Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    yep it was madness could have easily been an irish Hillsborough
    When was there ever an "Irish Hillsborough"?

Go on? Name one. In any sport?

:confused:

i said "could" have been, and yes it easily could have been ..look at the pictures, read the posts from people who were there that night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

i said "could" have been, and yes it easily could have been ..look at the pictures, read the posts from people who were there that night
    It could and indeed we were lucky in Croke Park too. Getting down the back of the Hill could be scary sometimes with conditions not unlike what happened at Ibrox

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

didn't Galway UTD's have a euro fixture that had to be played in a field in connemara ?

Twice. Most recent was on a GAA pitch that wasn't actually owned by the GAA hence Rule 42 didn't apply.

https://www.balls.ie/football/the-time-a-small-gaa-ground-held-a-european-cup-winners-cup-match-301051

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

branie2 wrote: »
    She should have been sacked

Shoud've been charged with assault.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

L1011 wrote: »
    I had a teacher that would still do that from time to time in 1996/7. North Kildare?

Begins with B?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

But there wasn't, was there?

Look, I'm all in favour of improved ground safety and for reducing the crush conditions that existed in many Irish grounds, and probably still do. I remember the insanity of negotiating the level-crossing gates at Lansdowne Road at big matches and how I, for reasons of my own mental health if nothing else, would detour around to the East Side of the ground despite approaching from the north west just to avoid that mayhem. Putting a tunnel under the rail track is the best thing the IRFU/FAI ever did.

But with rugby crowds and Irish soccer crowds, this never resulted in tragedy (unless you can name one that I haven't heard of) because people took account of the conditions and didn't behave like idiots. Which was no guarantee against a disaster happening, but greatly reduced the chances.

IF fans had ever charged from one side of the old south terrace at Lansdowne Rd to attack fans at the other. (a la Heysel)
    IF fans had ever charged for the exits at the old Havelock Square end.
    IF fans had boorishly ignored stewards requests to step back and stop pushing while the level crossing gates were closed...

..there might have been a fatal tragedy of proportions that had been experienced elsewhere.

But there wasn't. And the sort of fans who tend to visit Lansdowne Road, and all the various FAI and GAA venues across the country, deserve credit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

There was a match in maybe 1984 where there could very easily have been a crush on the Hill, I remember reading an article about it before. When I started going to matches, there were no barriers that I can remember in stadia I went to.

I was at the Smashing Pumpkins concert in the Point in 1996 where a girl died in a crush. I was on my way towards the front when the pushing started and I struggled to escape to the side. It was extremely scary that night as I have never in my life been in a room with so many drunken ignorant knuckle draggers who just wouldn't listen to the advice to move back

Accidents happen and police negligence takes place, its not that outlandish an argument to say that we could have had similar instances, particularly in the chaos of that Italian match

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There was a match in maybe 1984 where there could very easily have been a crush on the Hill, I remember reading an article about it before. When I started going to matches, there were no barriers that I can remember in stadia I went to.

I was at the Smashing Pumpkins concert in the Point in 1996 where a girl died in a crush. I was on my way towards the front when the pushing started and I struggled to escape to the side. It was extremely scary that night as I have never in my life been in a room with so many drunken ignorant knuckle draggers who just wouldn't listen to the advice to move back

Accidents happen and police negligence takes place, its not that outlandish an argument to say that we could have had similar instances, particularly in the chaos of that Italian match

I remember that incident very well. I was pretty into the Smashing Pumpkins’ music at the time - my third year in college - but for some reason wasn’t pushed on going to any gigs they did. The poor girl was only 17 IIRC and apparently it traumatised Billy Corgan and the other band members that they didn’t do any more gigs for quite some time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember all the others (don't forget smoking, ear defenders comedian, a few fire ones, 'fit to catch that bus' and the unforgettable one about rubella with the nun shouting 'BA!!!!'...)

But nuclear safety? Really? A TV equivalent of Bas Beatha? They had Protect and Survive films in the UK but they were officially top secret until a nuclear war was imminent. You wouldn't just slip that sort of thing in to fill a space in an ad break on a random Tuesday evening.

Dont forget rabies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Begins with B?

T.

There was probably one in every school back then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

My main memories-

Leprachans

Shamrock

Guinness

Horses running through council estates

Toothless simpletons,

People with eyebrows on their cheeks

Badly tarmacced drives

Men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings

Lots of rocks

Beamish

I think part of our post Italia 90's renaissance really was a belief that we could be more. As if visionaries did think

"ders mar ta Oireland, den dis".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

My main memories-

Horses running through council estates

Toothless simpletons,

People with eyebrows on their cheeks

Badly tarmacced drives

Lots of rocks

That's Longford 2021 you've just described.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My main memories of 80s Dublin:

The lights in town at Christmas
    Switzers windows at Christmas too
    Spending way more time outdoors than kids seem to these days. You'd know pretty much every kid in about a mile radius (grew up in Old Bawn, Tallaght) and you played big group games like Kick The Can, Red Rover, Crocodile Crocodile and Rounders. Those were the mixed games. The usually lads only games were stuff like Heads and Volleys, Lives, 5 A side and other football based games.
    Lots of climbing trees. Especially during conker season.
    Used to look forward to school trip and sports day. Was also swimming lessons once a week for a while.
    The Ice Cream vans
    The Milkman delivering bottles and you'd leave the empties for him to take back.
    The paper boy coming around for collection. We used to get the Herald delivered.
    I vaguely even remember a coal man doing the rounds during the winter.
    I remember fireworks shows in the Phoenix Park that was somewhat synched up with a 2FM soundtrack.
    Ah yeah, the radio station wars. You'd love spotting the FM104 or 2FM vehicles buzzing around. Sometimes you'd get the free car window stickers.
    Beat on the Street, sponsored by 7UP who had Fido the dido.
    Zig and Zag, Zuppy, Ted and the rest of the gang.
    I remember when the Square was being built. And the Watergate park before it.
    Adventure playgrounds.
    "Help the Halloween Party" when you were looking for stuff to burn on the bonfire. Would start weeks before looking for rubbish and scraps of wood.
    Camping up in Larch Hill and all the stories of the various Banshee's, Mountain Men and Werewolves etc.
    Doing bag packing for the scouts to raise money for camping gear or trips etc.
    Back sales in school.
    I remember it was a big deal when the school announced an official tracksuit.
    Yellow reg no passies.
    If you burped you'd get Sixer Slugs.
    You'd bags the arse of someone's drink and have no worries drinking the 'backwash'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wavyhair

I grew up in the 80s in a seaside village and remember walking to and from the beach barefoot on hot bubbly tar after bathing in your vest and knickers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

wavyhair wrote: »
    I grew up in the 80s in a seaside village and remember walking to and from the beach barefoot on hot bubbly tar after bathing in your vest and knickers!!

My vest and knickers?

My vest and knickers?

I know I'll have to give them back to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭saabsaab

wavyhair wrote: »
    I know I'll have to give them back to you!!

You can keep them they won't fit me anymore!

saabsaab wrote: »
    You can keep them they won't fit me anymore!

How many people's knickers did I have??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look at reeling in the years on rte.ie it was not depressing, people watched rte,itv, bbc ,listened to pirate radio or bbc radio, for pop music,
    there was no internet, no one was looking at smartphones or twiiter or getting bullied online.
    if you had a job ,you could buy a house, rents were very low compared with now .If you got a job ,it was long term,eg no gig part time jobs working for an app.life was simple .
    fashion in the 70s was awful, wide collars.flared jeans .
    people smoked anywhere, office ,pubs, shops s .
    if a woman in the civil service got married ,she had to retire .
    no one worried about global warming .
    everyone watched certain program,s ,top of the pop, s ,the late late ,
    When mtv started it was a big deal, music video,s on everyday.
    any singer that had a good video would have a hit .
    people bought cassettes, before cds were invented.
    a vcr cost like 200 pounds.
    no one went to a pub or a cafe and stared at phones .
    there were no trolls or online bullys .
    i think it would be great to have an online radio station, pop80,
    eg it just replays old pop music radio shows , the top 40 etc

Look at spotify, apple music ,etc theres so much music on release now
    its hard to know where to start.
    you dont miss what you do not have,
    no one was worried cos theres no internet,or i cant play call of duty online
    with voice chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭saabsaab

riclad wrote: »
    Look at reeling in the years on rte.ie it was not depressing, people watched rte,itv, bbc ,listened to pirate radio or bbc radio, for pop music,
    there was no internet, no one was looking at smartphones or twiiter or getting bullied online.
    if you had a job ,you could buy a house, rents were very low compared with now .If you got a job ,it was long term,eg no gig part time jobs working for an app.life was simple .

with voice chat.

Remember all that the 70s the decade that taste forgot so true. The car being broken into at night to steal the radio! The first VCR I had was around 300 pounds! but you could tape TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

with voice chat.

Think every generation looks back with fondness 30 or 40 years ago. Having said that I know i have more in common with my fathers upbringing been a kid/teenager in the 70/80s than I do with my own childrens.
    As a kid I was told I never had it so good, didnt realise it at the time but yeah maybe some truth to that...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

no one worried about global warming
    Actually back then global cooling, in particular of Europe was a concern. That's before the still existing fear of nuclear war throughout that peaked and then receded in the mid 80's. Then there was the fear associated with the oil crisis, electricity blackouts(though that was far worse in the UK), and rampant inflation, while wages remained pretty stagnant. By the 80's unemployment was a major problem and the young were looking into the barrel of the dole office or the airport and university places were very constrained. The Troubles were also in full flow.
    Because there were no choices. Dublin and some bits of the east could at least get the UK stations so had more choice, but the rest of the country were stuck with RTE.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Wibbs wrote: »
    Dublin and some bits of the east could at least get the UK stations so had more choice, but the rest of the country were stuck with RTE.

Anyone within 20 odd miles of the border could get all the UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Laserdiscs came out in the 70s

branie2 wrote: »
    Laserdiscs came out in the 70s

Nobody in Ireland could afford them. Only ever saw them on Tomorrow's World or in a magazine, never in a shop here.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

iamstop wrote: »
    I vaguely even remember a coal man doing the rounds during the winter.

Horse drawn of course!
    I remember fireworks shows in the Phoenix Park that was somewhat synched up with a 2FM soundtrack.

One New Year's, late 80s, the corporation organised this massive laser show, some went into town specially to see it others went up the mountains.

Of course there was a total power failure and nothing happened
    Ah yeah, the radio station wars. You'd love spotting the FM104 or 2FM vehicles buzzing around. Sometimes you'd get the free car window stickers.

The real radio station wars were years before - Radio Dublin, Sunshine, Q102, Kiss FM, Nova. Three of those names are back now but nothing to do with the old pirate stations.

You'd bags the arse of someone's drink and have no worries drinking the 'backwash'.

If you were eating an apple someone would always say "Giz yer butts" :eek:

Riclad in the early 80s a video cost over £500 which is why most people who had one rented it. Gradually got cheaper over time but would have been mid 90s before they hit the £200 or so mark

Instead of online bullies there were people who would beat you up if you went to the wrong school, wore the wrong clothes, or liked the wrong bands. Or just because they could

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Instead of online bullies there were people who would beat you up if you went to the wrong school, wore the wrong clothes, or liked the wrong bands. Or just because they could

and which is worse i ponder....todays online bullying or the hiding you'd get from yesteryear ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Nobody in Ireland could afford them. Only ever saw them on Tomorrow's World or in a magazine, never in a shop here.

Virgin & HMV stocked them in the 80s and 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I remember them in Eason's window display, about £100 a pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,125 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All this is terrible in retrospect. You don't miss what you have never had, so if limited tv is what you are used to, then usually its ok. The 70s and 80s were an improvement on the couple of decades before, that's what you notice, not so much what you don't have that hasn't arrived yet.

Advertisement