find it just as cool as a 70€ jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Guests at weddings.
    I see it on forums here and in reality.
    You've women who spend a fortune on a dress, shoes, handbag and getting hair,etc done. They're not even that close to the couple. She generally says it's a must.
    You'd then attend the wedding and you see people there in dress that they've worn before and from cheaper places. Nobody bats an eye lid and everybody tells everybody they look great.

I know, right? I remember being gawped at with incomprehension by a bunch of girlie girls I used to work with who couldn’t believe that I don’t buy a new dress for each wedding. And I gawped back in a similar manner at one of them commenting “but what about photos from the weddings? What if someone spots that you wore the same dress at two different ones?”. Firstly, the ego. I doubt anyone is looking that closely. Secondly, if I like a dress, I want to wear it as much as possible. What actually will happen if someone notices?

• Advertisement

I know, right? I remember being gawped at with incomprehension by a bunch of girlie girls I used to work with who couldn’t believe that I don’t buy a new dress for each wedding. And I gawped back in a similar manner at one of them commenting “but what about photos from the weddings? What if someone spots that you wore the same dress at two different ones?”. Firstly, the ego. I doubt anyone is looking that closely. Secondly, if I like a dress, I want to wear it as much as possible. What actually will happen if someone notices?

I know people like this. I like to keep my distance. Just high horse idiots.

I have jocks going strong for the last 10 years.

Advertisement