Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Does anyone remember Dark Towers? We had to watch it in school in the 1980s. That house / castle scared the hell out of me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Inevitable when an act gets popular with a young teen audience, after 18 months or so they've moved on to the next thing.

Well, I would have to challenge that. I remember the 80s and you had dedicated cure heads and the like. Im friends with a guy in his 50s who still idolises Thin Lizzy.

(I could be missing context from earlier posts).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well, I would have to challenge that. I remember the 80s and you had dedicated cure heads and the like. Im friends with a guy in his 50s who still idolises Thin Lizzy.

Doesen't everyone idolise Thin Lizzy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Dark Towers? We had to watch it in school in the 1980s. That house / castle scared the hell out of me.

I don't. But did it come up on a recent Memorial Device twitter thread?

(they are a great one to follow for 70s/80s household nostalgia).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Taylor swift could release an album
    every 2 years if she wants to, she and Adele will be selling
    albums for years to come
    Dua lipa and the weekend have real musical talent and some of their music
    is influenced by 80s music trends
    There have always singers who have 1 or 2 hits and are forgotten
    There's good music and songs being made still
    I think the 80s were special in that a pop rock group needed to tour for years and be
    able to play to a high standard
    Many songs now are written by 3 writers
    and the music is made using software on
    a laptop using samples
    no need to record real people playing a guitar or playing real drums
    The 90s was the last decade when there was rock music in the charts
    No one under 40 seems to be making rock
    music anymore
    If you look at old top of the pops you,ll
    see a wide range of genres pop rock rap etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tdf7187 wrote: »
    My recollection is that in Dublin there was a lot of graffiti around, and areas that were and are quite central were quite run down.

the only graffiti i remember is the H Block slogans, Brits Out, IRA, INLA, No Extradition etc etc

you really had to be careful what you said back in those days, if you said anything remotely pro-english round my way you would have been lynched

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fryup wrote: »
    the only graffiti i remember is the H Block slogans, Brits Out, IRA, INLA, No Extradition etc etc

you really had to be careful what you said back in those days, if you said anything remotely pro-english round my way you would have been lynched

ACAB was always quite popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cjfogarty

Spot on.
    One of the most eagerly anticipated boxing matches ever. As it wasn’t starting until 3.00 or 4.00am (can’t remember which), RTE 1 decided to screen The Deer Hunter once the Late News had aired. In those days, closedown normally took place around midnight so this was a rare treat to watch ‘tv through the night’. Quite a few schoolboys stayed up and most of us watched The Deer Hunter. Unfortunately the movie broke down half way through and RTE re-screened it the following night. The fight wasn’t bad either.

Maybe this was a regional thing in Ireland but I remember that night slightly differently. Yes the movie broke down. I remember that clearly. But I think RTE restarted the film the same night. I distinctly remember watching it twice on the same night. Bloody traumatised me that film as I was only 12. Me and the old fella had set up camp in the living room to watch the fight. He fell asleep while I watched the first 80 minutes of the film twice over and learned all about Russian roulette. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Of course there were dedicated fan bases, but when an act became very popular with 13-14yo girls in particular they were a very fickle audience and also tended to ensure that the act wasn't taken seriously by everyone else.

e.g. Teardrop Explodes, great early 80s band somehow got very popular with the teen girls for a while and probably didn't do their career any good.

Life ain't always empty.

Extradition would be too hard for them to spell

For years near where I grew up there was a slogan on a wall in huge letters, STOP TORCHOR IN H-BLOCK :rolleyes:

Guy I know imported a secondhand Triumph motorbike from the UK in the early 00s, had to take the union jack badges off it. The ones imported and sold here directly didn't come with the badges that every other country in the world gets...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Guy I know imported a secondhand Triumph motorbike from the UK in the early 00s, had to take the union jack badges off it.

Where I grew up, we had a similar issue with the then much desired Reeboks as they had them embroidered onto a little fabric panel alongside the brand. They were usually inked over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm actually amazed the rear lights on new Minis aren't smashed in certain areas to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm actually amazed the rear lights on new Minis aren't smashed in certain areas to this day

Isn't it only British imports have the Union flag theme?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cml387 wrote: »

Could be, plenty around but a huge volume of cars are UK imports.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The state can't build cheaper, building standards today are light year's ahead of what the councils threw up as acceptable

Its pointless to use those times as an example for today

Plenty of those houses are still around. Many on the private market sell for good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Someone was speaking of watching late films on RTE and it breaking down.

On more than one occasssion the late film was terminated suddenly as the transmitter switched off automatically. Someone was supposed to override the automatics but they forgot. Then RTE would have to shamefacedly repeat the end of the film sometime the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

back when you had to actually go home to watch something as it played i recall the same episode of the sopranos two weeks in a row on RTE 2

No it's the default, if you don't want them you have to specify plain lights as an option but then you can't get the LED headlights...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/mini-cooper-s-review-go-kart-feel-provides-endless-driving-fun-1.3620744

Someone was speaking of watching late films on RTE and it breaking down.

On more than one occasssion the late film was terminated suddenly as the transmitter switched off automatically. Someone was supposed to override the automatics but they forgot. Then RTE would have to shamefacedly repeat the end of the film sometime the following week.

On one occasion when BBC NI closed down earlier than RTE, it automatically started relaying RTE's late film followed by the news and national anthem :pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76233389&postcount=1840

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Extradition would be too hard for them to spell

For years near where I grew up there was a slogan on a wall in huge letters, STOP TORCHOR IN H-BLOCK :rolleyes:

yep, and i bet you any money the guys who wrote those slogans supported British football clubs, read british newspapers and watched British TV..the hypocrisy back then was unreal (still is to a certain extent)

Whatever about Mosney, the Two and Two bars could be on the way back "within two years" it says here

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

No, but we were made to watch a video with Gerry Ryan rapping about the danger of cocaine, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

And then people complain about the Catholic Church!

Weren't they are hypocrites!

Fairly sure Gerry Ryan never raped any kids though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Have great memories of Two & Two and my Dad bringing them every Sunday night from the Golf Club

Would like to see them come back but their return has been mooted for many years now without progress

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To the OP, the 70's and 80's were grand for a child. Guards at the bus stop , national school, backed up by the branch backed up by the army. Normal stuff. If you got a clip from your teacher it was because you deserved it. Catching rabbits. Daddy at home because work was scarce. Very different to Dublin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hmmm...I know of Urneys chocolates and heard of the two by two bar. But I cannot for the life of me remember it, and I think I’ve a good memory. 🤨🤔

I’m 1975 vintage myself, when did their products go off the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's is Rock music is just not in the mainstream commercial channels.

A lot of mainstream music now is just cut and paste copies of older music just changed slightly. It's why they have to keep suing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Post edited by fatbhoy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Two & Two disappeared when I was in first year so 1984/1985.

Advertisement