Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Supercell wrote: »
    Just a few dry not so windy days would do me at this stage, had enough of the endless rain and wind this month and last :(

looking promising from Christmas Day into New Years Day, that we may see far less in the way of wind and rain. I haven't seen the ground properly dry since October, so we really could do with a dry week.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

MJohnston wrote: »
    Already posted above

Not the same update. That's yesterday's. I posted Today's.

Yeah it's similar but today's update is even a little more certain on an easterly with snow along East facing coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Reversal wrote: »
    Not the same update. That's yesterday's. I posted Today's.

Yeah it's similar but today's update is even a little more certain on an easterly with snow along East facing coats.

You're right! Apologies, I read the second half and didn't spot the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

MJohnston wrote: »
    You're right! Apologies, I read the second half and didn't spot the differences.

The less changes to that outlook the better as we move towards 2019... fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Worst December I can remember. I think the heat wave during the summer has made my winter hate come sooner this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Dirty wet, mild, windy Atlantic muck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

lolo62 wrote: »
    Worst December I can remember. I think the heat wave during the summer has made my winter hate come sooner this year :(

Remember 2010 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Remember 2010 ?

Yes I sure do. It was brilliant;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/retailers-blame-alarmist-met-ireann-weather-warnings-for-drop-in-footfall-37641116.html

Just unbelievable. Irish Independent 'reporting' that Met Eireann's 'alarmist' warnings are affecting business.

These people really have no shame. Over the last couple of weeks, or should I say months, my newsfeed has been clogged with alarmist headlines about the weather from media outlets, including the Irish Independent, that blew any warnings given out by met eireann totally out of realm of realism and straight into stratospheric fantasy. But who do we blame, yep, not these all insightful and all knowledgeable journalists. :mad:

I'll say it again, and I don't care if I am banned, but these ****ers are the scum of the earth.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DEAR GOD! Thought the end of the world had come... HUGE thunderclap and now intermittent thunder and internet on and off...

Only once before in a long life have I heard th e like and that was up in the North Sea when TVs exploded and a telephone pole was shattered

So loud and sudden took me a minute to realise what it was and try to hide..

Was this forecast?

West Mayo offshore island..

Dark almost as night out here since 3 pm too. All quiet now but that was rather horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent lightning showing up near Achill Co.mayo in the past 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It knocked our power out.

Power went out but back now.

Literally the whole place, house, ground shook. Took me a minute to realise it was thunder.

One of my new wild er cats has been acting up all day, so she knew.

Terrible skies. and another loud deluge

ah mea culpa....

"A few bright spells and showers today. Showers will be frequent and some of them will be heavy with hail and thunder and lightning. Highest temperatures of 8 to 10 degrees in moderate to fresh southerly winds."

And look at the map!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

10 Day trend – What are the chances of snow this Christmas? 19/12/18

11jrzpl.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/retailers-blame-alarmist-met-ireann-weather-warnings-for-drop-in-footfall-37641116.html

Just unbelievable. Irish Independent 'reporting' that Met Eireann's 'alarmist' warnings are affecting business.

These people really have no shame. Over the last couple of weeks, or should I say months, my newsfeed has been clogged with alarmist headlines about the weather from media outlets, including the Irish Independent, that blew any warnings given out by met eireann totally out of realm of realism and straight into stratospheric fantasy. But who do we blame, yep, not these all insightful and all knowledgeable journalists. :mad:

I'll say it again, and I don't care if I am banned, but these ****ers are the scum of the earth.

The Irish Independent would make an status red wind warning out of a fart.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the dry conditions and high pressure looks like it may not be strong as originally thought during Christmas. There could be some showers over Ireland with a bit more of an Atlantic influence remaining near our west coast.

However it should still be considerably dryer than what we've been used to over the past 7 weeks. High pressure looks to be more dominant as we approach New Year's Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Irish Independent would make an status red wind warning out of a fart.

The Indo must be having a laugh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The big showers just keep on coming here near Tralee. Very big one with hail a few minutes ago with strong convective gusts. 11.6mm so far today and get a few more this evening I'd say. Feeling cold in the wind, the icy feel at the back of the neck especially as got caught in a few showers over the day!

ld2Cg2s.png

81zMNWX.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

You're actually being a bit too kind there. It's just a pity that a once-respected broadsheet has now chosen to deliberately swim with the bottom-feeders. Having said that, if the majority of the public are thick enough to believe what they read then why the hell shouldn't they print this clickbait? Ethics doesn't come into it, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Drove down the M7/M8 tonight torrential rain very difficult driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Drove down the M7/M8 tonight torrential rain very difficult driving conditions.

Yesterday after the rescue chopper went over a second time i called my neighbour to ask was all OK. He had been driving on the mainland when the storm hit and said how dangerous the roads were. Spot flooding etc.

Another night of deluges. I do not live in a solid-walled house but in what is really a glorified mobile home, made of insulated aluminium, walls, roof floor. There is no soundproofing, and gales and heavy rain make a fearful din ;) Certainly living closer to nature! When that thunderclap hit the whole structure shook!

Has not rained for hours, less wind and the sun is dazzling me through the window.... ;)

You're actually being a bit too kind there. It's just a pity that a once-respected broadsheet has now chosen to deliberately swim with the bottom-feeders. Having said that, if the majority of the public are thick enough to believe what they read then why the hell shouldn't they print this clickbait? Ethics doesn't come into it, apparently.

They are scapegoating.. gotta blame someone else for not doing well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »

The UK Met Office contingency planners for Jan-Mar 2019 certainly makes for some interesting reading especially how they reference solar minimum making an impact on the stratospheric Polar Vortex.

horrible day here in south Meath, raining/showers most of the day so far, very wet outside, dark and feeling chilly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible day here in south Meath, raining/showers most of the day so far, very wet outside, dark and feeling chilly.

Weird. Dry in Dublin. So far.

Advertisement