Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Well, I was born in 76 and remember day trips in the early '80s with the family to Dublin zoo. The Train up at 6 from Tralee. A lunchbox with sandwiches and some Twix bars. A flask of tea and a can of cola or two. Mom did nearly all the planning and Dad was just grumpy about the cost of a Taxi in the big city. .

Don't blame your Dad for being grumpy about the taxi - it's barely a mile's walk from Heuston to the Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Well, I was born in 76 and remember day trips in the early '80s with the family to Dublin zoo. The Train up at 6 from Tralee. A lunchbox with sandwiches and some Twix bars. A flask of tea and a can of cola or two. Mom did nearly all the planning and Dad was just grumpy about the cost of a Taxi in the big city. .

Don't blame your Dad for being grumpy about the taxi - it's barely a mile's walk from Heuston to the Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭malinheader

Watching rte last night. Ireland v Russia 1974,Dalymount park. Think its called the shed end. Rusty corrugated roof covering the stands.probably a hundred or so supporters walking over it and sitting on it to watch the game.

Commentator during the game says. Alot of supporters congregated on the roof above the stands now. Not very safe but what a view of the game.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Babooshka wrote: »
    We had a fruit and veg man who came in a van
    We still have a fruit & veg man. Well, not me but he parks outside my house at 8 every Friday evening and calls into my next door neighbours for their weekly order.

I don't know how he's making any profit but the last time I bought anything from him (about 10 years ago), it was extremely cheap. I was trying to hand him more money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That little guy in the black waistcoat always creeped me out.

I thought it was Ken Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Fiat cars with "Guaranteed Irish" badges affixed :confused:

Ooor Tee Eee, Nuacht, De Angelus, Dallas, big hair, tight jeans, platform shoes, moustaches, Big Tom & the Mainliners, massive perms, unemployment, Charlie Haughy, Priests & Nuns, Bib Geldof, the mailboat, Troubles up North, Raleigh Choppers, plimsolls, Dock Martins, Gay Byrne, Dickie Rock, Thin Lizzy, Garda Patrol, stockings, beards, polythene, peat briquettes, cigarettes, cigarette smoke (everywhere), spitting, gobbing, Disco balls, Shay Healy, Eurovision, pot noodles, Bewleys, Smithwicks, Guinness, contraception NO, divorce NO, Sex Yes, the Mini Metro, Ford Zetor tractors, Farmers journal, broken down buses, Mass, bin lids & bangers ......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Watching rte last night. Ireland v Russia 1974,Dalymount park. Think its called the shed end. Rusty corrugated roof covering the stands.probably a hundred or so supporters walking over it and sitting on it to watch the game.

Commentator during the game says. Alot of supporters congregated on the roof above the stands now. Not very safe but what a view of the game.!!!

ireland v world champions italy in 85

186024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes, FIAT had an assembly plant on the Kylemore Road.
    In fact many major manufacturers had plants in Ireland because before EU entry importation of fully assembled cars incurred an eye watering duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,944 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Catholic church is really just a multinational, and a very wealthy one, and it pays no tax at all anywhere.

It's not as if we only started having good players then... you heard of Liam Brady?
    We were absolutely robbed in the '82 qualifying campaign.
    You could pretty much guarantee in every away game that we'd have a perfectly good goal disallowed for no reason anyone could make out, and the opposion would be let have a dodgy goal stand or get a dubious penalty.
    I remember watching us on TV playing in Brussels in 1981, defintely large bundles of Swiss francs being exchanged over that one..

I’ve heard of Liam Brady :rolleyes: but it takes more then one very good player with a handful of others across a squad and a qualifying campaign to bring success....

The campaigns for ‘88 and ‘90 had us boast scores of players playing and achieving in the top echelons of world football and their respective leagues..

Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge, Niall Quinn, Packie Bonner, Chris Morris, Mick McCarthy, Kevin Sheedy, Chris Hughton..

By my thinking were 2 players in the squad who were not playing in top division football...Gerry Peyton at Bournemouth, David Kelly at Walsall.

In 1982 while you also had the likes of Stapleton and Brady we were calling on the likes of...

Mickey Walsh,
    Pierce O'Leary
    Fran O'Brien
    John Devine
    Jerry Murphy

Whose mark on International football wasn’t quite as indelible as the aforementioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

fryup wrote: »
    ireland v world champions italy in 85

186024.jpg

Think that was a friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ooor Tee Eee, Nuacht, De Angelus, Dallas, big hair, tight jeans, platform shoes, moustaches, Big Tom & the Mainliners, massive perms, unemployment, Charlie Haughy, Priests & Nuns, Bib Geldof, the mailboat, Troubles up North, Raleigh Choppers, plimsolls, Dock Martins, Gay Byrne, Dickie Rock, Thin Lizzy, Garda Patrol, stockings, beards, polythene, peat briquettes, cigarettes, cigarette smoke (everywhere), spitting, gobbing, Disco balls, Shay Healy, Eurovision, pot noodles, Bewleys, Smithwicks, Guinness, contraception NO, divorce NO, Sex Yes, the Mini Metro, Ford Zetor tractors, Farmers journal, broken down buses, Mass, bin lids & bangers ......

Most of those things were still around well into the 1990s and many still are today.

The 70s and 80s in Ireland? Well, there was a sky above me, ground under my feet, and water was wet!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

What was it like in the 1980's in Ireland?

I have seen pictures, video and my god it looked like a depressing place. :eek:

Grey, delapidated, hopeless.

What was it like? How did you get by without internets, wheelie bins, toilets...?

Would you go back if you could??

*Might as well throw in the 70's too for people of that vintage.

Got by in the first half of the 90s as a young teenager just fine without the internet. Or wheelie bins. I was a child in the 80s, so it didn't really make any difference.
    I also got by and still get by without bottled water. The biggest con of them all.
    I'd have hated to have been a young adult in the 80s in Ireland especially if you knew what the social scene was like in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Strumms wrote: »
    In 1982 while you also had the likes of Stapleton and Brady we were calling on the likes of...

Mickey Walsh,
    Pierce O'Leary
    Fran O'Brien
    John Devine
    Jerry Murphy

Whose mark on International football wasn’t quite as indelible as the aforementioned.

We still should've qualified though, and came close despite the dubious refereeing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Think that was a friendly.

It was a friendly. Italy were World Cup winners in 1984. The place was packed and you could pay at the gate. No control on numbers. Typical F.A.I. incompetence. We came in from the School End free, the big gate was pushed open and we piled up on the bank. I didnt like what I saw was happening so I told the lads I was leaving. We pushed our way out and ended up in The Hut for the evening

Edgware wrote: »
    It was a friendly. Italy were World Cup winners in 1984. The place was packed and you could pay at the gate. No control on numbers. Typical F.A.I. incompetence. We came in from the School End free, the big gate was pushed open and we piled up on the bank. I didnt like what I saw was happening so I told the lads I was leaving. We pushed our way out and ended up in The Hut for the evening

Going to an Ireland match in those days often was a bit of an adventure. The south terrace at Lansdowne was full of lunatics, people often didn't bother going to the toilets and pissed on the terrace and at halftime a circle was opened in the crowd and money thrown in, if you went for the money you got punched and kicked, that was the half time entertainment. If Ireland scored because of the lack of barriers you could be in the middle of the terrace (south terrace was big)and be swept down in a crush to the bottom and then back up, it was like being a bottle on the ocean. Leaving the ground could be difficult with the crush outside you would be picked up off your feet and the breath squeezed out of you. I was a kid and it was bad, I would hear other kids screaming and crying thinking they were taking their last breath, those were the days.

Granadino wrote: »
    Got by in the first half of the 90s as a young teenager just fine without the internet. Or wheelie bins. I was a child in the 80s, so it didn't really make any difference.
    I also got by and still get by without bottled water. The biggest con of them all.
    I'd have hated to have been a young adult in the 80s in Ireland especially if you knew what the social scene was like in other countries.

The 80s were pretty good in Dublin, there was a good social scene for young people. Lots of drinking and drugs if you wanted, lots of parties and clubs. Lots of sex but not much money but what you don't have you don't miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Exactly, and they were nearly always voiced by the distinctive tones of Bill Golding "rabies kills, agonisingly! ". They were designed to get your attention and stood out from regular adverts.

When you hear the Air Attack Warning you and your family must take cover!! Wonderful optimistic messages from top of the pops Thursdays 730pm

I remember shopping in Dublin mid 70s my grandmother getting us to cross the road when she'd see a NI registered car parked. Similarities there with the fear of Isis in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

beauf wrote: »
    I can remember getting an overnight ferry to Liverpool and having a cabin to sleep in. Mostly went to Holyhead. Did that a lot. Haven't been on a Ferry in a very long time.

Yes, you are very right there. The ferry was a blue and white B&I boat. You got on at 9pm and off at 7am ish. Then a bus to Liverpool Lime Street and the clickety clack train to London. Off the train at Euston and onto the tube. Them were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Nothing open on Sundays. TV one channel land didn't start until about 6 in the evening and closed before 12. Kids collecting glass bottles to use as petrol bombs up north. Country pubs packed with cars outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Churches were packed at Mass times

• Advertisement

It was a friendly. Italy were World Cup winners in 19841982. The place was packed and you could pay at the gate. No control on numbers. Typical F.A.I. incompetence. We came in from the School End free, the big gate was pushed open and we piled up on the bank. I didnt like what I saw was happening so I told the lads I was leaving. We pushed our way out and ended up in The Hut for the evening

yep it was madness could have easily been an irish Hillsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I don't really get why this thread has gone 168 pages for? If so many people didn't like the 70's and 80's, then why continue to indulge in those memories?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

What was it like in the 1980's in Ireland?

I have seen pictures, video and my god it looked like a depressing place. :eek:

Grey, delapidated, hopeless.

What was it like? How did you get by without internets, wheelie bins, toilets...?

Would you go back if you could??

*Might as well throw in the 70's too for people of that vintage.

Imagine spending your whole childhood thinking that's normal. 😁
    We still had fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

denismc wrote: »
    I remember the news from the 80's was pretty full on,
    You had;
    Shergar,
    Hunger Strikes,
    Kidnappings,
    The Border Fox
    Bombings every other day
    Kerry Babies,
    Moving Statues,
    Charlie Haughy
    Cold War shenanigans.

These days Serena Wiliams throwing strops on a tennis court is what passes for news, what dull times we live in.

Those were the days eh when we had Proper News.
    Or just , The News.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

1982 :)

I was at that game as well, Paul McGrath's Ireland debut. My father and I came in from the North Circular, and it was madness there. We stayed until half time and decided that it was just too scary and went home. How people weren't killed that night it a mystery to me, it was a disgrace how many they let in. Even more annoying because we actually had tickets for the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

If I was born 30 years earlier I am sure I would have died young as I would have used the troubles as an escape method to die rather than suicide. I think being born earlier would have been better as I went down the education route and ended up on the employment scrap heap anyway so if I was young in the 70s I would have done a trade like what most rural men did so I would have had a more stable life. It was probably easier to emigrate back then too, you hear of men who moved to America to be a builder, nowadays you would need to have a high tier job to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Zaph wrote: »
    1982 :)

I was at that game as well, Paul McGrath's Ireland debut. My father and I came in from the North Circular, and it was madness there. We stayed until half time and decided that it was just too scary and went home. How people weren't killed that night it a mystery to me, it was a disgrace how many they let in. Even more annoying because we actually had tickets for the game.

Sorry 1982 World Cup winners Italy. Who could forget Paolo Rossi and Trap's pal Tardelli?

You could buy international tickets at the little shop beside the Rovers grounds in Milltown.
    And for All Ireland day just pay cash at the Hill 16 gate or Canal End.
    As one lad said when the games became all ticket. "the scam starts higher up"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭malinheader

Mammy the teacher gave me a slap at school today.
    Whack!! And wait till your father gets home your going get worse than that. 1980s home education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Sorry 1982 World Cup winners Italy. Who could forget Paolo Rossi and Trap's pal Tardelli?

You could buy international tickets at the little shop beside the Rovers grounds in Milltown.
    And for All Ireland day just pay cash at the Hill 16 gate or Canal End.
    As one lad said when the games became all ticket. "the scam starts higher up"

The Dublin v Galway final in 1983 put an end to the pay at the gate at finals. The GAA got a warning of what was to come at the Leinster final between Dublin and Offaly when loads broke in at the canal end. There was fighting all around Croke Park at the semi final between Dublin and Cork. Crowd control was non existent - the handful of cops on duty were expected to referee 70000 people at a match.

• Advertisement

I don't really get why this thread has gone 168 pages for? If so many people didn't like the 70's and 80's, then why continue to indulge in those memories?

to paraphrase Mrs Doyle.......

"maybe we like the misery" :p

Advertisement