Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Connacht 47| Ospreys 39| Cardiff 47
    Treviso (H)4| Dragons (H)5|Scarlets (H)4
    Zebre (A)5| Cheetahs (A)1|Munster (A)0
    Cardiff (H)4| Kings (A)5|Connacht (A)1
    Munster (A)0| Cardiff (A)1|Ospreys (H)4

Connacht 60
    Cardiff 56
    Ospreys 51

The Cardiff vs Scarlets game in the next round is a very interesting one.
    Beating Treviso with our internationals back should be achievable.

Scarlets really need the points too, so will hopefully beat Cardiff. Treviso are going really well, will be a tough one but we should be winning that at home. Our game with Cardiff is the make-or-break one, that's an 8-point swing. Hopefully Munster know their fate before the last day and have nothing to play for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Scarlets really need the points too, so will hopefully beat Cardiff. Treviso are going really well, will be a tough one but we should be winning that at home. Our game with Cardiff is the make-or-break one, that's an 8-point swing. Hopefully Munster know their fate before the last day and have nothing to play for too.

Ideal scenario would be Connacht picking up ten points from next two games and Cardiff pick up none. That would mean any point at all at home to Cardiff would be enough.

Realistically though I could see Connacht getting 9 and Cardiff getting 5

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Is the game available on catch up anywhere? Can't see it on tg4, but I'm in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It will be on catch up on the premier player if you're in the UK. If you don't have Premier Sports have a flick through the schedule for Freesports on your EPG, they repeat most of the Pro14 matches during the following week free to air (often in the middle of the day or during the night when there's no other sport on). At the very least you'll get the Pro 14 extended highlights show free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over

That's the highlights there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    I said before the game that if we didn't win by at least 10 I'd be disappointed. What I was disappointed with was that Osprey's performance. They clearly didn;t give 2 ****s about it, and after the news and comments from Wales during the week I don't blame them.
    We can only play what's in front of us and what we did we did well. The only thing from our performance I would question is why persist with long line outs in that wind? More game intelligence lacking. This is a phrase I've used countless times throughout the years and it's unfathomable how much silly things like this can be done.

The Friend Zone
    Seems Stephan Fitzgerald’s three month loan is up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wegians89 wrote: »

Is he gone back? Was impressed with him overall, would rather hang onto him, but if Niyi is back then maybe he wasn't going to see much gametime anyway.

The Friend Zone
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Is he gone back? Was impressed with him overall, would rather hang onto him, but if Niyi is back then maybe he wasn't going to see much gametime anyway.

He put an Instagram saying he enjoyed the last few weeks out west, I checked then to see he only signed a three month loan deal on the 26th of December so by the time Connacht play next I’d say he’ll be on his way back down to muster. Unless Connacht mage to extend the loan.

Was really impressed with him myself. Think he’d still get game time in the run in for Connacht if extended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1103577274283188225?s=21

100% correct decision to not sign him but seeing him tear it up in Super Rugby is gonna be a bit sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Sevu Reece was on absolute fire for the crusaders this morning looked unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1103577274283188225?s=21

100% correct decision to not sign him but seeing him tear it up in Super Rugby is gonna be a bit sickening.
    This. We couldn’t sign him but what a sickener. Looks like he has unbelievable potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    The Irish got played good. The New Zealanders knew they could count on their holier than thou attitude and use it to get Reece out of his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Reece looked very good. Connect missed a trick tearing up the contract.

Mul, it's over
    Yeah_Right wrote: »

Presume there was a fair bit of IRFU involvement in decision. Couldn’t sign him regardless, hitting a fella wouldnt have been a problem but couldn’t sign a lad hitting a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

They didn't miss a trick. If anything, Connacht (Keane?) deserve huge credit for picking him out.

If he scores 50 tries this season it will still have been the right decision to drop him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They didn't miss a trick. If anything, Connacht (Keane?) deserve huge credit for picking him out.

If he scores 50 tries this season it will still have been the right decision to drop him.

Agreed. Connacht are all about promoting a family friendly experience and do great work around the province. We would've been opening ourselves up for a backlash.

So Connacht don't believe in giving young men second chances. If they commit a crime, they're done? I think an opportunity for redemption should always be offered after they've "done their time". Glad the Crusader gave him that opportunity.

Mul, it's over
    So Connacht don't believe in giving young men second chances. If they commit a crime, they're done? I think an opportunity for redemption should always be offered after they've "done their time". Glad the Crusader gave him that opportunity.

Without getting into a debate on second chances, can’t sign a guy who admits domestic violence. No more than the Paddy Jackson case, it’s just not possible from a commercial perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Mul, it's over

Connacht can employ those best suited to the values they aspire to. Every employer discriminates in the decision as to who they employ. As long as it's not contrary to the nine grounds (under Irish law) then that is their right.

As to second chances, I think it was obvious Reece would find a spot. It's not up to Conn to provide it if they felt he was unsuitable.

• Advertisement

IIRC Connacht were giving him a second chance. They knew about the charge when they signed him. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit; I am wrong, it happened after he signed

The Jackson Olding trial changed everything.

The NZRU would have done exactly the same and there's no debate about that.

(Signing Denis Coulson probably didn't help)

A year earlier, maybe even a year later, would have been grand.

Mul, it's over
    IIRC Connacht were giving him a second chance. They knew about the charge when they signed him. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The incident hadn’t happened when he signed for Connacht last May, it happened in July. Edit - Only saw your edit when I responded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

No they expect people who have signed a contract with the province to not assault their other half before they show up for their first day of work.

His punishment was losing his contract. Fair play to Reece he's got his second chance, and probably seeing the right people now, after starting from square one again. But Connacht made the right call and it sets the right precedent for what Irish rugby province expects from players signed to the club since the Jackson/Olding debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »

I expect him to be signed to Conn

You're probably right about about the Belfast trial having an affect on it. Unfortunately for Reece.

You're not right about the NZRU doing the same. I mean the gave him a contract. They also gave a 7s development contract to a guy who beat up 2 couples in the street a couple of years ago. They didn't tear up Julian Savea's contract.

I just the sanctimonious crap about how the club won't tolerate that sort of behaviour and values etc. It was PR. That is all. Irish clubs have had no issue signing wife beaters in the past and I am certain that Connacht have signed guys with convictions before and will do again.

You're probably right about about the Belfast trial having an affect on it. Unfortunately for Reece.

You're not right about the NZRU doing the same. I mean the gave him a contract. They also gave a 7s development contract to a guy who beat up 2 couples in the street a couple of years ago. They didn't tear up Julian Savea's contract.

I just the sanctimonious crap about how the club won't tolerate that sort of behaviour and values etc. It was PR. That is all. Irish clubs have had no issue signing wife beaters in the past and I am certain that Connacht have signed guys with convictions before and will do again.

The NZRU didn't have the fallout of the Jackson Olding trial. No one expected it to blow up like it did, but rightly or wrongly it sealed Reece's fate.

The NZRU are not stupid. If they were faced with the loss of sponsors and an incredible media backlash, they would do exactly the same. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    I am certain that Connacht have signed guys with convictions before and will do again.

Great, any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Just thinking earlier on NIQ signings for next year, the whole 5+1 thing isn't really adhered to still is it? As it stands for next year we have 4 on the books, all Ozzie's. Butler, Colby F, Godwin and Horwitz. I imagine we will sign at least 2 more? One forward and one back. But could we get more? It would be great if they could rustle up an IQ southern hemisphere player too, like Robertson McCoy was.

Am I right in saying in Paddy McAlister is our only signing so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

macslash wrote: »
    Just thinking earlier on NIQ signings for next year, the whole 5+1 thing isn't really adhered to still is it? As it stands for next year we have 4 on the books, all Ozzie's. Butler, Colby F, Godwin and Horwitz. I imagine we will sign at least 2 more? One forward and one back. But could we get more? It would be great if they could rustle up an IQ southern hemisphere player too, like Robertson McCoy was.
    Did you mean 4 + 1?
    4 Non Irish Eligible (capped)
    1 Non Irish Qualified (uncapped) Usually a 3 year deal project player, such as Aki, or Butler.

The 4 + 1 allocation seems to be the intended limit but it seems that if there is a good enough case to break the rule for the greater good of a province or the national team then it is not always enforced strictly, especially for Connacht as historically wouldn’t have had sufficient numbers of talented players coming through the academy.
    macslash wrote: »
    Am I right in saying in Paddy McAlister is our only signing so far?
    Yes.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2019–20_Pro14_transfers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Mul, it's over
    I am certain that Connacht have signed guys with convictions before and will do again.

Why didn't they keep him so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement