Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I remember them in Eason's window display, about £100 a pop.

Horrendously expensive. The last time I remember seeing them was in Tower Records mid 90s and they were still around £70 or so.

It's amazing how the price of television series & films has come down. I remember when The Sopranos came out on VHS in 2000 and the first season was £50 - boxes of them piled in HMV and they were flying out.
    Going back to the 1980s, there was terrible value if you wanted to collect series like The Prisoner or Doctor Who. Three episodes or so on a tape that cost close to £20.

Or when DVDs first appeared in Ireland - 1998 - and things like The Wicker Man and Fight Club were £40 each (2 disc editions).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Many people had aerials on the roof in order to get bbc and itv, also you could
    use a satellite dish to watch TV before
    Sky TV was available .
    Before sky TV people had cable TV.
    People had game consoles nes and the super nes
    Every house in rural areas had large TV aerials on the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I remember we had the only bbc hook up on the road and all the neighbours piling in to watch some Barry McGuigan fight, the house was full, great times.

On this thread on a whole, I’ve a nostalgic memory of the 80s. We never went abroad but seen every artifact, monument and power station ireland had to offer. I live in the country so never really seen the dilapidation that I see now in pictures. We lived outside playing and that whole thing about going home when the street lights came in was certainly true for me.
    We were dressed well, extremely well feb, all home cooked meals. We were never rich but I certainly didn’t know it.
    Bedrooms were for sleeping and reading, you don’t miss the internet or mobiles when you never had them. Projects were completed by using an encyclopedia... every house had a set and greese proof paper for copying the pictures. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gogo wrote: »
    Bedrooms were for sleeping and reading,

amongst other things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Caquas

gogo wrote: »
    I remember we had the only bbc hook up on the road and all the neighbours piling in to watch some Barry McGuigan fight, the house was full, great times.

On this thread on a whole, I’ve a nostalgic memory of the 80s. We never went abroad but seen every artifact, monument and power station ireland had to offer. I live in the country so never really seen the dilapidation that I see now in pictures. We lived outside playing and that whole thing about going home when the street lights came in was certainly true for me.
    We were dressed well, extremely well feb, all home cooked meals. We were never rich but I certainly didn’t know it.
    Bedrooms were for sleeping and reading, you don’t miss the internet or mobiles when you never had them. Projects were completed by using an encyclopedia... every house had a set and greese proof paper for copying the pictures. Good times!

Very true but hard to explain to the younger generation.

The facts are grim: the 80s were an era of political and economic failure in Ireland - record unemployment, mass emigration returned, PAYE workers were robbed, the North was a festering sore, the Pro-Life Amendment was a constitutional car-crash, the Coalition bungled the Divorce referendum. I could go on....

And yet, in many ways the 80's paved the way for the 1990s which, I would argue, were the pivotal decade in Ireland's recent history i.e. it tranformed our society, our politics and economy. And, despite everything, the 80s had youthful energy and a spirit of fun and adventure which made it a playground for youngsters.

David McWilliams made a lot of money peddling "The Pope's Children" - a great title but it gets the demographics totally wrong. The 80s were the decade when Ireland's birth rate began its dramatic fall to barely replacement level. Those who entered their teens in the late 80s were blessed. The Celtic Tiger had arrived with ample opportunities for them as they came out of college in the mid-90s (when, for the first time in our history, a majority of school-leavers went on to higher education). So it is not surprising if that generation look back through rose-tinted glasses at a decade which, objectively, was a disaster for this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

fryup wrote: »
    amongst other things ;)

Facts! I’m one of five 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was doing a clear out of the home house a few years ago and found and old paper with the TV shedule from 1979, started around 3pm and finished at 11.30.

Combined with the fact that most houses had no oil heating its no wonder most people born in the 70s have quite a few brothers and sisters :D

sure there was no rubber johnnies back then you had to use cling film or a crisp packet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

sure there was no rubber johnnies back then you had to use cling film or a crisp packet

Or nothing at all, fella in my class had 14 brothers and sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Plastic bags were the job until the levy came in.

• Advertisement

fella in my class had 14 brothers and sisters.

same here there was a guy in my school from a family of 14 and the thing is they lived in a tiny cottage, god knows what the sleeping arrangements were like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Chart music was out of tune due to analogue instruments used. Now it's all digitised and soulless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

iamstop wrote: »
    My main memories of 80s Dublin:

The lights in town at Christmas
    Switzers windows at Christmas too
    Spending way more time outdoors than kids seem to these days. You'd know pretty much every kid in about a mile radius (grew up in Old Bawn, Tallaght) and you played big group games like Kick The Can, Red Rover, Crocodile Crocodile and Rounders. Those were the mixed games. The usually lads only games were stuff like Heads and Volleys, Lives, 5 A side and other football based games.
    Lots of climbing trees. Especially during conker season.
    Used to look forward to school trip and sports day. Was also swimming lessons once a week for a while.
    The Ice Cream vans
    The Milkman delivering bottles and you'd leave the empties for him to take back.
    The paper boy coming around for collection. We used to get the Herald delivered.
    I vaguely even remember a coal man doing the rounds during the winter.
    I remember fireworks shows in the Phoenix Park that was somewhat synched up with a 2FM soundtrack.
    Ah yeah, the radio station wars. You'd love spotting the FM104 or 2FM vehicles buzzing around. Sometimes you'd get the free car window stickers.
    Beat on the Street, sponsored by 7UP who had Fido the dido.
    Zig and Zag, Zuppy, Ted and the rest of the gang.
    I remember when the Square was being built. And the Watergate park before it.
    Adventure playgrounds.
    "Help the Halloween Party" when you were looking for stuff to burn on the bonfire. Would start weeks before looking for rubbish and scraps of wood.
    Camping up in Larch Hill and all the stories of the various Banshee's, Mountain Men and Werewolves etc.
    Doing bag packing for the scouts to raise money for camping gear or trips etc.
    Back sales in school.
    I remember it was a big deal when the school announced an official tracksuit.
    Yellow reg no passies.
    If you burped you'd get Sixer Slugs.
    You'd bags the arse of someone's drink and have no worries drinking the 'backwash'.

It was just "Fido Dido"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

vriesmays wrote: »
    Chart music was out of tune due to analogue instruments used. Now it's all digitised and soulless.

Yeah try playing along with a live AC/DC album from the 70s and you’d struggle, digital tuners are more accurate than the ear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I remember them in Eason's window display, about £100 a pop.

£100 was probably the best part of a weeks wages back then. They were very rare things.

same here there was a guy in my school from a family of 14 and the thing is they lived in a tiny cottage, god knows what the sleeping arrangements were like

There were ten in the bed
    And the little one said,
    "Roll over! Roll over!"
    So they all rolled over and
    one fell out

There were nine in the bed
    And the little one said,
    "Roll over! Roll over!"
    So they all rolled over
    And one fell out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It was no so easy to get contraception, in the 70,s 80,s the church was very powerful,any new laws passed had to follow the policys of the catholic church
    condoms were not sold in every super market.
    Familys with 4-5 children were common .
    Nowadays couples maybe have 1 or 2 kids .
    ireland is now a multicultural country with a diverse population .
    there was no social media, no online forums, not many places to discuss
    lgbt rights or feminism .
    Young people left ireland to get jobs in the uk or america.there were pirate radio stations like radio dublin, very few programs played pop music before 2 fm came along as a response to the pirates .
    no one was getting bullied online or trolled in the 80,s .
    no there are so many tv channels , online streaming ,netflix,youtube
    its like media info overload.
    people worried about the cold war, nuclear war.
    no one in the 80,s talked about global warming .
    now , we have solar power, alternative power sources
    we can see the end of driving cars using diesel,or petrol .
    if you watch old tv program,s ,you,ll see people smoking everywhere.
    pubs, offices, shops .
    its a different world .

riclad wrote: »
    It was no so easy to get contraception, in the 70,s 80,s the church was very powerful,any new laws passed had to follow the policys of the catholic church

you couldn't get condoms at all until 1980. and then only with a doctors prescription. It was 1985 before you could buy them in a chemist without a prescription. it was 1993 before you could buy them outside chemists. Virgin Megastore in Dublin started selling them in 1991 and were taken to court for selling them. I bought my first pack of johnnies there.

riclad wrote: »
    Familys with 4-5 children were common .
    Nowadays couples maybe have 1 or 2 kids .
    ireland is now a multicultural country with a diverse population .
    there was no social media, no online forums, not many places to discuss
    lgbt rights or feminism .
    Young people left ireland to get jobs in the uk or america.there were pirate radio stations like radio dublin, very few programs played pop music before 2 fm came along as a response to the pirates .
    no one was getting bullied online or trolled in the 80,s .
    no there are so many tv channels , online streaming ,netflix,youtube
    its like media info overload.
    people worried about the cold war, nuclear war.
    no one in the 80,s talked about global warming .
    now , we have solar power, alternative power sources
    we can see the end of driving cars using diesel,or petrol .
    if you watch old tv program,s ,you,ll see people smoking everywhere.
    pubs, offices, shops .
    its a different world .

On the point in bold while not strictly global warming we did have the Montreal Protocol signed. While 7 year old me had no idea what that was I was very aware of what CFC's were and the effect they were having on the world. Also around then recycling was starting to be mentioned at school, and by the time I started in secondary school there were separate bins for cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

On the point in bold while not strictly global warming we did have the Montreal Protocol signed. While 7 year old me had no idea what that was I was very aware of what CFC's were and the effect they were having on the world. Also around then recycling was starting to be mentioned at school, and by the time I started in secondary school there were separate bins for cans.

We were very concerned about CFCs and the hole in the Ozone layer and acid rain in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Collecting used glass mineral bottles to bring to the shop for the 10p refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I miss those days. It's not as bad as portrayed. I miss my Spectrum 48k. I miss having just 2 channels. No mobile phones. You could go anywhere without being badgered by messages like 'Wr r u?'. I had no idea what my friends were up to every minute of every day, nor did I care. Today, people get anxiety if a friend doesn't post today's meal on Facebook or wherever. Simpler times, with hindsight.

Everything today is so instant and disposable in a way, remember going to a shop to buy a tape or cd or getting it from a friend and taping it. Today with streaming if something doesn't grab you in the first 30 seconds you skip it and never hear it again.

Some of my favourite albums are ones that did nothing for me on a first or even second listen. Some might say theres too many options out there now to waste time on something that doesn't grab you first time out and I've read interviews with artistes say that the skip phenomenon has had an effect on how they write.

I also miss the cd inserts with artwork etc. Honestly today with some new stuff I listen to I couldn't tell you what the band looked like or the names of the members.

Another thing was concert tickets going on sale 9am Saturday for most gigs. You'd work out meeting up with your pals at school on Friday to get tickets then head for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bet you don't miss waiting 5 minutes only to get R - Tape Loading Error

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I also miss the cd inserts with artwork etc. Honestly today with some new stuff I listen to I couldn't tell you what the band looked like or the names of the members.

Still plenty of new albums released on CD and / or LP - no need to miss out on artwork unless you choose to.

Or.....google?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So many things I do not miss. A terrible time in lots of ways. I much prefer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I miss those days. It's not as bad as portrayed. I miss my Spectrum 48k. I miss having just 2 channels. No mobile phones. You could go anywhere without being badgered by messages like 'Wr r u?'. I had no idea what my friends were up to every minute of every day, nor did I care. Today, people get anxiety if a friend doesn't post today's meal on Facebook or wherever. Simpler times, with hindsight.

If you look at life from around the mid 60s to early 90s, there wasnt that much findamental change, a kid from the sixties would recognise a lot of the stuff that was around in the mid 90s. Compared that to life from the mid 90s to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

are kids still allowed play football at break time in school. with health and safety and busier schools is there room to play.

i remember playing 45min of football every day in school during break time. i still have the football skills ingrained into me.

maybe thats why there is an obesity problem now compared to the 70s and 80s, all those hours of playing football really added up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

I thought the 80's and 90's were glorious. There's a bit of rose tinted glasses going on I'm sure but I think while there's definitely been great progress and improvements in people's lives in one sense I think society has lost it's way a bit. The internet has changed people a lot and not for the better I would say. It's ramped up division amongst people and meanness I would say too. There's less humility and way more people with a sense of entitlement. Yeah people are more up their own holes and full of sh!t nowadays I would say.

Advertisement