Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

alps wrote: »
    Deciding that here today...costing 8.50 bale, wrap and stack, plus 3 to haul, now and rake myself...reckon beyond 6 bales per acre the pit is cheaper.

In a bit if a bind in that our hybrids have headed. Only grazed 5 weeks and got 100N 3and a half weeks ago, but it has not grown that well and looks completely stressed for water...

We are waiting for dry weather to cut ours.

Was talking to a neighbour who was interested in the Glanbia extended credit scheme, he is at his credit limit and therefore will not qualify for the extended credit scheme. So this scheme will not help those who really need it, who is it for then, is it a publicity exercise? On a 30k credit limit a farmer would be paying 900 euro a month interest. I know most credit limits would be much higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Mooooo wrote: »
    Desperate feckers for giving a belt in the head apparently

Ya they're nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking to a neighbour who was interested in the Glanbia extended credit scheme, he is at his credit limit and therefore will not qualify for the extended credit scheme. So this scheme will not help those who really need it, who is it for then, is it a publicity exercise? On a 30k credit limit a farmer would be paying 900 euro a month interest. I know most credit limits would be much higher than that.

It's like the low cost borrowing scheme announced last year by the Government, 10 month on and it's still a few months away from being rolled out.

But the whole thing looks very good from the outside and that appears to be all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

thought you just have to keep within credit term limits on your account, if he is still under credit limit will he not be able to avail of credit scheme? think it more of ability to repay as the reason for not allowing people who are over existing credit limits to enter

straw hitting between 30-35 a bale down here delivered to yard, whats will a bale of silage going to be worth this winter, heard rolled barley straights are being pulled, they are finding very hard to source internationally and all yield are back with a fair amount gone into wholecrop

• Advertisement

Was there an announcement earlier in the summer that credit limits were being extended?

thought you just have to keep within credit term limits on your account, if he is still under credit limit will he not be able to avail of credit scheme? think it more of ability to repay as the reason for not allowing people who are over existing credit limits to enter

straw hitting between 30-35 a bale down here delivered to yard, whats will a bale of silage going to be worth this winter, heard rolled barley straights are being pulled, they are finding very hard to source internationally and all yield are back with a fair amount gone into wholecrop

With interest being added each month I assume it can be hard to keep under the credit limit even with making payment . Would there be a risk of milk cheque being swiped. People are under alot of pressure financially and may not be able to approach their bank for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

To be fair interest doesn’t kick in till amounts owed on 4-6 month plus and is knocked of here once it’s cleared within 6 months owed, in cases where accounts are being left run and no concentrated effort of knocking of 4-5k month on a account like the above you wouldn’t expect them to keep extending credit
    If a free for all was left develop re credits limits, massive bills would be run-up resulting in farmers having massive amounts of money been took of milk Cheques through contra and then of course Glanbia would be the big bad wolf taking half the farmers milk Cheque without warning

Interest kicks in after 30 days on my account anyway. Maybe yours is different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Deciding that here today...costing 8.50 bale, wrap and stack, plus 3 to haul, now and rake myself...reckon beyond 6 bales per acre the pit is cheaper.

In a bit if a bind in that our hybrids have headed. Only grazed 5 weeks and got 100N 3and a half weeks ago, but it has not grown that well and looks completely stressed for water...

We were all set to go mow ours this afternoon but a we're after getting a down pour of rain here :D so it on hold for today
    Reckon it's about 7 bales per acre on what we have. Going to put it into the pit even though we have all the gear for bales, just don't have the time and our trailer wont be able for the distance they have to be drawn.
    Letting half of it up again for a third cut in 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

Taken from a NZ article...

An analysis of DairyNZ’s Economic Farm Survey data by Ian Williams of Pioneer indicates that over the last 12 years (since the 2005-06 season to 2016-17) average profit per hectare, return on assets, and equity growth has been higher for system 4-5 (inputs and high stocking rate) than 1-2 (all grass and low stocking rate). Closing term debt per kgMS has been lower for system 4-5 than 1-2.

Economically the higher stocking rate systems have paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Taken from a NZ article...

An analysis of DairyNZ’s Economic Farm Survey data by Ian Williams of Pioneer indicates that over the last 12 years (since the 2005-06 season to 2016-17) average profit per hectare, return on assets, and equity growth has been higher for system 4-5 (inputs and high stocking rate) than 1-2 (all grass and low stocking rate). Closing term debt per kgMS has been lower for system 4-5 than 1-2.

Economically the higher stocking rate systems have paid off.

Do the Nz Government throw money at them when the green stuff doesn’t grow?

Harvesting this today.
    Planted into dust on the first week of July. Not a drop of rain since...3.5-4tDM/ha estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Harvesting this today.
    Planted into dust on the first week of July. Not a drop of rain since...3.5-4tDM/ha estimate.

what is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Sorghum/Sudan grass?

blackdog1 wrote: »
    what is that?

Westershyte and redstart...:)
    Joking!

Alexandria and squarrosum clovers, moha and sorghum. The sorghum seed was in a moha bag so was included by mistake. NO FERT added!!
    A neighbor is pitting maize today and I said he could have it for free to clean off the field for osr. The kemper header wouldn’t cut it so they had to change headers and mow it...

Nothing grows in drought they said...

Shows what the savants in Teagasc know about drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭straight

I've found how to make easy money from farming. Saw cow hides in Ikea for 290 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Westershyte and redstart...:)
    Joking!

Alexandria and squarrosum clovers, moha and sorghum. The sorghum seed was in a moha bag so was included by mistake. NO FERT added!!
    A neighbor is pitting maize today and I said he could have it for free to clean off the field for osr. The kemper header wouldn’t cut it so they had to change headers and mow it...

Nothing grows in drought they said...

Shows what the savants in Teagasc know about drought.

For arguments sake if that was set here for harvest in September? after a winter crop, what way would it be if it was harvested in wettish conditions which would most likely be the case? And would you get much more of a yield in normal rainfall conditions here? Perhaps where Timmay and freedom are where they seem to suffer drought like conditions for some bit of every summer something such as that may suit but for those of us which 90% of the time get more rain would there be much point in setting that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Mooooo wrote: »
    For arguments sake if that was set here for harvest in September? after a winter crop, what way would it be if it was harvested in wettish conditions which would most likely be the case? And would you get much more of a yield in normal rainfall conditions here? Perhaps where Timmay and freedom are where they seem to suffer drought like conditions for some bit of every summer something such as that may suit but for those of us which 90% of the time get more rain would there be much point in setting that?

I'll get back to you on that. Might have fcuked it up by including too much hybrid Italian.

I'll get back to you on that. Might have fcuked it up by including too much hybrid grass.

How are you getting on now, did you get enough rain?

• Advertisement

How are you getting on now, did you get enough rain?

From the sound of things we've been very lucky. Silage gone from diet for 2 weeks now. Aftergrass type 1200-1400 covers in front of them and part of the grazing stopped to go in with third cut in the first week of Sept. The oul boy has been saying for quite a while that farmers banging on about tonnes of dm grown per ha a blowing it out their arse. Sunshine and rain dictate it all. All you can do is try to be in a position to make the best of what comes. There's been more grass grown here this August than any normal July and August combined and we had no more control over it this year than any other. Hard to credit that we have been getting rain when other parts of the country are going back into drought or never got out of it. No major dumps of rain just a few mm one or two nights a week and a bit of a drop in temps since late July.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I've no idea why - but I keep mixing these two threads up ;)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057839031/1/#post106084725

Pit refilled today with nice leafy stuff. Judging by what trailer loads we got there was 4000-4500/ha on it. A lot more than I would have thought. Fert on tomorrow to get grass back for ICH and try for a 3rd cut on 30 acres

Pit refilled today with nice leafy stuff. Judging by what trailer loads we got there was 4000-4500/ha on it. A lot more than I would have thought. Fert on tomorrow to get grass back for ICH and try for a 3rd cut on 30 acres

Is that the end of an era or will ye go back to bales next year?

Is that the end of an era or will ye go back to bales next year?

A well it has been for a few years now but we worked away with them. I've no interest in machinery but I'll run what we have and try to look after it. We haven't the time to be spending days at bales the way we were and that's never going to change now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was that your reseed?

Did you have no rain yesterday?

Was that your reseed?

Did you have no rain yesterday?

No from land there at the grotto and the rectory lands. Yeah got a few spills alright. Amounted to about 5 mm. Was mown dry so shouldn't be too wet.
    Fair drop coming tomorrow. Wanted it off so we could try for another cut on some of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

No from land there at the grotto and the rectory lands.

How did that ground fair out in the drought?
    You'd imagine both would be damper than the home block.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I'll get back to you on that. Might have fcuked it up by including too much hybrid Italian.

Are you saying that the hybrid is smothering it? If it'll grow 4tDM/ha in 6 weeks in drought conditions, I would've thought it would be the grass that would be smothered

• Advertisement

How did that ground fair out in the drought?
    You'd imagine both would be damper than the home block.

The land at the grotto grew okay for most of June but just sat there from start of July till about 3 weeks ago. The other block is on the banks if the slaney. Driest land you'll get around here. It got rain the day after we took silage off it the end of may and it got very little since till about 3 weeks ago. Happy enough though with what we got. Should make up for it now if we can get regular weather

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement