Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone know what block layers are charging per block ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

70-80c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    For arguments sake if that was set here for harvest in September? after a winter crop, what way would it be if it was harvested in wettish conditions which would most likely be the case? And would you get much more of a yield in normal rainfall conditions here? Perhaps where Timmay and freedom are where they seem to suffer drought like conditions for some bit of every summer something such as that may suit but for those of us which 90% of the time get more rain would there be much point in setting that?

I was away for a couple of days...

I would think that sorghum wouldn’t like the wet. Likewise with moha.

However I reckon that squarrosum, crimson, vetch etc would fly in any normal year.

Tbh, it’s way beyond my pay grade to be recommending what to grow or what not to grow, Moo.
    What I find completely baffling is that Teagasc etc have NO research whatsoever done into this. In fairness to Teagasc they must be one of the world leading research institutes on how to grow 16+t/ha of grass with an unlimited allowance of nitrogen. Saying that, surely they must know that *sometimes* the grass doesn’t grow?
    There’s a weather station in most of their bases for decades now?
    Where’s the research into multi-species grasses and herbs?
    Cover cropping?
    Cash cropping?
    Carbon sequestration?
    Soil structure?
    Soil “farming”? Etc etc etc etc...

Seems very laisser faire research to me!
    At the risk of repeating myself, Teagasc imho, are a one trick pony.

From my own personal experience I think that (especially dairy) farmers are missing a trick, as are tillage farmers, on the whole cover/cash crop scene. Ye must be 20yrs behind.

Instead of tillage and dairy farmers being at loggerheads over land, there could be a mutually beneficial relationship where everyone (including the environment and soil) wins.

I won’t be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Got some done yesterday 80c/block

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Spent the last few days sorting and tidying up around the yard for the BordBia later in the week. I was printing out the lists needed and was worried that the printer ink was getting low but it just printed the last sheet:)
    Then I realised I hadn't put in a calf born last week, 2 cows sold and the weanlings we dosed yesterday:rolleyes:
    Off to buy ink to print it all out again tomorrow:(

Anyways, its raining now so a bit of grass might grow and I'm fecking off to bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

However I reckon that squarrosum, crimson, vetch etc would fly in any normal year.

Tbh, it’s way beyond my pay grade to be recommending what to grow or what not to grow, Moo.
    What I find completely baffling is that Teagasc etc have NO research whatsoever done into this. In fairness to Teagasc they must be one of the world leading research institutes on how to grow 16+t/ha of grass with an unlimited allowance of nitrogen. Saying that, surely they must know that *sometimes* the grass doesn’t grow. There’s a weather station in most of their bases for decades now?
    Where’s the research into multi-species grasses and herbs? Cover cropping? Cash cropping? Carbon sequestration?
    Soil structure? Soil “farming”? Etc etc etc etc...

From my own personal experience I think that (especially dairy) farmers are missing a trick, as are tillage farmers, on the whole cover/cash crop scene. Ye must be 20yrs behind.

Instead of tillage and dairy farmers being at loggerheads over land, there could be a mutually beneficial relationship where everyone (including the environment and soil) wins.

Their like a Scientology preacher at this stage, it’s grand though the new line is it’s not how one year grass growth goes it has to be looked at as the average over 4 years....
    Offered a nice quantity of 3 rd cut silage delivered into the yard of a place with 300 plus cows and only 30 days of their own silage in-store, no interest whatsoever, can guarantee the same place won’t have a bale left by February and will be hoping the grass and weather play ball

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Their like a Scientology preacher at this stage, it’s grand though the new line is it’s not how one year grass growth goes it has to be looked at as the average over 4 years....
    Offered a nice quantity of 3 rd cut silage delivered into the yard of a place with 300 plus cows and only 30 days of their own silage in-store, no interest whatsoever, can guarantee the same place won’t have a bale left by February and will be hoping the grass and weather play ball

Teagasc obviously have zero influence on that farm so, their fodder budgets are all based on 5month winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

wrote:

What I find completely baffling is that Teagasc etc have NO research whatsoever done into this. In fairness to Teagasc they must be one of the world leading research institutes on how to grow 16+t/ha of grass with an unlimited allowance of nitrogen. Saying that, surely they must know that *sometimes* the grass doesn’t grow?
    There’s a weather station in most of their bases for decades now?
    Where’s the research into multi-species grasses and herbs?
    Cover cropping?
    Cash cropping?
    Carbon sequestration?
    Soil structure?
    Soil “farming”? Etc etc etc etc...

There was an application made to Dafm for funding to investigate production of various cover crops a few years ago. Ended up being dismissed as too practical and not scientific enough to justify funding...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There was an application made to Dafm for funding to investigate production of various cover crops a few years ago. Ended up being dismissed as too practical and not scientific enough to justify funding...

Looks a great idea for sowing....no time wasted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7iXweYSRh0

The impracticality of practical research...

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

Non irrigated.
    Looks like the combine will be putting through more maize than planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Non irrigated.
    Looks like the combine will be putting through more maize than planned.

Good crop there dawg. I didn't have you down as a trailer jockey....more of a pit man !

Good crop there dawg. I didn't have you down as a trailer jockey....more of a pit man !

Neither!
    Way too old to be rattling the teeth outa my head at this craic...

Nekarsulm was supposed to tog out for the week but unfortunately let me down :):).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Neither!
    Way too old to be rattling the teeth outa my head at this craic...

Nekarsulm was supposed to tog out for the week but unfortunately let me down :):).

Ha!

The Oscar Wilde waits for no man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Ha!

The Oscar Wilde waits for no man! :D

Oscar Wilde is too slow...go Stena, and the waft of calf chit will make you feel right at home...

Dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Article in the UK today about some of the muck which is now used to make Ice cream.

The UK had regulations up to 2015 which required manufacturers to include milk and or cream as standard. Since then popular dietery interests have resulted in manufacturers using cheap (and sometimes nasty) alternatives to the real thing.

Not sure what regulations we have in this country relevant to the manufacture of real Icecream
    See:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/does-scoop-vanilla-ice-cream-contain-no-vanilla-fresh-cream/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

gozunda wrote: »
    Article in the UK today about some of the muck which is now used to make Ice cream.

The UK had regulations up to 2015 which required manufacturers to include milk and or cream as standard. Since then popular dietery interests have resulted in manufacturers using cheap alternatives to the real thing.

Not sure what regulations we have in this country relevant to the manufacture of real Icecream
    See:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/does-scoop-vanilla-ice-cream-contain-no-vanilla-fresh-cream/

Had to do a double take, thought it was going to be an articly about FYM being used to make ice cream!

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Going to mow silage today for the pit. Will do bales next week hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »

Going to do a nitrates test today to see where we are. Dull enough day. Wouldn't be rushing to get mower out atm.

• Advertisement

No artificial fertiliser, no herbicide.
    60t/ha of fym and scuffled twice.

Just in case...

whelan2 wrote: »

Painful last few weeks here, despite being only stocked at 2.2 on the milking block the afc is totally dropping off again, the 10mm last weekend will hopefully grow sometime over the next few days but nothing really forecast for the next 10days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Timmaay wrote: »
    Painful last few weeks here, despite being only stocked at 2.2 on the milking block the afc is totally dropping off again, the 10mm last weekend will hopefully grow sometime over the next few days but nothing really forecast for the next 10days.

In reality that 10 mm u got last weekend will probably do more harm than good unless u get more again pretty soon after it .....some year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Council approved planning for golf course up stream of us has lead to the below picture, used to be trout in this river, of course paddy farmer is to blame for rivers been destroyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bord Bia sorted again for a while:)

A wee bit of tidying around the yard and spreading the FYM and we're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I see a crowd selling slurry separators on agriland, are they good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I see a crowd selling slurry separators on agriland, are they good?

The "separator" in Westphalia separator the milking machine manufacturer refers to that type of separator. They have installed a good few of the in sewage treatment plants around the country. Hard to be sure what benefit they are unless the water separated was considered dirty water similar to dairy washings and could be spread at any time. Price against the Westphalia seeing as they're put in where money isn't much object.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pissing rain here, looks like we'll get a good enough drop down here this week but not much further north. Looking to cut silage down here and others back feeding it out. Crazy year.
    Scanning booked for next week, just on observing the herd with last few weeks looking like 15% empty. 3 cows hadn't been seen in heat with weeks so possible burst of growth had a part to play in that. Disappointed as have a few to cull not in that list too.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Pissing rain here, looks like we'll get a good enough drop down here this week but not much further north. Looking to cut silage down here and others back feeding it out. Crazy year.
    Scanning booked for next week, just on observing the herd with last few weeks looking like 15% empty. 3 cows hadn't been seen in heat with weeks so possible burst of growth had a part to play in that. Disappointed as have a few to cull not in that list too.

I scanned last week and was surprised to find 6 or 7 cows who had been observed bulling last month were actually well incalf. I wouldn't pay to much notice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Timmaay wrote: »
    I scanned last week and was surprised to find 6 or 7 cows who had been observed bulling last month were actually well incalf. I wouldn't pay to much notice!

Ya. Bull calves are rising on a different cow every day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement