Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Aidan McGivern was live at 13.00 in The Weather Studio.

SSW...…….;)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Hopefully a clear night Thursday and Friday for the geminids but not looking too good on met eireann

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be fun and games over in the UK on Friday and possibly Saturday with the potential for snow as milder Atlantic air move in over a cold UK. Snow most likely in northern half of mainland UK with rain/sleet further south. Northern Ireland, like us will probably just see rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Gonzo wrote: »
    could be fun and games over in the UK on Friday and possibly Saturday with the potential for snow as milder Atlantic air move in over a cold UK. Snow most likely in northern half of mainland UK with rain/sleet further south. Northern Ireland, like us will probably just see rain.

Can we get Gonzo a ban after that post... :)
    The only thing worse that no snow, is watching the UK get it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

< Mod Snip >

erm, what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

< Mod Snip>

Wrong thread, buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

highdef wrote: »
    Wrong thread, buddy

Think this is the forum they are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

They have posted that post in loads of threads there band all ready

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

ZX7R wrote: »

What sorta stuff do they play? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

ZX7R wrote: »

Off-topic, but that "sentence" is painful to decipher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

We're dodging a bullet in the shape of that 943-hPa low out to our west tomorrow.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018121106_024.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yes an impressive looking storm.

P03qhDM.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cooling down a lot here in Kerry under clear skies, now at 4.2C and calm

temp_uk_dyz5.png

Yes an impressive looking storm.

P03qhDM.jpg

An earlier GCOMW1/AMSR2 overpass measured mean winds of near 80 knots in the southwestern semicircle of the system. Ferocious, given that it's still deepening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

highdef wrote: »
    Off-topic, but that "sentence" is painful to decipher!

Take some paracetamol,it will help the pain

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light rain now in Dublin 16. Seems to be a bit of a convergence zone along the east coast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very heavy rain in South County Dublin by the coast, just miserable. No wind either.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Very heavy rain in South County Dublin by the coast, just miserable. No wind either.

amb18z.png

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Model outlook is bleak again this morning. The pattern of northwest sources low pressure seems perpetual going forward. This is very like a lot of recent winters. Not mild, but not snowy. Very stormy polar maritime. I wouldn’t be surprised if it continues well past Christmas. Gonna give myself a wee break from viewing the output, sickened at the thought of cycling to work and doing school runs and Christmas shopping in perpetual unsettled and windy conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Agreed, no more model watching until a few days before Christmas for me.

It seems the more I check the models, the less interesting they get from a coldies point of view. Model fatigue has set in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Wexford, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Southeasterly winds will reach mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h at times, with gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. Winds will be strongest along coastal areas.

Issued: Wednesday 12 December 2018 09:00

Updated: Wednesday 12 December 2018 09:00

Valid from Wednesday 12 December 2018 16:00 to Thursday 13 December 1400

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Heavy rain will lead to accumulations between 25mm and 50mm. Spot flooding possible. There is the potential for higher values in mountainous areas.

Issued: Wednesday 12 December 2018 08:00

Updated: Wednesday 12 December 2018 08:00

Valid from Wednesday 12 December 2018 18:00 to Thursday 13 December 2018 18:00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dense fog this morning in Cork City, starting to clear up a bit now though. Rainfall warning for even more rain though :/ Not looking forward to that. Yesterday afternoon had some very heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Ridiculous amount of changes in model output as soon as day 3 or day 4 that it's really no use discussing them. Gotta love Scandi Highs! The only thing that is consistent on them is the stratosphere which has been constantly monitored in the stratosphere watch thread.

This point still stands.

In my Winter forecast, I never expected much from December and forecasted a mild, wet month though not exceptionally so. I also commented on here that I do not expect much if any snow this side of Christmas.

esposito wrote: »
    Agreed, no more model watching until a few days before Christmas for me.

It seems the more I check the models, the less interesting they get from a coldies point of view. Model fatigue has set in.

My head is absolutely melted.:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

In the 'old' days (....pre 2010....), models were not looked at until after Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Since near the start of Nov the weather has been largely mild dull and unsettled. In other words a load of boll##. My last air frost was Nov 2nd. Had more ground frosts in sept/Oct then Nov /Dec so far. I'm hopefull though of better things eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wild and wet and windy out here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

South Meath. After a dark grey day yesterday (so so dark and dreary even without a drop of rain) today is brighter and lighter even without much sunshine Just cold. I like it!

The RMS Queen Mary 2 just dodged that overnight storm, but still reported 52-knot winds, 7-metre waves and 8-metre swell at 06Z as it sailed at 47.4N 36.5W, around 400 NM southwest of the centre (just inside the 1000-hPa isobar, ahead of that isolated occluded front). I'd say the sherry and brandy glasses were making quite the racket...

ukmo_nat_fax_2018121206_000.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rain started in cork city now. Time to get the fire lighting

Advertisement