Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Weird. Dry in Dublin. So far.

You're lucky, lots of showers in my part of Dublin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

back to the old cold rain and wind out here.. time to light a candle against the encroaching darkness and snuggle down.. Walked at the oceanside earlier and a brisk, bracing wind off the water as I gathered an armful of good island turf...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Awful day in Donegal once again, looks like showers on radar but been near enough persistent moderate to heavy rain all day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the latest updates are showing that Christmas Day over Ireland will be mostly cloudy and mild, with temperatures of 10-12C almost nationwide, perhaps slightly cooler towards the north and Donegal. There is still a chance of some light drizzle in places.

The 26th and 27th is looking cloudy too with showers or light rain at times especially along Atlantic counties and temperatures reaching double figures in most places. Any rain shouldn't be too heavy, certainly lighter than downpours we've gotten used to.

The 28th to New Year's Eve looks similar, mostly cloudy and mild or very mild, temperatures possibly reaching 13C in places, light rain still can't be ruled out.

Unless there is breaks in the cloud, we are mostly looking at frost free nights. Looks generally bland and uninspiring weather for the festive period, but at least it won't be a washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    the latest updates are showing that Christmas Day over Ireland will be mostly cloudy and mild, with temperatures of 10-12C almost nationwide, perhaps slightly cooler towards the north and Donegal. There is still a chance of some light drizzle in places.

The 26th and 27th is looking cloudy too with showers or light rain at times especially along Atlantic counties and temperatures reaching double figures in most places. Any rain shouldn't be too heavy, certainly lighter than downpours we've gotten used to.

The 28th to New Year's Eve looks similar, mostly cloudy and mild or very mild, temperatures possibly reaching 13C in places, light rain still can't be ruled out.

Unless there is breaks in the cloud, we are mostly looking at frost free nights. Looks generally bland and uninspiring weather for the festive period, but at least it won't be a washout.

After six weeks of a deluge of wind and rain, we will take!! The main course arrives in January.........

D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

derekon wrote: »
    After six weeks of a deluge of wind and rain, we will take!! The main course arrives in January.........

D

hints of a cold spell setting in just after New Year's Day but we've seen them come to nothing twice already in the past few weeks so caution very much advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭esposito

Yuck!

Very unseasonable but what’s new eh. Hints it may get colder towards New Years? We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cloudy and mild into the foreseeable ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

esposito wrote: »
    Yuck!

Very unseasonable but what’s new eh. Hints it may get colder towards New Years? We shall see.

Heard someone else call it "unseasonable" today, but surely more Christmas days feature highs of 8-12, with overcast and damp than not 😆
    I'd actually say thats bang on average late December conditions...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Heard someone else call it "unseasonable" today, but surely more Christmas days feature highs of 8-12, with overcast and damp than not 😆

Average December is a bit colder than that. Temps in the teens are certainly pretty different from the long term average, but I guess that's sadly becoming the new average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Neddyusa wrote: »

I agree. This winter is no different than probably 30 of the now 38 winters that I’ve been alive so I really don’t get why people complain so much.
    It’s like the people in Alaska complaining that it’s always snowing in winter and they are sick of the cabin fever conditions or people in Malaysia complaining of the sticky hot conditions they have most of the year.
    Irish people must be well used to this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

No real cold in sight anytime soon, if the GFS is to be believed then our air source will be coming from Morocco for the last few days of the year. I know SSW takes a few weeks before it's felt in the models but I just have a bad feeling about this winter. Hopefully I'm wrong and some easterlies start showing up in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭esposito

kod87 wrote: »
    No real cold in sight anytime soon, if the GFS is to be believed then our air source will be coming from Morocco for the last few days of the year. I know SSW takes a few weeks before it's felt in the models but I just have a bad feeling about this winter. Hopefully I'm wrong and some easterlies start showing up in a few weeks.

I’ve a bad feeling too. I’m not getting my hopes up on the SSW because if I do I know it won’t happen (the SSW effects not being favourable to us)

Think I’ll book a trip to Sweden or Finland for a months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Calm , quiet morning and high hopes of getting across at last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I agree. This winter is no different than probably 30 of the now 38 winters that I’ve been alive so I really don’t get why people complain so much.
    It’s like the people in Alaska complaining that it’s always snowing in winter and they are sick of the cabin fever conditions or people in Malaysia complaining of the sticky hot conditions they have most of the year.
    Irish people must be well used to this now.

It’s been considerably wetter than usual recently.

In general storms die down before Christmas. Then they tend to amplify after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

It’s been considerably wetter than usual recently.

In general storms die down before Christmas. Then they tend to amplify after Christmas.

The app i have on my PC for weather, tells me that on this date it has rained 24 out of the last 30 years and its been pretty much like that every day for the last month,give or take a day or so.

Perhaps we have has more rainfall in total,but so called miserable days, i'm not so sure about that.

Stats for Dublin airport. Last few years.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

It seems to default to Athenry so click on Dublin airport - or whatever takes your fancy.

esposito wrote: »
    I’ve a bad feeling too. I’m not getting my hopes up on the SSW because if I do I know it won’t happen (the SSW effects not being favourable to us)

Think I’ll book a trip to Sweden or Finland for a months time.

I am not totally confident in this winter either, already it isn't a patch on this time last year when most of Ireland already had a decent fall of snow at this stage. The Atlantic is on fire this winter and we are totally depending on this SSW event to favour us. it's just a waiting game to see what happens. We're bound to see cold and snow at some point but I don't think it will be anything remotely like the greatness we got last February/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

For synoptics, we haven't done bad at all this season so far as one would think given the comments here. We had an easterly in November which rarely ever happens, it's just that the cold air wasn't there. We had a northerly in October which brought severe frosts to parts - Dublin Airport for instance had a record breaking October frost on the 30th.

Imagine if this November 20th synoptic was January instead of November.

gfs-2018112000-0-6.png?

We are approaching the stormiest part of the year on average (and when the Polar Vortex is normally at its peak) so if we see high pressure evident, I think we're doing good.

Well ok, but in that link i posted above November was worse than even 2015 in Dublin airport (and all of the last 5 years) for rain and sunshine.

November had 60% more rain than last year. More than 3 times the total of 2016. About 10% more than the miserable 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

First time in a while that it’s sunny and blue sky in cork city. Ah lovely.

another horrible day here in Meath, been dark and raining all morning, mostly the really heavy drizzle that soaks you, and then also some heavier bursts mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

another horrible day here in Meath, been dark and raining all morning, mostly the really heavy drizzle that soaks you, and then also some heavier bursts mixed in.

Same here in Dublin 5. Fits in perfectly in what has been a joke of a winter month so far.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We had an easterly in November which rarely ever happens, it's just that the cold air wasn't there.

I think many people in the east have forgotten about that November easterly as it brought nothing but relentless cold rain and for most people it would seem no different to the usual wet conditions from the Atlantic!

Those 4 days were incredibly wet here in Meath. We had a few weeks of really wet conditions before the easterly, then the easterly itself which was even wetter and the muck from the Atlantic ever since.

A dryer spell is very much needed at this stage before the SSW event hopefully delivers the goods later in January and February!.

I think many people in the east have forgotten about that November easterly.

Oh I would certainly not blame them, it was truly awful. Just showing how amazing the actual 500mb height synoptic was and also how unusual it was for November to see such a synoptic.

Gloomy day so far in Dublin 13 with some light to moderate rain. The past three days had good sunny spells with some showers from time to time after Tuesday morning which was similar to now.

Certainly one of the most boring Decembers I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I know we have a dedicated thread but this really takes the biscuit....

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/met-eireann-christmas-weather-forecast-13758033

Dublin looking well for the Winter solstice.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1076181790149275648

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Acccording to BBC weather, there are chances of viewing nacreuous clouds from Sunday for a couple of days thanks to a very cold portion of the polar vortex - hope they are visible to us too and not just the UK. Here's a pic I took from 2nd Feb 2016, there were really quite spectacular in person, almost UFO like!

Auf4PLF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Met Éireann going for 11-13 degrees Christmas Day. Not exactly what was being predicted here for the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Met Éireann going for 11-13 degrees Christmas Day. Not exactly what was being predicted here for the last while.

Predicted by who?

Advertisement