Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,185 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Going in to the video shop to rent a fillum or two. There were small local shops before Xtravision came along. Browsing the shelves trying to work out if a fillum would any good by the box cover.

Blueys under the counter, probably, too. I dunno as we didn't get a video until the 1990 world cup...

cj maxx wrote: »
    Nah that's not the 80's.
    That was just your house I'm afraid.

It was a lot of houses.
    Though the cane was amply used as discipline in national school . Bamboo sticks, the square trim from a desk and a slap were all used to 'discipline' me . It completely backfired though.

Metre sticks and Perri rulers. The teachers used to get the latter free after buying X boxes of crisps to flog to the kids.
    Kids used to detest Perri crisps because of those rulers - outside of the monopoly they had selling crisps in school (imagine that, today!) no kid would buy Perri crisps in "real life".
    Worst marketing move ever.

imme wrote: »

Some amount of complete gobshytes around in those days thinking they were famous!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It was later than the 80s, textspeak or txtspk.
    When mobiles were becoming popular, ejits would send texts with all the vowels removed like 'hw r u? r u gng fr pnts?'
    So cringey looking back on it. Thank God it died out after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Blueys under the counter, probably, too. I dunno as we didn't get a video until the 1990 world cup...

It was a lot of houses.

Metre sticks and Perri rulers. The teachers used to get the latter free after buying X boxes of crisps to flog to the kids.
    Kids used to detest Perri crisps because of those rulers - outside of the monopoly they had selling crisps in school (imagine that, today!) no kid would buy Perri crisps in "real life".
    Worst marketing move ever.

Some amount of complete gobshytes around in those days thinking they were famous!

That Paul Webb bloke was DJ Willie O'DJ with the Rubber Bandits

• Registered Users Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I'd like to buy co...co...co....cotton wool

There was a roaring trade in cotton wool in those days

combs as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

fryup wrote: »
    it was mayhem, typical of the laxed attitude at the time...health & safety?? pfft you would have been laughed at at the mere mention of it

here are so more pics from that shambolic night, you had spectators right on top of the italian bench, not to mention on side of the pitch...an absolute joke...god knows what the italians thought of us after that shambles

186020.jpg

DxXo-J1X4AA5uLk?format=jpg&name=small

I was there too. I was supposed to meet a girl from work at the entrance to the terrace but she was delayed by the crowds. I didn't bother waiting for her and went in.
    Met her next day at work and asked her how she'd got on. She said she managed to get in about 10 minutes before kick off and got a good vantage point. All was well until Ireland scored, when she nearly got crushed to death, or worse. She spent the rest of the match praying that Ireland wouldn't score again!
    An Italian journalist, referring to the poor state of the pitch, remarked after the match that "There was more grass on the terraces than on the pitch!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Count Down wrote: »
    I was there too. I was supposed to meet a girl from work at the entrance to the terrace but she was delayed by the crowds. I didn't bother waiting for her and went in.
    Met her next day at work and asked her how she'd got on. She said she managed to get in about 10 minutes before kick off and got a good vantage point. All was well until Ireland scored, when she nearly got crushed to death, or worse. She spent the rest of the match praying that Ireland wouldn't score again!
    An Italian journalist, referring to the poor state of the pitch, remarked after the match that "There was more grass on the terraces than on the pitch!":D

Like the AC Milan players giving out when they played Athlone Town in St. Mels Park that there was only one mirror in the dressing room!
    F.Y.I. .It was a 0-0 draw with John Minnock missing the most famous penalty in the clubs history. Athlone lost 3-0 at San Siro, three late goals

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

didn't Galway UTD's have a euro fixture that had to be played in a field in connemara ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

it was mayhem, typical of the laxed attitude at the time...health & safety?? pfft you would have been laughed at at the mere mention of it

here are so more pics from that shambolic night, you had spectators right on top of the italian bench, not to mention on side of the pitch...an absolute joke...god knows what the italians thought of us after that shambles

186020.jpg

DxXo-J1X4AA5uLk?format=jpg&name=small

Those pictures look like they're from an outdoor music festival in Lisdoonvara rather than an international soccer match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Edgware wrote: »
    As the song goes "the border is a way of life"

I know people in Dundalk who have online bank accounts North and South and have built up a nice sum of money just by transferring each way depending on currency rates.
    Handy way to make money when you have no immediate demand on the cash.

Whereas nowadays you can just use Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I wish I could say the same.
    We had a primary school teacher who thought he could beat knowledge into children.

Maths tables were tested every morning with anyone who made a mistake lined up to receive a stick, hard, across the fingers.

I would spend hours with family members learning the tables but the sheer terror of the moment meant that I mostly made mistakes and had to line up for punishment.

To this day, my mental arithmetic is terrible and I lay the blame firmly at the feet of Mr. O' Leary from St. Anthony's boys school, Ballinlough.

I never recall being beaten over disciplinary issues.

Same man was extremely religious and pious but seemed to take pleasure from beating children.

Some prick. Dead now, I assume. I often fantasised about intimidating him as an old man.

He wasn't the only one. He sounds like Joseph Divine of The Oblates School in Inchicore, exact same b*stard. Sorry we both went through that.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I wish I could say the same.
    We had a primary school teacher who thought he could beat knowledge into children.

Maths tables were tested every morning with anyone who made a mistake lined up to receive a stick, hard, across the fingers.

I would spend hours with family members learning the tables but the sheer terror of the moment meant that I mostly made mistakes and had to line up for punishment.

To this day, my mental arithmetic is terrible and I lay the blame firmly at the feet of Mr. O' Leary from St. Anthony's boys school, Ballinlough.

I never recall being beaten over disciplinary issues.

Same man was extremely religious and pious but seemed to take pleasure from beating children.

Some prick. Dead now, I assume. I often fantasised about intimidating him as an old man.

I think I had the same teacher as you in the same school. This was in the post corporal punishment days though in the early 90s but the guy would have been in the school during those times. He was a short guy with a menacing air.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think I had the same teacher as you in the same school. This was in the post corporal punishment days though in the early 90s but the guy would have been in the school during those times. He was a short guy with a menacing air.

I'd have thought that he's have retired by the 90s - I had him at the end of the 70s - but maybe, he was younger than I remembered. I had him in 5th class and I recall that when we were in 6th class, corporal punishment was outlawed.

That didn't stop us getting clatters and digs from teachers in secondary school, though. It just meant that formal physical punishment was replaced with detention. I wonder how long it took before people started taking seriously the fact that teachers were no longer allowed to hit children?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,185 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The only teacher we had who hit anyone after the ban was a chain-smoking alcoholic Christian Brother commerce teacher we had in first year, get your debit side or credit side wrong when he fired a question at you and it was a whack of the leather. He disappeared about halfway through the year and was never heard of again.

Like I said before, back in primary before the ban it was open season on kids - metre sticks, thick perspex Perri rulers, 3rd class teacher usually used a leather but kept a cane in the press in reserve and used that a couple of times, he also claimed to keep a metal bar in there :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We'd a wagon teaching us in the early 90s teaching in Primary school who wasn't too far removed from that type of stuff, she'd throw dusters at, grab ya by the collar or turn over your desk.

She once dug her Wedding ring into the side of my face, pushed it against the skin and started twisting her knuckle. I never told anyone, but that next morning my Dad dropped me to school, the only time he did so in my 14 years of education. He told me to wait in the car, about 15 mins later he came back out and told me to go to class.

She never said a cross word to me again after that. I've no idea how Dad found about it. Anytime I've tried to bring up the subject with him in the years since he fobs me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

yep it was madness could have easily been an irish Hillsborough

When was there ever an "Irish Hillsborough"?

Go on? Name one. In any sport?

Nearest I can think of is Bloody Sunday (The one in 1920) and there were extenuating circumstances for that.

Hillsborough was the nadir of English (or you might say British given the Old Firm situation) soccer culture. As inevitable as it was tragic.

As Nick Hornby said in Fever Pitch "You can blame the polic..if you like, but in my opinion, to do so would be to miss the point"

And in mine. We don't have Hillsborough Disasters over here. We're just not like that.

imme wrote: »

Jeez I remember some of those people.
    Yer mad wan who used to sing hymns and shout prayers at people outside the GPO was a fixture. The sort of loony you really miss when they're gone (as she is)

I remember that DJ fella from Trinity too. One of the notorious "Ents Clique" from the early 80s about whom I will say no more. The sort of person you don't miss when they move on.

And who could forget Horslips or The Brush? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had Self Aid.
    Like Live Aid but Ireland got to keep the money. I've no idea where the money actually went, mind, but it was a great day out!

Brush opened, as I remember.
    Elvis Costello, Boomtown Rats, Van Morrison, The Pogues, U2 and loads others most wouldn't know now - it was a great line up.

We'd a wagon teaching us in the early 90s teaching in Primary school who wasn't too far removed from that type of stuff, she'd throw dusters at, grab ya by the collar or turn over your desk.

She once dug her Wedding ring into the side of my face, pushed it against the skin and started twisting her knuckle. I never told anyone, but that next morning my Dad dropped me to school, the only time he did so in my 14 years of education. He told me to wait in the car, about 15 mins later he came back out and told me to go to class.

She never said a cross word to me again after that. I've no idea how Dad found about it. Anytime I've tried to bring up the subject with him in the years since he fobs me off.

Was this before corporal punishment was abolished in schools?

Sorry, I got that wrong, after it was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Did they start making cheese?
    We owe our farmhouse cheese industry to immigrants.

Yep. There was very little money to be had from it though. I remember using a curd knife back in the day when I was about 4

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Was this before corporal punishment was abolished in schools?

Sorry, I got that wrong, after it was banned.
    Afterwards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had a teacher that would still do that from time to time in 1996/7. North Kildare?

She should have been sacked

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

branie2 wrote: »
    She should have been sacked

Next to impossible.

Adding together everything I've been told about the teacher in my case she should never have been allowed teach at all. And this is why I'm extremely worried about allowing teachers to mark their own students leavings effectively this year....

A good teacher from that school had a big retirement party about 15 years after I finished, was paid tickets in and all (he didn't organise it, was someone else organising with a charge to pay for the room + get some crystal or whatever).

She was the only one of the teachers from my era that *didn't* turn up; and I later found out that one that did was dying of cancer at the time but still came because she wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The white Hiace van coming around once a fortnight and 3 films for a fiver, I think. And you had 2 weeks to watch them.

And you'd be lucky to come across one good film and two absolute dogs to watch because you paid for them so you had to watch them.

In Limerick we used to have the guy in the van selling the big bag of jellies. They used to nick the rejects from the jelly factory. Happy days.

L1011 wrote: »
    I had a teacher that would still do that from time to time in 1996/7. North Kildare?

No, south Offaly. Dromakeenan NS. A couple of miles over the Tipperary border from Roscrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

didn't Galway UTD's have a euro fixture that had to be played in a field in connemara ?

There was some top match on some coastal area. Either connemara, Scottish highland or one of the North Sea Islands.

No, south Offaly. Dromakeenan NS. A couple of miles over the Tipperary border from Roscrea.

Was always unlikely to think there'd only be one mad bat that bad really.

We had Self Aid.
    Like Live Aid but Ireland got to keep the money. I've no idea where the money actually went, mind, but it was a great day out!

Brush opened, as I remember.
    Elvis Costello, Boomtown Rats, Van Morrison, The Pogues, U2 and loads others most wouldn't know now - it was a great line up.

I remember it well. 1986, the day after the Trinity Ball. A moving effort to club together and end the scourge of youth unemployment in Ireland and prevent our children taking the emigrant boat.

Fantastic line up. As well as the above there was Rory Gallagher, Moving Hearts, Paul Brady, Chris Rea (Irish?) Freddie White, Christy Moore and the remnants of Thin Lizzy, minus Phil Lynott who had died a few months previously.

I watched all day.

Two weeks later I emigrated.
    Gone for 10 years.
    That was the 80s for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭georgina...c

Yes the 70s and 80s were a time in Ireland

Advertisement