Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Law Firm Milkrounds

Options
  • 12-09-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

It's that time of year, so I thought I'd start the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SB2020

Eversheds due today. How are people finding the applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 legaleagle_123

Hey, anyone have any idea what the story is with applying for Maples? been checking their website every few days but can't see anything about how to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DublinLaw

Anyone received an acknowledgement from Philip Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 legaleagle_123

How did people find the Eversheds interview?

And anyone heard back from any other firms?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 9292

Any word from AnL / Cox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

AnL mails are out...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

A&L mails are out! Anyone have any idea what the interview process entails? I’ve never had a trainee interview before or really any major legal interview so I assume I’m in for a grilling...- any help would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lawstudent1916

Ac and A&L out

• Registered Users Posts: 17 law8

Has anyone ever done the Arthur Cox group interview ? It’s my first time getting an acceptance, so scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

law8 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done the Arthur Cox group interview ? It’s my first time getting an acceptance, so scared.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm hoping the email is true where it says the only preparation you really need to do is reading up on current affairs.

From what I heard the groups generally consist of six candidates. The two partners start by asking everyone to introduce themselves and then the commercial case study has five or six issues to discuss. Once all the issues have been discussed the partners ask the group to discuss two/three "topical" questions.

Anyone heard back from any of the other firms? I've only heard from A&L and Cox so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Hey, anyone have any idea what the story is with applying for Maples? been checking their website every few days but can't see anything about how to apply.

They've changed it, not open till January

Anyone know when we'll here from Matheson or Frys?

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Anyone know when we'll here from Matheson or Frys?

I would expect by the end of this week. They're never more than a week after Cox or A&L from what I've heard.

I heard back from LK Shields this evening. Interview tomorrow morning... Not much time to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

I heard back from LK Shields this evening. Interview tomorrow morning... Not much time to prepare

Didn't apply there myself this time but out of interest have you any FE1s? I spoke with a rep of theirs at a careers event who said they like people to be out of college a while and have a few different experiences so they can be sure you're set on a career in corporate law so just wondering if that's holding true. You hear so much that this firm wants or likes this and another wants that so it's interesting!

Didn't apply there myself this time but out of interest have you any FE1s? I spoke with a rep of theirs at a careers event who said they like people to be out of college a while and have a few different experiences so they can be sure you're set on a career in corporate law so just wondering if that's holding true. You hear so much that this firm wants or likes this and another wants that so it's interesting!

Nope I'm final year, they did say to me on the phone that they often hire people with Masters or have done paralegal work somewhere before but that they also higher final years who haven't a clue what area they want to go into really. They just recommended that I do an extra seat before starting fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 keightlaw

can I ask when you applied? I applied over the weekend but have heard nothing yet.

keightlaw wrote: »
    can I ask when you applied? I applied over the weekend but have heard nothing yet.

I think I sent mine in late last week, they're calling people though so I'd say it'll take them a while to get through everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Anyone interview with A&L? I found them very nice and friendly. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

Hey everyone - for trainee interviews, is it a good idea to send a follow up email to thank the interviewers for their time etc? Are people doing this?

• Advertisement

Anyone interview with A&L? I found them very nice and friendly. Fingers crossed

i've to interview this evening with this, can i ask did they ask any really difficult questions or try trip you up? also was it an hour? Starting to get pretty nervous

I think I sent mine in late last week, they're calling people though so I'd say it'll take them a while to get through everyone.

I interviewed with them this week. They were really nice, however I found they definitely want you to know exactly what area you want to go into, that's what i got from it anyway, i was talking about how great the variety of practice areas they have are and all my various interests etc and it was obvious they want you to really know what area you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

kasey0123 wrote: »
    i've to interview this evening with this, can i ask did they ask any really difficult questions or try trip you up? also was it an hour? Starting to get pretty nervous

You'll be fine, honestly :) they don't try trip you up at all

Did anyone have their Arthur Cox interviews today ? How did they go? ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Legalmate

Eversheds offers are out.

law8 wrote: »
    Did anyone have their Arthur Cox interviews today ? How did they go? ☺️

I had mine. I found the discussion quite interesting actually. Honestly, you just need to relax and think of it as a tutorial/seminar. It's even that bit easier because there was no requirement to do a load of reading like you would in a tutorial.

When they said in the email about keeping up to date on current affairs, they weren't kidding. They also don't shy away from politics so be aware of that. But honestly I think they just want to see if you have opinions and can argue them reasonably well. Like they don't actually care if you are left or right wing, as long as you make good points.

Smile and try to enjoy the conversation. Don't be afraid to laugh or tell a joke if it comes naturally (and isn't controversial obviously). It will make you seem at ease and confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Anyone hear from McCann's?

TCPIP wrote: »
    Anyone hear from McCann's?

No nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 keightlaw

Anyone apply to DE and receive no email back that they have received your application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

keightlaw wrote: »
    Anyone apply to DE and receive no email back that they have received your application?

Yep! Still nothing from Fry's/Matheson either.

Advertisement