Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just a note on the FRS prices, AFAIK the FRS worker would be insured against letting antibiotics into the tank or forgetting to put the hose in the tank etc. So that would add a bit to the charge

An frs milker here forgot to close the tank valve here many yrs ago with my dad, and I don't think he had any success getting anything towards the lost milk! Not closing the tank valve, not turning the tank on, or letting a red tape cow into the tank are the big 3 absolutely NO NOs here and all milkers get told that fairly clearly at the start, never been an issue with any of the lads I've had thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,173 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    An frs milker here forgot to close the tank valve here many yrs ago with my dad, and I don't think he had any success getting anything towards the lost milk! Not closing the tank valve, not turning the tank on, or letting a red tape cow into the tank are the big 3 absolutely NO NOs here and all milkers get told that fairly clearly at the start, never been an issue with any of the lads I've had thankfully.

Check the dairy after first row goes out is the main point here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Most lads would have cover for part time workers and milk cover on their insurance policies anyway I assume?

I think there is a limit on claims from one policy, once every 3 years iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone know how much meal and what % protein you would need to feed maiden heifers if they were just fed straw for the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone know how much meal and what % protein you would need to feed maiden heifers if they were just fed straw for the winter?

I think it's something like .5kg for every 50kg liveweight, would want good ingredients too soya as protein source etc. Not sure what you would have to make it up to, 20 +% maybe?

• Advertisement

I think it's something like .5kg for every 50kg liveweight, would want good ingredients too soya as protein source etc. Not sure what you would have to make it up to, 20 +% maybe?

That's probably about 2.5 kg then fir 220 kg heifers? We usually feed that much with silage most winters but it would be an 18% nut. I have silage in there yard but I'd like to keep it for milkers if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

most likely be feeding haylage here & keeping the silage for the milkers,

intend getting a 15% high quality beef ration blown in for culls and a few finishing heifers

for the weanlings we will add soya bean meal to bring meal p to about 21% & feed about 3 kgs reducing amount & p as the winter goes on

it's going to a costly winter one way or another

orm0nd wrote: »
    it's going to a costly winter one way or another

On hindsight last winter was incredible cheap for us here, for the milkers maize and leafy paddock bales which woulda both cost about 13c/kgdm, alongside the bare 3kg of a 24% protein balancer nut, and the incalf heifers were out strip grazing an outside block up until Jan. All went tits up from mid Feb onwards obviously tho ha.

I'm working out that between feeding the winter milkers and bridging the gap in my fodder deficit I'll need another 70tons dm, and as things stand energy will cost at a minimum 20c/kgdm, and more like 25 to 30c if it's all bought in concentrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

That's probably about 2.5 kg then fir 220 kg heifers? We usually feed that much with silage most winters but it would be an 18% nut. I have silage in there yard but I'd like to keep it for milkers if I could

From memory heifers need 70-80mj per day. Roughly equivalent to 6.5kg dm of good quality feed. Protein needs to be good quality rather than a %. Half a kg of soya goes a long way to supplying this. 10 kg silage fresh, 2kg of straw and 3kg of meal incl .5kg of soya would be a reasonable mix. A 120 day winter for 40 heifers would be covered by 60 bales of silage with that diet.

From memory heifers need 70-80mj per day. Roughly equivalent to 6.5kg dm of good quality feed. Protein needs to be good quality rather than a %. Half a kg of soya goes a long way to supplying this. 10 kg silage fresh, 2kg of straw and 3kg of meal incl .5kg of soya would be a reasonable mix. A 120 day winter for 40 heifers would be covered by 60 bales of silage with that diet.

They're on an outfarm with 2 lean twos and ring feeders. Not able to make up a diet like that for them. Thanks for that though

• Advertisement

Walked a paddock we overseeded here on the 26th of July. It has gotten a great take. We need rain here soon or grass will become an issue again. Pr heading for 3.9 abd fat heading for 4.8

P at 3.6 here bf stubbornly staying below 4 at 3.9. Doing between 24.5 and 25 litres. Had a high urea result at 49 as are in leafy covers, thought the fert would be ok but this is drier ground where growth has come in more of a burst whereas the heavier ground had recovered faster so perhaps used up the n more gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

They're on an outfarm with 2 lean twos and ring feeders. Not able to make up a diet like that for them. Thanks for that though

Requirements are the same. Hard to make sure every animal is getting their allocation unless they are very even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Just wondering lads has the deadline for spreading FYM been extended as well as the slurry/fert??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Just wondering lads has the deadline for spreading FYM been extended as well as the slurry/fert??

Dont think so

Yes 2 weeks aswell I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Comment section with 'Coconut milk is a good choice':pac:

What sort of money are contractors charging for second cut SP silage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Same as first cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Usually 30% less but depends on how heavy it is

Usually 30% less but depends on how heavy it is

Not a hope of that around here

Normal year here twud be 110 first and 100 second but there wouldn't always be a massive difference in amount of grass in both cuts here

If it's a light cut a wagon could make sense?

If it's a light cut a wagon could make sense?

Or a baler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

Comment section with 'Coconut milk is a good choice':pac:

How many times a day do they milk the coconuts

mf240 wrote: »
    How many times a day do they milk the coconuts

Desperate feckers for giving a belt in the head apparently

Reggie. wrote: »
    Or a baler

Plenty of room in pits in nearly every yard here...

Plenty of room in pits in nearly every yard here...

Yeah but from a costing point of view it might be cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah but from a costing point of view it might be cheaper

Deciding that here today...costing 8.50 bale, wrap and stack, plus 3 to haul, now and rake myself...reckon beyond 6 bales per acre the pit is cheaper.

In a bit if a bind in that our hybrids have headed. Only grazed 5 weeks and got 100N 3and a half weeks ago, but it has not grown that well and looks completely stressed for water...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement