Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

yep, but back then you had the troubles, you had huge unemployment, mass emigration, the RC church had a vice like grip on the country too

so on balance i'd rather live in the ireland of today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you had a job you were happy,
    you met your friends in a pub or a cafe,
    No one had 100 so called friends on facebook
    It did not require 2 people to buy a house,
    House prices were low, rents were low
    There's plus and minus,s
    Yes the Catholic Church had great power
    over how society was run
    I think people were more optimistic in general
    Now we maybe have 10 years left to tackle
    global warming
    Many people have low wage gig jobs
    It's great to have a smartphone
    but social media can be used to spread
    hate speech racist content and weird
    conspiracy theory's

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's ramped up division amongst people and meanness I would say too.

Are you kidding - just "up the road" we had shootings and bombings on a near daily basis because of religious/tribal hatred. "Peace walls" constructed to stop kids lobbing bricks and petrol bombs at people's homes. Etc. Can't blame any of that on the internet. It's hatred learned from the cradle.
    There's less humility and way more people with a sense of entitlement. Yeah people are more up their own holes and full of sh!t nowadays I would say.

People have been giving out about "young people these days" since time immemorial.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

Are you kidding - just "up the road" we had shootings and bombings on a near daily basis because of religious/tribal hatred. "Peace walls" constructed to stop kids lobbing bricks and petrol bombs at people's homes. Etc. Can't blame any of that on the internet. It's hatred learned from the cradle.

Was I brought up in the North? No. Was I talking about northern Ireland? No. So was I blaming northern Ireland's problems on the internet? No. So would you go away with your irrelevant rubbish.

The amount of times you get people quoting you on boards with a completely irrelevant reply to what you actually said.

People have been giving out about "young people these days" since time immemorial.

I didn't say young people. I said people. Again, irrelevant rubbish. Reading what you want to read rather than what was actually said.

• Advertisement

The troubles up north were one of the reasons the economy here was so grim in the 70s and 80s, you might think it didn't affect you but it did. It's not a coincidence that tourism and US investment here both took off after the ceasefire

I read "Yeah people" as "Young people" so yeah, you got me there :rolleyes:

But a substantial proportion of people have always been f**king idiots. They just didn't have the means to let everyone know before...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The troubles up north were one of the reasons the economy here was so grim in the 70s and 80s, you might think it didn't affect you but it did. It's not a coincidence that tourism and US investment here both took off after the ceasefire

Do you think my post was inferring there was never division between people pre internet? No I said it ramped up divisiveness between people which I and I'm sure a lot of people believe to be true. Now you're waffling on about economics when we were discussing divisiveness. More irrelevant rubbish yet again.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

yep, but back then you had the troubles, you had huge unemployment, mass emigration, the RC church had a vice like grip on the country too

so on balance i'd rather live in the ireland of today

You now have
    • huge unemployment
    • mass emigration - if it's ever allowed again
    • the medical establishment have a vice like grip on the country with Tony Holohan as the new pope
    • Can't travel more than 5km
    • People ratting on each other and shaming each other publically

I think on balance the 70s and 80s were better. You might have been broke but at least you could have some fun.

Do you think my post was inferring there was never division between people pre internet? No I said it ramped up divisiveness between people which I and I'm sure a lot of people believe to be true. Now you're waffling on about economics when we were discussing divisiveness. More irrelevant rubbish yet again.

LOL the irony at you complaining about divisiveness on the internet, then posting the last few posts of yours... why the aggression?

LOL the irony at you complaining about divisiveness on the internet, then posting the last few posts of yours... why the aggression?

Ah I see. You spout sh!te and when I call you out on it rather than just leaving it or admitting I'm right you come back with more irrelevant sh!te and when I call you out on it again and you've no come back you go down the why the aggression route.

Maybe think before you quote people and waffle irrelevant rubbish next time.

• Advertisement

You now have
    • huge unemployment
    • the medical establishment have a vice like grip on the country with Tony Holohan as the new pope

I think on balance the 70s and 80s were better. You might have been broke but at least you could have some fun.

ah come now, you're not comparing like with like....these are exceptional times at present - we're in the middle of a pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You now have
    • huge unemployment

You forgot to mention internet induced melodrama.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ah I see. You spout sh!te and when I call you out on it rather than just leaving it or admitting I'm right you come back with more irrelevant sh!te and when I call you out on it again and you've no come back you go down the why the aggression route.

Maybe think before you quote people and waffle irrelevant rubbish next time.

Mod:

Let's move on folks seeing as you can't seem to discuss the matter civilly

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You love snow :) Me too. I'll be delighted if we get a nice thick covering of it.

Speedsie wrote: »
    We were very concerned about CFCs and the hole in the Ozone layer and acid rain in the 80s.

Did those problems go away or did the Greenpeace types just change priorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

Did those problems go away or did the Greenpeace types just change priorities?

Well cfc’s were phased out and the ozone layer has consequently been improving since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You now have
    • huge unemployment

a0084a0320f408b78230b5d4f2ae0fda.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

One thing I definitely don't miss about the 80's is the smoking which was everywhere. Smoking on the bus, on the train, in pubs, cafes and restaurants. I remember smoking was allowed in the canteen in LIT as far back as 1998 when I was there. I'm glad to see the back of it.

and smoking in cinemas, you'd come out with your clothes smellin rank and your eyes bloodshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You love snow :) Me too. I'll be delighted if we get a nice thick covering of it.

It's grand for a day or two. But it quickly loses its charm.

I remember the 82 snow. We had a great time as kids. We would play The Empire Strikes Back. :D

I also remember the parents absolutely hating it after a while.

'Where Eagles Dare' was on tele that year. As soon as it ended we all got our toy guns and went out to kill each other.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 watup

People had eyebrows on their cheeks

and boils on their necks, and smelt bad, personal hygiene wasn't high up in people's priorities back then

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and boils on their necks, and smelt bad, personal hygiene wasn't high up in people's priorities back then

and ringworm. I remember a neighbouring family having it. awful looking stuff.

and hair lice was another thing that did the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

and hair lice was another thing that did the rounds

I remember a leaflet that was distributed to primary schools circa mid 80s about headlice. It had this illustration of a young girl in dungarees with shortish curly hair and she seemed to be crying. There were these little black things crawling down her forehead that presumably were supposed to represent headlice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Also rotten teeth and walking difficulties.

As a kid I would see a lot of people, many not even middle aged let alone elderly, walking with great difficulty. People in their 20s and 30s with terrible limps.

You don’t really see that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Also rotten teeth and walking difficulties.

As a kid I would see a lot of people, many not even middle aged let alone elderly, walking with great difficulty. People in the 20s and 30s with terrible limps.

You don’t really see that now.

Yep, rickets? Also old men without limbs.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yep, rickets? Also old men without limbs.

And old women with moustaches. I remember vividly seeing an old woman with a full on 'tache in Roches Stores on Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

riclad wrote: »
    Many people had aerials on the roof in order to get bbc and itv, also you could
    use a satellite dish to watch TV before
    Sky TV was available .
    Before sky TV people had cable TV.
    People had game consoles nes and the super nes
    Every house in rural areas had large TV aerials on the roof

People in rural areas still have aerials on the roof

Advertisement