Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Not a bother on them

Still no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How much meal are you all feeding to cows?
    On 5 here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

On 5 here

About 3kg nuts and 4kgDM maize then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Up to 6 here, bit of maize and silage as well. Weather of last 10 days been a disaster here ground is saturated so take a bit of drying even to get back out for the 3 hour stretch. Mixed dry cow's to make more space for milkers last night had taken out anything close instead bed and calf landed in cubicle this morning them 15 days ahead. Cow and calf fine but a pia

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Still no bother

I'm not having a go, but not 1 cow was lying in a cubicle in those pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

On 5 here

Base of 6 then feed to yield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Absoutely nothing only a stop gap ridiculous amount of water to be collected

And fellas forget to account for the extra silage that cows consume to keep warm too

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

At least the cubicle beds are nice and clean....!I can’t understand planning permission being given for those jobs. Cows need shelter, I don’t care what anyone says.

All eating

Milkers our at grass today and none lying down as they’re eating.

cjpm wrote: »
    And fellas forget to account for the extra silage that cows consume to keep warm too

No they don’t and it’s exactly 5% more, if Fred area is covered about 2%

• Advertisement

Out of cubicles for approx 4 hrs yesterday and all lying last night. People often have cows standing in a collection yard for 3 hrs at milking

And while I’m at it I’ll deal with the inevitable water question. €1000/yr to spread the extra water collected on that area, water only needs to be collected while cows on it, 4mths here. Cost to roof c€60k goss so after vat, tax relief approx 35 years spreading to put up roof for dry cows

If you look there’s not one cow under conditioned and I’m sure you know that’s the primary measure of welfare.

4 non negotiable’s colostrum, straw, Bcs and closing cover

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Extra silage ,waste ,extra labour from having to feed more regular thru wet times extra cost of slurry storage dilution of slurry .all that and the image to non farming eyes.stand off pads were all the go once most of these now condemned or roofed or converted to cubicles which will in time be roofed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

And while I’m at it I’ll deal with the inevitable water question. €1000/yr to spread the extra water collected on that area, water only needs to be collected while cows on it, 4mths here. Cost to roof c€60k goss so after vat, tax relief approx 35 years spreading to put up roof for dry cows

What did the bigger tank cost ?

What did the bigger tank cost ?

Feck all, lagoon cheaper the larger you go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Does it work in snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Real martyrs, if thats what they want, leave them too it. They have problems with throughput of staff. Horrible working conditions. But cows cows cows is the mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Extra silage ,waste ,extra labour from having to feed more regular thru wet times extra cost of slurry storage dilution of slurry .all that and the image to non farming eyes.stand off pads were all the go once most of these now condemned or roofed or converted to cubicles which will in time be roofed.

So €1000 for the soiled water added to the extra silage. Say you feed 1000 bales, 5% is an extra 50 bales. At €25 a bale. That’s €1250.

Now we’re at €2250 a year. Not accounting for the extra labour etc..... The €€€€€ are beginning to add up....

• Advertisement

So €1000 for the soiled water added to the extra silage. Say you feed 1000 bales, 5% is an extra 50 bales. At €25 a bale. That’s €1250.

Now we’re at €2250 a year. Not accounting for the extra labour etc..... The €€€€€ are beginning to add up....
    I’d say 5% is conservative ,that’s just me .best move I made was roofing mine sheds here even on dry farm needed from early November to April every year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I’d say 5% is conservative ,that’s just me .best move I made was roofing mine sheds here even on dry farm needed from early November to April every year

Would you have been able to roof and put in the cubicles the same year? It's a mean to an end for some as the whole investment may not be feasible in one year and for others the location may suit with natural shelter or whatever. Everyone has seen cattle outwintered in similar conditions and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Stay calculating away there I’ll have a roof for nothing yet, will ring the bank or are you doing it.

I think I’ll continue making the payments on the land as I bought it 4 years ago this coming Tuesday with 2x3 span haybarns and parlour in situ.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Would you have been able to roof and put in the cubicles the same year? It's a mean to an end for some as the whole investment may not be feasible in one year and for others the location may suit with natural shelter or whatever. Everyone has seen cattle outwintered in similar conditions and nobody would bat an eyelid.
    As I said stop gap ,one and a small bit labour units here need things simple .only me no way I’d like cows outside during snow or spells weather like we have now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Have to agree on the feed its the first thing everyone says when they roof them.alot of guys do it like moo says as in slurry storage-cibicles-roof over a number of years.have in and outdoor ones here but the cows have acess to both.the only time you see the outdoor ones full is a dry bright day whereas the indoor ones are always full.planning to roof mine this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The cost of extra silage there is too high, imo. You'll only get losses on wet days. On normal winter days, the losses are the same as if there was a shed over the silage.

I had some uncovered cubicles for a while and it was manageable as long as some extra feed was given. We forget that cows being housed is a relatively recent thing. They have a large rumen that provides heat from fermentation every single day and the only time they come under pressure is when it's cold and wet. Every other weather situation causes no problem to cattle but when they're wet and it's windy, they will need more feed to make up for the heat lost in those conditions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The cost of extra silage there is too high, imo. You'll only get losses on wet days. On normal winter days, the losses are the same as if there was a shed over the silage.

I had some uncovered cubicles for a while and it was manageable as long as some extra feed was given. We forget that cows being housed is a relatively recent thing. They have a large rumen that provides heat from fermentation every single day and the only time they come under pressure is when it's cold and wet. Every other weather situation causes no problem to cattle but when they're wet and it's windy, they will need more feed to make up for the heat lost in those conditions.

Cattle obviously have always out but they always go for shelter.these days i have said.to myself that if cows had.a choice they definitely would stay where i have them at the moment. And that s with a 9.ft.wall around them and access to a house.i have yearlings out on a place and its.shelterey and the worse day you go over there and its grand ,not a puff.my point is its not the rain thats the problem as such its the wind.in wrong location you would give cows a hard time but in the right location the roof is only for the farmer/dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭straight

The milking area is roofed. I thought topless cubicles are banned or to be banned? Are they acceptable to bord bia?

straight wrote: »
    The milking area is roofed. I thought topless cubicles are banned or to be banned? Are they acceptable to bord bia?

Not banned if they were I wouldn’t be using them

• Advertisement

Does it work in snow?

Lol, yea we’re in a real snow zone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement