Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not for 8 more days?

IIRC theres something about the earths orbit as we approach perihelion in our Northern Winter that means that while the days continue to get shorter till the 21st, the sunrise and sunset time starts shifting later before the 21st. M.T. would be our man for explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not for 8 more days?

Not true. Sunsets not getting any earlier anymore, but sunrises are getting later. Days still getting shorter though.

We're playing with a handful of minutes from now until the end of December though, you won't notice the difference until January at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was just looking at that yesterday, couldn't give a fiddlers about the mornings, delighted the evenings are at their shortest now so I can get out for a run after work in brightness by the end of January hopefully. Let's keep summer time next time!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I'm getting married Saturday (mid day) and hoping that the heavy rainfall expected can behave itself a small bit. There is a few conflicting reports, anyone care predict how it looks from your information available?

I know people might hate this type of post so feel free to delete if you feel it is not relevant. Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I don't think December so far has been particularly horrible like November for me but even a frost seems like a big ask.

We've had wall to wall relentless muck here in South Meath since around 1st November with barely any dry days. The roads and pavements here have been damp continuously with no real drying at any stage.

I think December so far hasn't been quite as wet as November which really was a stand out horrible month.

Looks mostly damp, windy and wet between now and Christmas Eve, however there is a glimmer of hope that we may see things cool down slightly from Christmas Day onwards with hopefully dryer conditions and a chance of night time frosts setting in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Alanhooly wrote: »
    I'm getting married Saturday (mid day) and hoping that the heavy rainfall expected can behave itself a small bit. There is a few conflicting reports, anyone care predict how it looks from your information available?

I know people might hate this type of post so feel free to delete if you feel it is not relevant. Thanks.

Best of luck. (The forum is general discussion so I assume it’s ok.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Alanhooly wrote: »

Saturday unfortunately is looking very unsettled.

Heavy rain is certain on Saturday, especially in the morning to early afternoon. Showers following in the afternoon and evening after the main rain band has cleared to our east.

Temperatures will be on the mildish side around 7 to 10C. It could also be very windy, but the details of the winds have still to be nailed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME Just posted an advance warning for Saturday could all change

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for
    Ireland

Potential for severe weather on Saturday 15th December. Hazardous conditions
    may result from heavy rain, and possibly wind also.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Going to see Santa in Bunratty saturday and planning on spending the day around the grounds/village :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

One word to describe these multi-model composites for January-March 2019: wow! Monster northern blocking being predicted by the seasonal models in the composites for the period named with a trough of below average heights either over us or to the southeast. A definite signal for a cold second half to Winter, maybe even significantly so.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen this signal of course - been a signal for a good while.

https://twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1073208153741975553?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dry and fairly windy here today and yesterday, needed it before the rain on saturday

Dry and fairly windy here today and yesterday, needed it before the rain on saturday

not a nice day in south Meath, mostly drizzle and small moments of heavier bursts, breezy, dark and just overall a wet day.

looks like more heavy rain about to arrive here at Dunshaughlin. It's also a very chilly feeling afternoon with current temperature only 5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

raining and windy for 24 hours here now in Cork City basically. Eugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That blocking that was forecast a while back is over Britain, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Peace is settling over the ocean and island like a blessing . Respite from wind and deluge; a breathing space. Not for long I think but deeply healing!

West mayo offshore island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

km79 wrote: »
    Going to see Santa in Bunratty saturday and planning on spending the day around the grounds/village :(

Going by Saturday`s forecast, I would suggest you bring a dinghy/canoe/motorboat/ark(select whatever you have handy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

To far out to be in a reliable time frame but it’s nice to see the models hinting at some nice cold weather and some snow in places Christmas Day

Still blissfully quiet. Was so quiet I could not sleep! West Mayo offshore island

And here comes a diagonal deluge, borne apace on wind... West Mayo offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Stay dry and warm inside Graces7 - I think the next 24 hours (maybe longer) are gonna be horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

christmas day

ukmintemp.png

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MJO analogs from Michael Ventrice here show blocking is favoured on our side of the pole (not the US) in the latter part of December into the New Year which would produce colder than average conditions for us. Week 4 (3-10 January which is the longest away of course so least reliable) looks particularly bitter and with the trough near us, there would be several instances of wintry potential.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1073547162980638722

Kamili wrote: »
    Stay dry and warm inside Graces7 - I think the next 24 hours (maybe longer) are gonna be horrendous!

I have its measure thanks to boards! Fuel well stocked inside etc. Bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Heading to North America in last two weeks of Jan. MT's neck of the woods Canadian Rockies for the first week and NY for the second. Liking the sound of a cold January across the NH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The Met Office 16-30 day update is really encouraging. It uses wording like "winter hazards" and "snow is likely". It even says there is a chance that the cold may get in by the end of December.

all of a sudden things are starting to get more promising, signs of the Atlantic finally starting to lose it's grip, with a potential easterly setting in from Christmas Eve.

We are still 10+ days out from this potential cold snap, so caution is very much advised, I wouldn't be getting too excited yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Gonzo wrote:
    We are still 10+ days out from this potential cold snap, so caution is very much advised, I wouldn't be getting too excited yet.

Too late, already excited ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Which is more conducive to deep cold for Ireland. A Greenland/Iceland high or Scandi high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Which is more conducive to deep cold for Ireland. A Greenland/Iceland high or Scandi high?

It entirely depends on the rest of the pattern/other variables but a 'Griceland' high is ideal.

Advertisement