Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    The eagles matches won’t be televised by any chance ? Or by televised I mean the Americans won’t put up a stream ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Zebre are poor to be honest. They have 3 wins all season and none since October. The Cheetahs beat them by 15 in Zebre in January and they are relatively limited themselves. Zebre will have with nothing to play for but pride. Connacht will be playing for playoffs and top tier European rugby.

It’s not a complete gimme like the Kings at home or something but it’s very difficult to argue with the view that if Connacht cannot win the game, they have little business being in either the play offs or Heineken cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    The eagles matches won’t be televised by any chance ? Or by televised I mean the Americans won’t put up a stream ?

NESN have television rights for the series

Mul, it's over
    Craggy Rugby pod have a bit on it today. New England sports network covering
    It, didn’t have info on Irish availability of coverage or lack there of.

Interesting that Tadgh leader is captain of New England, they’re using this competition in prepartion to join Major Rugby next season or whatever it’s called.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

See post #74

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057806471&page=5

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    4 lads in squad v Wales is great to see, best since 5 in squad v Italy in 2016 as far as I recall, unlucky on Ultan, scrum falling apart last week when the subs came on didn’t help him I would say.

Chances are Murray and Sexton will play the full 80 or very close to it but would be brilliant to see Marmion and Carty partnership together at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    4 lads in squad v Wales is great to see, best since 5 in squad v Italy in 2016 as far as I recall, unlucky on Ultan, scrum falling apart last week when the subs came on didn’t help him I would say.

Chances are Murray and Sexton will play the full 80 or very close to it but would be brilliant to see Marmion and Carty partnership together at international level.

We had 4 V Italy with 3 starters Quinn, Ultan, Bundee and Jack

Mul, it's over
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    We had 4 V Italy with 3 starters Quinn, Ultan, Bundee and Jack

Good shout. That’s only a couple of weeks ago too, gonna blame the game being a snorefest on not remembering that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Heard before about concerns over Beirne's power at scrum time, we'll see on Saturday... Dillane was scrumming behind Porter(?) when he came on, hard to blame Dillane for the scrum woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    So we simply NEED to win the next 3, including Zebre AWAY where I'm not confident at all. Targeted game for Michael Bradley...

Why is this game specifically targeted for Michael Bradley?

I dont get why that would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Heard before about concerns over Beirne's power at scrum time, we'll see on Saturday... Dillane was scrumming behind Porter(?) when he came on, hard to blame Dillane for the scrum woes.

Porter wasn't playing

Mul, it's over

Wasn’t blaming Dillane at all, just meant that it is a real strength for Roux whereas Dillane strengths lie more in open play so if you concerns about scrum being negatively impacted by replacements in general Roux may make more seise.

It might not be related to scrum issues at all anyway, could be more to do with lineout calling.

The Friend Zone
    Tom Daly and Stephan Fitzgerald added to Connachts challenge cup squad, take it that Fitzgerald’s loan was extended

Wasn’t blaming Dillane at all, just meant that it is a real strength for Roux whereas Dillane strengths lie more in open play so if you concerns about scrum being negatively impacted by replacements in general Roux may make more seise.

It might not be related to scrum issues at all anyway, could be more to do with lineout calling.

As I said in the Ireland thread, horses for courses. This game could be very attritional. Roux will hit rucks and make tackles all day long, that's his strength. If we are leading in the second half and ball retention is vital, that's what he'll come on to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    Happy to see fitzgerald extended, good loanee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    freyners wrote: »
    Happy to see fitzgerald extended, good loanee

he wants to play for conn,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The Friend Zone
    i have 2 tickets for the bohermore enterance for the bennetton game, pm if needed,

The Friend Zone
    Good win for the eagles in America. Won 38-7, Conor Kenny was the motm. Scrum was dominant. Sob 3.0, moylett, lane, balaski, de buitlear and Copeland with the try’s.

Presumably we won't have Aki back this week, but we will hopefully have Carty, Dillane, Roux and Marmion available. Those four would really bolster the team for a vital game.

Anyone know a pub in London that might be showing it?

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Presumably we won't have Aki back this week, but we will hopefully have Carty, Dillane, Roux and Marmion available. Those four would really bolster the team for a vital game.

Anyone know a pub in London that might be showing it?

Roux be bundee getting rest weeks, everyone else available

So... Buckley, Delahunt, Bealham, Dillane, Cannon/Thornbury/Gallagher, McKeon, Fainga'a, Butler, Blade, Godwin, Healy, Robb/Daly, Farrell, Kelleher, TOH?

The Friend Zone
    Gallagher is out. Got a knock to the head playing for the Eagles in America

Gallagher is out. Got a knock to the head playing for the Eagles in America

Ah, didn't realise he was over there. He was never going to be available so. Is Thornbury fit?

The Friend Zone
    Pretty sure everyone who travelled with the eagles will also be unavailable for selection as they’re playing ulster in Boston tonight. Would mean the likes of Copeland, Mitchell and Connolly out

The Friend Zone
    Sunwolves gwtting axed from super rugby, but harsh on them and Japanese rugby tbh, but the kiwi ten playing for them Hayden Parker wouldn’t be a bad play for Connacht to pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Sunwolves gwtting axed from super rugby, but harsh on them and Japanese rugby tbh, but the kiwi ten playing for them Hayden Parker wouldn’t be a bad play for Connacht to pick up

You might be right but i'd be surprised if they were allowed since Horwitz is there. He hasn't played a lot yet and he's a young lad so I think it's worth reserving judgement until closer to the end of his contract.
    Even Jack was hit and miss before he became a multiple capped, 100% international kicker he is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    The squad is again captained by Joe Maksymiw who renews his half-back partnership with Peter Claffey.

Interesting selections going on out there apparently :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement