Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

You can have too much calcium in the ground too ya know.
    Calcium overload gives that burnt look on grass.

You could get a basic pH soil test and it comes back as low with a recommendation to spread 2 ton/acre of lime. But unless you get a proper element constituent test you won't know how much of each elements that plant is getting.

Calcium is a big element in the ground (like a football).
    All the rest are like ping pong balls.
    Too many footballs around the root and in the root blocks the root from getting any access to those ping pong balls.

Advice would be to get a proper Albrecht type soil test done to see the breakdown of the elements in the soil.
    Pay particular attention to the calcium : magnesium ratio.

That's the proper advice.
    For the short term quick buster fix.
    Spread boron in your next application of fertilizer to bust all that calcium blocking your roots.
    Then if you have to spread lime make sure it's a magnesium lime you're spreading.
    But that's a very strong speculation on my part.

The proper advice is to get a detailed soil test to see what's really going on.
    It could even be compaction but with the dry soil cracking weather just gone highly unlikely.

Cheers. I was going to test again over the winter. I'll. give the boron a go too it must be short on something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bo dearg wrote: »
    Cheers. I was going to test again over the winter. I'll. give the boron a go too it must be short on something

Let us know how it gets on.

Don't forget Whelan's suggestion of the slurry. There's a certain amount of boron in slurry too.
    But in the fert you'd be 100% sure of the amount going on.

I had a field that went like that after getting limed the previous autumn. It was soil tested in the spring and was extremely high in calcium but the pH was in the normal range.
    Boron in the fertilizer this year turned it inside out. It also got a small bit (a 50kg bag/ac) of magnesium in fertilizer too (Sweetgrass).

Edit: maybe it's because I'm looking at biostimulant clips on YouTube but a seaweed foliar spray would do it a power of good as well.
    You'd be going at it from both ends so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I have a field refusing to grow.
    Grass turns yellow in patches and tips look burnt. Fertility is good and getting fertilizer like all other paddocks. Can grass get rust like barley or could it be low in something else?

Seen that in some fields here too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭older by the day

Sorry for butting in and changing the subject, I'm predipping with Quattro foam, 40 Euro which is good, it lasts a long time. I changed post dip to blu-gard dip this year delighted with results. Great teat condition it's fly repellent and my cell is good. Even the dodgy girls seem to be staying low. Problem is its 65 Euro every four weeks. I'm slow to change, might get a barrel thud be cheaper. Mastocide would not be much cheaper. Any other strong thick teat dip going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sorry for butting in and changing the subject, I'm predipping with Quattro foam, 40 Euro which is good, it lasts a long time. I changed post dip to blu-gard dip this year delighted with results. Great teat condition it's fly repellent and my cell is good. Even the dodgy girls seem to be staying low. Problem is its 65 Euro every four weeks. I'm slow to change, might get a barrel thud be cheaper. Mastocide would not be much cheaper. Any other strong thick teat dip going ?
    Buy a 200 Ltrs drum ,I buy all test dip acid and detergent in 200 Ltrs and there’s a fair saving over the 20 Ltrs drums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Buy a 200 Ltrs drum ,I buy all test dip acid and detergent in 200 Ltrs and there’s a fair saving over the 20 Ltrs drums

1000L IBC tank is the best value. I buy in Ireland and get it transported out.
    Ark Shield it’s called. Happy enough with it. Used to pre-dip with it but now use peracetic acid instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭straight

1000L IBC tank is the best value. I buy in Ireland and get it transported out.
    Ark Shield it’s called. Happy enough with it. Used to pre-dip with it but now use peracetic acid instead.

Have been meaning to switch to ark shield from deosan for a while. Good to get a recommendation. 1000L would do me about 20 years though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I have a field refusing to grow.
    Grass turns yellow in patches and tips look burnt. Fertility is good and getting fertilizer like all other paddocks. Can grass get rust like barley or could it be low in something else?

https://www.afbini.gov.uk/news/afbi-research-highlights-crown-rust-increasing-problem-grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

scanning completed here 14% empty, a lot higher than normal but considering the hardship they went throu during breeding season between the snow and drought its not surprising

poor results from AI, left too much work for stock bulls both are wreaked after season

done scanning through milk test last two years, found there was to many to recheck each time, and a % showed up as in calf but were actually empty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

wrote:
    A little bit of species diversity would solve that without the need for spending lots of money on breeding 'resistance'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

http://www.lafranceagricole.fr/actualites/elevage/secheresse-la-confederation-paysanne-veut-revoir-le-modele-agricole-1,4,2748606400.html

Imagine, just imagine, if an Irish farming organization came out with the like of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Translate, S’il vous plait?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,183 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

4 calves born this morning. 4 Friesian heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Translate, S’il vous plait?

If you open it in chrome there should be an option to view in english

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    4 calves born this morning. 4 Friesian heifers.

How long will your autumn calving period be? Grand weather to have for outside calving

Mooooo wrote: »
    How long will your autumn calving period be? Grand weather to have for outside calving

Until end of October. Was to be 6 weeks but it is a bit longer this year

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Mooooo wrote: »
    If you open it in chrome there should be an option to view in english

Chrome ?? Sorry. Technophobe here. You’ll have to translate that too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Got 3rd cut done- came into 468 bales
    Have another 15 acres to mow this week- should be ok

stanflt wrote: »

Ya must be having a slow day if your on here

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ya must be having a slow day if your on here

Just home from herding- heading to tayto park now

• Advertisement

Just home from herding- heading to tayto park now

Say she's delighted. Should have left ya few for today

Say she's delighted. Should have left ya few for today

Na thanks

The thoughts of more this week

Mowing 35 acres here for bales now. It's 3rd cut too. Might chance another cut from it

Na thanks

The thoughts of more this week

It'll crown ya considering ya barely touched the 468 :D

It'll crown ya considering ya barely touched the 468 :D

Sure my back is broke from carrying the team

Sure my back is broke from carrying the team

Only seen ya at the end. As usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Chrome ?? Sorry. Technophobe here. You’ll have to translate that too
    It's a different web browser, like safari or internet explorer or firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭visatorro

stanflt wrote:
    Got 3rd cut done- came into 468 bales Have another 15 acres to mow this week- should be ok

Will they all go in the tub feeder?

visatorro wrote: »
    Will they all go in the tub feeder?

Yeah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement