Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, I was born in 76 and remember day trips in the early '80s with the family to Dublin zoo. The Train up at 6 from Tralee. A lunchbox with sandwiches and some Twix bars. A flask of tea and a can of cola or two. Mom did nearly all the planning and Dad was just grumpy about the cost of a Taxi in the big city. The train trip up was a highlight. Dublin Zoo, all I can recall was the snake pit don't remember the rest. We would not be home till 10-11 pm. Not the worst of times. During Summer we had 6 weeks in the bog for turf and another two cutting hay in the meadows. School was blaa and we cycled everywhere on old patched up bikes. I will not dis the old days.

Dan.

The Dublin to Liverpool ferry is still 8:00 hours long.
    http://www.poferries.com/eu/liverpool-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    The BBC and I.T.V. used to have "schools and colleges" programmes on weekday mornings. It must have been a service to the national curriculum in British schools.

So,one morning in the seventies , I'm off school in Ireland (holy day) ,eating my cornflakes , home alone at ten a.m. watching some hospital programme.

The next minute,there's a screaming woman ,legs akimbo , blood and mess everywhere and out pops a crying baby. Fcuk me, it must have been sex ed. for secondary schools in Britain.

I've never forgotten that moment. Some days you go to bed knowing your little world has changed for ever.

I remember this too. It would have been about 85/86. I was sick that day. I remember a fanny about to explode. It was nuts for a 7 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I remember this too. It would have been about 85/86. I was sick that day. I remember a fanny about to explode. It was nuts for a 7 year old!

The same programmes repeated for years depending on the time of year. Most were boring. I first watched it somewhere between 75/77.

It was shocking,intriguing , a w.t.f. moment and then...so that's how I got here!

It's a Santa Claus moment , innocence lost but ,knowledge gained. A strange place for a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope you didn't have nightmares that night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Both decades were, to my experience, marked by high unemployment and high interest rates.

I wouldn't go back to them for any reason.

And alcohol. I know people who barely remember the eighties. Drinking your way through a recession seemed to be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    You'd read Oliver Twist in school, back then, and think, "what a spoiled little b*stard!"

:pac::pac: thanks - got a morning giggle outta that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Manach wrote: »
    We did not have to worry about Political correctness nor the presence of the presence of the state adverts saying how to behave.

Nah we had churchmen dictating our laws instead.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

L1011 wrote: »
    Road safety, water safety, alcohol consumption, power line safety; if we go back to the 70s you can add nuclear safety to it too

I remember all the others (don't forget smoking, ear defenders comedian, a few fire ones, 'fit to catch that bus' and the unforgettable one about rubella with the nun shouting 'BA!!!!'...)

But nuclear safety? Really? A TV equivalent of Bas Beatha? They had Protect and Survive films in the UK but they were officially top secret until a nuclear war was imminent. You wouldn't just slip that sort of thing in to fill a space in an ad break on a random Tuesday evening.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Well, I was born in 76 and remember day trips in the early '80s with the family to Dublin zoo. The Train up at 6 from Tralee.

I lived less than four miles from the Zoo, I got to go there all of twice :o

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And alcohol. I know people who barely remember the eighties. Drinking your way through a recession seemed to be the way to go.

Some things never change...

512903.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In beautiful weather like this people would cut the legs off old jeans and make them into shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In beautiful weather like this people would cut the legs off old jeans and make them into shorts.

It's 12c with an onshore wind.

:eek:

It's 12c with an onshore wind.

:eek:
    Well the summer so far I mean :p April was a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

O Domhnaill Abu playing on RTE radio 1 at 6.30am every morning until the news at 6.33.
    It is still played but now 5.30

Anyone remember William Conrad in "Jake and the fatman" in the mid 80s?
    And Abe Simpsons favourite Matlock..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Edgware wrote: »
    Anyone remember William Conrad in "Jake and the fatman" in the mid 80s?
    And Abe Simpsons favourite Matlock..

I remember Jake and the Fatman before the tv show - when it was a comic strip in the new york times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Curley Wurley bars were a foot long

We had proper summers where it was 45 degree's for 3 months

You could get 8 kids in an estate sitting in the boot and arm rests

House doors could be left open because no one ever got burgled

Ahh those were the days :)

I remember Jake and the Fatman before the tv show - when it was a comic strip in the new york times.
    It was a great time for cop and private eye shows.
    Streets of San Francisco
    Mannix
    The Rockford Files
    Barnaby Jones
    Matlock
    The Rockford Files
    and not a cop show, Then came Bronson.

All lovely cliches;
    anti authority disillusioned cops "following their gut"
    " I reckon he's hold up in the old Smith place out on 44"
    Mannix gets visited by an old army buddy

Edgware wrote: »
    It was a great time for cop and private eye shows.
    Streets of San Francisco
    Mannix
    The Rockford Files
    Barnaby Jones
    Matlock
    The Rockford Files
    and not a cop show, Then came Bronson.

All lovely cliches;
    anti authority disillusioned cops "following their gut"
    " I reckon he's hold up in the old Smith place out on 44"
    Mannix gets visited by an old army buddy

Remember Frank Cannon, the obese detective. They used to have him chasing criminals on foot every week :D

Remember Frank Cannon, the obese detective. They used to have him chasing criminals on foot every week :D

Cannon was played by William Conrad

He played the fatman in Jake and the Fatman after Cannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

L1011 wrote: »
    You clearly didn't actually watch TV, then. "public information" advertising was at a high in the 80s. Road safety, water safety, alcohol consumption, power line safety; if we go back to the 70s you can add nuclear safety to it too

Exactly, and they were nearly always voiced by the distinctive tones of Bill Golding "rabies kills, agonisingly! ". They were designed to get your attention and stood out from regular adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Men on the dole , prohibitive insurance costs, potholes, mayhem in the North and along the border. Bombs in England. Kerry Winning all Ireland's.
    The centenary cup ( great competition)
    I really don't get the nostalgia for the 80's. They were shyte.
    Highlight was the 86 world cup

D3V!L wrote: »

We had proper summers where it was 45 degree's for 3 months

You could get 8 kids in an estate sitting in the boot and arm rests

House doors could be left open because no one ever got burgled

Ahh those were the days :)

Well of course none of that is true

You could get a lot more than 8 kids into an estate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Just finished watching Cannon again on DVD. Great show

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cj maxx wrote: »
    Men on the dole , prohibitive insurance costs, potholes, mayhem in the North and along the border. Bombs in England. Kerry Winning all Ireland's.
    The centenary cup ( great competition)
    I really don't get the nostalgia for the 80's. They were shyte.
    Highlight was the 86 world cup

the music was great though, but yes it was sh!te - in ireland anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was born at the tail end of the 70’s so no recollection of it...

The 80’s seemed like a very religious time, moving statues, holy days, my parents were religious enough and everything seemed veery serious in religious terms..
    Religion was huge, whereby money and corporate dickheads call the shots now, a priest would have been as influential back then. Goings on at Ballenspittle gripping the nation and a priest built a big feckin Church and then an airport no less with a runway big enough for to land the space shuttle on in the middle of nowhere.

Kerry and Meath were sweeping the board in Gaelic football with the hurling being more competitive with five different counties triumphing over the decade.

We had a fair few good football players towards the end of the decade and that saw us qualify for Euro ‘88 with the Charlton revolution...a great start beating England, a 74th minute equalizer by the Russians put a spanner in the works and a later goal conceded against the Dutch and it’s underachievers must try harder and hello Dublin...

The Troubles were nightly news, you’d never get your head around the sight and sound of what misery was unfolding, almost weekly, sometimes nightly and for many of us, 80 minutes drive up the road only this mess of hate was unfolding..

Growing up a holiday was Westport, Ballycullane to visit friends or Tramore... foreign was almost off the map, unless religion was the catalyst... Lourdes, I’ve never known boredom like Qing for an hour, in the pissing rain, to light a candle.
    Did take a trip to New York in ‘87 and that was like another Galaxy... there was about half a school day on my return spent with me being quizzed about it.

Your car choice was simply whatever you could afford and that it wouldn’t rust... air conditioning was something you saw on Miami Vice...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Odd no mention of the CIE colour schemes. One chap mentions the old orange locomotives, but by God those CIE orange buses were horrid, even when they were clean. Which they normally weren't. God knows who chose the colour. The two-tone green buses after Dublin Bus split off from the rest of CIE were beautiful in comparison. I vaguely recall some of the open-rear-staircase cream and dark double-deckers as well, but they were on their way out.

Strumms wrote: »
    Religion was huge, whereby money and corporate dickheads call the shots now

Catholic church is really just a multinational, and a very wealthy one, and it pays no tax at all anywhere.

We had a fair few good football players towards the end of the decade and that saw us qualify for Euro ‘88 with the Charlton revolution...

It's not as if we only started having good players then... you heard of Liam Brady?
    We were absolutely robbed in the '82 qualifying campaign.
    You could pretty much guarantee in every away game that we'd have a perfectly good goal disallowed for no reason anyone could make out, and the opposion would be let have a dodgy goal stand or get a dubious penalty.
    I remember watching us on TV playing in Brussels in 1981, defintely large bundles of Swiss francs being exchanged over that one.

The Troubles were nightly news, you’d never get your head around the sight and sound of what misery was unfolding, almost weekly, sometimes nightly and for many of us, 80 minutes drive up the road only this mess of hate was unfolding.

People were totally desensitised to it, oh another bomb went off, a few people killed, we have the sports results after the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

D3V!L wrote: »

They just used to stretch the chomp bars further is all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Could you show me a metre?

Advertisement