Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Law Firm Milkrounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

Anyone hear back from AMOSS? Got a extra form to fill out from them nearly two weeks ago but haven’t heard anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

starbar91 wrote: »
    i must say - i'm absolutely lost as to what firms are looking for in interviews/apps? people in the same boat?

Absolutely. It's hugely frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lawj2727

Anyone hear back from AMOSS? Got a extra form to fill out from them nearly two weeks ago but haven’t heard anything since.

I'm the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Have you heard anything back?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

i must say - i'm absolutely lost as to what firms are looking for in interviews/apps? people in the same boat?

Baffling isnt it. Wonder how helpful having FE1s is. Imagine getting 8 and still not being able to find a contract.

• Advertisement

Baffling isnt it. Wonder how helpful having FE1s is. Imagine getting 8 and still not being able to find a contract.

I have 6 and no use so far, terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hi guys,

I'm a non-law graduate myself and am a bit lost with the milkrounds. I applied for a few of them, and have had one interview with Arthur Cox last week (which went horrifically - didn't like the group structure at all) and have McCanns next week. Still waiting to hear back from MHC and Matheson - think others in the same boat?

As McCanns is one-on-one, I'm hoping it goes a bit better. Does anyone have any advice/ tips on this?

This thread has helped me a lot so far so any advice would be really appreciated! :)

I have 6 and no use so far, terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kate Training 2018

Hi I have an interview with Philip Lee in the morning if anyone has any insight into what they look for. Also have one next week with Dillon Eustace if anyone has any insight.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kate Training 2018

Hi. I got a mail from them on Tuesday offering an interview. Have mine tomorrow morning. Did you hear back from them yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

This has been the one year that I have gotten a lot of interviews but I have spent the whole year grinding my ass off to try and improve my CV. If you’re still an undergrad I wouldn’t stress. Having FE1s is helpful, as is a masters or some real world experience in finance or law or another related field. Part time jobs help massively to fill CV gaps. If you’re still in college apply for opportunities like internships or study abroad if they present themselves. Volunteer, have interests outside of the regular things that people tend to list. Do the free course the law society offer online every year, be yourself fully on the application and show your personality as well as being professional. Make sure all of your applications are immaculate and don’t have mistakes or repetition or cliche. It’s crap that you have to work so hard to get a traineeship but if it’s something you really want to do I think that persistence comes through massively. If you have any other specific questions I’d love to try and help you out as someone who has a good bit of experience with all of this. Best of luck!

Hi guys,

I'm a non-law graduate myself and am a bit lost with the milkrounds. I applied for a few of them, and have had one interview with Arthur Cox last week (which went horrifically - didn't like the group structure at all) and have McCanns next week. Still waiting to hear back from MHC and Matheson - think others in the same boat?

As McCanns is one-on-one, I'm hoping it goes a bit better. Does anyone have any advice/ tips on this?

This thread has helped me a lot so far so any advice would be really appreciated! :)

I don't know what McCann's are looking for, I didn't get an interview. But from what I've experienced so far it's a personality test almost, you have to seem like someone they want to work with. Know your own CV inside out and if you have the names of your interviewer look them up and see if they've written any recent articles in the business post etc. just to show that you are interested in them and their company and want to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

fe1hunzo wrote: »
    This has been the one year that I have gotten a lot of interviews but I have spent the whole year grinding my ass off to try and improve my CV. If you’re still an undergrad I wouldn’t stress. Having FE1s is helpful, as is a masters or some real world experience in finance or law or another related field. Part time jobs help massively to fill CV gaps. If you’re still in college apply for opportunities like internships or study abroad if they present themselves. Volunteer, have interests outside of the regular things that people tend to list. Do the free course the law society offer online every year, be yourself fully on the application and show your personality as well as being professional. Make sure all of your applications are immaculate and don’t have mistakes or repetition or cliche. It’s crap that you have to work so hard to get a traineeship but if it’s something you really want to do I think that persistence comes through massively. If you have any other specific questions I’d love to try and help you out as someone who has a good bit of experience with all of this. Best of luck!

Thank you - but i have all the above & a number of years professional experience to boot! it's baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Thanks so much - will keep that in mind for sure!

I imagine for me also, while they have made it clear that there won't be any technical legal questions, I think I may be prepared for questions around why I am switching disciplines and why a career in law etc. - I'm sure they ask law graduates the same!

Anyone who was unsuccessful after interview with A&L, make sure to ask them for feedback. It was so useful and the lady I spoke to was absolutely lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

Anyone who was unsuccessful after interview with A&L, make sure to ask them for feedback. It was so useful and the lady I spoke to was absolutely lovely

That’s great. Will have to do this. Did you just email the recruitment team?

fe1hunzo wrote: »
    That’s great. Will have to do this. Did you just email the recruitment team?

Yeah I emailed the address at the bottom of the email I received! Grad recruitment something something

ByrneWallace interviews out by phone

• Registered Users Posts: 28 legaltraineex

ByrneWallace interview offers are being made by phone now. I just got the call there but declined the interview as I got lucky with A&L and accepted that offer.

• Advertisement

Aoibhin511 wrote: »

was it after 4pm they called you??

was it after 4pm they called you??

I got the call at 10 past 4.

I got the call at 10 past 4.

thank you! looking like another PFO on its way to my inbox :pac:

Congrats on your TC offer btw!! huge achievement.

ByrneWallace interview offers are being made by phone now. I just got the call there but declined the interview as I got lucky with A&L and accepted that offer.

How much have a&l offered

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    How much have a&l offered

Salary wise or trainee places?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Have you gotten your contract yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

The physical contract in the post etc..

kasey0123 wrote: »
    The physical contract in the post etc..

I haven't yet! Just the draft in an email

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Thanks so much - will keep that in mind for sure!

I imagine for me also, while they have made it clear that there won't be any technical legal questions, I think I may be prepared for questions around why I am switching disciplines and why a career in law etc. - I'm sure they ask law graduates the same!

How do you know McCanns aren’t asking legal questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

Does anyone know what the ByrneWallace interview process is like? I know it’s a panel interview with competency based questions but does anyone have any insight into what type of questions are asked? Also is it one or two rounds? Thanks

Advertisement