Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just walked past a Muse world tour poster no mention of Ireland and a gap in their tour for picnic.

I would LOVE Muse to play but I feel like if they were booked for it they would've been in the first announcement as they would be headliners. Do people think there's a headliner still to be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,133 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I would LOVE Muse to play but I feel like if they were booked for it they would've been in the first announcement as they would be headliners. Do people think there's a headliner still to be announced?

Blur were announced last minute a few years ago (I can NEVER remember who played when) and I would consider them to be equally as big?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

everlast75 wrote: »
    Blur were announced last minute a few years ago (I can NEVER remember who played when) and I would consider them to be equally as big?

Not to be pedantic, but Blur were added to the lineup in May of that year (2015). Prodigy were more last minute being added in August last year.
    So it's hard to know when we'll get our new additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,133 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not to be pedantic, but Blur were added to the lineup in May of that year (2015). Prodigy were more last minute being added in August last year.
    So it's hard to know when we'll get our new additions.

So, not only can I not get my years straight, I cannot get my announcement order straight :(:(

BTW - I could really go for an announcement right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭endainoz

Fatfrog wrote:
    We were speculating about Kaleidoscope and who their target audience is, while its clear they're going after family camping market, the line up is piss poor, It's like a GAA fundraiser 'Packie' from the local pub would put together. I wonder if they're getting much traction?

I'd disagree with that, it's demographic is clearly families and people 30+ that possibly wouldn't go to any other festivals this year. It's a huge collection of mostly Irish acts and do think it should be pushed as such. To be fair it doesn't really interest me as any one I'd like will be playing elsewhere this year and I'll see them anyway. Considering it took them so long to announce this, I'd say it's come together fairly well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    why? what are the terms of the clause in their contract with POD?

Exclusive Irish festival appearance according to ATN publicity. Billed now for FF so that’s patently untrue.

Other bands have technically got around it by billing themselves under a different name or via a surprise set. The Cure’s gig at Hyde Park last Summer was a European exclusive. They then played Meltdown as Cureation 25.

I’m not sure that the Fontaines will play EP but I’d say there’s a fair chance of it happening.

They're still just contracted to POD though so...? I get what you're saying - it's no longer exclusive and there are other ways around it but given that both of these shows are the same promoter, it is much easier to find a way around any potential contractual issues than it would be to add in a second, rival promoter.

And given that POD lost one their top acts at very short notice for a festival that they are pushing A LOT lately (anyone get the idea that maybe it hasn't sold well? I'm flooded with Facebook ads and all my ATN emails include links to buy tix to FF too), they probably just opted to dial up an act that they knew, had connections to and accepted that it might annoy a few people on the exclusivity basis but also might shift a few extra tix instead of leaving a blank space on the FF bill two weeks before it is due to happen.

A few years ago, Fontaines would have been nailed on for EP but its not the only show in town any more. Plenty of very suitable acts have appeared elsewhere in the last few years and that's gonna continue to be the case when there are several other large festivals to play. The upside to a busy festival market is lots of choice. The downside is that acts are shared all over the place - you could make a cracking August Bank Holiday weekend festival out of ATN, Beatyard and Indiependence but the acts are all split now because of the competition. Same is happening all across the summer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

A few years ago, Fontaines would have been nailed on for EP but its not the only show in town any more. Plenty of very suitable acts have appeared elsewhere in the last few years and that's gonna continue to be the case when there are several other large festivals to play. The upside to a busy festival market is lots of choice. The downside is that acts are shared all over the place - you could make a cracking August Bank Holiday weekend festival out of ATN, Beatyard and Indiependence but the acts are all split now because of the competition. Same is happening all across the summer.

Fontaines DC played EP last year, but otherwise I agree with you. Pity its such a crammed weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Muse would be awesome but would suck up a massive chunk of budget that could go on a about a dozen quality mid range bands.

A priest summed that up beautiful one day just before the wimmin were about to launch into a decade of the Rosary when he was asked to lead. "well we can have one almighty Hail Mary or 12 medeicore ones".
    They went with one : )

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

A few years ago, Fontaines would have been nailed on for EP but its not the only show in town any more.

It's not the only show in town anymore but it's still the main one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

endainoz wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that, it's demographic is clearly families and people 30+ that possibly wouldn't go to any other festivals this year. It's a huge collection of mostly Irish acts and do think it should be pushed as such. To be fair it doesn't really interest me as any one I'd like will be playing elsewhere this year and I'll see them anyway. Considering it took them so long to announce this, I'd say it's come together fairly well.

For the cost of the early bird it's great value, and for me the location is just great as it's just on my door step.

The rates for Hidden Valley camping (just for camping) are.....

Example: 1 tent with 2 adults and 2 children is €36.00 per night in mid season that's €108 for the 3 nights. Kaleidoscope is €113

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Mucker46

BaZmO* wrote: »
    For the cost of the early bird it's great value, and for me the location is just great as it's just on my door step.

The rates for Hidden Valley camping (just for camping) are.....

Example: 1 tent with 2 adults and 2 children is €36.00 per night in mid season that's €108 for the 3 nights. Kaleidoscope is €113

Bought non-camping weekend ticket (better be buses from dublin) as do 90ish euro worth the chance. Defo not the strongest line up but enough to justify outlay. Still more to come so could get better but if lucky with clashes plenty to keep me amused in a field with some beer

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ficcss

HI,

Not sure if this is the form to ask but would you think there will be an issue with me bringing this to the pink moon camping as a charger for phones etc - I will be driving up so I can leave it in the car if needs be and use it when I need it.

Its the Phase 4-1 jump starter from halfords
    Cannot post the link or photo but its;

2 x 12V DC power supply sockets
    USB power supply that’s suitable for MP3 players, phone chargers, games consoles etc.
    LED work lamp for clear visibility

Fully insulated battery clips with 600mm leads
    17ah internal battery

Also anyone hoping for Gerry Cinnamon to be announced?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ficcss wrote: »
    HI,

Not sure if this is the form to ask but would you think there will be an issue with me bringing this to the pink moon camping as a charger for phones etc - I will be driving up so I can leave it in the car if needs be and use it when I need it.

USB power supply that’s suitable for MP3 players, phone chargers, games consoles etc.

17ah internal battery

Thanks!

Had one in Silk Road last year and no problem at all

Lasted the full weekend, and it'll be coming again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

HI,

17ah internal battery

Thanks!
    Just don't tell too many, imagine the queues outside your tent!
    People might wonder whats happening inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

HI,

17ah internal battery

Thanks!

Generators are on the banned list, but i have seen a few in the caravan / campervan area.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ficcss

Generators are on the banned list, but i have seen a few in the caravan / campervan area.

Not really a generator though more of a very big powerful battery pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Is that not a bit a wee bit overkill?

As stated - no different to a battery pack.

Generators are banned due to the requirement for liquid fuel or gas, which pose significant fire risk

Is that not a bit a wee bit overkill?

Tent with 4 people in it - gives power for all for the weekend

Snarky Snark Snark

true but a pair of 20,000 mAh would do the same (and fit in your pocket) i would have thought unless you had planned on just partying in tent for the weekend and running a dj rig off the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Fontaines DC played EP last year, but otherwise I agree with you. Pity its such a crammed weekend

And the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭rubick

true but a pair of 20,000 mAh would do the same (and fit in your pocket) i would have thought unless you had planned on just partying in tent for the weekend and running a dj rig off the thing.

"Got any jungle in, brah?"

Snarky Snark Snark

No, just.... no.

Speaking of which... any decent priced ones of these doing the rounds atm? Had a great one that has recently packed up and want to replace it before the festival season starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Speaking of which... any decent priced ones of these doing the rounds atm? Had a great one that has recently packed up and want to replace it before the festival season starts.

i was looking at some of the ones on this list
    https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-power-bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

HI,

17ah internal battery

Thanks!

That's very "nickable" if you ask me, which you didn't.

Snarky Snark Snark

i was looking at some of the ones on this list
    https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-power-bank

Have the Anker one at the top of their list (actually have 3 ankers), honestly cannot fault them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

let's see ... wH are the best way to measure.

22,000 mAh @ 5v = 110wH
    17,000 mAh @ 12v = 204wH

So its about half the same thing, but I get your point ... those 12 volt things are also a lot heavier.

Also bear in mind that the cheap 5v power banks rated at 22,000 are probably in reality much less than that. Anker is a good brand and usually close to the actual rating.

Edit for pedantics: The correct unit is Wh not wH ... I feel bad!

Snarky Snark Snark

cheap power banks are a pox on humanity and a waste of resources.

• Advertisement

cheap power banks are a pox on humanity and a waste of resources.

Agreed - happy to pay good money for one that works but they tend to be far more expensive in brick & mortar stores than online so always worth asking for tips!

For all the Amazon ones that don't deliver to Ireland - is Parcel Motel the solution? The Anker ones look great. My old one was Anker too and one of the ports just stopped working on it. Have a feeling it was water damaged but couldn't be 100% sure.

Advertisement