Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This gives me and my father something to talk about and try and take his mind off his wretched illness. We love talking about the weather- but then so do most Irish People:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is so dark already. The sky is down to the earth and sodden with rain. Not cold, but smotheringly wet

Marine warning now orange which will affect coastal extremes

Status Orange - Gale Warning
    Southeasterly winds will increase to gale force 8 or strong gale 9 tonight on coastal waters from Rossan Point to Howth Head to Hook Head and on the Irish Sea, extending to all coastal waters on Saturday morning.

West to northwest winds will increase to gale 8 or strong gale 9 during Saturday afternoon/evening on coastal waters from Hook Head to Loop Head to Erris Head, increasing to storm force 10, possibly violent storm 11 from Hook Head to Valentia.

Serious winds ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ESB has released more water the usual from the dam here in cork city due to the rain. Lee fields + road flooded. https://mobile.twitter.com/CorkCyclingCrew/status/1073605953512267779

UK Met Office outlook:Saturday 29 Dec 2018 to Saturday 12 Jan 2019:

The start of this period is most likely to be unsettled with the continuation of wet and windy weather pushing in from the west. Through the first half of January there is an increasing likelihood for it to turn colder bringing the increased risk of winter hazards, especially frost and fog. Some snow is also likely with temperatures expected to fall below normal. However, there is uncertainty in the timing of this change to turn colder, and it could come before the end of December.

It seems to be a question of when, not if from them regarding proper cold becoming established. I have not seen this certainity from them since 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Yesss !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another awful day here in south Meath, very wet conditions, dark, lights on.

At this stage I am really hoping for some settled frosty conditions to end this very long run of muck - I think we all need a break from the damp, wet and unsettled conditions of the past 6/7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Like somebody just turned off the lights and on a tap in Limerick city. Sheets of rain after a lovely bright blue skied few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Windy with on and off spells of rain here today, expected a lot more rain then we got, i can see bright sky to our south west at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another dark, depressing, wet and windy day in Donegal. Pouring down sheets of rain all day, so sick of this crap :(

• Advertisement

Well it seems that so far we have no need to be jealous of people in the north of England, as the disruptive snow forecast looks a bust, except over high ground in Scotland. Freezing rain is the main problem for them right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the Snow failed to really make a mark in the UK other than from high ground, mostly sleety rain for the general population with some ice in certain parts. Very few white fields and roads away from high ground locations. We didn't miss out on much 'fun'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Has MTC released his annual Winter Forecast for Ireland yet?

Gonzo wrote: »
    the Snow failed to really make a mark in the UK other than from high ground, mostly sleety rain for the general population with some ice in certain parts. Very few white fields and roads away from high ground locations. We didn't miss out on much 'fun'.

Absolutely totally right. The Tamara on netweather called it. Tam said December would be manky. So did our Sy here on Boards. Robust reputation posters have said - end of December there’s a chance for both islands for some sort of snow somewhere and January is going to get cold - very cold. Snow is coming folks but let’s not wish our lives away - enjoy the hunt for cold and don’t dwell on forecast to forecast ... the next week in Ireland is going to be rough and wet But Snow! yep it’s on the way.

charts are flip flopping but the pattern is cold. Have faith we’ll all have a week off work !

NMB wrote: »
    charts are flip flopping but the pattern is cold. Have faith we’ll all have a week off work !

yep, that easterly that was showing 2 days ago is all but gone at this stage, looks like we will still be in for cool conditions around Christmas with a brief northerly.

Right now it's not snow that I'm looking for, it's a week long dry spell which I really want right now. I would love Christmas Day to New Year's Day to be crisp and dry with heavy night time frosts and sunny days. The snow can wait till January and February!

The sun was shining earlier and I was about to go for a walk,,, then the heavens opened... back to dark skies and cold rain

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

UK Met Office has gotten even more bullish on the weather becoming blocked as we go into January.

UK Outlook for Monday 31 Dec 2018 to Monday 14 Jan 2019:

Going into the New Year there is an increasing likelihood of the weather pattern becoming slow-moving or even "blocked", with Atlantic frontal systems held at bay by slow-moving areas of high pressure. This may result in more generally settled and cold weather conditions becoming established. This brings and increased risk of winter hazards, especially frost, and fog or freezing fog which may be slow to clear. When any frontal systems do push across the UK there will be an increased risk of snow. Temperatures are likely to be below normal, and often cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    UK Met Office has gotten even more bullish on the weather becoming blocked as we go into January.

UK Outlook for Monday 31 Dec 2018 to Monday 14 Jan 2019:

Going into the New Year there is an increasing likelihood of the weather pattern becoming slow-moving or even "blocked", with Atlantic frontal systems held at bay by slow-moving areas of high pressure. This may result in more generally settled and cold weather conditions becoming established. This brings and increased risk of winter hazards, especially frost, and fog or freezing fog which may be slow to clear. When any frontal systems do push across the UK there will be an increased risk of snow. Temperatures are likely to be below normal, and often cold.

I'm loving the usage of the word "established"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I'm loving the usage of the word "established"

I may be being pessismistic, but they seem to expect attacks from the Atlantic, so i just hope the pattern does back far enough west so that we are not watching on envious while Britain gets snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

New yellow wind warning country wide for Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

ZX7R wrote: »
    New yellow wind warning country wide for Monday

Ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Its like its nearly every second day some wind and rain warning is posted by ME.

We have another very unsettled Atlantic driven week ahead with plenty of wind and rain over the next 8 days and generally staying mild, perhaps very mild around the 22nd and 23rd.

Currently it looks like we will finally get about 3 or 4 days respite from the Atlantic with slightly cooler temperatures, hopefully rain free days and some seasonal night time frosts from the 24th to about the 27th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A further 9.7mm of rain recorded today at my Waterford City station. This brings the December total to 181.9mm. Adding in the November total of 281.9mm it brings the Month and a half total to a whopping 463.8mm.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal

South to southeast winds will reach mean speed at times between 50 and 65km/h and gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. Winds may exceed these limits in coastal areas.
    Issued: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00
    Updated: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00
    Valid from Monday 17 December 2018 13:00 to Tuesday 18 December 2018 04:00

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan

South to southeast winds will reach mean speeds at times between 50 and 65km/h and gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. Winds may exceed these limits in coastal areas.
    Issued: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00
    Updated: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00
    Valid from Monday 17 December 2018 19:00 to Tuesday 18 December 2018 0900

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cracking picture posted by Chaosheng Zhang on his Facebook there are 9 pictures taken in Galway today well worth a look at his Facebook

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cold night here in cork city. Cars are all frosted over.

Advertisement