Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shít that people pay over-the-odds for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

They are nicer, fresher and much more convienent though along with much better choice and being able to choose what you want on the spot. Well with it imo.

Guy works with me spends €5 every single day in the deli on his lunch
    Never ever brings a lunch
    So about >€1250 a year or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

wally1990 wrote: »
    Guy works with me spends €5 every single day in the deli on his lunch
    Never ever brings a lunch
    So about >€1250 a year or whatever

And what would be the savings over a packed lunch be. It's not 1250 euro anyway. This is what packed lunchers believe and spout. I saved 1250 euro by bringing a packed lunch. Ah no you didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

And what would be the savings over a packed lunch be. It's not 1250 euro anyway. This is what packed lunchers believe and spout. I saved 1250 euro by bringing a packed lunch. Ah no you didnt

No but a packed lunch can half the cost depending on what you bring in. Having a spare 600 quid a year? Not saying no to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

Well most of my packed lunches are left over dinners or salads, stuff in fridge anyhow. I have a sandwich once a week ( homemade). I do agree though that you have more variety when buying fresh that day but surely the novelty wears off and a lot of dosh over time. When I do buy a lunch, I appreciate it.
    I am gluten free though so a lot of times I'm not catered to in our staff canteen or the choices are limited so I'm glad I don't rely on them.

Also many people working in offices sit a lot and this could eventually lead to a bit of additional weight and high cholesterol. You're not doing yourself any favours with eating a lot of processed meat, which is found a lot in sambos, when you're having high cholesterol.
    Having lunch might not suit everyone's diet or preferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Finance is how a car should be bought (well a car worth more than a few thousand), even the very rich buy their cars on finance or even lease them as is not wise to spend your savings on a car much better to finance it especially with low or 0% finance available nowadays. If you can afford the repayment then you can afford the car.

Also a car is a lot more than something for getting you from a to b for many people and for others they just don’t want the hassle of ncts, visits to a mechanic and the risk of breakdown particularly for those who heavily reply in their car.

The sachets have nothing added the pots have a little bit then again a lot of people who eat porridge add sugar or honey etc anyway so probably doesn’t change much for many.

If a car is properly maintained and a reliable make they hardly ever break down. Only this summer I had to push a 152 car for an AA mechanic because he couldn’t get it going. Do you think because it’s a new car that it’s immune to services, wear and tear etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

LirW wrote: »
    No but a packed lunch can half the cost depending on what you bring in. Having a spare 600 quid a year? Not saying no to that!

For the sake of 600 euro I'll stick to buying my lunch. Some days I might want a roll, other days salad bowl, other days maybe dinner if I'm particularly hungry.

Maybe it works for some people but couldn't be bothered bringing a packed lunch. It's just not the same

For the sake of 600 euro I'll stick to buying my lunch. Some days I might want a roll, other days salad bowl, other days maybe dinner if I'm particularly hungry.

Maybe it works for some people but couldn't be bothered bringing a packed lunch. It's just not the same

Leftovers and certain things pack and warm up a lot better and are nicer than a sambo or roll would be, I agree with that. I also find that singles that are constantly in the go would eat a lot more bought lunches. When I was single I found it difficult to just buy in quantities of groceries that would suit me on my own. Certainly don't need a kilo of carrots.

But now that I have family it comes in handier cooking more and pack lunches.

But as in everything food: each to their own, no one size fits all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

given the huge mark up on sandwiches ect….id say you would save a grand or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Phonewatch. I had it for years, until I sat down and thought through what benefit I was getting from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

oceanman wrote: »
    given the huge mark up on sandwiches ect….id say you would save a grand or more.

i would hate to think what sort of sandwiches you could make out of €250 for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

i would hate to think what sort of sandwiches you could make out of €250 for a year.
    you should try it..you might be surprised, don't forget you are not just paying for the ingredients in that sambo..you are paying wages, rent, insurance, heating ect. the ingredients in a 5euro sambo probably costs about 1euro. the rest is all of the above plus a profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I also make my own lunch, mainly for the benefit it brings in being able to decide yourself what you are eating rather than pre packed food or poor quality delis. People who eat chicked fillet rolls are getting very little actual chicken.

The bonus to this is that the savings are huge.

I go to supermarket at lunchtime on Mondays buy fresh bread rolls, cheese, meats, tomatoes. I freeze the bread and take them out each day to thaw and they are nice and fresh.

Costs me roughly €9-10 for the week. That is a considerable saving and much nicer.

Also, means I don't lose half my lunch standing in a queue which is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They are nicer, fresher and much more convienent though along with much better choice and being able to choose what you want on the spot. Well worth it imo.

I never bring lunch and I spend between about 4.50 and 5.50 per day on sandwiches or rolls (depending on the shop). If I were to buy enough different breads/rolls and fillings to give me the same choice I’d probably spend more and end up with a load of waste. Is also a nice to go out for a stoll to the shops.

I reckon you could probably do it cheaper at home but really you're paying to save yourself the effort. I know that's why i do it. I did make my lunch for a while but in the end I just found it easier and more convenient to buy in a shop, I chose what I want to eat when I'm at lunch and not days before when I'm shopping. And like you I like the stroll. It's also not that much more expensive.

Personally, i don't know why anyone buys a new car. They cost a fortune and drop in price so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have no issues with paying for lunch but I always find the quality of meat and bread only to be okay at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

murpho999 wrote: »
    I also make my own lunch, mainly for the benefit it brings in being able to decide yourself what you are eating rather than pre packed food or poor quality delis. People who eat chicked fillet rolls are getting very little actual chicken.

The bonus to this is that the savings are huge.

I go to supermarket at lunchtime on Mondays buy fresh bread rolls, cheese, meats, tomatoes. I freeze the bread and take them out each day to thaw and they are nice and fresh.

Costs me roughly €9-10 for the week. That is a considerable saving and much nicer.

Also, means I don't lose half my lunch standing in a queue which is very annoying.

€10 just for home made lunch? I could survive on €20/week for all meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

What’s with all the Yo! corner boys wearing Emporio Armani (ea7). I saw 3 different yokes wearing them around the flats beside James’s hospital when I was cycling past today.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I could survive on €20/week for all meals.

You could, but why would you want to?

Are you living or surviving?

LirW wrote: »

Whatever extra it costs it’s well worth it to me anyway for the taste (the sandwiches I buy aren’t far far nicer than homemade), variety and ability to choose what you feel like having at lunch that day rather than when you were shopping a few days before hand. I also don’t like eating “dinner food” at lunch so leftovers from the day before etc would never be a thing I’d consider for lunch. I like a sandwich or a roll for lunch maybe occasionally a salad.
    murpho999 wrote: »

I like the walk out around town and to the different places I pick up my lunch. Also in our place people who go to buy lunch tend to sly away a bit earlier at lunch and take as long a lunch when they get back so not really losing out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out of interest Kole Attractive Mortal where do you get your lunch?

• Advertisement

Out of interest Kole Attractive Mortal where do you get your lunch?

I have a number of places I rotate around some places that sell more gourmet type sandwiches, other more traditional cafes/delis, sometimes just a centra deli and subway every Friday :). There are one or two salad bars I go to on occasion during the summer too.

I like a big feed at lunch so anywhere that dosnt have a big to very big sized sandwich/roll wouldn’t make the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What’s with all the Yo! corner boys wearing Emporio Armani (ea7). I saw 3 different yokes wearing them around the flats beside James’s hospital when I was cycling past today.

There was a massive shipment of knockoff armani stuff earlier in the year, ye couldnt move on meath st markets for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Chopped" salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Finance is how a car should be bought (well a car worth more than a few thousand), even the very rich buy their cars on finance or even lease them as is not wise to spend your savings on a car much better to finance it especially with low or 0% finance available nowadays. If you can afford the repayment then you can afford the car.

Also a car is a lot more than something for getting you from a to b for many people and for others they just don’t want the hassle of ncts, visits to a mechanic and the risk of breakdown particularly for those who heavily reply in their car.

I've never really grasped the whole fear thing car owners have over NCT's
    I must be one of the lucky ones.I get my car serviced every time the on board computer tells me to, get repairs done due to normal wear and tear that happens to all cars and it flies through
    Not sure why people see it as a hassle...20mins out of your life!
    I know people that almost have panic attacks over taking their car for the test
    Very strange altogether :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Steve F wrote: »
    I've never really grasped the whole fear thing car owners have over NCT's
    I must be one of the lucky ones.I get my car serviced every time the on board computer tells me to, get repairs done due to normal wear and tear that happens to all cars and it flies through
    Not sure why people see it as a hassle...20mins out of your life!
    I know people that almost have panic attacks over taking their car for the test
    Very strange altogether :confused:

It's a lottery. If it goes well, no hassle. Otherwise, it can be a pain. You get the car serviced. You book an appointment for an NCT. 20 mins most likely won't cover the time you're sitting waiting for the test to complete - never mind the time to get there and back.

The test may find a serious problem, but probably not since the car has just been serviced. More likely, it'll be an emissions issue, or forgetting to remove the hubcaps for the test, or the county name in Irish being missing from the number plate, or a bulb not being yellow enough :/

Then it might need to go back to the guy who serviced it, and then another round with the NCT. It could extend over a week. And repeat annually, depending on the age of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Burns a perpetual hole in my pocket.

Skincare takes the biscuit.

Paid €60 for a small tub of moisturiser last night. For a full skincare routine, you've got cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturiser, acid peels and sheet masks, deep clay cleansers all of which can cost multiple hundreds of quid depending on the brand.

And that's before you get to the anti-aging stuff, because there's of course a premium on women for daring to get older, the cheeky bastids. Prescription retinoids, otc retinol, vit C serums....

I was in the US last week, and someone tried to sell me "space peptides" eye cream for $500. He eventually offered me one in a damaged box for $200, but as he still couldn't explain what tf space peptides were, I declined. For the record, based on the sample results and the smell, I think space peptides is the new name for either witch hazel or cucumber (both available for less than €2). When he realised I was going to walk away, he suddenly switched tack, and asked me if my marriage was happy. I was thinking if it had been in trouble before, spending $500 on eye cream probably wasn't going to help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

the issue with the irish market is that getting repossession for non-performing loans is incredibly difficult. it is a long and expensive process for the lender. If we had european style rules on repossessions then we might have cheaper rates. How many foreign banks started to offer mortgages here and subsequently pulled out of the market?

This inconvenient truth is why Irish mortgage rates are higher than elsewhere in the Eurozone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

erdinger - 3.19 a pop now or 4 for 10, i feel obliged to buy the 4 for 10 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

1K iphones? Your money, but at least you actually use the item all the time, so it's not a bad return on investment arguably. Same for anything really, as long as you actually get use out of it.

The one thing I just don't get is some women and fashion. Wardrobes full of items that've only been worn once, endless pairs of shoes (some unworn), handbags that cost the price of a holiday and are only used once a year (if even), etc.

i spent 700 on a set of wheels (only - no tyres etc), never felt so guilty but hell did they transform the ride, zooming along. Not saying it is worth it but effortless cycling was achieved, the bike itself cost 6x that though, more or less all components changed to Carbon now. I can't lock it anywhere though - that sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did once pay £125 for a Burberry scarf. Bargain really as they now sell them for €390

Advertisement